• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Now that the Roster is Quite Possibly Leaked. Who Would you Like to See Arrive in DLC form

PsychoticRelapse

Smash Rookie
When reading this thread, you must think, why in the hell is someone talking about DLC for Smash. Especially when the game hasn't even come out. Well my reason for posting this thread, is:
1) You get the opportunity to list who you want that didn't make it into the leaked roster
2) A lot of developers plan their DLC before a game is even released, so why not talk about it now as well (There is strong connection with this point and point 3).
3) There is a chance that Nintendo do look at forums for suggestions (possibly how Palutena and Little Mac got in), and hell they may need some suggestions for character DLC already.

So anyway, I personally think 4 sets of DLC pack containing 3 characters is a good number. So I've come up with the following

We Haven't Left Yet (Veterans returning)
-Ice Climbers
-Mewtwo
-Snake

You've Been Promoted (Characters of Assist Trophy status, that are removed from the assist trophies and become playable)
-Isaac (Golden Sun) (assuming he returns as an AT)
-Tingle (Zelda)(Either representing for Zelda or his own series)
-Dark Samus (Metroid)(We need a Metroid rep, and I think Ridley is going to end up being a stage hazard)

How Could We Forget You (Just a couple of characters that should be in)
-Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven) (People have come up with great ideas, such as the Chorus Men having a rhythm oriented moveset. Plus it's one of Nintendo's more recent successful franchises)
-King K. Rool (DK)
-Vaati (Zelda)(I think Zelda deserves an extra rep, if Mario gets two. Impa might be more suitable but I can't remember if she was confirmed to be an assist trophy)

A New Generation (Characters from new Nintendo IPs) (Last to be released)
-Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
-Captain Fleming (Codename S.T.E.A.M)
-Inklings (Splatoon)

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Mewtwo, no doubt

And how would Tingle and Not Samus work? would their AT availability be disabled?

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
If assist trophy characters are dlc then they would have to be ones not confirmed yet for sm4sh.

Isaac (golden sun)
Ray (custom robo)
Andy (wars - controls the infantry and tanks)

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
When reading this thread, you must think, why in the hell is someone talking about DLC for Smash. Especially when the game hasn't even come out. Well my reason for posting this thread, is:
1) You get the opportunity to list who you want that didn't make it into the leaked roster
2) A lot of developers plan their DLC before a game is even released, so why not talk about it now as well (There is strong connection with this point and point 3).
3) There is a chance that Nintendo do look at forums for suggestions (possibly how Palutena and Little Mac got in), and hell they may need some suggestions for character DLC already.

So anyway, I personally think 4 sets of DLC pack containing 3 characters is a good number. So I've come up with the following

We Haven't Left Yet (Veterans returning)
-Ice Climbers
-Mewtwo
-Snake

You've Been Promoted (Characters of Assist Trophy status, that are removed from the assist trophies and become playable)
-Isaac (Golden Sun) (assuming he returns as an AT)
-Tingle (Zelda)(Either representing for Zelda or his own series)
-Dark Samus (Metroid)(We need a Metroid rep, and I think Ridley is going to end up being a stage hazard)

-Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven) (People have come up with great ideas, such as the Chorus Men having a rhythm oriented moveset. Plus it's one of Nintendo's more recent successful franchises)
-King K. Rool (DK)
-Vaati (Zelda)(I think Zelda deserves an extra rep, if Mario gets two. Impa might be more suitable but I can't remember if she was confirmed to be an assist trophy)

A New Generation (Characters from new Nintendo IPs) (Last to be released)
-Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
-Captain Fleming (Codename S.T.E.A.M)
-Inklings (Splatoon)
While I would like a lot of these characters added, some like Captain Fleming and the Inklings are a bit unlikely.
I expect maybe 3. Ice Climbers, (possibly) Mewtwo, and Chorus Men.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, any of the fairly requested but not yet shown characters - Dixie, Isaac, Lip, K. Rool would qualify.

And the cuts - Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Definitely Isaac. That is IF he is not a part of the roster which I seriously doubt. And if Nintendo looked at popularity to put characters (which they most likely did) I still think that since the All star mode is locked we will still get characters especially the hyped popular ones.

Cause Nintendo wants Smash Bros. 4 to make shift tons of units. I for one have not yet bought a Wii U so if my favourite character is in, day one buy no doubt about it!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
-King K. Rool (DK)
First of all, unrelated to the quoted piece, the whole roster hasn't been leaked yet as All-Star mode was still locked.
Secondly, Ridley.
Third, how about a Villains pack? Ridley, K. Rool, Pig Ganon, those guys.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I swear to god, I will never need to Smash speculate ever again after he finally makes it. What a sweet relief that will be.

Plus ya know...

amiibo compatible. I need some info on that plz.

(Maybe Dixie/Impa/Bandana Dee too)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
IF they aren't unlocklabes, I would like to see:
Veterans:
-Ice Climbers,
-Mewtwo,
-Snake,
-Lucas,
-Wolf,
-Pichu.
Newcomers:
-Captain Toad,
-Impa (or a NEW Zelda rep, not another clone, Sakurai),
-Inklings,
-King K. Rool,
-Bandana Dee,
-Chorus Kid/ Marshal.

They cold be released in pack of 3:
-From Melee with Love (Ice Climbers, Mewtwo and Pichu),
-Keep you waiting, uh? (Snake, Wolf, Lucas),
-Deadly Cuteness (Bandana Dee, CK/Marshall, Inklings)
-Who is the Captain? (King K. Rool, Captain Toad and Impa)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yeah, we don't have the full roster yet. So these are both my hopes for the few remaining places and my wishes for DLC:

Returns of characters who've been cut, since everyone has their fanbase:
  • Mewtwo
  • Squirtle
  • Wolf
  • Ivysaur
  • Ice Climbers
  • Lucas
Personally, I really want Wolf and the Pokémon back, not to say anything of how much I want Mewtwo to come by.

There are some villains we need in, since you can't make a game without an antagonist. And the HUGE fanbases for these two:
  • Ridley
  • K. Rool
And finally, I really want some promotions. I think that their AT could be disabled upon downloading, or it could remain and just have a chance of confusing everyone if they pop up. Not a huge issue. The ones I really want to see are:
  • Midna
  • Ghirahim
  • Possibly others like Takamaru, Lyn or Dark Samus

D

Deleted member

The only two characters that I want to see be DLC are Bandana Dee and Wolf.
I would love to see Bandana Dee be playable and I think that he would make for an interesting fighter. Since the leaks don't state that he's in, DLC is the next best thing for him.
While Wolf was a likely cut, it's a shame that he had to go despite his awesome moveset. I would love to see him return.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Up n' Coming
Inkling
Captain Fleming

Promoted
Isaac
Andy

Little League
Ice Climbers
Chorus Kids

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Captain Toad.

Been wanting Toad since Melee, and if Toad's own game can't warrant him a spot - I have no idea what else the little shroom needs...

For veterans, I'd like to see everyone who was cut return. Yes, even Pichu. Every character had their fans, the least Sakurai can do is give everyone a fighting chance once again.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I don't think we should even begin speculating who should be DLC characters until the full roster is officially revealed. I still doubt the full roster pic leak because it looks amateurish. They have gotten hold of official art work for the game then made their own character select screen. The videos and other screen shots look legit but that select screen, no, not at all.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
I think if there's any DLC, it could include any of the following:
-K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo(Considering their not in the final roster)
-Any cut characters
-Paper Mario
-Bandana Dee
-Captain Toad
-Wonder-Red

And since Sakurai seems to like to give his franchises a lot of love:
-Hades

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This is assuming the leak we have now is the complete roster, which I'm not really convinced about.

Isaac and Mewtwo are absolute musts for me but I also think Andy, Chibi Robo, Ridley (if the hazard is Meta Ridley) and then either K Rool or Dixie (preferably K Rool) would make great fun additions to the roster. Then Ice Climbers and Lucas from the recent cuts.

It may be a little early for an Inkling, maybe I'll feel differently next year.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'll take anything they give us, as I love all Nintendo characters.
I'm assuming that the leaker's roster was all correct, and that his comment about Ridley, Dixie, Mach Rider, Mewtwo, and Impa is true.
So I'd like to see:
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Lucas
Snake
Paper Mario
King K. Rool
Captain Toad
Blaziken
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Rayman
Roy
Wart (Not a popular choice, but he's a personal favorite of mine)
Pichu (Just to have ALL veterans)
Wonder Red
Tails / Knuckles (They should come together)
Chorus Kids (I'm neutral about them, but a lot of people want them, so I'm hopeful for them)

If AT's can be promoted to playable characters:
Waluigi
Tingle
Dillon
Saki

And finally, here's my list of unrealistic wants:
Batman
Superman
Crash Bandicoot
Banjo-Kazooie
Ryu Hayabusa
Dragonite
128 Marios
Dry Bones
Homer Simpson
Goku
Ozzy Osbourne
Jack Black
Metallica Skull

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm not really convinced that the leak is the final roster, and the DLC "leak" was proven fake, but here's my two cents:
  • Snake (comes with Stage, music etc)
  • Chorus Kids/Marshal/other RH rep (if not on initial roster)
  • Wolf, Lucas, IC (if truly cut)
  • Fiora (kinda hoping for her to be an initial fighter tbh, at least unlockable)
  • Neku (if and only if they decide to have another 3rd party)
  • Mewtwo, if not on the initial roster
and I guess that's it for me

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I'm not really convinced that the leak is the final roster, and the DLC "leak" was proven fake, but here's my two cents:
  • Snake (comes with Stage, music etc)
  • Chorus Kids/Marshal/other RH rep (if not on initial roster)
  • Wolf, Lucas, IC (if truly cut)
  • Fiora (kinda hoping for her to be an initial fighter tbh, at least unlockable)
  • Neku (if and only if they decide to have another 3rd party)
  • Mewtwo, if not on the initial roster
and I guess that's it for me
Neku would be amazing! Although the HD solo remix was on Android and iOS. Actually playing that right now while typing this, but I loved the DS original much more!But the problem he is 3rd party and there are a lot of 1st party representatives which need representation!

In the end Isaac takes priority!

He is an absolute must have for me in this game! I have been waiting for so long! I still hope the roster is incomplete in the leak and with DLC other characters can be added with Isaac already being in the game :p

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Mercedes Benz for smash!!! [/sarcasm]

I haven't heard anything about Ridley, Dixie, Impa etc, where did that info come from?

Anyways, I feel as though the first wave of DLC should be including all the characters that were cut. Pichu returns just like Squirtle & Ivysaur should, as well as Young Link with the moveset Toon Link should of had from his beginning :troll:

Baltarc

Smash Rookie
The only correct answer here is Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm all for DLC Assist Trophy promotions, but if they are based on Assist Trophies that were ALREADY confirmed to be in this game then it would be a complete waste of time and resources. Just save those characters for Smash 5 and wait like the rest of us.

0ShadowStories

Smash Rookie
Issac (Fan for a long time of GS)
King K Rool (Villains)
Wolf (I need my Main.)
Ice Climbers (Please the fanbase)
Ghirahim (The game isn't fabulous without him as playable)
Ridley (if he isn't in somehow)
Mewtwo (same as Ridley)
Excitebike (idk i just think it could work xD)
Shovel Knight (He is cool. That's about it.)

Electric Lady

Smash Rookie
NNID
JohnQuixote
3DS FC
0662-4546-8146
I think it'd be good to see certain characters that may have taken a while to develop as DLC, like Ice Climbers who the devs noted were a struggle for putting in Smash 4 3DS, or Snake who they even had a hard time fitting in Brawl if I'm remembering right (getting the feel of the character without using realistic guns, which is against even Sm4sh dev policy.) Some alternate costumes would be cool too (maybe some of the alternate forms of Megaman if it wouldn't be too hard to keep the hitboxes the same?)

That said, I'd prefer that there weren't any DLC at all. One of the things I like about Nintendo is that I can trust them to actually make and release a complete game, rather than taking advantage of the consumer by intentionally withholding content to set up for purchase after release. If the DLC gets planned and developed after release or is free DLC, that's a bit of a different situation. But I'd be very upset with the idea of pre-planned DLC which, as the topic creator mentioned, is a common business tactic.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well guys good news is that there is DLC for Mario Kart 8! Which really improves the chances for DLC in Smash Bros 4. It will be awesome if Nintendo adds characters to the game it was unable to add during initial development, through DLC!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
That said, I'd prefer that there weren't any DLC at all. One of the things I like about Nintendo is that I can trust them to actually make and release a complete game, rather than taking advantage of the consumer by intentionally withholding content to set up for purchase after release. If the DLC gets planned and developed after release or is free DLC, that's a bit of a different situation. But I'd be very upset with the idea of pre-planned DLC which, as the topic creator mentioned, is a common business tactic.
I don't think DLC automatically means "The game's incomplete, buy this to get the rest." SSB has loads of characters, and any new ones, even those who were cut from one game to the other, still need to be decently redone and rebalanced. I'd pay for something like a character DLC since its exclusion does not make the game incomplete. The game will work perfectly well with a 50 character roster, despite what I and others may think about the exclusion of Mewtwo, Ridley or K.Rool or the inclusion of Dark Pit. It's a complete game, and and extra characters are filling. Delicious filling that I do want to happen, but filling nonetheless.

I think DLC is actually helpful for games. Even those who plan DLC with the game, since it adds to the world. The ones that fail are the ones that release half a game in the first place, one that leaves you feeling unfulfilled unless you buy the DLC. However, I've seen some games that worked perfectly well without the day one DLC of new clothes or whatever. Most fighting games bring in new characters as DLC, and that would be fine for all of us, as I'm sure most people would like an expanded roster. We'd feel cheated if someone like Ridley or Mewtwo, as hyped and teased as they are, ended up as day-one DLC. But getting someone like Squirtle to be alone and playable a few months after release? That's fine, and I'd buy it in a second.

Case in point: I am terrible at driving games. My karts end up off the track more often than on, so the only Mario Kart I've played was with friends. I do not nor have never owned a MK game myself. But I just found out that Link was going to be DLC in MK8, and my immediate thoughts were "When does it get released?" and "I should get this game." DLC made me want to get the game itself. Likewise, if someone is sour that their favorite character is not in Smash (or had to be cut for space issues), DLC could inspire that person to buy the game.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Smash Boarders, I have a dream:

DLC Season 1: Assist Trophy promotions and Late Comers

Lucas
Ice Climbers
Andy (Advance Wars)
Isaac (Golden Sun)

Bonus for buying Season Pass: Metal Mario (Another Doc Mario/Lucina level clone)

DLC Season 2: Pokemon!

Pichu
Mewtwo
Venusaur
Blastoise

Bonus for buying Season Pass: Raichu (Pichu is a clone of Pikachu, so's Raichu, just different ways.)

DLC Season 3: Smashing Antagonists!

Wolf
Ridley
Porky
Vaati

Bonus for buying Season Pass: Galactica Knight with alt costume Dark Matter (Meta Knight clone)

DLC Season 4: Smash Side-kick!

Captain Toad
Bandana Dee
Cranky Kong
Tails

Bonus for buying Season Pass: Doc Louis (Best Little Mac Clone ever)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hmmm

Ray MK and Isaac are the only ones I can really peg for DLC right now. Since there is zero sign of them.

As far as mewtwo, ridley, wolf, lucas go... there's still 5 spots open on that roster image leak. Also lucas and wolf could been alts for ness and fox now.

andimidna

Smash Master
My unlikely predictions ;)

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Lucas
Snake
Chorus Men
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Roy
Pichu
Young Link
Captain Toad
Sceptile
Lana
Inkling
Bayonetta

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The first and most important priority I'd say is adding back the cut veterans. Particularly, Snake, ICs, Lucas, and Wolf.

For the record, I believe what we see in those leaks is the full initial roster. But I've noticed something on the CSS that is hopefully a sign of things to come.

As you can see, if some adjustments were made to the CSS (IE Rearranging the characters, making the character icons themselves smaller), Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers could potentially end up fitting reasonably well with their respective series (Wolf near/under the SF Duo, Lucas near/under Ness, ICs near/under the other retro, Nintendo R&D1 properties). I didn't put Snake in the image above, but they could always move the Random box over a bit, leaving room for him near the other third parties, should he return.

Some people might be iffy on whether ICs will return at all due to supposed issues with them working on 3DS, but I don't know. I can't really imagine Sakurai cutting the Ice Climbers, two time veterans that everyone knows and loves (mostly), and having no plans on bringing them back, especially with the Polar Bear running around in Smash Run.

I think Wolf and Lucas are both strong DLC candidates as well, as they're both fairly easy to implement already (I'd assume they didn't make the initial cut because they were lower on the priority poll and the devs didn't quite have enough time to get them done by launch). Snake I could see as a possibility too. Kojima and Sakurai were both happy with the way he turned out so maybe they're both itching to do it again, even if not on the initial roster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Lucas
Wolf
Snake
Ivysaur/Sceptile
Mewtwo
King K. Rool

Considering Ridley already has an assigned role in the launch version I don't see it as a possibility.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Isaac (or Matthew) from Golden Sun is far and away my top choice. Put him in and I'm golden.

As for sets of characters, here's who I'd like to see.

Assist trophy newcomers: Promoted assist trophies from some of the longer-running series without any playable presence. Golden Sun and Advance Wars both deserve to be on the roster, and there are other series like Custom Robo that could use a spot, too.
  • Isaac (or Matthew) from Golden Sun
  • Sami (or Andy) from Advance Wars
  • Ray from Custom Robo (or Saki or Starfy or someone else similar)

Veterans: Characters from the previous Smash games. Ice Climbers are my biggest priority, but it'd be great to see Mewtwo and some of the others.
  • Ice Climbers
  • Mewtwo
  • Wolf
  • Lucas
  • Roy
  • Pichu (or perhaps Plusie and Minun tag team with a Pichu skin)
  • Ivysaur
  • Squirtle
  • Snake
Edit: Accidentally posted before I finished my thoughts.

The Underserved: Franchises big enough to deserve another character yet somehow got passed over. Donkey Kong is the biggest, but Zelda could use another considering how it's one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.
  • K Rool or Dixie from Donkey Kong.
  • Dark Samus (maybe)
  • Pico from F-Zero (maybe)
  • Impa

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Isaac (or Matthew) from Golden Sun is far and away my top choice. Put him in and I'm golden.

As for sets of characters, here's who I'd like to see.

Assist trophy newcomers: Promoted assist trophies from some of the longer-running series without any playable presence. Golden Sun and Advance Wars both deserve to be on the roster, and there are other series like Custom Robo that could use a spot, too.
  • Isaac (or Matthew) from Golden Sun
  • Sami (or Andy) from Advance Wars
  • Ray from Custom Robo (or Saki or Starfy or someone else similar)

Veterans: Characters from the previous Smash games. Ice Climbers
  • Ice Climbers
  • Mewtwo
  • Wolf
  • Lucas
  • Roy
  • Pichu (or perhaps Plusie and Minun tag team with a Pichu skin)
  • Ivysaur
  • Squirtle
  • Snake
Yea put Isaac in the game and everything is alright :) Just hope the reveals are not over and the leaked roster is not complete, cause then Isaac as well as other wanted characters stand a chance without relying on DLC. Although the case for DLC is looking more hopeful since Nintendo announced DLC for Mario Kart 8 today, so why should Smash be an exception :)

I would love an inclusion from Advance Wars but to me it seems unlikely. Advance Wars was never too popular in Japan and even now Intelligent Systems hasn't made a very recent game since Days of Ruin which was a reboot or spin-off whatever you can say it was. But I still loved it. A character from Advance Wars would be amazing. But what could be a moveset for them?

I am on the fence regarding Snake. It is not like his games are coming to Nintendo's consoles anymore, so that is one veteran that I am not very comfortable about.

Nintendo should just announce some new characters already since the hype train has slowed down significantly! It needs a boost!

Otherwise, we would have to wait for DLC after the game is out! And that time is still far away.

Top Bottom