• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I went back and played Melee today

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
HOLY ****. I suck now. lol Seriously I got 3 stocked in a 5 stock match by level 9 Fox in my first match back, and then barely won the second match. Falcon's recovery = crap in that game compared to Brawl. The Knee is sick. lol God it miss it. Dair too. Was loving that stuff and I didn't even use it well. Seriously I knew my skills would deteriorate in Melee after Brawl came out but I seriously am terrible now. Everything feels so weird. It's like warp speed and totally different controls almost. lol I don't think I'll ever be able to be good at both games at the same time. Melee is still fun but being bad at it like I am now makes it a lot less fun.

So yeah just felt like posting about my experience today. Anybody else ventured back to Melee since Brawl?

Mann

Smash Ace
Yup. Still wavedashing, l-cancelling, moon walking, and dash dancing.

Oh, and Nairs, Dairs, knees. Uthrows to jabs. Dthrows/Uthrows to knees. :p

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
You see, before Brawl came out I decided to master Melee. I don't know why. I never got everything down, but I could combo with CFalcon, caped things with Doc, and got pretty good. Then Brawl said "ohai everything you know is wrong".

Reaver197

Smash Lord
It actually does feel weird at first to switch between the two games at first, but I've gotten used to the differences, so after a few warm-up rounds in Melee, I'm pretty much rearin' to go.

But, yeah, I find that Melee, for me, is the truly competitive mainstay of Smash, while Brawl is a game I play in a bit more relaxed and casual setting, or for playing with friends that never really got into Melee.

But, yeah, Melee Falcon was how he was meant to be played. He feels so unnatural in Brawl, having the essentially same moveset, yet not able to flow from any of his attacks.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Combos = glory.

I really like the improvements that Brawl Falcon has over Melee Falcon, such as recovery, aerial Raptor Boost attack, sliding Usmash, extended Fsmash, and other things like that. But the things that got downgraded are just so much more essential to Falcon's game than those upgrades are. Dair is quite possibly the most nerfed move on the whole from Melee to Brawl. The Knee is also downgraded. Air speed is also crap now.

However even with all of that I still LOVE playing as Brawl Falcon. There's no other character in Brawl that even comes close in terms of FUN (for me at least). Sure, I have pretty good other characters that I'm probably better with in the big scheme of things, but I always find myself coming back to Falcon.

Besides I think it'll be cool getting a bunch of "WTF?" looks if/when I attend tourneys. lol Especially if I'm able to win. lol

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I hated melee falcon.

I would always rack up damage to 100ish range via SHL, dair->shines and hope that I get a bair/sex kick off as falco. Then I get grabbed and kneed at 60 and die instantly.

So I just counter picked Shiek and problem solved.

Brawl falcon makes me sad that he got nerfed horribly (except for his recovery) But then again, I'm glad I don't have to eat the overpowered knee out of gurantee throws/raptor boosts/dairs.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I played Melee Falcon earlier this afternoon and I was actually good with him. I just can't understand Brawl Falcon. Oh the good old days...

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
lol @ .kR0

If Brawl had significant hitstun you'd be having the same blues still. lol
Probably not. Because raptor boosts send people too high (it'll be buffed at low percentage though, but at that point it wouldn'r really matter too much). Knee knockback got nerfed slightly and you can DI pretty far away out of his throws. So even with added hitstun the overall knockback and floatiness of characters is going to make the knee still quite difficult to land. I'll be more afraid of upair juggles if more hitstun was added.

I mean with more hitstun, Toon can probably bair combo you from 0-60 guranteed on most characters. R.O.B. can WOP with his fairs. MK can upair juggle you till he runs out of jumps. Zamus can dthrow->upB->dtilt->upair you for a guranteed easy 40dmg each time.

Falcon wouldn't benefit the most with added hitstun.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
The knee's coming for you, .kR0!

It'll find you, in your sleep.

I guarantee it.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even going to relearn waveshining and dair combos with Falco. I'll just use SHL and l-cancel sexkick/dairs into shines and hope that I don't get grabbed.

If I do, I'll just use the win button with shiek.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
moonwalking = seriously why did they remove it? its falcon's signature move

Trozz

Smash Ace
I prefer Melee Falcon, but I still play Falcon in Brawl. Melee Falcon had teh knee. Brawl Falcon has a weird stutter-smash that gives the elbow more range. Mleh.

Totodileex

Smash Cadet
Lol, same basic concept happens to me. I've always used Falcon, but I never realized how much better his recovery is in Brawl.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I think there should be a new rule for the Falcon section. You must train and keep up your Melee Falcon in order to truly appreciate the character. Or to truly appreciate the knee, which is almost as important.

But, yeah, hopefully a lot of tournaments will be dual Brawl/Melee. If they let Melee die out completely, I'll never forgive the world.

mesCo

Smash Cadet
luckily ive never had the experience of playing melee so i dont know the difference between captain falcon then and now :)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
When I had a Brawl party with my friends (the weekend after Brawl came out) we played a game on SSB64, one on Melee, and then moved forward to Brawl, just because I figured it would be cool to see the difference. I did horribly, and was very glad when we moved on to Brawl.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
we know how he is in melee thank you. this is brawl discussion
Ooooooh, my bad. Because there are SO many Falcon topics being created everyday that there's just no room for one like this that is slightly off topic. My bad Mr. Admin.

Sue me.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Just got done with another Melee session and I'm pretty depressed. It's as if Brawl has sucked all of my Melee knowledge out of me, because I suck really bad and have no idea what I'm doing. I can't remember any of the tactics and combos I used to use and I usually just end up spamming The Knee and trying to get lucky. lol It's going to be really hard for me to relearn the game... :(

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, that's partially why I probably won't return to Melee...

Obviously I'll go back to it occasionally, since I always go back to old games, and there are some things in Melee I wouldn't mind seeing again that aren't in Brawl, but I intend to play it less than regularly.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
It's kind of interesting but Brawl has sort of indirectly helped me with Melee. Not anything I learned from the actual game itself, but when I first went back to Melee, I too had a bit of a tough time remembering the specific tactics and actions I took when playing Melee. It actually really helped by deconstructing my game and allowing me to see flaws in how I naturally played the game, or some of the bad quirks or unconscious habits I had developed in Melee.

Now to take my game even further in Melee. Brawl made Melee even more fun for me to play. What a weird thing to say.

Besides, it's not like it's technically demanding to play Brawl. Once you get used to switching between the two, it really isn't that difficult to play both.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Too bad you don't have like anyone to practice playing falcon against in melee.

Except the ******** lvl9 cpus.

Btw, I know Reaver IRL so I can be a ******* to him and he knows I'm not being serious.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Reaver, I haven't experienced this since I've only played Melee once since Brawl came out, but after reading your post, it makes a lot of sense that that would happen. Plus, I could play with Samus before they nerfed her.

Heh, who would've guessed that we'd get two for one--Brawl, and a more fun Melee?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I'll find someone to play...like...John...occasionally... : (

But, yeah. Now it's just convincing people to play Melee.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I'll play.

Just 2vs2's. There isn't much incentive for me to play a serious, competitive 1vs1 in melee anymore. It's just not as fun compared to teams in general (both brawl and melee teams).

Of course, the problem now is finding 1 other evenly skilled player.

Cause one mediocre teammate = lose. The best example being "that guy" (no offense to him).

The best times in melee was when I was teamed up with Tngu. And you with Rai. That **** needs to happen more. Except Rai needs to do less gay **** and more flashy stuff (or funny stuff).

And good thing I main shiek. You can't go wrong with a shiek in your team in melee.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
My friend mains Sheik in Melee and Pit in Brawl. I thought that he was just as good as me back when all there was was Melee. But now that he plays Pit in Brawl and isn't that good with him, I think otherwise. Especially since I've learned on here that Sheik is a sort of Falcon counter. He was a pretty nice Sheik though. Still pretty good with him in Brawl except he got hit by the nerf bus.

My two other main Smash friends both main Samus in Melee. The one switched to Ike in Brawl and the other to Metaknight. I'm the only one who really kept his Melee character for Brawl. lol But yeah I'd like to keep my Melee skills up (well right now just get them back) because the game speed + non-nerfed Falcon = great times. Oh and the old "Show your moves" is better (how could they nerf THAT?). But yeah honestly I have just as much fun playing Brawl as Melee I'd say. They're so different in my mind that they're almost incomparable at some points. I could be happy with either one honestly, and having both is just a bonus.

Hopefully I can get my Melee Falcon game back by late May though because I'm planning on attending a Melee/Brawl tourney in Tampa and I'd hate to suck the Melee day up.

BTW Reaver did you find it hard to roll and dash in Melee right after coming out of Brawl? I seriously can't do those two simple things precisely anymore. lol I've been trying to practice against computers but those matches don't help that much. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the guys over and try and convince them to play Melee again for a little while. lol

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I do notice Melee's little thing of "it's much harder to start to run in the opposite direction you're facing". Starting to run in Melee feels a lot "stickier" than in Brawl for some reason. I can't say I really had an issue rolling, though I make it a point to roll as little as possible in Melee. The largest impact, though, is definitely to the timing of my l-cancels, and then quickly moving again afterwards. However, nothing is really so bad after a couple of warm-up rounds.

However, a couple things I do every now and then purely because of Brawl is trying to spotdodge to much and occasionally trying to return with my side-B. I usually realize after the first time I accidentally do it though, and it usually only happens if I try to play Melee right after playing Brawl.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Eh, you don't need to roll in melee. Thats probably the biggest change.

Wavedash back/spotdodge is just a much better option than rolling in melee. Because you can be doing a move while you move back compared to rolls which pretty much moves you slowly back without letting you do anything.

And with Falcon, you can just DD away from their moves easily and just grab. And let the techchase begin.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Well I guess I can work on not rolling anymore after those two posts! lol I have always rolled since the Melee days. Guess that's not the best thing to do though. I'll definitely have to work on getting rid of that then.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Well, it's not that rolling is completely useless, it's just that it's extremely punishable if overused.

I always usually roll by accident when I try to shield jump and for some reason DON'T (grrrr) then hit the cstick in order to attack, but instead I roll.

But, yeah. Triple knees? Triple knees.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Yeah Melee Knee rocks. Seriously I miss it SO bad when I play Brawl. Honestly though I have to say that the ideal Falcon (for me at least) would be half Melee, half Brawl. Seriously his recovery is so broken in Brawl and when I go back to Melee it's just... ugh. I also really love aerial Raptor Boost in Brawl. In Melee it's just useless for the most part. However Melee of course has Dair, Fair, all types of speed, and a non-pathetic approach game. Maybe in SSB4 there will be a sort of Melee/Brawl mix type thing going on and Falcon will be top tier! lol One can only hope.

By the way I really hope Brawl isn't the last Smash game. Seriously I love Brawl's stuff a lot more than Melee's stuff (stages, music, depth; stuff like that), but the game itself is not as fulfilling, especially for Falcon mainers like myself. lol

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Taht video posted of Scar's combo was epic..

Good times, Falcon was glorious back then. Still -can- be epic, but no more triple knees lol.

Great memories, but I love everything else Brawl has brought, so I won't be seriously playing Melee.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vziStKcg6g

Another visual interpretation of why Melee is freaking awesome, and why, if you an ounce of respect for Falcon, you should play it anyway.
The FD clip starting at 3:01 nearly made me cry. That was ridiculous. Man I miss good old Falcon. I find myself playing Melee more and more now that I'm getting back into form with him. Brawl is so much fun and stuff but Melee will never be replaced simply because it doesn't have stuff like that.

*goes to practice Melee Falcon*

*needs to learn how to wavedash well*

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I love ya', Keykid. Gimme a fist pound! Wait, that's not manly enough for a Falcon board.

HEAD POUND!

But, yeah, SS is so good with those moonwalk jumps. I can't really moonwalk and I've stopped trying to mostly because it literally eats controllers.

Top Bottom