• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Chinese Kanji tend to be more complicated and short.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but even Japanese can have some nasty kanji...

I can only distinguish Chinese and Japanese because I can make out Japanese words. :p
When it comes to sound, they're pretty distinct actually.

Japanese has some similarities with Spanish, oddly enough. Both languages share a lot of common sounds.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It was funny when I once said IRL that I could distinguish between written Chinese, Japanese and Korean. People thought I was joking or had WTF-like reactions. Then again, having good observation skills helped me in detecting details that often are overlooked by unfamiliar people.

It might be impossible (or very difficult) distinguishing written Chinese and Japanese if there are only kanji, though if there are hiragana and/or katakana around, those are a dead giveaway that it's Japanese. Korean uses an entirely different set of symbols, so it's easy to tell that one apart.

Regarding speech, I can easily tell when someone is speaking Japanese. Chinese also has a unique sonority, so I can also identify that one well.
I grew up exposed to Chinese and Japanese, so it's pretty easy for me to distinguish between the three languages. I grew up speaking Chinese at home, and I lived in Japan so I can tell just by the sound. Chinese has those accents that make a word, and the way you enunciate a word can change the meaning completely. For example, ma can either be mom or horse. If you pronounce it like má then it would mean horse, but if you pronounce the a as flat, then it's mom. The Japanese language doesn't do that. Also, hiragana and katakana are dead giveaways to it being Japanese when written, plus mainland China now uses "Simplified" Chinese, which is different from Kanji which is based on "traditional" Chinese. As for Korean, the written language is distinct and I can tell when it's spoken because it's the only one I wouldn't recognize just by hearing.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I grew up exposed to Chinese and Japanese, so it's pretty easy for me to distinguish between the three languages. I grew up speaking Chinese at home, and I lived in Japan so I can tell just by the sound. Chinese has those accents that make a word, and the way you enunciate a word can change the meaning completely. For example, ma can either be mom or horse. If you pronounce it like má then it would mean horse, but if you pronounce the a as flat, then it's mom. The Japanese language doesn't do that. Also, hiragana and katakana are dead giveaways to it being Japanese when written, plus mainland China now uses "Simplified" Chinese, which is different from Kanji which is based on "traditional" Chinese. As for Korean, the written language is distinct and I can tell when it's spoken because it's the only one I wouldn't recognize just by hearing.
Well, by that text, I think it's pretty obvious you're Asian. Haha. :p

But yeah, I've always noticed some subtleties in the Asian languages (whenever something had multilingual instructions or something). Some keen observation allowed me to tell them apart even before being familiar with them.

The languages I have an easier time telling apart ought to be those of Latin origin as a result of growing and living in southern Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you had trouble telling Spanish, Italian and Portuguese apart. :p

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Well, by that text, I think it's pretty obvious you're Asian. Haha. :p

But yeah, I've always noticed some subtleties in the Asian languages (whenever something had multilingual instructions or something). Some keen observation allowed me to tell them apart even before being familiar with them.

The languages I have an easier time telling apart ought to be those of Latin origin as a result of growing and living in southern Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you had trouble telling Spanish, Italian and Portuguese apart. :p
I'm nearly fluent in Spanish, which makes Italian pretty easy for me. But I've never heard Portuguese spoken or written, so I have no concept of that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm nearly fluent in Spanish, which makes Italian pretty easy for me. But I've never heard Portuguese spoken or written, so I have no concept of that.
Okay, write something in Spanish and I'll translate to Portuguese.

I'm fairly familiar with Spanish, though I'm not really fluent.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Hey folks. Can anybody who sees this post answer me a quick question?

Can you see the BrawlVault banner in my sig at all on your screen? :< (*is assuming you probably can't*)

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Anyone else kinda annoyed by the omega version of Lylat Cruise?
Those edges always mess me up...
I honestly love the stage
I pick characters that can recover there with ease. It's always hilarious seeing someone lose a match because of those edges
I'm terrible lmao

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I have arrived! With my console of choice:

Action Max!!
Warning: Use of Action Max will gurantee that you will want to flee far away from this console.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Ah... top 10 best characters...
Yeah, I wouldn't know.. besides Diddy being among the best.
>MRW Diddy is stated as the best

I guess along with Diddy, Sheik, Rosalina and Luma( me and my friends call it Star Bi***) and ZSS are the ones that stand out to me.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Morning SmashBoards!
How are you guys today?

_gold_

Smash Master
It's been a while since I was Premium so I guess I kinda forgot otl

So there ya go @ _gold_ _gold_
Hmm, I see. Well I believe I followed the instructions, and I did so last night. So I suppose we're just waiting for the mods now to make the effect. @ Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura keep me updated on whether or not they eventually prank you. It's my first time, so I may or may not have missed something.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In other news, I feel super drowsy right now. This coming from someone who often goes to bed late and oversleeps.

_gold_

Smash Master
In case anyone's interested, here's a new trailer for Mario Party 10:
I feel like Mario Party is the Call of Duty of Nintendo. It's like I'm buying the same game over and over, but I inevitably still buy it.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
In case anyone's interested, here's a new trailer for Mario Party 10:
I feel like Mario Party is the Call of Duty of Nintendo. It's like I'm buying the same game over and over, but I inevitably still buy it.
Let's just hope they won't do the same with Paper Mario because the last one kinda gave me a bad feel about it....

Though, they DID ahowed that they care of what we thought about it so....still hoping....

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Oh my god they updated Terraria and no one told me.

So okay, Monday I was suppose to give my Pokemon to xSoul, but I forgot and ****. :v I got drunk though so you probably wouldn't have got them anyways. :4villager:

I'd tag you xSoul, but... yeah. :4lucario:

So I'll have to do it another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom