• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what do you think of Ridley's body shape/proportions now?

Topic

• Absolute perfection; wouldn't have it any other way

Votes: 131 62.1%
  • It's good, though not perfectly what I hoped for

Votes: 52 24.6%
  • I'm neutral

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • Not to my liking, but I'll accept it

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • It's awful; I wish it was completely different

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm a little surprised at how close Super Metroid Ridley is in terms of size when compared to Zero Mission Ridley. I always thought Super Metroid Ridley was the 'smallest' of the "big boss" Ridleys and that most Ridley appearances later on were following the Prime/Zero Mission Ridley in terms of height. Turns out they're mostly identical, huh.

I'd still love to see a comparison of Super Mushroom Ridley and all the other past Ridley appearances, though.
Pretty sure Zero Ridley's size was deliberately made similar to Super due to the latter's good reception. NES Ridley was a pretty lame fight, after all.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Nice! Apparently Super Mushroom-sized SmUsh Ridley is a cross between Super Metroid Ridley and Zero Mission Ridley in terms of size. That's really cool, especially considering we'll actually get a taste of what it's like to be "boss Ridley" when playing in either Giant Smash or when we get a Super Mushroom. :p

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
But Ridley under most of his designs would look weird adopting that pose.

So is the problem his design or is the problem the taunt?
the taunt, him standing is not something we usually see since he is hunched over

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Updated size things with Smash Samus.
1532150612556.png

Also was Mother Brain that huge in the original games?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I believe Mother Brain was that massive in Zero Mission, which is probably what that AT is going for.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Boy, if we ever get a Super remake that updates Mother Brain's size to match her most recent appearances...

Last edited:

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
We need a super remake, SR managed to outdate a game that no other 2d title in the series managed to until then
Boy, if we ever get a Super remake that updates Mother Brain's size to match her most recent appearances...

Quillion

Smash Hero
We need a super remake, SR managed to outdate a game that no other 2d title in the series managed to until then
Hell no, we don't. Metroid I and II both needed remakes because they were primitive on all counts. But with Super continuing to be enjoyed by new and old players alike, there's nothing that a remake can objectively make better.

But that's a topic for another time.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The remake ideas moving onward is not something everyone's gonna agree on, like with Metroid II. If someone fancies a Super Metroid remake, they're entitled to their opinion too, but with the impact Super had on gaming as a whole, I feel a remake would have too high standards to live up to, even if it was good.

Fusion remake would be more practical IMO, especially after how SR ended on the cliffhanger with the X-Parasite infecting a Hornoad, but I understand remakes aren't gonna happen anytime soon and that the next sidescroller entry would be something entirely new, so I guess leave the remake ideas in cold storage for now.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I don't think either Super or Fusion need a remake. They are both fine as they are. Re-releases, that's a different story. It'd be nice to have Super and Fusion (and Zero Mission) on my Switch. But otherwise no they don't need to be remade. They look and play fine. Metroid and Return of Samus were in much more need of being remade. Plus I'd rather them spend time making new Metroid games than revisiting older ones.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alpha and Omega.
1532445588622.png

Wonder if the standing taunt was supposed to be a reference to his NES posture.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't think either Super or Fusion need a remake. They are both fine as they are. Re-releases, that's a different story. It'd be nice to have Super and Fusion (and Zero Mission) on my Switch. But otherwise no they don't need to be remade. They look and play fine. Metroid and Return of Samus were in much more need of being remade. Plus I'd rather them spend time making new Metroid games than revisiting older ones.
This is usually the exact response I see whenever I give my thoughts on the topic now, but I guess Fusion I'm just a bit more passionate for seeing reimagined, being one of my most replayed titles in the series aside from OG Prime. Super Metroid will at least remain timeless with the mechanics and things it has that are still unique to it, but Fusion easily feels the most dated now, despite being perfectly playable.

It is interesting that a Fusion remake was apparently MercurySteam's original idea pitch for a Metroid sidescroller before they were brought in to officially remake Metroid II; I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me curious as to how their take on Fusion would be. I think Fusion particularly would benefit pretty well from MSR's new mechanics (the aeion abilities which they could even have new ones for, etc), and would like to see how they'd give the combat and areas & bosses more depth than the original. Plus being the closest Metroid to a survival horror, I'd love to see things like the SA-X chase scenes remade with better AI, and after what Mercury gave us with Proteus Ridley, I know they'd make Ridley-X a far more memorable encounter than what he was originally... Even the SA-X fight could've been much better designed.

Perhaps most of all though, a Fusion remake could tie in/lead up to the Fusion sequel we've all been waiting for, whether through some Chozo Memories esque way of storytelling or other means.

I guess as it is though, would save another remake for bringing the series back out of another hiatus or something (that's what Samus Returns did which in part made it special), while focusing on just new games until then, tho would take Super/Fusion remake over a Federation Force 2 at any time.

And regardless of what we get next aside from Prime 4, something something Ridley amiibo functionality.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And regardless of what we get next aside from Prime 4, something something Ridley amiibo functionality.
It causes Ridley to pop up for an impromptu boss fight. Even if you just beat him in the game's official encounter. Heck, it can be repeated endlessly, without pause. Every summon comes with a ridiculous explanation for how Ridley survived his previous fight with you.

link2702

Smash Champion
I really wish they would have made him slightly, VERY SLIGHTLY, larger. But I’m just happy he’s in. The “too large” argument was always silly, but i do feel sakurai went a tad overboard in shrinking him down, and yes, I know he’s technically crouching pretty low in game and one of his taunts is showing just how tall he actually is.

Still though, I’ll take playable slightly small Ridley anyday over non-playable Ridley.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It causes Ridley to pop up for an impromptu boss fight. Even if you just beat him in the game's official encounter. Heck, it can be repeated endlessly, without pause. Every summon comes with a ridiculous explanation for how Ridley survived his previous fight with you.
Call it the Ridley Everywhere System or something.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I never understood the whole "He's too big!" debacle when the sizes of characters have never been accurate to their games.

Captain Olimar is canonically the size of a quarter. Pikachu is supposed to be ~13" tall, and Bowser is usually the size of a barn in the Mario games.

I can't help but feel like it's KK Rool, if added, who would actually have the size problem, since his defining feature is how massively fat he is.

The fattest of the fat, fat fatties, if you will...

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I really wish they would have made him slightly, VERY SLIGHTLY, larger. But I’m just happy he’s in. The “too large” argument was always silly, but i do feel sakurai went a tad overboard in shrinking him down, and yes, I know he’s technically crouching pretty low in game and one of his taunts is showing just how tall he actually is.

Still though, I’ll take playable slightly small Ridley anyday over non-playable Ridley.
I never understood the whole "He's too big!" debacle when the sizes of characters have never been accurate to their games.

Captain Olimar is canonically the size of a quarter. Pikachu is supposed to be ~13" tall, and Bowser is usually the size of a barn in the Mario games.

I can't help but feel like it's KK Rool, if added, who would actually have the size problem, since his defining feature is how massively fat he is.

The fattest of the fat, fat fatties, if you will...
Again, the problem isn't that he can't be shrunk down; it's that shrinking him down makes his model look awkward.

King K. Rool can be safely scaled down. Pikachu and Olimar can be safely scaled up. Ridley in his canon designs cannot be scaled down without modifications to make him work.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Again, the problem isn't that he can't be shrunk down; it's that shrinking him down makes his model look awkward.
I think he looks fine, really. Yeah, I'm used to seeing him larger, but he looks much larger when actually attacking and showing off the length of appendages with his range.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
In the Metroid manga, Ridley says that he can regenerate himself by consuming flesh. My new headcanon is that Ridley's body can partially cannibalize itself to survive near-death situations, but he ends up smaller as a result. Every time he seemingly comes back from the dead, he has to eat a bunch of people to reach is full size. Meta Ridley was an attempt to bypass that limitation. The Ridley we see in Smash Bros is from not long after Samus "killed" him.

I'd actually like to see something like this implemented in a Metroid game with Ridley as a recurring boss who gets a little bigger every time you fight him.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
The remake ideas moving onward is not something everyone's gonna agree on, like with Metroid II. If someone fancies a Super Metroid remake, they're entitled to their opinion too, but with the impact Super had on gaming as a whole, I feel a remake would have too high standards to live up to, even if it was good.

Fusion remake would be more practical IMO, especially after how SR ended on the cliffhanger with the X-Parasite infecting a Hornoad, but I understand remakes aren't gonna happen anytime soon and that the next sidescroller entry would be something entirely new, so I guess leave the remake ideas in cold storage for now.
well even right now it has super high standards thanks to what sr brings to the table plus the original’s, most of its problem is being able to properly appeal to nostalgia without ruining what made super so good, lets face it the majority of people who like super often have more nostalgic feelings to it (myself included) as it is in its current state, if a remake wants to work it will have to meet that need while still bringing more to the table for others to enjoy, if it does this it will most likely simply add new areas and increase map size maybe bring back tools like the shine spark tricks maybe expand on it, add power grip, make controls less clunky and so on I also would expect it to have to bring back many sequence breaks as well which brings another problem in and of its self how would nintendo execute the sequence breaks well? will it be an oot3d situation where they add more glitches and only take out detrimental ones (in this case the beam related glitches) or will they go retro’s route and remove sequence breaks not intentionally put in? So I still think it deserves a remake but maybe that wont work for the best

StormC

Smash Hero
well even right now it has super high standards thanks to what sr brings to the table plus the original’s, most of its problem is being able to properly appeal to nostalgia without ruining what made super so good, lets face it the majority of people who like super often have more nostalgic feelings to it (myself included) as it is in its current state, if a remake wants to work it will have to meet that need while still bringing more to the table for others to enjoy, if it does this it will most likely simply add new areas and increase map size maybe bring back tools like the shine spark tricks maybe expand on it, add power grip, make controls less clunky and so on I also would expect it to have to bring back many sequence breaks as well which brings another problem in and of its self how would nintendo execute the sequence breaks well? will it be an oot3d situation where they add more glitches and only take out detrimental ones (in this case the beam related glitches) or will they go retro’s route and remove sequence breaks not intentionally put in? So I still think it deserves a remake but maybe that wont work for the best
I played Super Metroid for the first time in 2012 and thought it was absolutely fantastic. I feel the game doesn't need a remake and is perfect as is.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
I played Super Metroid for the first time in 2012 and thought it was absolutely fantastic. I feel the game doesn't need a remake and is perfect as is.
I mean a little more polish never hurt, think about it, oot and majora got remade and they didnt really need it, many games got remade just because they were classics

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
He looks exactly how I'd expect him to look. Which is good. Proportionally very similar to Bagan/KJP's Classic Ridley with the benefit of having a new model.
The biggest thing for me is that he doesn't use the Other M design, so he looks very good.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I will say that Ridley feels like he'd be among the heavyweights. Of course, he'd probably be around Charizard's weight.
About that...

Posted this in the Samus thread, but figured it would also be relevant here and didn't see it specifically mentioned.

Kurogane Hammer has [Dark]Samus at 108 units, weighing 1 unit more than Ridley's 107.
:upsidedown: wat

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Weight

This also puts him at 9 units lighter than Charizard's 116.

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
About that...

Posted this in the Samus thread, but figured it would also be relevant here and didn't see it specifically mentioned.

Kurogane Hammer has [Dark]Samus at 108 units, weighing 1 unit more than Ridley's 107.
:upsidedown: wat

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Weight

This also puts him at 9 units lighter than Charizard's 116.
I uh... lighter than Samus... huh.

To be honest it kind of fits the impression I've got of him in videos. Guess I'll just have to adjust to this the same way I had to deal with Zero Suit Samus being far stronger than standard Samus and now I guess also Dark Samus. From a lore perspective it is wierd.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Ok so I realized why he looks weird, his wings ae the weong size

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ok so I realized why he looks weird, his wings ae the weong size
Well of course the wings need to be the size they are. They can't be as tiny as they are in the early 2D games because he would look ridiculous at that size. They can't be as massive as they are in the 3D games and SR because it would make his hitboxes wonky. Long-but-not-wide wings are the best compromise here.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
His down taunt shows that not only is Ridley very tall, but he's also wide. I think that Sakurai did a pretty good job with scaling him down/redesigning him without making him feel out of place. I also agree with your original post, the Ridley mod I never liked because they just scaled him down without taking into account of anything else. Ridley was still big in the mods, and it didn't help that his wings were humongous too. It looked ugly, to be honest.

Quillion

Smash Hero
His down taunt shows that not only is Ridley very tall, but he's also wide. I think that Sakurai did a pretty good job with scaling him down/redesigning him without making him feel out of place. I also agree with your original post, the Ridley mod I never liked because they just scaled him down without taking into account of anything else. Ridley was still big in the mods, and it didn't help that his wings were humongous too. It looked ugly, to be honest.
Finally, someone who understands me!

That being said, I'm starting to think Ridley should have been a quadruped on the ground a la SR or Other M. Not low to the ground like in the Prime games.

Top Bottom