• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So the melee mario thread is disappearing

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
i hate to say it but the melee mario boards are pretty much gone. It might been gone but it will never be forgotten. I wish this werent true but i will alway dedicate myself to mario. MARIO FTW forever :chuckle:

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Join the group of Mario mains! Melee, 64, or Brawl. High (64), Mid (SSBM), or Low Tier (Brawl)... he's **** through and through, and regardless of what character you decide to play, Mario's legit, main or secondary. :D

I have Mario vids to post to keep this board alive. You might not find it looking around the board so here: http://www.youtube.com/user/luigiluigix2#p/u/0/lHGn-d-rTfY

(BTW) I have more recent vids but I'm lazy to post now so here's my most recent :p)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
LOL kirby boards are doing better as of now and it's always been the lowest point, that and roy boards.

post videos, get advice, look for new combos/tricks, and try to more forward. That or mindlessly spam the living S*** out of this till it's a bad joke and no one ever touchs it again.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
LOL kirby boards are doing better as of now and it's always been the lowest point, that and roy boards.

post videos, get advice, look for new combos/tricks, and try to more forward. That or mindlessly spam the living S*** out of this till it's a bad joke and no one ever touchs it again.
I'm sure I speak for all Mario mains when I say that the latter doesn't sound good. D:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I hope to get up some more vids...but I suck at budgeting my time.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Dang, I'll get a recording set-up. I just need to know what I need to get exactly. Can someone tell me all the equipment I need or supplies? If it's possible, can you suggest me the one with good quality? Like as good as TheWaffle77's? =D

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Dang, I'll get a recording set-up. I just need to know what I need to get exactly. Can someone tell me all the equipment I need or supplies? If it's possible, can you suggest me the one with good quality? Like as good as TheWaffle77's? =D
If you see my vids, I think I mention that I use LAZN100's Dazzle software. It's a direct pc-to-tv connection so it's very clear. It's like $80 I think.

a rookie

Smash Ace
If you see my vids, I think I mention that I use LAZN100's Dazzle software. It's a direct pc-to-tv connection so it's very clear. It's like $80 I think.
Alright, thanks. Sorry, I didn't read the description. I'll post videos as soon as I can buy the equipment T__T

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Sorry for the double post but I got an idea to revive Melee Mario! Even just a little bit. Let's make a 2010 Mario Community Combo video! We're all Mario fans, right! I propose we get 6-10 minutes of combos from our vids (no old combos [though they're ****] cause that'd be more of a "In memory of Melee Mario" type vid) and make like the Brawl Link Community combo vid that got like 1-5k views?

Whatcha think? I think I have decent combos to add.

n0ne

Smash Ace
nice idea. Im garbage at editing tho. in my vids there are a few good combos . Need to record more tho. Im up.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
what happened to that combo vid?
First order of business is getting the matches in. Then we gotta post them. Then one of us has to make a combo vid out of it.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Just posted tourney videos in the Mario Video Archives =D
Check them out guys! If there's any decent combos, you can use them for the combo video =P

a rookie

Smash Ace
For the record, for the matches I just posted, my controller started to act really gay around that time. If you notice in the first video, I kept jumping up from the ledge right? I meant to wavedash from the ledge =( The sliding attacks was a complete mess up too, lol I think they were supposed to be nairs. But no johns, I still lost! Don't worry my fellow Mario's, I'm getting better, trust me! MacD is ranked in SoCal actually, so I didn't do too bad xD

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I just played in my first non-school tourney today (3rd tourney overall) and I played Mario all the way (even though I'm also a Falco main. Lost on the 1st round of winner's and loser's though (not *****, I wasn't 4-stocked).

Don't worry, I'll keep using Mario in friendlies and tourney's so we can revive Mario and make that community combo video! We just need more Mario mains to come here around the bay area so we can meet up (I can't go far).

...If only Shroomed used Mario...

j3ly

Smash Champion
i recorded tons of mario vs fox games yesterday. i cant upload anything at my house because of poor internet, but my fox combo game is consistent and there is alot of stuff

for those who dont know, dthrow -> dtilt -> fsmash ***** fox falco at 90-100 and falcon a little lower than that. because the window to tech the dtilt is so small, plus its never used they will miss the tech.

also usmash fox/falco/falcon combos into utilt -> regrab without DI at around 40, very useful. if they DI the utilt u can get an fsmash off of it. if they do not, hit them with a late utilt (very useful) and then fsmash. learning the timing of late utilt is invaluable, the hitbox is the same but as u hit them with the end of it, there is less lag and more time to follow up.

fthrow -> jab reset :D this is awesome!! tech chase CF from 0% , do that once or maybe twice, then uthrow -> regrab -> fthrow -> running WD -> jab -> usmash.. works on fox and falco also. sooo much ****. it is all interchangeable apart from the fthrow -> jab. also works with bthrow at like 0% but they will tech for sure. you can techchase falcon forever almost on reaction, what with his awfullll tech.

upB stall -> jab reset hahahaha. this is just gay. stal with upB (kinda hard not to do 2nd jump), wait for them to get close and do it slightly higher. the final hit sends them to the floor, WD onto the stage and jab em.

cape gimps - uthrow -> bthow -> jump out fireball (if they jump str8 away they will be caught by the fireball) -> double jump + cape (after waiting). more ****.

crossover reverse utilt ooWD as an approach - if they zone/camp good obviously dont attempt this but its good against chars with poor range. with a perfect wavedash with good momentum behind it you are actually still sliding 1/2 way through the utilt. its pretty **** good way to start matches is FH fireball -> waveland -> crossover pivot grab. that way if you choose P4 and they choose P1, you may be able to sneak an quick fireball+cape gimp. assuming they shield the fireball that is.

down angled ftilt -> edgehog -> rising nair (abusing invincibility frames). this works 100% of the time on spacies trying to sweetspot the edge from above the stage, and all the time on a failed sideB sweetspot attempt. when they come from below it is less reliable, i recommend fall off stage nair/bair. bair is safer and less reliable. better yet grab the edge and get an invincible cape. against falcon and ganon follow up dtilt with a down angled charged fsmash

i have these reliable things recorded, and many many less reliable/heavily situational combos. my favorite was fireball -> fair.

shiek was recovering, i was at the other side of the stage. i FH fireball, and the fireball hit shiek just above the edge, after it bounced off the floor. i wavelanded from the fireball and just as it connected, i SH faired. KO and won the tournament set :D :D :D

TELEPORTATION COMBO o_O this is my secret, its not a lie - mario can actually teleport, and combo off it. some may know what it is. you have all undoubtedly done it before without realising. it is easiest performed on PS, but once the timing is down anywhere. that is all.

i came 5th, not bad. could have come 4th :'(

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Good stuff, we need Mario in a higher position :D

But just to be sure... can Docs do this? if they could, that'd be counterproductive D:

j3ly

Smash Champion
nah, doc cant do any of that. his down angled ftilt is the same as falcos i think. Maybe fthrow -> jab reset, but doc cant get as much off his grabs as mario can. especially against FFers

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I just noticed, there aren't many Mario mains in California or at least, they don't tourney.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i think mario destroys link lol. grab at 80-100 = almost guarenteed fsmash, often death
cape all projectiles, catch bombs

down cancel his jab

link cant stall the edge very well and is prone to be caught with 2 fireballs while edgehogging and mario is recovering
marios recovery mix up game and di are TOO GOOD to be caught by links nair edgeguards

mario can still combo the living stuffing outta an SDI'ing link
marios dair floor hitox > > > > > to the power of 20| links upB when edgeguarding link

marios cape to stall avoids his hookshot if he tries to stop you edgehogging with his hookshot. if mario uses the invincibility frames. This also covers the option of link throwing a bomb

rising edgehog nair as link is rising from the hanging position from using hookshot = 100% guaranteed stage spike, on every stage. fuxin ****

ledge hopped bairs just adds another way to edgeguard him, along with fireballs

bombjump sucks, i dont think ive ever seen a link recover with it against somebody who is expecting it, as opposed to tech skilling around the stage like a durk

marios utilt totaly beats out links nair and bair. you can combo link to death from a utilt.

link is simply not fast enough to combo anybody who has good A/SDI. he cant cover the extra distance made up from the ASDI nd SDI, let alone normal DI aswell. (lol jk, A/SDI does little but seriously he cant combo mario well atall if all 3 are in effect)

wd back fsmash also beats out links last aereal approach we cant outprioratize, that being fair. fsmash hits link very very hard, and the 2 links i play both have amazing di. even with the amazing di, link has many options but mario can neutralise most of em

rolf link cant edgeguard mario because mario has amazing di and even at 140% at the edge on DL and final D, with amazing di mario will survive links upB strong hit. (same goes for fox fsmash haha)

funny as it sounds mario can projectile camp the crap outta link on final D counterpick, dreamand and PS. FH fireballs with wavelands, or FH fireball to DJ fireball to wavelands. standing fireballs, it goes on. once mario has link in his flow, the fireballs are very counter productive to links spam

---

imo, the secret to beating link is to camp the hell outta him. He cant approach with aerials cos he will either receive a finisher (fsmash) or a launcher (utilt), and he can afford to take neiher.

cape the projectiles, shield + grab the bombs or catch/cape them (has to hit with the latter portion of the cape to reflect). camp out his aereal approaches with utilt/fsmash. full backwards momentum full hopped fireball (so thats reverse fireball with all the forward momentum) -> waveland is too good. Or you could double jump and fire another - and still waveland afterwards. the waveland can be comming in to punish a shielded fireball, or spacing an fsmash or just waveland the remaining portion of the stage and FH fireball again.

WD around alot, predict his FH nairs/fairs with our own FH bair x2 (it auto cancels so there are many many options from this point, you can also AC a uair -> utilt/grab/watever) and WD utilt as approach, other than that i'd say dont really approach much atall. WD ftilt gets momentum, when link is 50+ i think is when he receives stun.

8-10 fireballs shot per stock is a good guide of how many to shoot to aggravate your opponent per stock, knowing when and having the skill to do it on point is the beauty here. if you can stick to 8-10 per stock, thats around 40 fireballs in the game - thats alot of projectiles. Also mario can do an extreamly long waveland afterwards, and is very safe while performing this tech.

i think if mario could beat link, his board n this thread might have a lil more activity. lol C-Soul #1 mario get tony'd
OK so you come onto he boards, blindly stating "if mario could beat link blah blah.." i have stated the direct opposite, and offered many easy to use tricks. not only that, but a method that can be followed like a checklist - cape projectiles, out prioritize approaches , combo to death, edgeguard to hell, camp like hell. there is alot of room for doing it well and poorly, but its a solid strat against link.

link relies on porjectiles a fair amount - how will he feel when he realises not only do maris fireballs bounce infront of him (blocking his projectile) but also stop bombs in their tracks, and are crazy fast and 100% safe? if you shield them you get pressured or grabbed.

hen how about when we cape aswell? he wont stop firing fireballs and i cant camp, oh no! oh ****! i got hit by 1 uptilt at %30 and got combod off stage and edgeguarded to hell. crap. thats what goes through links mind against mario,

all this being said, the matchup is alot harder on YS and FoD and BF, but its still ****

ps, dont fair link

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
j3ly, ya u wrote to much for me to sit and read. for 1, condemn soul is my boy and is considered our states best mario and for the most part, i beat him. so my comment was more so directed towards him then other marios. 2 a grab at 80-100 will only result in a death if the link doesnt di. cuz u wont land a fsmash. too, link is prolly one of the best edge guarders in the game and doesnt need to edge hog, so theres no way he'd be hit by fireballs. n if ur stupid enough to throw a fireball, ull prolly gonna get domed by a bomb n then nair'd right aftr (jus ask soul). and u stuff was too long for me to read much else, but cuz link's nair has priority over mario's fireballs, he cant out camp link. not to mention link's range dominates mario. so unless u invite him in, mario is gonna have a hard time even landing an attack.

but if u feel so strongly that mario is **** to link, then contact soul and tell him how to do it

j3ly

Smash Champion
vids speak louder,
record a set of 3 and i willl try?? i'd llove to see him cane you on vids with my stuff after watching a set where he loses. that would be great for me.

link has serious trouble edgeguard mario cos of how easy ur attacks are to di. asside from the 2nd hit of fsmash, we survive everything without having to use the 3rd jump, and have about 5 or 6 mixups comming back, and our mindgames.

by range u must mean fair and jab. thats about iit and it shouldent work too ofren, besides man utilt destroys nair. plain beats it out. tis ugly, if c-soul sandbags you with utilts and fireball wavelands for a few games it could get nasty once muscle memory and all the subconscious shiz is sorted out. how often do u get the chance to play him

is c-soul really the best in the state with mario? this is to say, if the states best adaptor went mario in tournament, who would get the best results with the character. try seeing how said top player plays the matchup, play a few more marios u kno? you sound convinced of your opinion, which doesnt show alot of matchup xp.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
fireball wavelands was one of the first moves i used to play dbpm and it didnt work well for me.

in other words J3ly, you would have to play him. those would work IF he was a ordinary link but hes has ways of getting around that. Talking about beating him and actually beating him are two different things

i beat 1der i friendlies but i dont know if he was/is best mario in ohio. If i started going to tourneys Id be talked about whenever mario is mentioned.

dbpm is EQUAL to me. dont let him make it seem like he destroys me -_- because we almost always go last stock with 60-100 %

j3ly

Smash Champion
im a very untrusting person, i need vids :(
im not saying that you guys arnt amazing because you may must be, but i still believe that certain strategies can be rinsed and re-washed.

it doesnt matter how funky that link is, links weaknesses lie in his combobility, how many chars can combo him out of his own grab combos (if you di slightly behind he recieves either uair or nair off every grab until, i dont know - ill say 30%), his huge lack in ko power (asside fsmash hit no.2), and the fact that he cant run fast enough to chain horizontal combos together

exploit his combobility and our insane priority with utilt+cape+WD fsmashing camping him
exploit his poor grab combos with uair -> dthrow (we can CG him a little ya kno)
exploit his ko power with DI that sends you into the corner each and every finisher
nulliffy his comboing by SDIing his utilt behind like you would playing spacie vs marth trapped on platform. other than that buffer rollls out of his soft combo starters, di everything as away as you can.
cape projectiles and catch bombs, try throwing 10 fireballs per stock. you are 100% safe throwing those fireballs, as long as you begin in close range and get full backwards momentum, with a reverse fireball.

links strengths lie in his projectile camping game, his ability to pressure in all kinds of situaions with his sick headed jab, his edgeguarding is ok and he has a good oos game too. cape projectiles, down cancel f/d-smash his jab, di nullifies his edgeguarding to a disgussting level, and dont do stupid things like fairing his shield, grabbing whenever you can instead and upB shouldent be a problem atall. di makes it even less of a threat

most importantly tho, pls just try the utilt/fsmash camping out. it works vs falcon too - its a shame he is so fast, if he was slower mario could beat him without moving because utilt beats out all of his aereals.

and ps one game doesnt count as trying the strategy out :p
looking forward to links of vids from either side,

j3ly 4 pres

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
soul has ur utilt ever over prioritized my nair? i cant even read j3ly whole message, its too long and im sure its more pointed towards u. n honestly we do need to put some vids togthr especially cuz cjugs is tryin to take my song for his combo vid.

n no disrespect j3ly, i think soul would beat u mario dittos. u have an good mario no lie, but it feels like u lack the knowledge in certain match-ups to do the right tilts n uairs to utilize ur best comboes. i saw the match vs falcon n it felt like u more relied on him approaching to be able to do wat u wanna VS bein able to approach

and over-all, like i said this was a friendly convo between me, soul n tony(i couldnt type that without laughing) but im sure i kno the mario vs link match-up better then both of u. link is without question, one of the hardest characters to compete with. so u dont need to tell me wat he can n cant do. i dont own the game, so i dont get to practice. but i study movesets wen we play. mario combos link better then falco can if he gets in reach. but keeping mario outside my fairs jabs makes it harder for him to combo. my nair has priority of just about any attack mario has. and my bair-utilt-jab-grab combos are lethal. all in all, its a match-up that favors mario. soul use to be ALOT better then me, but im workin up n into it. so now its mostly even with me wining 3outta5 matches

hows that for a message tech-chaser lol

Top Bottom