• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
Dark Pit actually does have quite a few things going for him over Pit. I'm sure this: http://smashboards.com/threads/soaring-to-new-heights-advancing-the-pit-pitoo-meta.403018/ is much more informative but basically Pittoo can jab-lock with dairs, ftilts, and jabs, while all Pit can do to jablock is guiding arrow. This, combined with the fact that if you can get your opponent near the ledge, you can kill him earlier with side-b, make Pittoo a more technical character and give a slightly better reward for using him properly.

Also, Dark Pit's Guiding Arrow has the same navigability as Pits, negating that bonus in customs-on tourneys.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Dark Pit actually does have quite a few things going for him over Pit. I'm sure this: http://smashboards.com/threads/soaring-to-new-heights-advancing-the-pit-pitoo-meta.403018/ is much more informative but basically Pittoo can jab-lock with dairs, ftilts, and jabs, while all Pit can do to jablock is guiding arrow. This, combined with the fact that if you can get your opponent near the ledge, you can kill him earlier with side-b, make Pittoo a more technical character and give a slightly better reward for using him properly.

Also, Dark Pit's Guiding Arrow has the same navigability as Pits, negating that bonus in customs-on tourneys.
Actually, Pit's Guiding Bow turns slighty sharper and goes an insignificant distance further, and it's only DP's Ftilt and the Guiding Bows that can start a jab lock.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Against Rosalina, I do know that Dark Pit handles the Luma better than Pit, since Electroshock Arm offers more horizontal knockback, while Upperdash Arm offers mostly vertical knockback.

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Against Rosalina, I do know that Dark Pit handles the Luma better than Pit, since Electroshock Arm offers more horizontal knockback, while Upperdash Arm offers mostly vertical knockback.
Yup, I agree that Dark Pit quite convincingly trumps Pit in the Rosalina MU. Also, to follow up on what I mentioned above:
Consider if you are a Pit main facing an MU that often KOs off the ceiling; Dark Pit might be worth considering as a counterpick so you can pick a stage with a high ceiling and don't have to worry about nerfing your side-b kill potential. Just know that your arrows are a different style of projectile, and the side-b kills off the sides, and you've got almost all the differences accounted for.
I actually did this strategy in a tourney not too long ago. Was two-stocked by a RosaLuma first match as Dark Pit on Battlefield, counter-picked to Duck Hunt for Game 2, and actually had an incredibly closer match. Both stocks I lived to way higher percents from the significantly higher ceiling, as well as the Rosalina staling usmash and uair trying to kill me, whereas I KO'd her at a very reasonable percent with offstage fair.

...I still lost, of course, haha. Counterpicking can't fix skill gap, but at least I can say I wasn't two-stocked twice!

Toxiphobe

Smash Cadet
To put it short, Pit focuses on knockback and Shadow the pithog focuses more on damage.
It's fitting too, seeing as to how more softer pit is and Mr.gloomybutbadass is more offensive and aggressive.
They are both evenly matched imo.

Last edited:

iMoLaTe

Smash Cadet
dark pit vs pit? what are the differences.. who is better? if there is a thread for this please link.. im sure this question gets asked alot

Final-Fortress

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8477-3634
They're practically the same. There are some subtle differences, but the only thing that I find worthy of note is the Final Smash. The Electroshock arm is the same as the Upperdash arm, I think? You may want to ask someone else for clarification though.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Pit arrows are very easy to control, but do less damage at max charge. Upperdash arm launches vertically, and Electroshock launches diagonally. Pit's forward tilt has a tipper hitbox that Dark Pit's doesn't have. Which is better? It's down to preference. The two are basically identical. I prefer Pit personally because I'm really good at aiming arrows.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Actually, both of you are slightly off.

Even at no charge, Dark Pit's arrows are a 1% stronger. Upperdash does 11% and launches almost straight up, Electroshock does 11.5% and launches at a more traditional angle and is lethal offstage because of it. Dark Pit's Ftilt only has weaker knockback and has the same damage and tipper hitbox Pit has, and unlike Pit's it can be used for jablock combos.

There's also a few more differences in customs. Striking Flight is more powerful on Dark Pit, but the move is still junk. Dark Pit's Piercing Bow is more powerful with no real trade-off, and his Guiding Bow ans faster and more powerful but can't turn as sharply. Both of Dark Pit's Nspecials can be charged longer too.

It's not like Mario vs. Doc where one is almost always better, it's heavily matchup dependent. So why limit yourself to one when you can use both?

Last edited:

Final-Fortress

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8477-3634
Actually, both of you are slightly off.

Even at no charge, Dark Pit's arrows are a 1% stronger. Upperdash does 11% and launches almost straight up, Electroshock does 11.5% and launches at a more traditional angle and is lethal offstage because of it. Dark Pit's Ftilt only has weaker knockback and has the same damage and tipper hitbox Pit has, and unlike Pit's it can be used for jablock combos.

There's also a few more differences in customs. Striking Flight is more powerful on Dark Pit, but the mov

Oh, Okay. Sorry, I don't play as Dark Pit all that often. Thanks for clarifying though ^.^

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
They're practically the same character with minor inconsistent differences. If you can play one, you can play them both.

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
Dark Pit's side b is better for killing IF you have your opponent at ledge. Dark Pit's kills at ledge at around 110 while Pit's can kill any where at around 135 (both of these depend on di, rage, blast zones, position, weight of opponent, etc) but what I think is that Dark Pit's side b can be used to kill better because of it being able to know opponents off stage for an easy setup and how when your opponent is coming back on stage you can read their landing and get an easy side b kill. To the Pit mains, side b setups with Dark Pit aren't as hard to get as you may think. They're actually quite easy to get. That's why I feel its better for killing. While Pit'sis great too! Even though Pit's kills +20 percent later or even more depending or di, rage, weight, etc, it can kill anywhere on stage. Dark Pit's side b can kill extremely early off stage if your opponent is falling above the stage trying to recover and you read where they're going, you can catch them with side b and kill REALLY early (you need to keep one jump before side b'ing in order to be completely safe while preforming this). Dark Pit's side b kills earlier than pits if you get them near the ledge or have their back facing the ledge and etc. Dark Pit's also can get them off stage if it doesn't kill and get them at one of the worst positions when fighting Dark/Pit which is the ledge where you can receive many kill opportunities. It's not hard to get the ledge kills and it kills much earlier which is why I feel Dark Pit's side b is better. But, Pit's is near just as good. It all comes down to preference in the end and the characters should be in the same exact place in tiers. Here's how I see it, Pit has the better neutral b, Dark Pit has the better side b, and pit has that f tilt but the thing is you should never use that to kill since its not reliable and being easily punished, I would go for d smash instead. Pit is better in some MU's while Dark Pit is better than others. Their differences balance each other out and thats why it comes down to preference. No matter what Pit you are, you're still an awesome character :4darkpit:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Overall they have the same playstyle, with a few minor differences which only affects certain situations.

Their arrows have the same charge time, but Dark Pit's builds up percent slightly faster (dealing 2% more damage at full charge), while Pit's has more flexibility. One of them has more range, but I can't remember who. Also, Dark Pit's arrow kills earlier than Pit's (With a fully charged arrow, I killed Jigglypuff at 193% with Dark Pit and 232% with Pit). This means Dark Pit's arrows are better at gimping or even killing when the opponent is far enough off stage. Of course, the opponents have to be in front of Dark Pit due to lack of flexibility.

The biggest difference between the two in my opinion is their side special. Upperdash Arm sends foes upwards which can lead to juggling while Electroshock Arm sends opponents at a diagonal angle that can lead to edge guarding (kinda). Electroshock kills earlier at the edge while Upperdash kills earlier at the center when comparing the two. Electroshock is more useful against Luma and Little Mac, since Luma gets sent offstage and Little Mac gets put in a bad position. Also, Upperdash is a better tool on stages with a small ceiling. Not sure if this part is true, but I believe Electroshock has more hitlag because of the electricity effect which makes it slightly more punishable in teams or when you hit Luma.

F-tilt does the same amount of damage, but Pit's has more knockback. What this means is that Pit's f-tilt is a more viable kill option, but Dark Pit's is the one that can jab lock.

That's really all I can think of. Please correct me if I messed something up.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I love Dark Pit's fall speed. I hate Pit's.

But besides the fall speeds, the difference between the FTilts and the arms are what makes the difference in who I prefer rather than the arrows.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Um... They're the same.
They're not. Check my recent post in the game mechanics thread.

It's easy to pass their attributes off as "the same" (especially when you spend a lot of time on the boards telling people that some attributes that are the same are, indeed, the same) because they have so many things in common but there are minute differences in their styles. SideB, FTilt, arrows, and fall speed are included in but possibly not limited to the differences between the two.

Their difference in small speed leads me to an interesting revelation: that Dark Pit is actually more defensive than regular Pit, with a fall speed that gets him to the ground faster, a FTilt that jab locks better and can't be used for kills, a SideB that doesn't kill as well, and arrows that sadly aren't as diverse as regular Pit's. Plus Pit can kill a lot better.

This, of course, supports the idea that Dark Pit is a worse character much like how Lucas is worse than Ness when he has defensive variations of the things that they do do similarly.

Last edited:

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
Overall they have the same playstyle, with a few minor differences which only affects certain situations.

Their arrows have the same charge time, but Dark Pit's builds up percent slightly faster (dealing 2% more damage at full charge), while Pit's has more flexibility. One of them has more range, but I can't remember who. Also, Dark Pit's arrow kills earlier than Pit's (With a fully charged arrow, I killed Jigglypuff at 193% with Dark Pit and 232% with Pit). This means Dark Pit's arrows are better at gimping or even killing when the opponent is far enough off stage. Of course, the opponents have to be in front of Dark Pit due to lack of flexibility.

The biggest difference between the two in my opinion is their side special. Upperdash Arm sends foes upwards which can lead to juggling while Electroshock Arm sends opponents at a diagonal angle that can lead to edge guarding (kinda). Electroshock kills earlier at the edge while Upperdash kills earlier at the center when comparing the two. Electroshock is more useful against Luma and Little Mac, since Luma gets sent offstage and Little Mac gets put in a bad position. Also, Upperdash is a better tool on stages with a small ceiling. Not sure if this part is true, but I believe Electroshock has more hitlag because of the electricity effect which makes it slightly more punishable in teams or when you hit Luma.

F-tilt does the same amount of damage, but Pit's has more knockback. What this means is that Pit's f-tilt is a more viable kill option, but Dark Pit's is the one that can jab lock.

That's really all I can think of. Please correct me if I messed something up.
You weren't wrong at all, that's 100% correct

They're not. Check my recent post in the game mechanics thread.

It's easy to pass their attributes off as "the same" (especially when you spend a lot of time on the boards telling people that some attributes that are the same are, indeed, the same) because they have so many things in common but there are minute differences in their styles. SideB, FTilt, arrows, and fall speed are included in but possibly not limited to the differences between the two.

Their difference in small speed leads me to an interesting revelation: that Dark Pit is actually more defensive than regular Pit, with a fall speed that gets him to the ground faster, a FTilt that jab locks better and can't be used for kills, a SideB that doesn't kill as well, and arrows that sadly aren't as diverse as regular Pit's. Plus Pit can kill a lot better.

This, of course, supports the idea that Dark Pit is a worse character much like how Lucas is worse than Ness when he has defensive variations of the things that they do do similarly.
Are you 100% sure on the fall speeds? That's interesting. Can you link me to the thread?

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Dark pit has some % advantage in the neutral if he uses arows for spacing more often, and with electro arm sometimes comboing into itself you get a little extra damage there.

Dp is mostly for select match ups against characters with restricted recoveries. Dp's electro arm gimps characters like mac, Ike, Bowser, etc. who would otherwise be able to get back to the stage if hit by upper dash arm. In general some matchups prefer keeping the opponent offstage which electro arm is better at.

It's also worth mentioning that they get slightly different customs as well. Dp's guiding arows have a different degree of control compared to pits standard or guiding arows.

Make what you will of dark pit but I found his arows easier to start out with and learn before getting to learn pits or changing to Dp's custom guiding arows.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Here is my opinion for both the characters.

First of all, I think that Pit is the better one of them. Main reason for that are his arrows which can be curved easily and are better for defensive-manners, mindgames and of course the denial-play. In a competitive match the player will not have the time to charge up your arrows because they're predictable and easy to block. You can still catch other players by surprise if they're out of the stage and seeing a arrow coming full speed ahead. Pit's meta is build around the arrows so it's wise to use them often.

Dark Pit on the other hand is more a melee-based character and true his canon-origins from Kid Icarus Uprising: A flawed mirror-version of Pit. So, yeah, he is supposed to be flawed in comparison to Pit. I honestly don't know how his arrows can come in handy because I don't play him that often - but what I can see, is, that they can be great setups for surprising close-range attacks after they hit their target and if the player don't use them often. Electroshock is for sure the better arm of both characters and can really be effective if you use it near the edge.

Otherwise it comes down how the player wants to play both angels. I personally prefer more the edge-guarding and denial of recoverys to the edge with Pits arrows as a legit and annoying playstyle instead of the usefulness of Electroshock. All in all you could say that Pit is far more flexible but Dark Pit more rewarding for his high risk-tactics and the missing curve-options of his silver bow.

Last edited:

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
Ftilt - Pit wins. No preference or MU can change that.

Preference or MU dependent ~ advantages are still applied even though it's preferable

Arrows - Pit wins (Dark Pit's can be good onstage due to damage and the recent buff but pit are able to be aimed much better. He can have the advantage on stage but Pit's are amazing on and off)

Side B - Dark Pit wins (Although situational, Dark Pit can kill +15 percent earlier as long as you're hitting while facing away from the middle at the stage 'the ledge'.)

Besides Ftilt, both choices are MU dependent. No one is better than the other. Preference and MU's! No one is better

Project_B

Smash Cadet
The differences between the arrows, arms, and fTilts are pretty trivial. The biggest difference that is between the two characters at a top level of play would be the matchups against Sheik and Rosalina. Pit having better kill options with fTilt and side B as well as arrow pressure in any position gives him an advantage over Dark Pit when facing Sheik. (Side B kills off the top could really apply to any lightweight character though) Dark Pit's electroshock is great for sending Luma offstage and it gives him a much better matchup against Rosalina. Other than that, the characters are so similar that they are interchangeable, according to Nairo and ZeRo.

I would suggest picking Pit to fight Sheik and Dark Pit to fight Rosalina, but other than that, one is not noticeable better than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom