• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I'm a Bread type.

My ability is Sweet Scent, especially if I'm wearing Strawberry Jam.

You all bow to us, for we are the Great Legendary Toast pokemon! You wouldn't exist without us staple foods!
Bread type huh ? For some reason, I imagine this type in a bootleg. You know, those good ol'bootleged Pokemon games, where you still wonder why they exist but then remember it's only for making money on the back of Game Freak and Nintendo.

Yeah, good times.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
At least you guys get snow.

It only snowed down south of the UK this Christmas. We haven't had decent snow in the North for many years.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Plant pokemon give bread type mold

Moldy bread is something no one likes either

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
That's why you cherish the time in college/university. Free internet is a boon. :p
I would hate to be stuck in a crappy dorm. my college doesn't have dorms so I like home with ma parents
At least you guys get snow.

It only snowed down south of the UK this Christmas. We haven't had decent snow in the North for many years.
dude it never snows in virginia Beach XD
and then you have to go to class in the snow anyway ;-;
This guy...girl gets it

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Well I gotta go. I need to put the connexion off again to not make my actions suspicious and then sleep because it's 2AM in France right now. I'll leave you with this :
:snake: "It's show time and mostly time to go sleep."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You want us to remove your super-effectiveness against Dragons? To make you even more useless?
At least fire type would make it into toast

Put some eggs, bacon and hashbrowns on it and make a breakfast sandwich

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Living in a dorm has its own ups and downs. For one, I'm now confident that I can survive even in the most horrible living conditions. :p
Id rather live with my parent. my dad is 74 pff
I dunno, I'm not American.

Would you believe me if I told you it snowed in Spain a couple years ago?
Stranger things have happened so yeah Id believe you

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So I just thought about the whole Ice Climbers conundrum again.
Why do they haunt my mind.
Sakuwhy.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
At least fire type would make it into toast

Put some eggs, bacon and hashbrowns on it and make a breakfast sandwich
Well we ARE the Toast type. Did you skip History in Trainers School?

We serve to feed you, not kill you. We exist for your survival.

But we won't hesitate to starve you.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So guys, next year is Fire Emblem's 25th anniversary! Will Nintendo do anything to celebrate it, or is it going to be overshadowed with this damn Year of Starfox? If that happened, I would be very disappointed, as Fire Emblem in recent years has become more loved by fans than Starfox in my opinion.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
So guys, next year is Fire Emblem's 25th anniversary! Will Nintendo do anything to celebrate it, or is it going to be overshadowed with this damn Year of Starfox? If that happened, I would be very disappointed, as Fire Emblem in recent years has become more loved by fans than Starfox in my opinion.
Hopefully, it's an incentive to release FE 1-6 and 12.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Probably going to ***** out Fire Emblem: Awakening and Fire Emblem: Awakening only yet again, so let Star Fox get some attention for once.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I just want a new Fire Emblem game for Wii U, with it either following Lucina in a doomed world where Robin is evil and Chrom is killed (by Captain Falcon, though, of course), a remake of FE 6 (Roy's game), or an entirely new game with new characters.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
As much awesome as it is, FE is highly overshadowed in the west and though popular in Japan it isn't their best selling franchise there either. Seriously, in various Nintendo groups I've been very few people actually seemed to play it. Not to mention what I've seen from the general community.

If they celebrate, it most likely be a small thing like that encyclopedia they released some years ago.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I just want a new Fire Emblem game for Wii U, with it either following Lucina in a doomed world where Robin is evil and Chrom is killed (by Captain Falcon, though, of course), a remake of FE 6 (Roy's game), or an entirely new game with new characters.
Or they do something away from Awakening or at least some sort of continuation with FE8. It's the only game in the series that isn't linked to another game (Awakening DLC not withstanding).

A new setting would be nice to take advantage of the Wii U's capabiility.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
One gets too much attention, the other doesn't.
You sure? Last time I checked the new Star Fox game confirmed generated much more hype in the general community than any FE game announcement made.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
No need to be so rude :p
I thought I said it in as politely a way as I could. Besides, being shallow in the ways of involvement in the competition of a game isn't much of an insult. In fact, I think it's good to be a casual, oftentimes.

However, this scenario is one where people are holding balance as the core of competition, and the height of game design, when it is a paltry facade that the mechanics hide behind. But, it could well be there is a neat and apparent character-specific mechanic which could lend depth to the overall game, I am merely saying that more often lies within global mechanics than character balance.
The mentality that we shouldn't get angry when the characters aren't balanced, as opposed to angry that the base mechanics are flawed in their entirety?
Tell this to Melee and Brawl players who have bad design ruling out about 80% of the cast as viable. There's a reason people are crying for "balance" especially when recent fighting games get patches to balance things like Yun and Yang being broken in Street Fighter IV, but were later fixed in another edition of the game... Or Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 never getting much fixed leaving it like Melee and Brawl. People want things to be fixed, especially in a time when it's possible. It wasn't possible for Melee, potentially possible with Brawl, but it's definitely possible for SSB4 to be patched.

Granted, games shouldn't require patches unless there's severe issues like oh I don't know, ALL OF BETHESDA'S GAMES! Each game by them is broken in so many ways it's not funny and they know their fans will patch it for them. That's sickening and poor work ethic.

As it stands, SSB4 resembles The King of the Fighter XIII where every character is viable so long as you understand them and practice. It's not an ultimate win button if you pick Little Mac and spam dash attacks. At a low level, people will fail, but at a high level, they're going to punish Little Mac so hard that he's not coming back for SSB5 without crutches, a prosthetic jaw, missing organs, and an eyepatch.

There are some issues like Diddy Kong's Uair, Meta Knight's skewed hit boxes, and Sheik's safeness, but that's like K' faring well against everyone. K' and Diddy Kong aren't on Brawl Meta Knight's level of ridiculousness and Palutena and Zelda aren't on Brawl Ganondorf's level of "who's the idiot that thought this was a good idea?"

Rude :(
I think it was my distance and anonymity which lent to you attacking me this time. I hope for a world where nobody attacks anybody, some day.

But I'm here now.
Wanting more from a character for its own sake is a nepotism incorrigible. Well, I exaggerate, but one should never want a character to be better just because they're the favorite. That's selfish.
It may be self righteous, but the mere fact I'm pushing superior global mechanics in a selfless manner (I.E., indiscriminate of the character I play) gives me the moral high ground, if there is one in such a silly debate.

I've written about this before, but suffice to say that designing a game for the casual and the hardcore is not mutually exclusive. Sakurai is wrong in that he thinks it's one or the other, or some attempt to balance the two that need not occur at all. In fact, that's one of the ways that Demon's Souls EXCELS in. Dark Souls, that whole series, is expertly, wonderfully designed to be played at any difficulty without being overt about it.
I hope for the opposite where we slaughter each other like the monsters we are. Tch, heralding our good wills, proclaiming our protection of our dear Mother Earth and her creation. What a bunch of BS. Mother Earth does not need our protection; she is beyond us. We die and she lives until something like a black hole or meteors pelts her to smithereens. But that means nothing since nature is unbound and infinite. Another "Earth" - another planet with life - exists. Death and life are just two parts of a whole.

I never asked for my favorite characters to be better than the rest. I only ask for characters with better design. How that's done, I don't really care. Example being Brawl Ganondorf who was just outright horrible. Everything went against him. Engine, game design, and even his design. A fighter's who's archetype is strong, but slow - a mighty glacier - shouldn't be disgustingly slow and weak. Now, he's much better since design-wise, he was fixed. Moves are somewhat faster, but overall they're incredibly strong and a slow move with super-armor makes sense. The engine also benefits him, but I don't know how. Overall, SSB4 has good game design in comparison to Melee and Brawl. There is no such thing as a perfectly balanced game, but that doesn't mean characters like Brawl Ganondorf should exist or RNG being a predominant factor in a fighting game. A party game? Sure, why the hell not, but tripping which occurs constantly shouldn't exist; tripping from moves that can trip, however, are fine unless it's ridiculous like Diddy Kong's Banana Peels tripping and dealing 10% or Falco's Reflector having a guaranteed trip.

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition introduced Vergil as a playable character who had less moves than his twin, Dante, but the design and the exploit players found and Capcom later adopted made Vergil an amazing character alongside his twin. Jump cancelling allowed Vergil to abuse his Aerial Rave which begins with a hit that's equivalent to Little Mac's frame 1 jab, but spammable with JC and with much more range. Add all the other moves and Vergil's small move set meant little especially since he had his entire move set - excluding upgrades and purchasable moves - to begin with while Dante could only hold 2 Devil Arms (melee) and 2 ranged weapons and had to unlock them; Vergil had access to 3 Devil Arms and 1 ranged weapons all the time. At a high level of play, Vergil was just as insane as his twin, but even then, Vergil and Dante were good without JC and skill. To many, DMC3 is considered the best DMC game in terms of combat and character-gameplay-design.

DMC4 was designed with Nero in mind meaning a lot of the mechanics were biased towards him. It was easy to approach and fight with Nero since his Devil Bringer shot him towards them or pulled them towards him. It was also a quick way to interrupt enemies. Dante, on the other hand, backtracked Nero's levels, and fought "Nero's enemies". The design wasn't right nor was the story, but that's another thing. Dante did gain the ability to access all of his Styles meaning at a high level of gameplay, it was pretty simple to destroy enemies and pull off wicked combos, but that takes skill and for a newbie, it's difficult managing 5 different "stances", 3 Devil Arms, and 3 firearms while previously, they only had to manage 3 weapons, melee, ranged, and grab/finisher, and a more advanced mechanic: Exceed which basically is Leon's gunblade trigger mechanic in Final Fantasy VIII so, rhythm. Now a Special Edition is announced introducing Vergil again. Hopefully, and it's implied that Vergil will have his own campaign, Vergil won't suffer from bad game design like Dante.

Anyway, SSB does not excel in being "balanced"? From the beginning, anyone could play. It's just some people stay as "casuals" and other go "hardcore". Competitions are held for all levels of skill. Pros and amateurs fight each other as well. NAKAT even states he'll play anyone and that it'll be fun. People like him treat games like fun and compete for fun. Winning is just icing on the top. Unfortunately, there are ******** out there who want to win no matter what. NAKAT might go easy on others or he might not, but those glory-addicted idiots will do whatever it takes to win. They'll spam, crush newbies, and ragequit if they so much as lose one match.

Demon's/Dark Souls doesn't have a difficulty because there is only one difficulty. Technically, SSB doesn't since singleplayer's just not that fun which also applies to people who play Demon's/Dark Souls for multiplayer rather than just singleplayer.

All games are open to people. It's just a matter of if the person want to invest time into it. In some cases, it's just a matter of understanding the mechanics and rules like in Pokémon. In other cases, it's practice and learning the game like Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Devil May Cry, and Blazblue. Others force players to remember like Battletoads. The other reason is impatience and how many games are just quick, adrenaline-fueling rushes which makes Demon's/Dark Souls "difficult". Personally, Demon's Souls is boring, annoying, and sometimes cheap. Oh, it's such a good game that's so hard. No, it's freaking not if you freaking take your time instead of rushing in like a ******* that every other recent game has you doing like oh, I don't know, Call of Duty which is also one of the cheapest games since Veteran is just a respawnfest. Demon's Souls is all right, but it's not the greatest game which does not freaking exist since there's always the next, greatest game that will topple over to the next, greatest game.

Unrelated: I just watched someone talking about training their Pikachu Amiibo to use nothing, but Thunder; the Amiibo's name is Thunderp and here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIfYVQnYmc. @ Soul. Soul. , is this one of your relatives that you don't want us to know about? :p

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
You sure? Last time I checked the new Star Fox game confirmed generated much more hype in the general community than any FE game announcement made.
That's because this Star Fox is the first new one in ten years, while FE gets updates every two-three years.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
As it stands, SSB4 resembles The King of the Fighter XIII where every character is viable so long as you understand them and practice. It's not an ultimate win button if you pick Little Mac and spam dash attacks. At a low level, people will fail, but at a high level, they're going to punish Little Mac so hard that he's not coming back for SSB5 without crutches, a prosthetic jaw, missing organs, and an eyepatch.
As a Mac main all I have to say is.....
U bloody Wot m80?
lmao jk :p :)

Maybe I'm the only Mac main who feels this way, but I feel like Mac is (sort of) in the same situation as old Cammy in Super Turbo, where in order for any old cammy main to be decent, people have to learn the game instead of learn the character.
i.e Learn every character and figure out ways to counter/ deal with any problems she may have against X character.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way perhaps..... I dunno :p

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If it's anything like their 20th, they'll release an artbook at least.

Soul.

Unrelated: I just watched someone talking about training their Pikachu Amiibo to use nothing, but Thunder; the Amiibo's name is Thunderp and here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIfYVQnYmc. @ Soul. Soul. , is this one of your relatives that you don't want us to know about? :p
no tl;dr why ._.
Oh that's another Pikachu? Uhhh, I don't know. Thunder spam is boring. But it's a Pikachu so....

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
and CoD gets one every year but we dont talk about that demon that wont die
Well, devils never cry. :p

The 25th anniversary thing reminds me of what happened to Metroid...

Did F-Zero ever have an anniversary? I think Mother/EarthBound had one by fans, but I never heard about a F-Zero one. At this rate, Captain Falcon should just become a SSB character who only existed and was (re)born in SSB.

no tl;dr why ._.
Oh that's another Pikachu? Uhhh, I don't know. Thunder spam is boring. But it's a Pikachu so....
So you and Thunderp are related. :smirk:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom