• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
God dang it, last post on previous page.

The curse continue.:drsad:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just realized that Hero technically took Incineroar's spot as the newest character on the roster since Eleven debuted in July of 2017.

At the very least, we now know that anyone before mid 2017 would've been considered.
Considering that we only knew the DQ3 Hero was gonna be in, the others could've been added later.

D

Deleted member

staindgrey staindgrey , what if we made a new poll thread about our favourite E3 reveals with the option of many votes per person allowed?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I looked through Hero's moveset again and I'm not sure how I feel. On one hand, I think the move where he can select from a variety of spells is very creative and unique. I was wondering when we'd get a character like that. On the other, the rest of his moveset just looks like a bad mashup of several swordfighters. I saw several attacks that looked almost identical to Link, Marth, Ike, and Shulk's.

I don't mean to be that annoying guy complaining about swordfighters, but I feel like Sakurai should focus on looking at other options besides characters who attack primarily with a sword. I don't doubt that he can do something to make them feel more original, but it's hard to not use a sword for anything outside the special attacks. On top of that, it's even harder trying to find a way to make that character's sword attacks feel different from other swordfighters'.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smash Ultimate Hero and Banjo Kazooie reveal: I have said it before, as long as it's a video game character I welcome anybody to be in Smash. However, I was still excited on both Hero from DQ and Banjo Kazooie from Banjo Kazooie. Funny how I've seen reaction man memes where western gamers aren't interested in Hero and went nuts on Banjo and Kazooie, and vice versa when it comes to Japanese gamers... But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who went nuts on BOTH of the character reveals lol. I mean both deserves to be in, and one has been requested from western fans for years.

Dragon Quest XI S: They don't even need to show that to me lol, we've know it's coming to Switch ever since 2015, the game looks great, better than any other versions. It's definitely gonna be a 2019 must have for me.

Astral Chain and Daemon X Machina: Two new Nintendo IPs from Platinum and Marvelous, and yes I will definitely get them both because both of these games really screams Xenoblade X wanna-be lol.

Animal Crossing New Horizon: As an AC fan, I ain't mad it's delayed, the gameplay looks very similar to the mobile but I think it looks fantastic nonetheless.

Trails of Mana: Now this is a Remake done right lol, I really like the designs, the aesthetics, everything! Can't wait to get this in 2020. This makes me beleive we will get more JRPGs in 2020.

And that's it for now, safe to say Nintendo "won" E3. Because they show more gameplay than CGI trailers... which I've found a bit of too much when it comes to other companies.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I looked through Hero's moveset again and I'm not sure how I feel. On one hand, I think the move where he can select from a variety of spells is very creative and unique. I was wondering when we'd get a character like that. On the other, the rest of his moveset just looks like a bad mashup of several swordfighters. I saw several attacks that looked almost identical to Link, Marth, Ike, and Shulk's.

I don't mean to be that annoying guy complaining about swordfighters, but I feel like Sakurai should focus on looking at other options besides characters who attack primarily with a sword. I don't doubt that he can do something to make them feel more original, but it's hard to not use a sword for anything outside the special attacks. On top of that, it's even harder trying to find a way to make that character's sword attacks feel different from other swordfighters'.
There is only so many way you can swing a sword after all, especially when one of your other hand is use for something else.

Even though I love mah boi Malos, Rex & Lloyd to get in, I admit that that all those swordfighter are starting to feel samey to me, so I really hope the next fighters we get are anything but swordfighters.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

joker's normal attacks were also largely a composite of previous fighters, presumably to save time in development

it's a weird symptom of some of the DLC so far, and hopefully one that banjo manages to escape from with his extra dev time

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
joker's normal attacks were also largely a weird composite of previous fighters, presumably to save time in development

it's a weird symptom of some of the DLC so far, and hopefully one that banjo manages to escape from with his extra dev time
Remember when PP used a copy of Falcon Punch?

That was pretty weirdly awesome.

EDIT: For real, Banjo already seem to have some move from DH, so it look like they are going to recycle some moves for him too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also I must say that no longer being concerned with who the next DLC fighters may be is so wonderful.

Once again I can look forward to a character and what they'll bring, and not worry about what comes after.

For example: which Hero design do you think you'll use the most? I'm probably going with Solo, but Eight looks really good too.
I feel the same way. My only major realistic want was a DQ character, and although I'd welcome any character as long as they're fun to play this in particular makes me so glad.
I'll probably use all of them equally, to be honest. I think for the four games that were chosen to represent as playable they chose the best ones they could have.

D

Deleted member

[QUOTE="Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, post: 23392587, member: 309456"] There is only so many way you can swing a sword after all, especially when one of your other hand is use for something else.

Even though I love mah boi Malos, Rex & Lloyd to get in, I admit that that all those swordfighter are starting to feel samey to me, so I really hope the next fighters we get are anything but swordfighters.[/QUOTE]
I think that's the main issue at play. I have no problem with the swordies we have, but there really are so many ways to utilize one. One handed or two-handed, pretty much. Switching between swordplay and magic, or using other weapons like a bow & arrow or boomerang in conjunction with a shield are all the ways they've tried to make different characters unique. For the Fire emblem characters, which are all very similar, the only choice there was to make some faster than others.

After this, I feel like every variation on Swordplay character has been done; it'd be risky to do any more since every avenue has been taken. I am interested to see how Hero works entirely. Im also curious to see if he'll get the Bowser Jr treatment in that his Alt costumes all have different names (Erdrick, Luminary, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
**** I missed my mark.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is only so many way you can swing a sword after all, especially when one of your other hand is use for something else.

Even though I love mah boi Malos, Rex & Lloyd to get in, I admit that that all those swordfighter are starting to feel samey to me, so I really hope the next fighters we get are anything but swordfighters.
Something to note is this is why I feel they have the magic meter as a mechanic. While we don't have as many different sword types as I'd hope, they needed a way to make the character stand out from the current swordfighters while representing the series well.

For a fun fact, this is very similar to what I had for a Slime moveset, being a focus on mainly disjointed hitbox strikes and magic.

Also, for your Lloyd comment from later, he's probably closer to what Robin is to some degree, but far more combo-like akin to Bayonetta and the two swords and tech heavily change him up from previous characters.

D

Deleted member

joker's normal attacks were also largely a composite of previous fighters, presumably to save time in development

A couple moves look like they were borrowed from Duck Hunt (dtilt and bair specifically), but maybe that's just because there's only so much you can do with a bird that uses their beak to attack.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

This is more of a symptom of having 75 freakin' characters and at least half of them being humanoid. When designing combat, if you try to go out of your way to make "unique" attacks when you've already made hundreds of them, then you make attacks that look bad, are hard to read, and don't feel cool. If anything, the amount of Joker's attacks that are entirely his own is incredibly impressive given how many characters have similar statures as he does in the game.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
With this many fighters, a character's uniqueness is best judged by their overall moveset, since individual moves can only function in so many ways before there's overlap.

I too think Smash should lay off the swordies for its remaining DLC. They can be fun but I'd really like something we at least have fewer instances of. Nonetheless, Hero's magic stuff looks like great fun to play around with.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean for what it's worth, Sakurai has also expressed a bit of sword fatigue (even saying he wished more heroes used axes) and I think it's noticeable this time around.

Unless you're one of those people who consider Ridley's tail and Kazooie to be swords for one reason or another, Chrom and the Hero were the only sword characters added this time around. One was a highly requested and popular character who became an echo, and the other is a huge Japanese cultural touchstone.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
With this many fighters, a character's uniqueness is best judged by their overall moveset, since individual moves can only function in so many ways before there's overlap.

I too think Smash should lay off the swordies for its remaining DLC. They can be fun but I'd really like something we at least have fewer instances of. Nonetheless, Hero's magic stuff looks like great fun to play around with.
Ummmm. Sorry about that but... Dark Souls or Tales are super likely and.... well... they use swords primarily. Artorias could work better because of his unique stance and Lloyd dual worlds, so they could have some more unique attacks. But.... dread it. Run from it. Swords arrive all the same.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ummmm. Sorry about that but... Dark Souls or Tales are super likely and.... well... they use swords primarily. Artorias could work better because of his unique stance and Lloyd dual worlds, so they could have some more unique attacks. But.... dread it. Run from it. Swords arrive all the same.
I honestly don't really think Dark Souls is too likely. Nothing more than a gut feeling though.

Also for what it's worth, Pit basically has a dual sword moveset, so that in itself isn't totally missing from the roster.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I mean for what it's worth, Sakurai has also expressed a bit of sword fatigue (even saying he wished more heroes used axes) and I think it's noticeable this time around.

Unless you're one of those people who consider Ridley's tail and Kazooie to be swords for one reason or another, Chrom and the Hero were the only sword characters added this time around. One was a highly requested and popular character who became an echo, and the other is a huge Japanese cultural touchstone.
Of course, the only pure Western character we have is a sword character.

What the hecc, Sakurai.:ghost088:

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, a lot of fighters share moves with each other. It's just a lot of people only notice the similarities when there's a sharp weapon involved.

I'd still rather having a unique character with a sword over a fighter who doesn't have anything new.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so uhh

after watching Hero and Banjo's trailers a few more times and listening to Brave New World from Namco X Capcom on repeat and even writing fan made English cover lyrics I uhhhhh felt the ol' creative juices for writing trailers flowing and did A Thing(TM):
Since DLC will indeed get trailers, as evidenced with Banjo and Hero, I'll write one for my hopeful next rep, which will be a Bandai Namco rep: KOS-MOS (74) and her Echo (more a Ken-style semi echo), T-elos (74ε). KOS-MOS has a new design exclusive to Smash that borrows from elements of her Xenosaga 2, 3, and Xenoblade 2 designs; and T-elos's design is based off her Xenoblade 2 design. There will be World of Light elements in this as with Hero's trailer.
song is below, refer to appropriate timestamps for certain parts. bolded + italicized lines indicate lyrics translations for potential subtitles or something (or potential English cover lyrics hmu if you wanna use em)
The setting is a sci-fi looking area in the Light realm as Galeem!King Dedede and Galeem!Ken attack Bayonetta and Palutena, who seem to be having trouble. The camera cuts briefly to a pair of heels walking along the metal walkway, and the song cuts to 0:14 as the following appears:
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
x
Xenosaga

Cut back to the mysterious woman, who seems to whip a pair of gatling guns out of seemingly nowhere and fires at the Galeem-controlled fighters, but not before calling out to Bayonetta and Palutena, "Get down." After the possessed fighters are pushed back, the witch and the goddess turn around to the combat android as she says:
"Target acquired."

KOS-MOS Locks On!

Begin first lyrical portion as basic gameplay with KOS-MOS, featuring her stage, is shown, including her fighting Mega Man:

In the silent city, the leaves gently sway
Even the street signposts seem like an illusion

No matter how much I call out for it
I cannot seem to reach the sky
That gets tainted and stretches out into infinity

Cut between CGI footage of KOS-MOS and the other two facing more Galeem controlled fighters and more gameplay as these lyrics play (0:57):

I incline my ears to the sky
That divides this world asunder
(Brave New World)
And I hear a voice inviting me

I look up at the boundless sky that divides this world asunder
(Brave New World)
And I know the world’s all but a stage

Back to CGI as the three seem to be outnumbered, and a familiar face steps in as the song cuts to 1:39:

The lines that divide these brave new worlds begin to blur
And now the light and the dark start to fuse together and become one

Another android woman similar to KOS-MOS, but with violet body armor and silver hair, lands in front of the three and says, "Wow, KOS-MOS. Didn't know you were this incompetent." She draws a laser scythe and takes a combat stance as:

T-elos Cuts To The Chase?!

Cue the song skipping to 2:25 as T-elos gameplay is shown, including Namco Gang Represent aka PAC-MAN, KOS-MOS and T-elos taunting together, along with a Mii Swordfighter wearing the Lloyd Irving costume, a Gunner wearing a Klonoa hat, and a Brawler wearing the Heihachi costume:

Up above, the sky beyond my reach divides this world asunder
And in turn, this brave new world is born anew

I look up at the boundless sky that divides this world asunder
(Brave New World)
And I know the world’s all but a stage

Final Smashes shown at 2:51, starting with KOS-MOS's X-Buster (which starts with her announcing, "Charging!") against Galeem-controlled Inkling Boy, Chrom, and Zelda on Hero's stage; and T-elos's U-TENERITAS (which starts with her saying, "Had enough yet?") against Dharkon-controlled Female Corrin, Captain Falcon, and Joker on Persona 4-themed Mementos:

And therefore

I won’t hesitate anymore
I won’t look back anymore
I’ll just keep running on
Toward the boundless sky

Back to CGI, the Galeem fighters surround the four as Palutena and Bayonetta give the two android ladies a boost toward Galeem. Cut back to gameplay; showing off a new World of Light Co-Op mode as KOS-MOS attacks Galeem and T-elos attacks Dharkon in the final battle as the song cuts to 3:07 and plays until the end:

With all my power
I pray with all my heart
That my soul does not get scattered in the wind
I want to hold on
To my dreams and wishes
And keep on running
To the brave new world that awaits…!

Before the trailer ends, you hear one familiar voice saying, "That put a dent in them," and another saying "I'm gonna go all out", teasing at Elma being the final character of Fighter Pass 1 (75), bundled with Mecha-Fiora (75ε).

end trailer
Flyboy Flyboy KarneraMythos KarneraMythos PsySmasher PsySmasher

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Lmao Hero apparantly has Ike's Nair. Instant high tier
... So, has zoning capabilities, and has that cursed nair. I feel like I already know this match-up will be hell for Ridley.
IMG_20190602_150955.png

Ivander

Smash Legend

It is noticeable.
Luckily, in the case of a Tales rep, Lloyd has Dual Swords, so he certainly be more different. For Yuri, I will stand my ground that he can definitely be much more different than a normal sword user. And what's more, you can actually replace his sword with an Axe for the exact same moveset, which would be great for an Alternate costume.
Look, he's even fighting with his fists and feet while using a sword/axe and they are part of his 'specials' too. Only Ganondorf and Shulk(in his case, only his normal A combo) have used their fists alongside their sword.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be honest, a lot of fighters share moves with each other. It's just a lot of people only notice the similarities when there's a sharp weapon involved.

I'd still rather having a unique character with a sword over a fighter who doesn't have anything new.
I think it's a little worse with swords because the fighter has a limited number of ways the sword can be used. Plus, the sword makes up almost all of their tilts, Smash attacks, and aerials. Unless you're Corrin, if you've got a sword, then that's probably what you'll be using for most of your non-special attacks.

I'd just prefer he stay away from swords altogether. Seems like it'd be easier to make a character unique if they aren't restricted by a common weapon like a sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom