• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
How? It hasn’t ever been localized and released outside of Japan?

Jeese. Sometimes the internet just gotta internet.
Touhou music has an absurd amount of hits on Youtube.
Chances are you've probably heard at least one song from it at some point too, you just wouldn't have known it's from Touhou.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

For what it's worth, every Touhou game is freely available online. ZUN doesn't care about people pirating it because Touhou has always been a passion project for him. In fact, he openly encourages western fans to pirate since it is by far the easiest way for a westerner to get a hold of his games.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to ask, but how would a Reimu moveset even work? From what I know, she's the main protagonist of a bullet hell game, which would appear to offer very little moveset options beyond moving up, down, left, and right. I could see an antagonist working, as they could use various bullet formations, but the protagonist? It would kinda feel like adding the Undertale Heart, but then again I know absolutely nothing about the series.
There’s literally a Touhou fighting game, with some rather pretty sprites if I might add.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Didn't Touhou basically popularize the bullet hell genre in general?

That's pretty big if you ask me.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman

It doesn’t really need to. Touhou is a doujin series, it’s why Zun just allows people to make fan games and sell them freely.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It doesn’t really need to. Touhou is a doujin series, it’s why Zun just allows people to make fan games and sell them freely.
and is also why i love the concept of nintendo licensing out touhou arrangements to doujin composers and circles

having the fanbase all produce the music together is about as true to the franchise's origins as you can get

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Touhou music has an absurd amount of hits on Youtube.
Chances are you've probably heard at least one song from it at some point too, you just wouldn't have known it's from Touhou.
Links?

For what it's worth, every Touhou game is freely available online. ZUN doesn't care about people pirating it because Touhou has always been a passion project for him. In fact, he openly encourages western fans to pirate since it is by far the easiest way for a westerner to get a hold of his games.

I don't know how I feel about that. Like.... sure, it's a way for people outside of the states to play them, but it's one thing for Sakurai to encourage people to play Banjo on Xbox, it's another thing for him to be in Reimu's presentation and say "If you want to see where this character came from and you live in america, please consider committing a federal crime". Like.... I don't know if Nintendo would want to associate with a series like that.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/touhou-kobuto-v-burst-battle-switch/

I swear that I've seen some smaller Touhou games on the eShop, too...unless they were all clones or something.
Huh. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This fan base is WAY too quick to just think characters are in.

A week ago it was Ryu Hayabusa.

Yesterday it was Crash.

Now it’s Reimu.

Chill out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Links?

I don't know how I feel about that. Like.... sure, it's a way for people outside of the states to play them, but it's one thing for Sakurai to encourage people to play Banjo on Xbox, it's another thing for him to be in Reimu's presentation and say "If you want to see where this character came from and you live in america, please consider committing a federal crime". Like.... I don't know if Nintendo would want to associate with a series like that.

Huh. I stand corrected.
https://youtu.be/Kc8GNaED3Ok
https://youtu.be/8jJZA-O_B78
https://youtu.be/9lNZ_Rnr7Jc

These are the songs I know at the very least

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
idk how "wasn't released outside of Japan" holds up as an argument when :ultlucas: exists.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
reminder that western touhou fans are all CRIMINALS who PIRATE their games

never trust a reimu fan who isn't from japan

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
idk how "wasn't released outside of Japan" holds up as an argument when :ultlucas: exists.
That wouldn't have happened if Sakurai knew Mother 3 was Japan exclusive, and he made Takamaru an AT because of it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
From what I heard, Sakurai thought Mother 3 would be released outside of Japan, and when it wasn't, that was why he didn't include Lucas in Smash 4 at first in the base game.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I am going to obnoxiously repeat until the day I die that Sakurai wouldn't have put this kid in if he knew mother 3 wouldn't have been localized

and no I don't know what famitsu article this was but if it's from source gaming it's most likely true

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There’s some major differences between Reimu and Lucas though. I think part of that is also the fact that Mother 3 was originally planned to go worldwide, which played into Lucas’ inclusion, but they cancelled that.

There’s also the fact that Lucas debuted as a base roster addition, and is 1st party.

I don’t think “wasn’t released outside of Japan” necessarily is a killing blow with Reimu. To the mainstream player, or your average Smash player, however, it’s a relatively unknown series I would argue.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i think it's also worth considering touhou within the context of the fighter's pass's mission statement; i.e. reaching out to fanbases not necessarily currently invested in smash and enticing them in for massive profit

as far as global recognition goes, touhou certainly isn't reaching as far out as some of the fighter's pass characters, but it's hard to understate just how absolutely colossal that untapped fanbase would be for nintendo in japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom