• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Spongebob is honestly a franchise that should have ended since the first movie as originality planned.

As with The Simpsons, Family Guy, Ice Age, Sci-Fi classics (Terminator, Alien, Predator), classic Slashers (Halloween notably). Its okay for an franchise to end and if you want to continue it do something different as the Child's Play reboot had shown rather then repeating the same thing from previous movies.

Just my opinion and two cents.
The first few seasons are actually pretty funny. But then after the creator and a bunch of the original staff left it just became kind of soulless.
Without getting too carried away. That's not getting started with the episodes One Course Meal, A Pal for Gary and such. Who thought such episodes would appeal to audiences?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm thinking of doing a Pokemon ribbon challenge, but I can't really decide which one to pick. I'm excluding the purification ribbon from Colosseum/XD because it would severely narrow down the potential Pokemon. I'm trying to decide between Chimecho and shiny Bellossom, as I love them both. And while I slightly prefer Chimecho, Bellossom has the advantage of being in Galar though.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
CN is in a much better spot than Nick atm in terms of the quality of shows IMO. Problem is the Networking part with the poor scheduling of shows and constant hiatuses.

Nick only has a few things and then otherwise has like a whole bunch of different shows which makes it good for variety, I guess.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ok off topic but.. what is "COPPA"? Two youtube channels I watch are already discussing quitting over it.
COPPA is the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act - from what I'm reading, it's unclear what would be considered content that should be labeled as being for children, and if Youtube, the FTC, or whoever else decides that the content is for kids and isn't labelled as such, then the channel could be hit with fines.

Basically, Youtube's making a bunch of big changes while being unclear about who those changes apply to. On a similar note, the terms of use were recently updated to say that entire channels could be shut down if they're deemed to not be commercially viable, even though it's not clear what that means or who they're targeting with that statement. (in theory, if a channel isn't making enough money, it could be shut down, which seems disastrous for basically every single small channel out there)

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Spongebob is honestly a franchise that should have ended since the first movie as originality planned.

As with The Simpsons, Family Guy, Ice Age, Sci-Fi classics (Terminator, Alien, Predator), classic Slashers (Halloween notably). Its okay for an franchise to end and if you want to continue it do something different as the Child's Play reboot had shown rather then repeating the same thing from previous movies.

Just my opinion and two cents.

Without getting too carried away. That's not getting started with the episodes One Course Meal, A Pal for Gary and such. Who thought such episodes would appeal to audiences?
Friday the 13th but it's just a guy who put on a hockey mask in school and decided to go on a murder spree.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
COPPA is the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act - from what I'm reading, it's unclear what would be considered content that should be labeled as being for children, and if Youtube, the FTC, or whoever else decides that the content is for kids and isn't labelled as such, then the channel could be hit with fines.

Basically, Youtube's making a bunch of big changes while being unclear about who those changes apply to. On a similar note, the terms of use were recently updated to say that entire channels could be shut down if they're deemed to not be commercially viable, even though it's not clear what that means or who they're targeting with that statement. (in theory, if a channel isn't making enough money, it could be shut down, which seems disastrous for basically every single small channel out there)
That's so ridiculous.
I miss old youtube :(

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Jessie/James originate from the anime so I don't think they would be eligible. I mean, if Sakurai really had his heart set on including them in Smash, yeah, probably. But characters themselves still have to originate from/be created for video games in mind; usually outside material only gets referenced if it's not a character (Misty's anime design is the Melee trophy but her description still talks about her in the games, etc.).
Ash Greninja originated in anime and yet it is Greninja’s Final Smash.

When Sakurai said no to non-video game characters I think he was talking about characters like Goku from Dragon Ball and Iron Man from Marvel Comics. I don’t think he was talking about characters from anime based on Nintendo’s own IPs.

If Jessie and James somehow actually get in Smash, the game can say Jessie and James are from Pokémon Let’s Go and not from the anime. The trophies can talk about them in Pokémon Let’s Go. Their fighter spirits can be their Pokémon Let’s Go art.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's so ridiculous.
I miss old youtube :(
My favorite movie reviewer Ramboraph4life I've watched for so long is apparently closing his account as a result of it. This really sucks...:(

Although I'll be following him on Bitchute and I still have ocpcommunications who is staying.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel so damn bad for these things.

It's not even like the amalgams in Undertale, these things are literally suffering
Dracovish can't even breathe on land.
Screenshot_20191117-161219_Google.jpg

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ok off topic but.. what is "COPPA"? Two youtube channels I watch are already discussing quitting over it.
A new FTC rule that's now affecting YouTube, where you have to mark your channel/videos as either for kids or not for kids.

Millions of kids watch YouTube. It's probably the most lucrative market on the site. My younger siblings watch YouTube all the time, with these videos made by adults that are remarkably stupid, obnoxious, and low-effort, but they're targeted towards kids and they have millions of subscribers and hundreds of millions of views. Think about that in comparison to your own favorite channels, and the difference is likely staggering.

Some of these channels are parents making videos with their kids playing video games or doing other activities, and they even get offered free trips to places like Disney and Atlantis so they can film their family trip there and create free marketing for millions of kids who will then ask their parents if they can go there. And this kind of stuff has been going on for years, but most adults/teenagers just don't notice because this stuff doesn't pop up for older people.

However, some YouTube channels targeting kids have more sinister, mysterious intentions. There's been a lot of videos in these categories that try to spring gore/horror and sexual themes on kids. The infamous "Spider-Man and Elsa" videos are one such mystery, created by adults on camera who are probably deranged in some way. I've also heard of things like Winnie the Pooh videos being made that have horror stuff in them later in the video to try and scare kids. It's incredibly sickening.

I think the main thing, though, was that there was some controversy regarding one aforementioned type of channel with parents and children, where the parents were doing things with/to their children that were pretty close to abusive (I think it was like they were scaring them in some way or something). That channel got a lot of heat and was discussed in the news, and I think it got shut down.

Then of course you have some YouTubers who just simply don't show discretion in how they make/market their videos, making videos about games like Fortnite or Minecraft but using profanity and suggestive content or language despite knowing or not knowing whether their videos are being viewed by kids.

COPPA basically has YouTube deciding to nuke channels that break that regulation. If your videos are marked for kids but are deemed inappropriate for kids, then they'll just take the whole thing down. It's another case of the government breathing down YouTube's neck, because these kinds of things have been going on for years, but YouTube hasn't put any effort into solving them in a reasonable manner. They've had plenty of time, but it wasn't a priority until just now.

A lot of the concern is presumptious. In theory, all you have to do is hit the big button on your channel that says "No, set this channel as not made for kids. I never upload content that's made for kids" like I did this morning and you have nothing to worry about. In theory, it should be the channels that mark themselves as for kids and then produce content that contains unarguably inappropriate content for kids that should be affected.

The larger issue comes from channels who don't explicitly make their content for kids, but aren't profane or otherwise explicitly mature. Arlo is a big example of this, as he's a family-friendly Muppet who never uses profanity or vulgarity and mainly covers Nintendo games, but sometimes covers/discusses horror games or other M-rated games. What's he supposed to do? What if one of his videos covering a more mature video game causes his channel to get flagged and deleted?

And I don't think it's entirely clear how much of this is decided by YouTube's infamous AI bot that analyzes videos, or how much of this is at the discretion of real human beings who browse these videos in search of things that might be inappropriate for kids. Neither situation is good since the infractions are so nebulous that no one knows what will and will not get you in trouble.

It's just another bullet point in the long list of things YouTube is doing to make things difficult for the average content creator because they're completely out of touch with normal people on YouTube.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Oh look , something else all Children and dumb parents ruined for everyone else

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Just beat the fifth gym leader. Probably my most favorite gym so far.
Cinderace: 42
Boltund: 42
Corviknight: 41
Linoone: 41
Mr. Mime: 41
Weezing: 41

Weezing is ****ing amazing.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
All of the Youtubers should move to Newgrounds and Twitch.
I'm surprised P-ornhub haven't made a general video branch site yet. With the great PR social media team they have, they could easily draw in content creators and wreck Youtube.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wanna work more on my Paper Mario game ideas tonight and I decided to gather up a lot of species/enemies exclusive to this universe and I wanted to ask stuff like which would you like to see return or which I could try and do something special with like an NPC, Boss, new variant, maybe even a new partner.

A Boomboxer partner who would help you solve music related puzzles could be pretty neat.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Hypothetically speaking, if I were able to choose the remaining newcomers, it would be

FP1
5. Lloyd Irving

FP2
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Master Chief
4. Heihachi
5. Dante

FP3
1. Monokuma
2. Doom Slayer
3. Sora
4. Scorpion
5. Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy

FP4

1. Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Kratos
4. Gordon Freeman
5. Monster Hunter

How would you all rate this?

(And Steve is a bonus character)
It’s fine, Kratos over Sackboy hurts so it’s fine

I still think it's a little disrespectful for Nickelodeon to order all of these spinoffs after Hillenburg passed away. From what I can recall, he was against the idea of a Spongebob spinoff.
Yeah, he also said he never wanted the Origins of Spongebob to be shown, but guess what’s happening in the new movie
That’s why I refuse to watch that movie, too disrespectful

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Uh, I guess I enjoy playing video games?

also sorry i took so long
Oh okay, that's cool. :-P

What games are you currently playing? I've been dabbling in a little Dragon Quest 3 and Pokemon Sword myself, although I haven't really touched the former in a couple of weeks now.

Oh, and no worries about being a little late in answering; a late response is better than no response at all lol.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
IIRC those Spider-Man kids videos on YouTube were part of some elaborate cult ARG game. Nexpo has a video on it, I believe.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
A Boomboxer partner who would help you solve music related puzzles could be pretty neat.
Yeah, I was thinking about incorporating a bard like partner, originally considered a Crazee Daisy but I feel like the aesthetic would be overkill with :ultdaisy: as a partner already. I’ll probably go for it as I started thinking of some abilities already

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I miss the good ol days of youtube in 2009. Full of extremely stupid videos and no one cared about making a profit. God I feel old.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, I was thinking about incorporating a bard like partner, originally considered a Crazee Daisy but I feel like the aesthetic would be overkill with :ultdaisy: as a partner already. I’ll probably go for it as I started thinking of some abilities already
How many partners have you already decided on?

D

Deleted member

I just realized all the characters I voice, evil or good, are characters people like.

I’m not voicing anyone the reader despises.

Guess I gotta fix that. /s

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Guys...I don't know if this was shared yet, and if it was, please don't hate me for saying it again, but...

They are making a spinoff of Spongebob with Squidward as the star.
There is now new meaning in life.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, Spongebob is still carrying Nickelodeon nowadays. I don't have time to watch it being in uni with no cable, but when I do, I still end up laughing quite a bit, even with the latest seasons. The last couple of seasons in particular stepped up their game a lot, I mean, the 20th anniversary special is amongst my favorite Spongebob specials, and would have been an amazing way to end the series.

The Loud House is fine too, just... it can't carry Nick, like at all.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Oh okay, that's cool. :-P

What games are you currently playing? I've been dabbling in a little Dragon Quest 3 and Pokemon Sword myself, although I haven't really touched the former in a couple of weeks now.

Oh, and no worries about being a little late in answering; a late response is better than no response at all lol.
I unfortunately haven't had the chance to play many games lately. And I have a lot of games I need to play lol

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, if you guys want to talk of Nick shows going downhill, the Fairly Odd Parents got it WAY than Spongebob. You could still salvage and redeem Spongebob, the FOP was at the point of no return.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just pre-purchased Halo: the Master Chief Collection on Steam. (probably foolish of me to do that before reviews come in, but I figure it will run fine) My Xbox 360 doesn't play original Xbox games, so it seems like a good opportunity to play Halo 1 and 2. (I haven't played Halo 1 before, and I only played a bit of Halo 2 - my first Halo game was Halo 3, so I was a little confused about the story as a result)

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Also, if you guys want to talk of Nick shows going downhill, the Fairly Odd Parents got it WAY than Spongebob. You could still salvage and redeem Spongebob, the FOP was at the point of no return.
Imagine if they brought Jimmy Neutron back.

I know Danny Phantom had a proposed reboot but never got greenlit unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom