• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I was just thinking about people who say characters are just a collection of hit and hurtboxes, and people who choose characters they like rather than characters they're good with are "shallow", etc. I saw an old post earlier today saying that and it's been bothering me.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Heh, my level 49 mega steelix curbstomped Steven's level 59 mega metagross. Level difference don't mean jack.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Except with more typos and misspells. :p
Even more so when I get super tired :happysheep:
I was just thinking about people who say characters are just a collection of hit and hurtboxes, and people who choose characters they like rather than characters they're good with are "shallow", etc. I saw an old post earlier today saying that and it's been bothering me.
I get sick of mentality like that sometimes. It seems that hating on a character because its very mobile is a thing now. also cute icon

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Show us.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Heh, my level 49 mega steelix curbstomped Steven's level 59 mega metagross. Level difference don't mean jack.
No kidding... People have done no level/no upgrade runs of Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Demon's/Dark Souls, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and more. Sometimes they do glitch stuff or cheat like using the code to unlock MGR:R's hardest difficulty right off the bat so they can have a clean slate, but other times, it's just pure skill and luck.

Final Fantasy XV is even offering that ability since you can only "level up" if you camp. So, if you don't, then you can just do a level 1 playthrough which seems insane until you figure out how the game works and other exploits like many stealth games having visual cones and as long as you don't step into it, then you're fine.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Nah, Antasma is male. It's alright though, everyone thought Marth was female to begin with. :troll:
Marth has a tiara and Antasma doesn't. I wonder why they thought Marth was a Martha? :p

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

The game itself doesn't lend well to being watched.
I value depth of gameplay mechanics over viability of my favorite characters.

Should I hazard to say that people who derive their enjoyment from character variety, a character being a set of hit and hurtboxes and a few unique mechanics, are more shallow than I, who enjoy the core of the competitive spirit, in playing to win and the most powerful manipulation of the mechanics present? I say so.
This post was in a thread complaining about Diddy Kong's current overabundance. And the worst part is, I can't think of any way that he might be wrong.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Marth has a tiara and Antasma doesn't. I wonder why they thought Marth was a Martha? :p
'cuz he's a bishie, all bishies look feminine.

Still no excuse why the gender jokes have still been around even though they've become repetitive and shallow.

Lucina's existance pumped them out for a bit for obvious reasons tho.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

This post was in a thread complaining about Diddy Kong's current overabundance. And the worst part is, I can't think of any way that he might be wrong.
yeah... I ignore people like that anyway
'cuz he's a bishie, all bishies look feminine.

Still no excuse why the gender jokes have still been around even though they've become repetitive and shallow.
oh god but it was a joke though
Nah, Antasma is male. It's alright though, everyone thought Marth was female to begin with. :troll:
Oh I know why I though he was a irl, he sorta looks like Cackletta to me

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It doesn't? Sweet! Time to bring my 6 cascoons into the elite 4! I'm sure ill come out with a nice dustox!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

This dude sounds like a pompous, pretentious, wannabe *******. I understand people want depth in games, but saying people shouldn't want more of their favorite characters is self-righteous. Yes, we shouldn't have games leaning towards quality over quantity, but that doesn't mean games should just be quality. If it was just quality, then SSB would only have about 10 "perfect" characters. Also, using "big" words makes him sound even more pretentious; he sounds like a wannabe lawyer or someone important, therefore, uses complex words in place of common words. What a ****.

SSB tries to be a game for everyone unlike say, Demon's Souls or Monster Hunter, but it's also competitive and, as of SSB4, fairly balanced meaning people can play characters because they're viable or because they like them. Funny how I just checked a thread about a guy who mained Diddy Kong because he loved Donkey Kong Country, Diddy's origin franchise, and when he won against someone, that person changed their name to "DIDDY-NOOB" in an immature tantrum before leaving. Here's the thread: Anonymous, Yet Clearly a Jerk.

I don't know, maybe it's just that humans love glory; we're all blood knights. We don't care about others except if they benefit us in some way. It takes training, discipline, and humility to become like (ideal) samurai, knights - the good, ideal ones and not the real ones who were mostly titled thugs -, monks, etc. So, we love ******* on people's cheerios.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
yeah... I ignore people like that anyway
No need to be so rude :p
I thought I said it in as politely a way as I could. Besides, being shallow in the ways of involvement in the competition of a game isn't much of an insult. In fact, I think it's good to be a casual, oftentimes.

However, this scenario is one where people are holding balance as the core of competition, and the height of game design, when it is a paltry facade that the mechanics hide behind. But, it could well be there is a neat and apparent character-specific mechanic which could lend depth to the overall game, I am merely saying that more often lies within global mechanics than character balance.
I get sick of mentality like that sometimes.
The mentality that we shouldn't get angry when the characters aren't balanced, as opposed to angry that the base mechanics are flawed in their entirety?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
No need to be so rude :p
I thought I said it in as politely a way as I could. Besides, being shallow in the ways of involvement in the competition of a game isn't much of an insult. In fact, I think it's good to be a casual, oftentimes.

However, this scenario is one where people are holding balance as the core of competition, and the height of game design, when it is a paltry facade that the mechanics hide behind. But, it could well be there is a neat and apparent character-specific mechanic which could lend depth to the overall game, I am merely saying that more often lies within global mechanics than character balance.
The mentality that we shouldn't get angry when the characters aren't balanced, as opposed to angry that the base mechanics are flawed in their entirety?
well no the mentality of having tantrums like that but I guess Live and Let Live

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
This dude sounds like a pompous, pretentious, wannabe *******. I understand people want depth in games, but saying people shouldn't want more of their favorite characters is self-righteous. Yes, we shouldn't have games leaning towards quality over quantity, but that doesn't mean games should just be quality. If it was just quality, then SSB would only have about 10 "perfect" characters. Also, using "big" words makes him sound even more pretentious; he sounds like a wannabe lawyer or someone important, therefore, uses complex words in place of common words. What a ****.

SSB tries to be a game for everyone unlike say, Demon's Souls or Monster Hunter, but it's also competitive and, as of SSB4, fairly balanced meaning people can play characters because they're viable or because they like them.

I don't know, maybe it's just that humans love glory; we're all blood knights. We don't care about others except if they benefit us in some way. It takes training, discipline, and humility to become like (ideal) samurai, knights - the good, ideal ones and not the real ones who were mostly titled thugs -, monks, etc.
Rude :(
I think it was my distance and anonymity which lent to you attacking me this time. I hope for a world where nobody attacks anybody, some day.

But I'm here now.
Wanting more from a character for its own sake is a nepotism incorrigible. Well, I exaggerate, but one should never want a character to be better just because they're the favorite. That's selfish.
It may be self righteous, but the mere fact I'm pushing superior global mechanics in a selfless manner (I.E., indiscriminate of the character I play) gives me the moral high ground, if there is one in such a silly debate.

I've written about this before, but suffice to say that designing a game for the casual and the hardcore is not mutually exclusive. Sakurai is wrong in that he thinks it's one or the other, or some attempt to balance the two that need not occur at all. In fact, that's one of the ways that Demon's Souls EXCELS in. Dark Souls, that whole series, is expertly, wonderfully designed to be played at any difficulty without being overt about it.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Last edited:

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
I think it was my distance and anonymity which lent to you attacking me this time. I hope for a world where nobody attacks anybody, some day.

But I'm here now.
Wanting more from a character for its own sake is a nepotism incorrigible. Well, I exaggerate, but one should never want a character to be better just because they're the favorite. That's selfish.
It may be self righteous, but the mere fact I'm pushing superior global mechanics in a selfless manner (I.E., indiscriminate of the character I play) gives me the moral high ground, if there is one in such a silly debate.

I've written about this before, but suffice to say that designing a game for the casual and the hardcore is not mutually exclusive. Sakurai is wrong in that he thinks it's one or the other, or some attempt to balance the two that need not occur at all. In fact, that's one of the ways that Demon's Souls EXCELS in. Dark Souls, that whole series, is expertly, wonderfully designed to be played at any difficulty without being overt about it.
I see. You just made it sound kind of...
You know.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Sorry @ Luggy Luggy I bailed during our matches, my mom called me for dinner.
You quitted at the right time, since my dad cut out the internet connexion near after we've finished the matches.
I've put it back up since, like :snake: in his games. It's a whole mission to actually wait until the parents are asleep to have the internet back.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Saved. I just found some new potential avatars.

But I'm here now.

Unrelated but you were the first person to quote my post. Congratulations!

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
You quitted at the right time, since my dad cut out the internet connexion near after we've finished the matches.
I've put it back up since, like :snake: in his games. It's a whole mission to actually wait until the parents are asleep to have the internet back.
Don't worry, son. In a couple of years, when you leave your household for your own, you'll be able to pay for your own internet. Along with everything else in your new home!

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
*Hears the little sister coughing, that could possibly make the parents wake up*

It's okay though, nobody waked up.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Let it snow

Let it snow

Can't take the sun anymore

Edit: It's snowing outside

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Let it snow

Let it snow

Can't take the sun anymore
YOU FOOL!

Snow is one thing you don't wish for. Snow days are fun at first until you remember that your running low on milk and have to drive over the unpaved roads!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Don't worry, son. In a couple of years, when you leave your household for your own, you'll be able to pay for your own internet. Along with everything else in your new home!

That's why you cherish the time in college/university. Free internet is a boon. :p

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
YOU FOOL!

Snow is one thing you don't wish for. Snow days are fun at first until you remember that your running low on milk and have to drive over the unpaved roads!
Snow is a great thing to wish for! Who needs a car when picking up groceries? I love walking through snow! You gotta raise your cold resistance!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm a dark/ ghost with wonderguard

so snow don't effect me

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I'm a Bread type.

My ability is Sweet Scent, especially if I'm wearing Strawberry Jam.

You all bow to us, for we are the Great Legendary Toast pokemon! You wouldn't exist without us staple foods!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm a Bread type.

My ability is Sweet Scent, especially if I'm wearing Strawberry Jam.

You all bow to us, for we are the Great Legendary Toast pokemon! You wouldn't exist without us staple foods!
Snow would make bread soggy

and no one likes soggy bread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom