• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seriously. We couldn’t get one femininely designed starter? Even if it couldn’t have been Grookey it should have been at least one of them.
The thing is that most of the starters in general aren't really gender coded.

Non-coded/Monsterous Design/Neutral: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Torterra, Serperior, Emboar, Chesnaught, Greninja, Decidueye, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon

Explicitly male coded: Infernape (literally based on Sun Wu-kong), Empoleon (name involves Napoleon and the trident imagery invokes Poseidon), Samurott (has a beard), Incineroar (very macho wrestler-like appearance)

Explicitly female coded: Delphox (based on a witch, and is especially noticeable with Braixen), Primarina (name invokes primadonna, based on a siren [and a selkie but still])

So of the 24 final starter evolutions, I'd honestly only say four are male coded and two are female coded. The rest are fairly neutral.

Noipoi

Howdy!
SMT5 will be the last Nintendo Switch release in the winter before the Switch U releases in spring 2024.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The thing is that most of the starters in general aren't really gender coded.

Non-coded/Monsterous Design/Neutral: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Torterra, Serperior, Emboar, Chesnaught, Greninja, Decidueye, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon

Explicitly male coded: Infernape (literally based on Sun Wu-kong), Empoleon (name involves Napoleon and the trident imagery invokes Poseidon), Samurott (has a beard), Incineroar (very macho wrestler-like appearance)

Explicitly female coded: Delphox (based on a witch, and is especially noticeable with Braixen), Primarina (name invokes primadonna, based on a siren [and a selkie but still])

So of the 24 final starter evolutions, I'd honestly only say four are male coded and two are female coded. The rest are fairly neutral.
Add Rillaboom to the explicit male category. In fact, a lot of your “non-coded ones are actually masculine coded”.

Cinderace looks tomboy girlish to me. Sure it doesn’t have a frilly dress, but it looks like a sporty chick.
I can.... kind of see that argument. But a tomboy design isn’t really a feminine one. Not to mention it’s about Sports.

I just wanted to be able to connect with my starter. It’s supposed to be your faithful companion across the whole journey and my only options are A) use one I don’t like, this blocking my ability to bond with it, B) force it to not evolve which probably hurts the Pokémon, or C) release it as soon as I get it and just... abandon it in the wild. And none of those options sound very good, to me at least.

I think, personally, the previous “masculine one, feminine one, and cool one” trope they were using was the best option to appeal to the widest variety of people. And I can’t really understand why they would abandon that coverage.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think, personally, the previous “masculine one, feminine one, and cool one” trope they were using was the best option to appeal to the widest variety of people. And I can’t really understand why they would abandon that coverage.
They kinda didn’t though.

Rillaboom is buff, Inteleon is cool, Cinderace is feminine in a more athletic way.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Add Rillaboom to the explicit male category. In fact, a lot of your “non-coded ones are actually masculine coded”.

I can.... kind of see that argument. But a tomboy design isn’t really a feminine one. Not to mention it’s about Sports.

I just wanted to be able to connect with my starter. It’s supposed to be your faithful companion across the whole journey and my only options are A) use one I don’t like, this blocking my ability to bond with it, B) force it to not evolve which probably hurts the Pokémon, or C) release it as soon as I get it and just... abandon it in the wild. And none of those options sound very good, to me at least.

Rillaboom isn't gender coded. It just looks like a gorilla.

You see this?

That's Rillaboom. You may think it looks masculine, but you know what? That's a female gorilla (RIP Koko btw).

Rillaboom isn't gender coded. It's just a gorilla, and that's a-okay.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also Rillaboom is gonna be absolutely nuts when its Hidden Ability gets released. It just makes it into Tapu Bulu with just slightly less Attack and a much better movepool.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
And the SwSh spirit event has started.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Doesn't seem like they added the Daemon x Machina or Tetris ones back in.

You'll probably have to wait for the next major patch (ie next character).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean... making every final evolution non-gender-coded would make them appealing to even more people, which is what they did.

D

Deleted member

Also Rillaboom is gonna be absolutely nuts when its Hidden Ability gets released. It just makes it into Tapu Bulu with just slightly less Attack and a much better movepool.
What? I thought his hidden ability was to win instantly no matter the character or pokemon. Maybe that's just it's natural ability though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing is they never really needed that coverage. As Opossum pointed out, at least 3/4 of the starters don't lean towards any particular gender and of the generations as a whole, all except one didn't rely on that 'masculine/feminine/cool' trope and still appealed to a wide audience. While there can be an appeal to having the starters reflect certain genders, history has shown that the series does not need to rely on that to appeal to the masses. Many fans like the starters regardless of that trait, so it's not something they absolutely need to do to appeal to them.

>The face you make when OU is so weak that you make it in anyway

View attachment 247674
Laugh now while you can, but once he gets Sand Rush he's going to smack your team in the face with a powered up Bolt Beak.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No, you have to wait the 5 minutes after getting each one.
That's actually not the case. Using Filler refreshes them once you've beaten them.

Source: My Switch had 10% battery life and I just managed to get all four before it died.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Got all the SwSh spirits!
That's actually not the case. Using Filler refreshes them once you've beaten them.

Source: My Switch had 10% battery life and I just managed to get all four before it died.
Was it the case before then? Whenever I used filler on the previous events it just gave me a normal spirit.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The thing is they never really needed that coverage. As Opossum pointed out, at least 3/4 of the starters don't lean towards any particular gender and of the generations as a whole, all except two didn't rely on that 'masculine/feminine/cool' trope and still appealed to a wide audience. While there can be an appeal to having the starters reflect certain genders, history has shown that the series does not need to rely on that to appeal to the masses. Many fans like the starters regardless of that trait, so it's not something they absolutely need to do to appeal to them.

Laugh now while you can, but once he gets Sand Rush he's going to smack your team in the face with a powered up Bolt Beak.
It's already seeing play with Hustle as a Substitute focused set, actually.

Granted, right now, TTar is having a rough time in OU as it is due to the prevalence of Rain and Barraskewda having Close Combat for SFR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom