• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Been a few months since I swapped avatars, about to go through a character crisis of avatars for a bit. Or I'll just go back to another Chazz.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
What's happenin y'all?
The lack of Smash content at the Game Awards has completely drained whatever little desire I had left to live, so now I'm seconds away from raising this hallowed blade to my throat and escaping this accursed world.

God damn thee, Geoff, and may you drown in Hell with your Doritos and Mountain Dew.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m expecting this month, but because Christmas holiday, A direct would have to be next week.

so not getting my hopes too up, but a direct in January for #5? Nah, doesn’t seem likely to me.

If we’re talking about #5 AND the first extra DLC? Yeah, I can see it. But just #5? I X to doubt that.
They usually have a general direct in January or February to reveal all kinds of stuff.
The lack of Smash content at the Game Awards has completely drained whatever little desire I had left to live, so now I'm seconds away from raising this hallowed blade to my throat and escaping this accursed world.

God damn thee, Geoff, and may you drown in Hell with your Doritos and Mountain Dew.
I know your joking. But this seriously almost happened to me. I spoke about it with my therapist this morning. I know how rediculous it was in hindsight. But when you get that emotional you can’t think with logic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last year's TGA was underwhelming (one in a million+ scenario) and I outright refused to watch this year's because I knew the game I wanted to see wouldn't be shown in it. But I'm not too disappointed this time. I found it odd there wasn't anything big. Here's your Bravely and MUA3 DLC. That's it. We're done. Goodbye. Not even the fifth fighter pack.

I do look forward to next year. That should be much better.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not revealing a character at the game awards just doesn’t make sense. Other games studios have an excuse, they’re gearing up for the launch of two big new systems. But what was Nintendo’s reasoning for bringing nothing of their own when they easily could have dominated the show? Not to mention that there are no real opportunities to do a reveal in December and they don’t do January directs anymore. But they also won’t reveal and release a character in the same month, and Sakurai said that fighter 5 is completely finished anyway! Nothing adds up. The world we live in right now should not exist.
Last year's TGA was underwhelming (one in a million+ scenario) and I outright refused to watch this year's because I knew the game I wanted to see wouldn't be shown in it. But I'm not too disappointed this time. I found it odd there wasn't anything big. Here's your Bravely and MUA3 DLC. That's it. We're done. Goodbye. Not even the fifth fighter pack.

I do look forward to next year. That should be much better.
I mean. Last year we got a Smash reveal, UA3, Crash Team Racing, and..... probably something else I just don’t remember. There were some really good moments. This year was the really underwhelming one because they didn’t really show anything new and what new they did show all blended together because it was all so similar. At least that fakeout Gun bunny game would have been something visually different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not revealing a character at the game awards just doesn’t make sense. Other games studios have an excuse, they’re gearing up for the launch of two big new systems. But what was Nintendo’s reasoning for bringing nothing of their own when they easily could have dominated the show? Not to mention that there are no real opportunities to do a reveal in December and they don’t do January directs anymore. But they also won’t reveal and release a character in the same month, and Sakurai said that fighter 5 is completely finished anyway! Nothing adds up. The world we live in right now should not exist.

I mean. Last year we got a Smash reveal, UA3, Crash Team Racing, and..... probably something else I just don’t remember. There were some really good moments. This year was the really underwhelming one because they didn’t really show anything new and what new they did show all blended together because it was all so similar. At least that fakeout Gun bunny game would have been something visually different.
I more so just cover the Nintendo bits only. I'm indifferent on CTR. I don't care much for comic books, so MUA3 didn't do it for me and I wasn't too pleased with Joker myself even though I ironically bought him because there was nothing to use the eShop funds on. That's my fault. I don't want to feel "fake" and buy Smash characters in the wake of the hype. It's a lame behavior, and even more so when we're talking about someone who doesn't play the game too much (me). Like I mentioned, it's a one-in-a-million+ scenario. 2017's was funny and I thank Josef Fares for it.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Do you guys think an Direct will be announced next week? Its wishful thinking I'll admit but wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the possibility.

Still expecting January though.
Has Nintendo ever done traditional Directs in December before?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
makes sense to me. Of the character isnt Game Awards worthy, they arent gonna show it
You’ve got to be ****ting me.

Last week I was all over that whole mentality and everyone was ganging up on me because “it’s exciting just because it’s Smash!”

Be consistent at the very least.
My ****ing GOD fighter 5 not showing IS NOT the end of the ****ing world. You'll get it when you get it, you ****ing entitled children

ugh
Why are you so ****ing mad about people being disappointed?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My ****ing GOD fighter 5 not showing IS NOT the end of the ****ing world.
Not revealing a character at the game awards just doesn’t make sense.
It wasn't just the lack of character, at least in my eyes - I found it really weird that Nintendo brought nothing of their own, with the only brand-new Switch announcement being Bravely Default 2. From what I recall, the only other Switch announcements that we got were No More Heroes 3's trailer giving more details about the story, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3's X-Men DLC.

I figured those Switch commercials where the main point was, rather confusingly, that the Nintendo Switch has games (which is stating the obvious) were building up to something, like the three different Smash trailers from last year that built up to Joker's announcement, and yet we got no announcements from Nintendo themselves, and the Nintendo-related announcements that we did get were relatively minor.

Not exactly an end-of-the-world scenario, but it's just weird given Nintendo's history with this show.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
While the Game Awards is still fresh, can we talk about how nutty that NMH 3 trailer was? Imagine if E.T. had an alternate ending where he rolls up to Earth with a ****ing warship 20 years later.

"Hey Elliot! Long time no see! Wanna enslave humanity?"

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
They're more or less the same but 2 has more characters, a bunch more characters.

They just added Android 21 to the roster. So that's neat I guess.
Android 21 is cool. At least she actually has moves and ****.

Unlike the useless Freeza soldiers they keep padding the rosters with like...Appule.

The guy that literally never fought and thus has no canon abilities.

D

Deleted member

t wasn't just the lack of character, at least in my eyes - I found it really weird that Nintendo brought nothing of their own, with the only brand-new Switch announcement being Bravely Default 2.
um excuse me, you're forgetting the biggest announcement of all
1576259388784.png

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well I'm gonna try out Disco Elysium later today. I believe it received the most awards at the game awards so I'm interested in what the game is about.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It wasn't just the lack of character, at least in my eyes - I found it really weird that Nintendo brought nothing of their own, with the only brand-new Switch announcement being Bravely Default 2. From what I recall, the only other Switch announcements that we got were No More Heroes 3's trailer giving more details about the story, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3's X-Men DLC.

I figured those Switch commercials where the main point was, rather confusingly, that the Nintendo Switch has games (which is stating the obvious) were building up to something, like the three different Smash trailers from last year that built up to Joker's announcement, and yet we got no announcements from Nintendo themselves, and the Nintendo-related announcements that we did get were relatively minor.

Not exactly an end-of-the-world scenario, but it's just weird given Nintendo's history with this show.
look, I understand being disapointed but for got sakes, the fact people are getting depressed over no fighter 5 showing is atrocious. It reaks of a child who just got told they couldnt have a toy at the store and could get it later on but the child is all "I WANT IT NOW"

freaking Veruca Salt

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Honestly, I'm less mad at the lack of big Nintendo reveal and more so at the ****ty weather this morning.

No really, it was horrible.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
look, I understand being disapointed but for got sakes, the fact people are getting depressed over no fighter 5 showing is atrocious. It reaks of a child who just got told they couldnt have a toy at the store and could get it later on but the child is all "I WANT IT NOW"
Ok. Now I’m starting to get mad at you. I got depressed because there was nothing there for me. All I wanted was something. It could have been Smash. It could have been something else. Something is not unreasonable to expect. And it is not entitled to be upset that you got nothing instead. It’s just like E3.

Not to mention that I struggle with actual clinical depression.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

tbh i think it's valid to be disappointed at the lack of nintendo **** at vga (besides panda bc he won)
to be straight upset, however, is definitely another matter

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well, I've covered half of my Christmas shopping so far.

It's quite difficult to decide on what to buy for people when no one is willing to throw out ideas... :/

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Same. Luckily nothing too bad over except rain, but iced roads are still frustrating. Not looking forward to heading to work later today
Hope you the best pal, while I don't have a car, walking in the snow while it's raining is like the worst thing ever, especially in the morning.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Ok. Now I’m starting to get mad at you. I got depressed because there was nothing there for me. All I wanted was something. It could have been Smash. It could have been something else. Something is not unreasonable to expect. And it is not entitled to be upset that you got nothing instead. It’s just like E3.

Not to mention that I struggle with actual clinical depression.
well then you are an exception and I wasnt targeting you then

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the worst thing is people seriously underselling the Bravely Default 2 reveal. Like, that alone is pretty huge and I'm not even a Bravely fan.

D

Deleted member

I'm not disappointed at the lack of a fighter.
I'm disappointed that there was nearly NOTHING that I cared about.
There was SUPPOSED to be a Sonic appearance... but that didn't happen.
And Nintendo didn't have anything of their own to show off.
Honestly, I kinda think they should've saved the Breath of The Wild 2 Reveal for the VGAs. That way they would've had SOMETHING.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Honestly the worst thing is people seriously underselling the Bravely Default 2 reveal. Like, that alone is pretty huge and I'm not even a Bravely fan.
Now why would they be doing that??
tbh i think it's valid to be disappointed at the lack of nintendo **** at vga (besides panda bc he won)
to be straight upset, however, is definitely another matter
maybe you can explain it because that is what I am trying to say but Im ****ty at explaining stuff and they will listen to you

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just got both Re 2 Remake and Devil May Cry 5 for under $60. Now that's a steal. Get on it if you want either game

D

Deleted member

I mean, I dunno how popular the games are, so just ignore me if I’m wrong, but what kinda huge we talking? The games seem neat and all, but nothing that makes it stand out to me(outside of the graphics)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

freaking Veruca Salt
I think that a big problem is that people found the whole show to be disappointing, with the lack of a Smash reveal being the icing on the cake (it likely didn't help that the show ran late).

As someone who doesn't really care about Magic the Gathering, League of Legends, Fortnite, or which console has the best graphics, there wasn't much announced in that show that I had any interest in (a whopping total of one new game that I actually wanted to play, and an update on two others, and none of those even came close to the excitement that I got from announcements from other years like Joker in Smash, Bayonetta 3, or Psychonauts 2)

I feel like people are overreacting about the lack of a fifth fighter (we've still got half of December for a Direct - I believe the one that revealed Little Mac in Smash 4 came out in December), though depending on your preferences in gaming, I could easily see why the show would be seen as disappointing, dull, or a waste of three hours.

At the very least, it seems like it would have made sense for the fifth Fighters Pass character to be revealed there (since Nintendo usually brings something to the Game Awards, as opposed to bringing nothing this year, and there's not a ton of time for them to reveal it if it takes a few months after a character's revealed for them to be released and they want to get them all released by February), so I can see why expectations were high and people feel let down.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I feel like people are overreacting about the lack of a fifth fighter
That is what I am trying to saaayyyy. Everyone is overreacting and **** it just rubs ne the wrong way and pisses me off when we all know it will come sometime later but everyone wants it NOW. Thats why I said Veruca Salt

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

maybe you can explain it because that is what I am trying to say but Im ****ty at explaining stuff and they will listen to you
this isn't the norm pumpka i usually just put letters next to each other and hope for the best and occasionally, very rarely, they manage to form a coherent thought

monkey typewriter shakespeare etc etc

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not disappointed at the lack of a fighter.
I'm disappointed that there was nearly NOTHING that I cared about.
There was SUPPOSED to be a Sonic appearance... but that didn't happen.
And Nintendo didn't have anything of their own to show off.
Honestly, I kinda think they should've saved the Breath of The Wild 2 Reveal for the VGAs. That way they would've had SOMETHING.
What Geoff said was "Sonic MAY make an appearance."

And he did. He was in the background of Green Day's performance.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Outside of the game event, did smash do anything for its 1 year? feels underwhelming. The biggest smash game has nothing for its one year. Iwata's last request of sakurai turned one year. and we have a banner.

feels like a missed opportunity.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
People are are now thinkin' TGA not revealing is a hint towards who FP5 is and that there's some conspiracy as to why TGA didn't have a reveal.

January's gonna be rough for speculation if this is the kind of conversation we can expect, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom