• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now that I think about it, Terry may be next week. I don't think they'd reveal him around Luigi's Mansion 3's release.

That said, how long after the prepearing (private video, maintenance, etc.) do the DLC characters come out?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well there's the obvious choice: DQ. Journey also did that pretty well IIRC (I need to replay that soon). I admittedly don't have a very wide set of experiences with games but that's generally supposed to be a big draw for JRPGs.
Wait. I’m confused? Don’t RPGs have a **** tone of customization and player choice?

Journey is a good example though. Forgot about that one.
Yeah, me too. November 1st would be a little too early for me.
Yeesh. Everyone was really on it a few hours ago. And now the general attitude is this. Just... why?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait. I’m confused? Don’t RPGs have a **** tone of customization and player choice?

Player choice is very linear in RPGs. You typically always shoot for one ending that's obtained by one set of conditions. For example, despite Persona having a ton of customization and player choice, only like one or two choices directly affect the ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Zinith Zinith so the concept I had for this potential bard character is that he would use some jingles/songs from the Mario series (and potentially other Nintendo series) for different abilities.

• SMB3 Warp Whistle: fast travel system in field, summons a tornado to attack enemies in battle
  • Piranha Plant’s Lullaby: puts enemies and NPCs to sleep in and out of battle
Would you be willing to help me come up with some others?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Zinith Zinith so the concept I had for this potential bard character is that he would use some jingles/songs from the Mario series (and potentially other Nintendo series) for different abilities.

• SMB3 Warp Whistle: fast travel system in field, summons a tornado to attack enemies in battle
  • Piranha Plant’s Lullaby: puts enemies and NPCs to sleep in and out of battle
Would you be willing to help me come up with some others?
This'll probably be a very support-heavy character. I'd say only like one attack would actually deal damage, while the others have status effects. I should also note that one variant of Crazee Dayzees blows bubbles and it kinda messes up Yoshi's platforming. Maybe that'll be the attack :yoshi:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Player choice is very linear in RPGs. You typically always shoot for one ending that's obtained by one set of conditions. For example, despite Persona having a ton of customization and player choice, only like one or two choices directly affect the ending.
I see.

Maybe I’m just a freak. But when I played Bayonetta, especially 2, I really connected with her character and I felt what she was feeling. Having to kill your own father for the fate of the world, and then meeting him before he was evil and witnessing his downfall... I don’t know why but I really felt how she felt.

And then I played the entire god of war saga and I felt all that times 10. A desperate man who made bad descisions, blinded by rage doing everything he can to fix it, stone for it, and make sure it never happened again.... I relate so god damn much to that and with each game, with each desperate struggle, i felt every emotion Kratos must have been feeling. And it didn’t feel like I was controlling a character on the screen. It felt like I was doing it. I want to do that for other people. I want them to be able to get out of these games what I get out of them. But I don’t know how to do that for others without sacrificing what I like best in them. Which is why I asked if people even thought it was possible.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Bummed about no Terry. He'll be soon enough though.

Slime Master

Smash Ace

Maybe that's different with modern RPGs but my experience has always been that customization is mostly for combat stuff, the main story isn't really effected.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Who would win:

A big, monstrous turtle with his own castle and army, whom can beat up nearly everyone in his way and grow gargantuan when his life is threatened,

OR,

One smol plumber boy.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Well then what would that make Yoshi considering he was fine without a blanket?

I mean, as I implied with the blanket comment Yoshi's a beast.

He even survives this:

But this also doubles as Mario being even more of a ********** than usual so there we have it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see.

Maybe I’m just a freak. But when I played Bayonetta, especially 2, I really connected with her character and I felt what she was feeling. Having to kill your own father for the fate of the world, and then meeting him before he was evil and witnessing his downfall... I don’t know why but I really felt how she felt.

And then I played the entire god of war saga and I felt all that times 10. A desperate man who made bad descisions, blinded by rage doing everything he can to fix it, stone for it, and make sure it never happened again.... I relate so god damn much to that and with each game, with each desperate struggle, i felt every emotion Kratos must have been feeling. And it didn’t feel like I was controlling a character on the screen. It felt like I was doing it. I want to do that for other people. I want them to be able to get out of these games what I get out of them. But I don’t know how to do that for others without sacrificing what I like best in them. Which is why I asked if people even thought it was possible.
Different folks different strokes. I typically play games nowadays to unwind after college work. As a result, I tend to miss story beats and empathetic moments for some games.

Like for God of War (the not 2018 game), I didn't play it to think about the deep meanings of Kratos revenge and guilt; I played it to punch Zeus in the ****ing face.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Shield is a little dumb, yeah, but at least you're slow as **** while it's active and the meter goes down quickly while you're being attacked.

I can't say that I've seen much salt from Rex and Elma fans over the OG Xenoblade protag being the one in Smash. Hell, I'm a Rex supporter myself but I wouldn't want him to represent the series over Shulk.
Emphasis on the REALLY salty.

But again, they're so small that they don't count.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Different folks different strokes. I typically play games nowadays to unwind after college work. As a result, I tend to miss story beats and empathetic moments for some games.

Like for God of War (the not 2018 game), I didn't play it to think about the deep meanings of Kratos revenge and guilt; I played it to punch Zeus in the ****ing face.
I played it for that reason too. But I still found myself engrossed in the story as I explained. It just.... happened, especially in 3. And I go online and see nothing but people saying how bad Kratos is as a character and how bad the story is, not just in god of war but in hack n slash in general and.... I just don’t understand. That’s not the experience I had with them at all (well, it is my experience with DMC. Except for DmC). I want to at least try to show people how these games affected me and give them a similar experience where you get so engrossed with the narrative that you end up marathoning the whole game in one night, just like I did. But I don’t know how to do it for people who aren’t me without RPG-ifying it.

D

Deleted member

I think there's space for both games as narrative experiences as games as just "games".
I'm not really playing Last of Us for the gameplay, I'm playing it for the story and for the interactions between Ellie, Joel and the other characters. On the other hand I'm not really playing DMC for it's story or the inter-familial conflict between Dante, Vergil and Nero, I'm playing it to kill demons in the most stylish way I possibly can.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think there's space for both games as narrative experiences as games as just "games".
I'm not really playing Last of Us for the gameplay, I'm playing it for the story and for the interactions between Ellie, Joel and the other characters. On the other hand I'm not really playing DMC for it's story or the inter-familial conflict between Dante, Vergil and Nero, I'm playing it to kill demons in the most stylish way I possibly can.
Why can’t a game do both though. Because for me at least, classic god of war and bayonetta do that.

D

Deleted member

Why can’t a game do both though. Because for me at least, classic god of war and bayonetta do that.
Some of them do. Uncharted 2 is an amazing story experience but it's also got a rock-solid gameplay foundation and the gunplay and moment to moment firefights are very fun. It's just that a lot of games tend to focus on one or the other, or one outshines the other to the point where it gets overtaken.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Some of them do. Uncharted 2 is an amazing story experience but it's also got a rock-solid gameplay foundation and the gunplay and moment to moment firefights are very fun. It's just that a lot of games tend to focus on one or the other, or one outshines the other to the point where it gets overtaken.
I see. I see.

I still want to know why I’m the only one who thinks hack n slashed like Bayonetta and God of War have good engrossing and engaging stories.

D

Deleted member

I played it for that reason too. But I still found myself engrossed in the story as I explained. It just.... happened, especially in 3. And I go online and see nothing but people saying how bad Kratos is as a character and how bad the story is, not just in god of war but in hack n slash in general and.... I just don’t understand. That’s not the experience I had with them at all (well, it is my experience with DMC. Except for DmC). I want to at least try to show people how these games affected me and give them a similar experience where you get so engrossed with the narrative that you end up marathoning the whole game in one night, just like I did. But I don’t know how to do it for people who aren’t me without RPG-ifying it.
I found Kratos to be a good classic Greek myth character. As in, he's not a good person by any means but he's entertaining to watch. Otherwise, eh. I don't know what else to see in him in the original trilogy.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Found a cool mash-up between Heavy Lobster and Crush Crawfish.

Damnit, I don’t have an excuse to be needlessly cynical anymore.

But seriously, that’s cool. Hope Rugal gets a spirit so Smash fans can experience true pain too.
These children aren't ready for GENOCIDO CUTTAH! Hell, I can barely beat normal Rugal in CVS2. I beat Shin Akuma, but I haven't taken on O. Rugal yet.

D

Deleted member

I see. I see.

I still want to know why I’m the only one who thinks hack n slashed like Bayonetta and God of War have good engrossing and engaging stories.
That's something for you to figure out. Could be music, voice acting, gameplay, etc.

D

Deleted member

Looks like sakurai got mail

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Sakurai just tweeted this:

See, he likes things way off-model too :yoshi:

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited: