• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what do you think of Ridley's body shape/proportions now?

Topic

• Absolute perfection; wouldn't have it any other way

Votes: 131 62.1%
  • It's good, though not perfectly what I hoped for

Votes: 52 24.6%
  • I'm neutral

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • Not to my liking, but I'll accept it

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • It's awful; I wish it was completely different

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have to say, I'm really impressed that they managed to change Ridley's body shape so that he could be scaled down to a reasonable Bowser-sized scale. He's not awkwardly curled up, he's not too humanoid, and his wings and limbs are just the right size. A lot of fans made the mistake of trying to force a canon design to be scaled down (Sorry BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , but even your design didn't cut it for me), and I think even the Smash team had that same problem in the years prior. But once they realized that they could think beyond the canon design, everything fell into place.

So what do you think? Is Ridley the new Brawl Pit in terms of redesign? Or will his body shape be the new Ganondorf's moveset?

StormC

Smash Hero
It's a great design although it feels more representative of Ridley than actually Ridley, if that makes sense. My biggest wish is that his eye level was above Samus, but they do a good job showing that he's crouching very low regardless.

Really can't complain though... if the character just looks different in Smash then he looks different. I'm glad he's so ugly and battle-torn.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It looks amazing, absolutely perfect, Sakurai redeemed himself. Ridley is now, among the best looking character's on the roster. I am a sucker for the new Zelda and OoT is my love, so, Young Link and Ganondorf returning to form are better for me, personally, but objectively, Ridley is the GOAT.

StormC

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, it kinda reminds me of how Sakurai said Smash Roy is basically his own distinct character from FE Roy. In a way, I think that kinda applies to Ridley here. And I mean that in a positive way, lol.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I love the design, I love how they kept him looking so brutal. I think they did an even better job than when they had to redesign Pit.

Between moveset, personality, and design, Ridley was treated so lovingly by Sakurai and his team. Yesterday during one of the livestreams, the host mentioned that Sakurai made sure to design Ridley so that his height in relation to Samus’ was equivalent to their appearances in Metroid on the NES. He also said Sakurai still wanted to pay homage to the modern, gigantic Ridley design and decided to do so with his Final Smash.

For a game franchise we love so much, we really are blessed to have such a passionate director at the helm. During the same live stream, the host said Sakurai felt it would be a shame to not represent Mario Maker in the playable roster, and that’s why he gave Mario his construction outfit as an alt.

Ulk

Smash Cadet
I mean, it's perfect for Smash Bros, yes. It's as large as he could be for Smash and the development team did absolutely nothing wrong. It doesn't feel right in the slightest to me though.

Ridley is a character that just has been much larger in most of his more memorable appearances based on what I have personally experienced. That he appeared as a much larger figure in previous Smash Bros. games too doesn't help things. This small Ridley obviously had to be this small, but it doesn't feel right.
Now I know the same thing could technically be said about bowser. But for Bowser it still feels natural to me. Maybe it's because Bowser's size is in general far more inconsistent than Ridley's? Maybe it's because Bowser has not appeared in a larger size within Smash Bros before he was a playable character? I can't tell you.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The thing is that people have been a bit fixated on a certain design of him, when there's some flexibility in exactly how long his limbs are and such. He should be lanky and boney, but his appearances aren't all the same size or proportions in the games and artwork.

This version seems to resemble his proportions from box/manual/promotional artwork for Super Metroid (more so than his in-game sprite). But I think artwork (particularly for older games) is probably a better basis for creating a design anyway. Also notable that his Super Metroid sprite has him hunched over. That aspect makes sense too while keeping him still large in terms of overall size (if upright/stretched out).

A clearer comparison with other characters like Bowser and Samus would be good, but overall they're in the ballpark (if Bowser is at the upper end of how large a character can be, that's probably where Ridley should be). Seems pretty good to me.

StormC

Smash Hero
I love the design, I love how they kept him looking so brutal. I think they did an even better job than when they had to redesign Pit.

Between moveset, personality, and design, Ridley was treated so lovingly by Sakurai and his team. Yesterday during one of the livestreams, the host mentioned that Sakurai made sure to design Ridley so that his height in relation to Samus’ was equivalent to their appearances in Metroid on the NES. He also said Sakurai still wanted to pay homage to the modern, gigantic Ridley design and decided to do so with his Final Smash.

For a game franchise we love so much, we really are blessed to have such a passionate director at the helm. During the same live stream, the host said Sakurai felt it would be a shame to not represent Mario Maker in the playable roster, and that’s why he gave Mario his construction outfit as an alt.
Would you (or someone else) be able to pull up that video/timecode? I'm really interested in that. Would be the ultimate blow to people saying "Ridley's size in NES Metroid doesn't matter, nobody cares about one 30 year old game."

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Would you (or someone else) be able to pull up that video/timecode? I'm really interested in that. Would be the ultimate blow to people saying "Ridley's size in NES Metroid doesn't matter, nobody cares about one 30 year old game."
I’ll see if I can find it, but truth be told I watched E3 for about 10 hours yesterday because I had the day off and I’m entirely sure which stream I was watching when they mentioned it. I know it wasn’t a treehouse and wasn’t while Sakurai was with them, and they were about to go into Mario Tennis Aces and had just got done talking about Spider-man for PS4.

I will say though that any argument saying Sakurai doesn’t care about a 30 year old game is extremely naive.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I think one of the reasons it's such a great design is that it's future proofed. By incorporating different aspects of different designs, he isn't constrained to a design that's old (I like Super's, but everyone has to move on), or one that will become replaced soon. This design can stand on its own regardless of where the Metroid franchise goes.

This is also why his new look doesn't mess with me at all. Every game Ridley changes, whether it be proportions, head size, wing size, etc. In Super his head is freaking massive relative to his body, while in Prime his head is normal, if not somewhat small relative to his body. Ridley has a design that is much more fluid than most realize.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127

Could you get me a quote and video on that? I'd love to see that quote about Sakurai and Ridley.

Sorry, ignore that. Saw your above message Drclaw411 Drclaw411 .

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
This is how I imagined they'd do it all these years. Many characters are changed for their appearance in Smash. I thought it was obvious that for Ridley to playable, he'd have to be reworked design-wise. I'm glad he's not a Charizard copy-paste or awkward -- he's stockier and beefier, and to work with that he's absolutely ferocious looking. Of course, his crouching idle is perfect too since even with the change, he still needs to be confined a bit. They really did him well.

I also find his taunt in which he stands straight up with no expression is hilarious. That's another reason I love Ridley being playable -- not only do we get to play as Ridley as a stylized composite of his many Metroid appearances, but he is put in many out of character situations that are entertaining, like his taunt or using an item.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The question was never about size to begin with. It was whether he could be scaled down and look natural, or if not, whether his body shape should be changed or not.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
They did a great job. I wouldn't mind him slightly bigger. But they did amazing with him

The "too big" crowd... I have no idea who these people are, or what ****hole country they are from, to have lacked the brain power to imagine the Ridley that we now have in smash

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think he looks fine. The only problem I have (And it's apparently JUST a me problem) is I would rather have his colors a little more saturated. But I'm sure there is an alternate costume that appeals to me

Quillion

Smash Hero
They did a great job. I wouldn't mind him slightly bigger. But they did amazing with him

The "too big" crowd... I have no idea who these people are, or what ****hole country they are from, to have lacked the brain power to imagine the Ridley that we now have in smash
Again, the problem is that none of Ridley's canon designs work as a playable character in Smash. As such only a select few fans tried to come up with a redesign that would suit Smash better, and from what I've seen, only Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt came close to something suitable. Meanwhile, most of both pro-Ridley and anti-Ridley fans could only imagine a canon design being playable, which again, wouldn't work at all.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I dunno, he looks fairly similar to this in terms of the proportions... A little different, but it's not that far off.

1528956190059.png

Quillion

Smash Hero
I dunno, he looks fairly similar to this in terms of the proportions... A little different, but it's not that far off.

View attachment 148278
Oh, I suppose I should have said that none of Ridley's canon in-game designs would work as a playable character.

But yeah, you're right. I always thought that the Super boxart design would be the closest to being suited for being playable. His limbs and wings are just the right size there.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
For me, it is the best Ridley design since Super Metroid/Zero Mission. Soooooo good. The proportions are just fine.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pre-Brawl, I was a Ridley detractor and I thought he was too big to be in Smash and I felt justified in my thinking because he was too big in the Subspace Emissary.

Pre-SSB4, I was neutral and not an active detractor. I still thought he was too big to be in Smash and I still felt justified in my thinking because he was too big on the Pyrosphere stage.

Come Smash Ultimate and Ridley was finally revealed, I was impressed with how Sakurai and his team designed Ridley. He's still big but not too big... and his body proportions look good after he was scaled down a bit. I am glad his fans finally got what they wanted after all these years.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I think he turned out great, his design overall looks amazing! Does great at showing he is a monster with intelligence.

Might be my unpopular opinion (as of yet I haven't seen anyone else say so either, unless I missed it) but I think he looks slightly too humanoid when he does his standing taunt, but that is incredibly minor and just my thought on it, so meh... I'll live.

I am curious if Sakurai took inspiration from an upcoming design he might have in Prime 4 that we haven't been shown yet.
(If Ridley shows up in said game anyways)

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I was so convinced we'd never get a playable Ridley in smash, that I would have been happy if Sakurai made a Ridley into a playable 2D Sprite lol

But if I had to pick one thing I'm not 100% happy about, it's Ridley's textures.
Maybe it's just me, but it looks a little too low-res and sloppy. Like he's a fanmade mod or something. The proportions are perfect, and I like the color designs... I just hope they clean up the texture details before release.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Well what is there to really say? He's Ridley shrunken down to a playable size, ie. the only feasible way to implement him. Nobody who was anti-Ridley(like myself) thought that it was impossible to shrink him. Everyone knew this was possible across the board. The disagreement was whether it should be done, and I still believe it shouldn't have been done from a design standpoint. The only reason this should have happened was because fans wanted him so bad. That is literally the sole reason he should be in as he is in my view. Ridley looks, as I predicted and reiterated many times before his reveal, bastardized.

The new meme isn't that Ridley is too big...it's that he's too small. I personally can't get past the idea that he has been reduced to such a stature, but I'm glad people have their favorite character and are happy about it. To me, he looks very improper. My current "logic" is to trick myself into believing this is Ridley's newly hatched son that hasn't grown up yet, Ridley Jr.

That said, his proportions look acceptable...for that size. Although if you look at his character video, when he does his taunt at 0:04 he looks very disproportionate and weird. When he stands up it seems like his legs are awkwardly long in comparison to his torso, ultimately making him look skinny and not imposing AT ALL. They need to remove that taunt with something else because of how jarring it looks honestly. That was the worst possible pose to make him do, lol. He only looks somewhat proper when he is hunched over, giving the illusion he is larger than he truly is. When he is hunched over he's at his best in Ultimate. Because once he stands up straight, it becomes very evident how tiny this "big" dragon really is.

I would rather him be bigger, like clearly bigger. But it's probably next to impossible to balance him at a size a bit bigger than Bowser(which I would prefer). I will say that Ridley looks great to those who are unfamiliar with the character which is nice.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Might be my unpopular opinion (as of yet I haven't seen anyone else say so either, unless I missed it) but I think he looks slightly too humanoid when he does his standing taunt, but that is incredibly minor and just my thought on it, so meh... I'll live.
That said, his proportions look acceptable...for that size. Although if you look at his character video, when he does his taunt at 0:04 he looks very disproportionate and weird. When he stands up it seems like his legs are awkwardly long in comparison to his torso, ultimately making him look skinny and not imposing AT ALL. They need to remove that taunt with something else because of how jarring it looks honestly. That was the worst possible pose to make him do, lol. He only looks somewhat proper when he is hunched over, giving the illusion he is larger than he truly is. When he is hunched over he's at his best in Ultimate. Because once he stands up straight, it becomes very evident how tiny this "big" dragon really is.
Ridley briefly standing on his hind legs isn't a new concept, though:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Ridley briefly standing on his hind legs isn't a new concept, though:

I wasn't saying it was a new concept. I'm 100% fine with that being a taunt and him standing, I just think he looks (in my opinion) too humanoid during the taunt for my liking. Him standing up is not something that is bad, mind blowing or unheard of in the Metroid universe. In my previous post I am strictly speaking on his design when he stands not that he is standing.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I wasn't saying it was a new concept. I'm 100% fine with that being a taunt and him standing, I just think he looks (in my opinion) too humanoid during the taunt for my liking. Him standing up is not something that is bad, mind blowing or unheard of in the Metroid universe. In my previous post I am strictly speaking on his design when he stands not that he is standing.
Maybe if he gives a mighty screech when he does that, it could come off more as him stretching his limbs.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
In terms of animations, he’s great. His animations are as ferocious and brutal as to be expected of a carnivorous space pterodactyl.

Proportions-wise, he looks unnatural. I don’t fault anybody for it, though, because this is probably the best we could have possibly hoped for. It might trigger some when I say this, but it’s clear that this character was never meant to be playable, or at least never scaled down to such an extent.
I have no idea who these people are, or what ****hole country they are from,
Whoa there, Trump.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
In terms of animations, he’s great. His animations are as ferocious and brutal as to be expected of a carnivorous space pterodactyl.

Proportions-wise, he looks unnatural. I don’t fault anybody for it, though, because this is probably the best we could have possibly hoped for. It might trigger some when I say this, but it’s clear that this character was never meant to be playable, or at least never scaled down to such an extent.

Whoa there, Trump.
I really disagree. I think he looks good proportionally. I love that they found a way to keep his neck the way it is too.

Prologue-9

Smash Rookie
NNID
Grimmdays
I actually think Ridley's size and proportions are near perfect, though I do feel he could be made slightly bigger. Ridley's body has traditionally been more humanoid-looking than you'd think, it's just his stance on the ground tends to be savage, on all fours, or hunched over. As we see in this game - which to helps in the smaller size almost feeling irrelevant, so long as his numerous other character traits are kept in tact. His violent nature, the impression of a cunning, ruthless killing machine - all of that looks to be preserved in his Ultimate depiction.

One thing I really appreciate is how much more we get to see Ridley emote in Ultimate so far, from the sassy hat-twirling in his reveal trailer to some of his wicked victory animations. He's got personality, which is something that's only been deeply explored in the Metroid Manga, and hinted at in the games.

Seeing the big guy stand up straight and use Smash's items is also a treat - getting to see some whimsy in an otherwise bloodthirsty murderer. The juxtaposition is wonderful.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone should have gotten his standing taunt next to Bowser or something. Curious if he's taller

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I recall, DK is similarly curled up in his neutral stance. He'd be just as tall if he stood upright.
DK is actually only a little taller than Bowser if he fully stood up

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'll say that I do think he looks a bit too small in his idle stance. I agree that it would have been much more preferable if his eye level was above Samus. That being said, since his full height upright is much taller, I think that in motion, he looks fine since he's much more stretched out while attacking and moving and whatnot.

I think a big part that makes his model look good in Smash is his wingspan. It's very wide when at its full length and I think it plays a big part in making Ridley feel imposing. Personally, I've always thought that a wide wingspan gives any character design a very imposing presence, and I believe that's definitely the case for Ridley. When his wings are outstretched while he's attacking,, jumping, or even being launched, it gives him a bigger presence than he would have otherwise. I think that's what keeps him from looking too small, especially in comparison to Samus.

I honestly resent the statements like"Ridley just doesn't work in Smash," "He looks dumb/********/whatever," "That's not Ridley." Of course a ideal Ridley is very big, but taking liberties with designs in Smash is nothing new. I really don't think that this bastardizes his character the way people say because ironically, I feel his character is better represented here than in a fair amount of Metroid games. His fighting style is brutal, cunning, and cruel, which I feel is represented well in his attacks and animations. Such as dragging opponents across the floor, aiming a tail strike to stab right where his hurts, and so on. He comes across as bestial and monstrous, and yet not a mindless beast, which is an impression that some people might get from some of his boss fights.

I would even argue that Ridley's character is captured better in Smash than Bowser is. I feel like Smash Bros under-emphasizes Bowser's goofiness and charm in favor of making him more of a stern and ferocious beast. It does work for the most part, but when I compare Bowser's Smash model, which looks like it's scowling by default, to his model in games like 3D World and Odyssey, where his model appears to be smirking by default, I dunno. Being battle-ready and serious isn't necessarily outside the realms of Bowser's character, but I feel like his pompous, boastful attitude as seen in many games isn't fully realized in Smash compared to Ridley's intelligence, cruelty, and brutality, which I feel is captured well for reasons already stated.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would even argue that Ridley's character is captured better in Smash than Bowser is. I feel like Smash Bros under-emphasizes Bowser's goofiness and charm in favor of making him more of a stern and ferocious beast. It does work for the most part, but when I compare Bowser's Smash model, which looks like it's scowling by default, to his model in games like 3D World and Odyssey, where his model appears to be smirking by default, I dunno. Being battle-ready and serious isn't necessarily outside the realms of Bowser's character, but I feel like his pompous, boastful attitude as seen in many games isn't fully realized in Smash compared to Ridley's intelligence, cruelty, and brutality, which I feel is captured well for reasons already stated.
Well, in general, the characters that debuted in Smash 64 and Melee are generally less reflective of their canon selves than those that debuted from Brawl onward. Mario doesn't have his hammer, Samus only has projectile specials, Zelda got her signature weapon for her Final Smash then lost it, Sheik literally shouldn't exist other than her OoT design, DK doesn't have his Coconut Gun nor his Barrel Throw, Ness has no healing moves, Roy is a hotblooded anime warrior, and, of course, Ganondorf has a whole legion of whiners that will everything.

Really, the only two 64/Melee characters that I feel are just as faithful to their canon selves as the Brawl-onward characters are Kirby and Yoshi.

But then again, they need to respect older Smash fans by keeping these oddities. Plus, once you really look at the characters, these "oddities" actually respect the characters in different ways. None of Nintendo's other developers seem to object to the way that Sakurai portrays the earlier characters.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The only thing I have to complain about Bowser is the fact he still roars like a stupid mindless beast. He should have his voice from Mario & Luigi RPGs.

"Showtime!"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will say that Ridley feels like he'd be among the heavyweights. Of course, he'd probably be around Charizard's weight.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Well, in general, the characters that debuted in Smash 64 and Melee are generally less reflective of their canon selves than those that debuted from Brawl onward. Mario doesn't have his hammer, Samus only has projectile specials, Zelda got her signature weapon for her Final Smash then lost it, Sheik literally shouldn't exist other than her OoT design, DK doesn't have his Coconut Gun nor his Barrel Throw, Ness has no healing moves, Roy is a hotblooded anime warrior, and, of course, Ganondorf has a whole legion of whiners that will everything.

Really, the only two 64/Melee characters that I feel are just as faithful to their canon selves as the Brawl-onward characters are Kirby and Yoshi.

But then again, they need to respect older Smash fans by keeping these oddities. Plus, once you really look at the characters, these "oddities" actually respect the characters in different ways. None of Nintendo's other developers seem to object to the way that Sakurai portrays the earlier characters.
I mean... Mario doesn't have a hammer, but a hammer has nothing to do with the fact that Mario is a good-natured and jovial fellow who likes friendly competition which is reflected in Smash through things like his "Woo hoos!" that he gives out despite his somewhat serious game face. Samus may not use as many projectiles as she usually does, but in Smash she is still depicted as the stoic and serious bounty hunter that she's always been. An inaccurate moveset doesn't equate to an inaccurate personality, which what I was discussing in terms of Bowser and Ridley.

I'm admittedly a bit unsure of the point you're making in response to what I said, because I never said anything about Bowser or Ridley using moves that that are unfaithful to their canon, I was referring to how their personalities are reflected in their animations and attacks. Keep in mind that I wasn't even saying that Bowser not having the goofiness that he does in canon was a bad thing. I did say that it works for the most part. I only made that comparison because I see some people out there complaining about how Ridley's design in Smash "Destroys his character" when I feel that his character has been better depicted in Smash than other characters who have somewhat inaccurate depictions that nobody complains about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom