• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0Y

Smash Master
I don't get why the censor Peach now after all of the smash games she have been in? It just looks so weird now that she censor and it not in a creative way like Rosalina is censored just a black hole.
The two she was in previously were rated T. These games were always targeting E10+. That or the pervy Sakurai that came out in the POTD thought of everything.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So I've come to find that for most characters, raising the speed stats to a range starting anywhere between 20 and 40 depending on the character automatically gives them traits of Smooth Lander and Glider and also makes fast-falling...faster, while raising defense stats to those ranges gives them enough weight to make them come down faster and keeps short hops from going too high from the jump increase the speed gives.

In light of this, I've been testing out different custom equipment sets with everyone to see what ranges work best and tried some matches afterwards. Here I am posting hours later from some of the most fun and fast, but still manageable matches I've had in this game. I've never played the Smash mode long enough in a single day to get 150 KOs and it's nice to have 3 Stock matches lasting only anywhere between 1 minute or 3. Maybe 4 if the CPU is being a chicken prick and running away all of the time.

*smacks @ Rysir Rysir Lucario*

It feels nice to have a speedy offensive again. Totally only playing like this from now on til I get a Wii U. <3

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Only a sexist male would declare that ladies are either hot and weak, or ugly and strong. In other words, an either/or fallacy. Do not put words into beautiful and independent feminist's mouths.
I think that for 60% of Smashboards, being feminist or sexist is moot considering the only woman they have ever interacted with is their mother.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Everything in 50's sci fi is atomic energy this atomic energy that

*Inside an alien space ship*

wow this thing must take a lot of atomic energy

Edit: Did you ever stop and think the ship is actually powered by and Artificial quantum singularity reactor????

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm not sure if this was posted already, but it's something that caught my attention: http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/2...-too-many-cut-scenes-in-video-games-nowadays/

Basically Iwata explains that some games have too many cut-scenes and feels people skip over them and wonders that time/energy could be used for something else.

For a game in which the narrative plays an important part, I think it would be interesting to see some games evolve in a way where there's no cut-scenes... because the whole entire game is essentially one interactive cut-scene.

What I mean is, some games it really feels like cut scene > action > 3 min cut scene > action > 5 min cut scene > action > etc., etc., with very little overlap. When the cut scenes happen, they stop the adrenaline rush a player has. The player stops what they're doing and forces them to diverge their attention to something else (unless scenes are skippable, but then important story elements are missed). All interactivity is usually lost during those scenes.

If this is what Iwata's getting at when he says some games have too many cut scenes = bad, then I kinda agree (it's kinda vague, but Iwata does explain that he doesn't mind if scenes are used efficiently. What "efficiently" means to him, though, idk).

What I would like to see though, is more devs being be open to non-traditional storytelling. Some examples of games pulling this off is: Half-Life, Portal and Journey. I'm starting to worry about some future Nintendo games, especially the Mario series after hearing this. Sure, Iwata didn't say he's opposed to non-traditional story telling, but it's just the tone of the article that makes me uneasy. Idk why. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Anyway, I feel like "cut scenes" is the wrong word Iwata used -- storytelling is the core issue here, because how you handle cut scenes links to how you're telling the story. In the end though, I do feel that gameplay, cut scene, game play, cut scene, etc., is starting to be an outdated way to tell a story in such an interactive medium like video games. Not to say devs should stop telling a story in such way -- they should do whatever works for the game (and some people don't mind them). But I would like to see more non-traditional ways (especially from Nintendo). Who knows, maybe we'll see narrative in video games evolve into something else down the road.

Everything in 50's sci fi is atomic energy this atomic energy that

*Inside an alien space ship*

wow this thing must take a lot of atomic energy

Edit: Did you ever stop and think the ship is actually powered by and Artificial quantum singularity reactor????
The best evil robot alien thingy from a 50s sci-fi movie:

Just causally walks on top of everything not giving a **** while draining Earth of its energy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not sure if this was posted already, but it's something that caught my attention: http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/2...-too-many-cut-scenes-in-video-games-nowadays/

Basically Iwata explains that some games have too many cut-scenes and feels people skip over them and wonders that time/energy could be used for something else.

For a game in which the narrative plays an important part, I think it would be interesting to see some games evolve in a way where there's no cut-scenes... because the whole entire game is essentially one interactive cut-scene.

What I mean is, some games it really feels like cut scene > action > 3 min cut scene > action > 5 min cut scene > action > etc., etc., with very little overlap. When the cut scenes happen, they stop the adrenaline rush a player has. The player stops what they're doing and forces them to diverge their attention to something else (unless scenes are skippable, but then important story elements are missed). All interactivity is usually lost during those scenes.

If this is what Iwata's getting at when he says some games have too many cut scenes = bad, then I kinda agree (it's kinda vague, but Iwata does explain that he doesn't mind if scenes are used efficiently. What "efficiently" means to him, though, idk).

What I would like to see though, is more devs being be open to non-traditional storytelling. Some examples of games pulling this off is: Half-Life, Portal and Journey. I'm starting to worry about some future Nintendo games, especially the Mario series after hearing this. Sure, Iwata didn't say he's opposed to non-traditional story telling, but it's just the tone of the article that makes me uneasy. Idk why. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Anyway, I feel like "cut scenes" is the wrong word Iwata used -- storytelling is the core issue here, because how you handle cut scenes links to how you're telling the story. In the end though, I do feel that gameplay, cut scene, game play, cut scene, etc., is starting to be an outdated way to tell a story in such an interactive medium like video games. Not to say devs should stop telling a story in such way -- they should do whatever works for the game (and some people don't mind them). But I would like to see more non-traditional ways (especially from Nintendo). Who knows, maybe we'll see narrative in video games evolve into something else down the road.

Just causally walks on top of everything not giving a **** while draining Earth of its energy.

I think you mean Robot Monster is the best Robot Alien

Robot Monster: The result of wanting to make a sci fi but only having a gorilla costume and a diving helmet

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

I think you mean Robot Monster is the best Robot Alien

Robot Monster: The result of wanting to make a sci fi but only having a gorilla costume and a diving helmet
Is that seriously supposed to be a robot, or a gorilla wearing a diving helmet? Some "Robot Monster".

Either way, Kronos would just squash this thing like a bug. Wait... suck all its energy, then proceed to squash it. ;)

All hail our robot alien overlord!

Wait, something's off here...

That's better! All hail our kawaii robot alien overlord!~

But for some reason it looks harmless now...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is that seriously supposed to be a robot, or a gorilla wearing a diving helmet? Some "Robot Monster".

Either way, Kronos would just squash this thing like a bug. Wait... suck all its energy, then proceed to squash it. ;)

All hail our robot alien overlord!

Wait, something's off here...

That's better! All hail our kawaii robot alien overlord!~

But for some reason it looks harmless now...
Robot Monster destroyed all life on earth except for 8 humans

At the beginning of the movie

How long does Kronos take to deal equal damage to earth?

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Hello lads, how are you all ?

Iwata simply says what he saw with all the other modern games nowadays : a butt load of cinematics, and less gameplay. It feels more that he's worried about Nintendo going in this way, since he say that Myamoto, the most known employe at Nintendo and in the world in general, starts to go in this direction. He says that probably because of Myamoto going more into 3D animations, wich influence him at making games.
He's just worried, nothing else.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
The biggest problem with contemporary Nintendo games aren't the cutscenes (which I actually think there are too few). It is that they don't take full advantage of their game engine. In Skyward Sword for example, the Beetle, Digging Mits, Whip, Gust Bellows, Sailcloth, Slingshot as well as the fencing, bowling and swimming mechanics were heavily underutilized (as badass as it is to swim around in an underwater forest). I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 might have been the only one to come close but then again, it was basically an expansion on what already existed.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm watching "This Island Earth"

I'm actually not that impressed with the performance of the Metaluna Mutant

He gets critically injured within like a couple seconds after his first appearance

Then gets beaten with a blunt object after his second appearance

And kind of just sluggishly hunts them.

Then dies because of the atmospheric pressure

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Robot Monster destroyed all life on earth except for 8 humans

At the beginning of the movie

How long does Kronos take to deal equal damage to earth?
Doesn't matter.

Unlike Robot Monster, Kronos wasn't a dream

But gotta respect the director for making Robot Monster, as he had such a little budget and even had a friend make homemade outfits. And then what he went through when his film flopped and the reaction from critics and viewers. Poor guy. :c I kinda like the abstract concept.

I have admit though, Kronos has some sleek and unusual looks for a 50s sci-fi robot. No fumbling arms or legs. Just some simple cubic shapes and roams on stilt-like legs. The minimalistic design and oddness almost send shivers to me.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
The biggest problem with contemporary Nintendo games aren't the cutscenes (which I actually think there are too few). It is that they don't take full advantage of their game engine. In Skyward Sword for example, the Beetle, Digging Mits, Whip, Gust Bellows, Sailcloth, Slingshot as well as the fencing, bowling and swimming mechanics were heavily underutilized (as badass as it is to swim around in an underwater forest). I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 might have been the only one to come close but then again, it was basically an expansion on what already existed.
That's true. They also tend to make there games too easy now. Take Super Mario 3D Land, it was super easy. And even when you suck at the game, you have two power ups that just either puts you at the end of level or makes you invicible. And with the ton of lives the game gives you, it's pretty easy to finish it.
At least that's for the Mario games.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hello lads, how are you all ?

Iwata simply says what he saw with all the other modern games nowadays : a butt load of cinematics, and less gameplay. It feels more that he's worried about Nintendo going in this way, since he say that Myamoto, the most known employe at Nintendo and in the world in general, starts to go in this direction. He says that probably because of Myamoto going more into 3D animations, wich influence him at making games.
He's just worried, nothing else.
I wish he also gave examples of good story telling. I don't like how he generalizes things. But, I guess that's the point he was getting at.

That's true. They also tend to make there games too easy now. Take Super Mario 3D Land, it was super easy. And even when you suck at the game, you have two power ups that just either puts you at the end of level or makes you invicible. And with the ton of lives the game gives you, it's pretty easy to finish it.
At least that's for the Mario games.
3D Land's easy, huh?

Honestly... my last Mario platformer was the first Galaxy, so I wouldn't personally know the difficulty of later Mario games. At least they should have various difficulty levels.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Speaking of Zelda, remember when SS came out and Aonuma said that "this is how controls will be done in future Zelda games from now on, we cannot go back to button controls"?

Kinda funny since both ALBW and Zelda WiiU are back to button inputs :p

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I just noticed that I have at least four shows on my to watch list for April but none in January...

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Chocolate chip christmas cookies acquired! All is well!

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Accurate. No blu shells, but very accurate.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I wish he also gave examples of good story telling. I don't like how he generalizes things. But, I guess that's the point he was getting at.

3D Land's easy, huh?

Honestly... my last Mario platformer was the first Galaxy, so I wouldn't personally know the difficulty of later Mario games. At least they should have various difficulty levels.
The only part of 3D Land that had any difficulty was the level you unlocked for basically doing eveything.
Thankfully 3D World wasn't mind nummingly easy. The main game had a nice not too hard, not childishly easy feel and the bonus worlds gave enough of a challenge for more experienced gamers.

As long as there is a sifficient amount of gameplay (and decent gameplay for that) between cutscenes than they don't really bother me. When it's 3 minutes of gameplay between cutscenes it sucks. It also sucks when the first hour playing a game contains only 10 minutes of gameplay which most of the time is just a tutorial or a bunch of explanations.
One thing that really annoys me is the emphasis people put on the story over the rest of the game. The game the story is built on should be just as good. It seems now people will praise anything if it has a story, even if the rest of the game isn't anything special. You see games get announced now and all the trailers show are cutscenes. No glimpse of gameplay, yet people go crazy for something because lol cutscenes. It really annoyed me at E3 2013 because basically nearly every announcement I saw just looked like an interactive movie. There was nothing showing people how it actually played, just how pretty the narrative was. I need to see the game, not the narrative to know if it's good.
Really if a game's narrative is amazing, that's great. If all the game is, is a narrative with little or crap gameplay I'm not going to bother seeing the story out. The plot should add to the game, it can't be the entire game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I did feel Skyward Sword had made little use of many of it's mechanics (especially underwater mechanics. Underwater areas in SS had potential but got little use. Heck, even the Ancient Cistern, the apparent water dungeon of the game, had very little underwater combat and exploration involved. The only room in the entire dungeon with any underwater enemies is the very first and primary room, even then majority of them lurk lower parts of the pond where it isn't necessary to go. They can be avoided easily.) but I felt most of the items and their mechanics all got a fair amount of use. I do feel there was a lot of potential for every item that could have been put to use, especially if Skyward Sword had a more of a bigger and open world with more to explore and discover, the items and their mechanics could have had a lot more use for getting through optional areas and finding hidden items. At the very least though, they at least made sure every item had a fair amount of use throughout the game. They didn't just introduce the item and then never have you get to use it again. I've always felt that was a big flaw with many of Twilight Princess's items.

The Spinner and Slingshot are both excellent, yet very different examples of this. The Slingshot was weak and anything it could do, the Hero's Bow could do better. You get the Hero's Bow only at the second dungeon which makes it obsolete very quickly. (Skyward Sword made sure the Slingshot got a lot of use for a long time in the game. (the upgrading items feature helped that factor a bit) The Spinner on the other hand was a totally new and unique item, and it got used at it's finest in the Stallord battle, but after that it's only use is to help you find a very small number of hidden areas and to help progress in a few dungeons. They had a lot of challenging obstacle courses for it in the Arbiter's grounds, but other than the and the Stallord battle, there isn't anything else cool or challenging you can do with it. Soon enough, it's literally just there to help you get over gaps in a few areas. You see tracks, you pull the item out, you get to the other side of the room in a matter of seconds and that's it. Simple as that.

Another excellent example would be the Dominion Rod....heck...I think all of the unique items Twilight Princess had were seriously underused. I'd love to see some of TP's unique items return in future Zelda games and finally be used to their fullest potential.

Accurate. No blu shells, but very accurate.
The "what I expected" part has a bit of accuracy to it as well....just look at the game's roster.

All it needs is a man made out of a metallic mineral and a woman made out of pink colored gold.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Speaking of weird ****....
@ Rysir Rysir plz explain.. Why so Kawaii bruh?

Also for Rysir:
Mute the first video and let the second video play while the first is muted

Clearly that is not me, for I do not spreken ze moon runes nor am I of the lady variety!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom