• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, uh... Impa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So, what do you think Impa's chances are now that Sheik is confirmed? I think it's pretty low, due to Sheik getting this new importance.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Impa's chances are the same they've ever been: Absolutely not going to happen.

There is no "new importance" for Sheik; there is only people focusing too extensively on Impa's "importance" in Skyward Sword and underestimating both Sheik's and OOT's gargantuan popularity.

This might not be the optimum section for this thread, btw. But yeah, I really don't think Impa ever had a chance to begin with, let alone now.

Last edited:

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
The only chance Impa ever had in the first place was if Sheik was cut. Seeing as how Sheik is back, Impa is an absolute 0. Assist Trophy, maybe. But playable, no.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She can still be a semi-clone I guess... Now that Sheik is her own character it makes far more sense. After all, Toon Link is back so semi-clones aren't completely out yet. I still feel Impa is the most likely newcomer for Zelda, but now that Sheik is separate... And Ganondorf probably will be reworked, am not so sure anymore.

We had a great chance, with Zelda and the Phantom and all. Glad I was right about that, cause Zelda needed this buff but damn... Separate Sheik just feels so uninspired.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Impa never had any chance to be in. With three appearances in a row, I think Sheik has definitely become a Smash Bros. staple.

I don't think any other Zelda character is getting in the game (besides Ganondorf, obviously).

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Sheik ruined Ghirahim's chances, I hate Sheik, and I will just say Impa would of been a better choice instead of Sheik.

TeamFlareZakk

Yes because ghirahim had a chance before sheik
I will just say this so its clear I'm not a Sheik hater, I liked Sheik in Melee, Brawl, OoT, but I felt that Ghirahim was a better choice, I would of loved seeing two bad guys on the roster with Ghirahim and Ganondorf.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
The thing is, Sheik does nothing on Ghirahim's chances.

Unless your newcomer would be like the veteran (ex: Impa=Sheik), there's no reason to think that the return of that veteran affects the chances of that characters.
Sheik=/=Ghirahim, it's like saying Toon Link took Ganondorf's spot.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I will just say this so its clear I'm not a Sheik hater, I liked Sheik in Melee, Brawl, OoT, but I felt that Ghirahim was a better choice, I would of loved seeing two bad guys on the roster with Ghirahim and Ganondorf.
But he doesn't have a chnace and he never did, he has the same chance that zant, midna, vaati and all these other one time characters had in brawl

TeamFlareZakk

The thing is, Sheik does nothing on Ghirahim's chances.

Unless your newcomer would be like the veteran (ex: Impa=Sheik), there's no reason to think that the return of that veteran affects the chances of that characters.
Sheik=/=Ghirahim, it's like saying Toon Link took Ganondorf's spot.
Are you implying that Ganondorf will be replaced?

I can't see that happening, especially for Ghirahim, they could include Demise, but I only can see that as a costume for Ganondorf, but then again I think we'd see like another appearance of Ganondorf as a costume before Demise such as the TP Ganondorf being default and maybe OoT Ganondorf, Phantom Ganon or Toon Ganon being a costume.

Its as @ Sonicguy726 Sonicguy726 just said it seems Ghirahim just ever had a chance.

TeamFlareZakk

I think the question is are we going to just see the same Zelda characters as Brawl except Sheik is her own character, or will there be a Ganondorf replacement as the villain rep?

I for one would rather see Ganondorf return, I don't think anybody else can fill that void, Demise maybe, but it seems pointless to replace the more iconic Ganondorf for Demise, although Demise would be cool to see and Demise could have a Ganondorf costume to keep Ganondorf around, I just don't see the point of doing that.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Impa never had a chance, she appears in various games but more important and reconocible than Sheik who everybody know is Zelda? I think not, the same with Ghirahim, Demise, etc they will never replace the main villian Ganondorf but if Zelda gets more slots who know I prefer to see another villian than Impa, sometimes people propose good an popular characters but if they are overshadowed by other characters in their franchise then it's not even a surprise they didn't make the cut, Tingle has a better chance than any of them (sadly)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa will most likely be playable in Hyrule Warriors though.

She still could make a chance being playable like this. In my opinion, it would be awesome to have this Teacher vs Student rivaly in Smash. As we all know it was Impa who has thought Zelda the ways of the Sheikah. Without Impa, there never would've been no Sheik. Even if Sheik was ever to appear in another Zelda game (which I doubt) Impa will most likely be there to to serve as mentor / teacher. This is why I don't think it's a bad idea for them to appear in Smash togheter. And seeing Namco's fighting games, they are LOVING **** like rivalries and mentor vs student roles! Soul Calibur and Tekken are full of these sorts of things in their rosters.

Rosalina has also proofed that even though Sheik and Impa may look similar, they won't have to be like each other in terms of moveset at all! Everyone and their dog has always disrecarded Rosalina as 'Peach clone fodder' but look what we got instead? In my opinion, she is thusfar the most unique character in Smash.

Impa could be unique from Sheik because of this, or be a semi-clone (better leave those damn Burst Grenades at home though). In either way, there's still a lot of potential in her. Separate Sheik shouldn't matter TOO much cause she still doesn't count as a newcomer. Phantom as Zelda's Down B has elliminated Toon Zelda to from all her chances. So really, if there's room for one more newcomer from The Legend of Zelda, I really think it's between Impa and Tetra. And am seeing chances as more positive for Impa than Tetra honestly.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Impa will most likely be playable in Hyrule Warriors though.

She still could make a chance being playable like this. In my opinion, it would be awesome to have this Teacher vs Student rivaly in Smash. As we all know it was Impa who has thought Zelda the ways of the Sheikah. Without Impa, there never would've been no Sheik. Even if Sheik was ever to appear in another Zelda game (which I doubt) Impa will most likely be there to to serve as mentor / teacher. This is why I don't think it's a bad idea for them to appear in Smash togheter. And seeing Namco's fighting games, they are LOVING **** like rivalries and mentor vs student roles! Soul Calibur and Tekken are full of these sorts of things in their rosters.

Rosalina has also proofed that even though Sheik and Impa may look similar, they won't have to be like each other in terms of moveset at all! Everyone and their dog has always disrecarded Rosalina as 'Peach clone fodder' but look what we got instead? In my opinion, she is thusfar the most unique character in Smash.

Impa could be unique from Sheik because of this, or be a semi-clone (better leave those damn Burst Grenades at home though). In either way, there's still a lot of potential in her. Separate Sheik shouldn't matter TOO much cause she still doesn't count as a newcomer. Phantom as Zelda's Down B has elliminated Toon Zelda to from all her chances. So really, if there's room for one more newcomer from The Legend of Zelda, I really think it's between Impa and Tetra. And am seeing chances as more positive for Impa than Tetra honestly.
Anyone who thought that rosalina would be a peach clone is ********, I'm sorry but yeah, With impa as a character she is still very much like sheik and there isn't much they could do to make her feel really unique and with the recent inclusion of greninja that's another more unique ninja in smash anyway

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Greninja did indeed make things far more difficult yes...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If Impa was to appear as a character, she would need a unique gameplay style that stood out from the rest, not be a replacement for Sheik while inheriting her moveset. I always disliked this idea. It would be like if Ike was replaced by Chrom, with Chrom being given Ike's moveset.

Now, Impa still has a chance, albeit a very small one. If she does make in as a playable character, she's definitely going to have her own flavor. All the newcomers so far have very unique movesets. However, with two ninja styled characters with Sheik and Greninja, I don't think she will be more than an Assist Trophy.

Anyway, for those who say Zelda and Sheik (as well as Samus and Zero Suit Samus) don't make sense as separate characters, mind that we had Dr. Mario and Mario, as well as Young Link and Link in Melee. Other games do this as well, with several Mario Kart titles having both Mario and Baby Mario, or Street Fighter having Ryu and Evil Ryu. Same character, just different versions/identities of them with their own slots (and gameplay style, if applicable).

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Honestly, at this point I think Impa's best option would be if alternate costumes are widespread, in which case she could easily and fittingly function as Sheik's alternate. However, we have yet to see if alternate costumes can be altogether different people, but with He Fit Trainer existing, I don't think it's all that unlikely.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Alternate Costume? I'll say a 1% chance of happening. Impa is never going to be in a Smash game. Her character just isn't in the same league.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Half the time she's not even a ninja and just a little old lady. She won't get popular with that treatment ;p.
Well skyward sword is her best appearance by far and she is a ninja in the most popular zelda game, ocarina of time

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We talking about Impa though.

Anyone would have a problem with Impa being a semi-clone of Sheik, and willing to give her a chance based on that?

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
We talking about Impa though.

Anyone would have a problem with Impa being a semi-clone of Sheik, and willing to give her a chance based on that?
Considering I love Toon Link (who is a semi-clone), I don't think I would have a problem with Impa being in as a Sheik semi-clone. As long as Ganondorf gets an unique moveset Sakurai can do whatever the hell pleases him with the Zelda series.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, I wouldn't mind her being an alternate costume. Not too sure if she'll have a chance in this game, what with solo Sheik potentially serving the same exact role. But I guess there's next time.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So people still think that Impa is likely and that Ganon might be replaced?
Someone needs a reality check.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
The thing is that we didn't even need to see TP Link to know that Zelda, Sheik and Ganon would return xD
Well people though that they would use the SS design, so they would replace ganondorf with demise or ghirahim for some reason and sheik would be changed to impa but obviously no SS designs (thank god)

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well people though that they would use the SS design, so they would replace ganondorf with demise or ghirahim for some reason and sheik would be changed to impa but obviously no SS designs (thank god)
People can be silly.

A minor thing like a design change is not even remotely a good reason to see them replaced. Ganon and Sheik are two times veterans already, so suggesting that two of the three members of the triforce trio (holders of the series' titular macguffin) are going to be replaced is just plain unrealistic. Besides, I don't get why people seem to find unthinkable the fact that those characters could coexist in the same game (not that I'm expecting Demise or Ghirahim anyways).

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Anyway, for those who say Zelda and Sheik (as well as Samus and Zero Suit Samus) don't make sense as separate characters, mind that we had Dr. Mario and Mario, as well as Young Link and Link in Melee. Other games do this as well, with several Mario Kart titles having both Mario and Baby Mario, or Street Fighter having Ryu and Evil Ryu. Same character, just different versions/identities of them with their own slots (and gameplay style, if applicable).

Sure, but these characters we're separating are completely different in terms of play style and movesets. Ryu and Evil Ryu/Link and Young Link may have different properties, but they're clone characters.

Zelda/Sheik are different entirely, and so are Zamus and Samus.

Zelda/Sheik just make more sense together IMO. It's an awesome representation of one of the biggest plot twists in gaming, no to mention the "you unlocked the door" chime from Zelda games, and makes reference to the gargatuan popularity of OoT. Zelda being able to access her other quicker, agile self to adapt just makes more sense IMO than giving her a Phantom to throw out.

Regardless, what's done is done. Unless (and I doubt it) the customer moveset feature will allow Zelda players to switch out the Phantom for Sheik. But with how much he stressed characters will no longer transform, I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom