• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I sent out an E-mail about 5 days ago.

person701

Smash Journeyman
This e-mail was directed to the MLG (Major Leauge Gaming) addressing my following question:

I was just wondering, why was Smash Bros Melee taken off of the Pro Circuit?

Thank you for your time.
And now that I'm home, I have a responce. I'm not trying to pull any strings or what have you. Believe me or don't.

Responce:
Thanks for reaching out. In 2007 we were between the old version of the game and the new one that was coming out on the Wii, so interest was waning. We decided that it would not be big enough to stay on the Pro Circuit and instead we supported a community based organization that hosted multiple tournaments across the country utilizing our infrastructure, official rules, etc. It was primarily run by our MLG trained referees, etc.

When the new Smash came out on the Wii, most of the competitive players didn’t transition to it as the game seems to be much different that the previous platform.
IMO this means two things. They could bring Melee back to the pro circut or they could hold out on us untill some ground breaking tech is discovered in Brawl.

~Discuss~

Cinder

Smash Master
Hrm...I'm hoping for the former...because in my honest opinion, I doubt any tech in Brawl will be groundbreaking enough to kick Melee out for good...that's just my two cents, though...

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't sound like it's saying anything either way. It's more just stating fact. That fact, in turn, will probably lead to Melee being reinstated (if they put Smash in at all), seeing as it's growing in popularity while Brawl is waning, albeit little by little.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
untill some ground breaking tech is discovered in Brawl.
I lol'd.

Sounds like MLG isn't oblivious to Melee's support. I'd say it's definately possible that SSBM will be brought back, though not all that likely.

Unless, of course, in the future our constant support shows them the light, and they keep both games. Optimally, we would have the SSB community continue to parallel the Street Fighter franchise, where new and old versions are still considered tourney-worthy.

Then again, MLG is different. I'm not too sure if they'd see enough of a reason to bring an old game back. Some people are just like that with older games. They think newer = better.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Interesting. I hope they'll bring it back again, even if they keep MLG Brawl going as well. I think that having the two of them together would actually show more people how much more exciting Melee is.

They did admit that "most" of the competitive players didn't switch over, but in order for them to add Melee again, they'll need a lot more support/people. I remember hearing how Melee just didn't bring in enough entrants/revenue in each time, which is another reason why they decided to discontinue the trend.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. I hope they'll bring it back again, even if they keep MLG Brawl going as well. I think that having the two of them together would actually show more people how much more exciting Melee is.

They did admit that "most" of the competitive players didn't switch over, but in order for them to add Melee again, they'll need a lot more support/people. I remember hearing how Melee just didn't bring in enough entrants/revenue in each time, which is another reason why they decided to discontinue the trend.
Hmm, I see. But what get's me is if they're able to pay attention (apparently) to how the Melee community is still going strong, wouldn't they notice how much news a Melee tournie can spark? I mean, to some such isn't so great but to others it's great news.

But they're just like any other company: money and secrets.

I.B

Smash Lord
Hopefully this Atlantic North Melee Circuit will bring more hype towards Melee which will gain MLG's attention and then they bring it back =D

But apparently there was also some sponsorship issues involved.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Nothing groundbreaking will be discovered in Brawl. Stop being unrealistic and stupid, people.
MLG probably just thought that Brawl would be something completely different then it turned out to be. They thought it would be some sort of upgrade or would atleast follow the same formula, which it really didn't because Nintendo tried to make the game terrible from a competitive standpoint. I'm willing to bet money that even Sakurai wouldn't deny this.
Nintendo sort of slapped MLG in the face by doing that, and this whole community. Nintendo are idiots. Nintendo could have atleast warned MLG when they considered taking it into the pro circuit.
MLG seems to have realized that Brawl isn't what they thought it would be though, which is good, it means that they might bring Melee back.

BTW, Alpha please, don't close this, because it is about melee coming back to the MLG pro circuit.
TC: You should tell them that many qualified pros agrees that Brawl is terrible when compared to Melee (like m2k)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
@person701, since others posted before I finished typing this: I hope so :)

The thing is, not everybody in the Melee "community" actually GOES (hence allowing MLG to profit) to these tournaments. In fact, probably only a very small percentage of even the Smashboards Community goes. I would bet that nearly all, if not all, of the people who still actively play melee and use the melee boards would be excited to hear that MLG sponsors melee again, but most of those people wouldn't actually participate.

For most people, it might be as simple as "I'm just not at the 'pro' level yet" or even "I don't have a ride/place to stay there. This doesn't mean that they don't support Melee's return. They will instead simply watch the videos after the tournament (on youtube) rather than go to the tournament itself. I do, however, think that MLG should bring Melee back and at least publicize its possibility in the future. A lot of people just don't realize that it could be part of the circuit again, or they have moved on to playing Brawl ONLY because they are not "years behind" the current pros anymore or because they know that there WILL be (sponsored) Brawl tournies, and they want to be where the money/winnings are.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Nothing groundbreaking will be discovered in Brawl. Stop being unrealistic and stupid, people.
MLG probably just thought that Brawl would be something completely different then it turned out to be. They thought it would be some sort of upgrade or would atleast follow the same formula, which it really didn't because Nintendo tried to make the game terrible from a competitive standpoint. I'm willing to bet money that even Sakurai wouldn't deny this.
Nintendo sort of slapped MLG in the face by doing that, and this whole community. Nintendo are idiots. Nintendo could have atleast warned MLG when they considered taking it into the pro circuit.
MLG seems to have realized that Brawl isn't what they thought it would be though, which is good, it means that they might bring Melee back.

BTW, Alpha please, don't close this, because it is about melee coming back to the MLG pro circuit.
TC: You should tell them that many qualified pros agrees that Brawl is terrible when compared to Melee (like m2k)
Ya, getting some names to them would be great. Though IMO, I don't think that words comming directly from me would be good enough. If we have a GOOD list around with some of the more known names that'd be an awsome resource. If not, we make one.

@person701, since others posted before I finished typing this: I hope so :)

The thing is, not everybody in the Melee "community" actually GOES (hence allowing MLG to profit) to these tournaments. In fact, probably only a very small percentage of even the Smashboards Community goes. I would bet that nearly all, if not all, of the people who still actively play melee and use the melee boards would be excited to hear that MLG sponsors melee again, but most of those people wouldn't actually participate.

For most people, it might be as simple as "I'm just not at the 'pro' level yet" or even "I don't have a ride/place to stay there. This doesn't mean that they don't support Melee's return. They will instead simply watch the videos after the tournament (on youtube) rather than go to the tournament itself. I do, however, think that MLG should bring Melee back and at least publicize its possibility in the future. A lot of people just don't realize that it could be part of the circuit again, or they have moved on to playing Brawl ONLY because they are not "years behind" the current pros anymore or because they know that there WILL be (sponsored) Brawl tournies, and they want to be where the money/winnings are.
Very true point there. A few of the topics I've been visitng have mad some great posts that are actually decent counters to this though.

And sponsorship, ****, I sponsor Coca Cola! xD

Zodiac

Smash Master
This e-mail was directed to the MLG (Major Leauge Gaming) addressing my following question:

And now that I'm home, I have a responce. I'm not trying to pull any strings or what have you. Believe me or don't.

Responce:

IMO this means two things. They could bring Melee back to the pro circut or they could hold out on us untill some ground breaking tech is discovered in Brawl.
We would all greatly appreciate it you did a follow up email and asked them if there was any chance of melee getting back on the pro circut, since they seem to be well aware that the community doesnt like it.

Also I want to say that if mlg were to put melee back on there pro circut it would for a certainty bring pros and players alike back to melee and going to mlg.

person701

Smash Journeyman
I'll do that. But all in good time. I feel it would greatly shift the e-mail in a moving direction if I sent a list of the sorts above.

Until then I'll get it ready and then save it as a draft. How's this sound:
Thank you for your response. And if it wouldn't be to much a problem to reply back, a few of my friends have a question: They want to know if Super Smash Bros Melee has any major chance of making it back onto the Pro Circuit. I realize some of the things said previously and so do they, but it seems that MLG is fairly clear that Super Smash Bros Brawl hasn't gotten off to a good start and just presents a point of which curiosity has aroused.

Again, thank you for your time and effort.
Anything I should add? I don't want to get TOO demanding. I'll also throw the link in there somewhere when I get said topic running.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Change "A few of my friends " to "Those in the melee and smash community" or something to that effect

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
I would remove "major" and just ask if there is "any chance".
What people consider Major to mean could be different.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
It's nice that they acknowledge that brawl isn't the same as melee just because it's in the same series. It doesn't seem that they've dismissed the first possibility completely.

MassofthePhoenix

Smash Cadet
that would be really great if they brang melee back, I know so many people ( including myself ) who have gotten into melee just within the last couple months, and it's kind of sad feeling we missed the whole pro circuit days of melee, especially since we have been playing/training really hard to get good competitively.

Killress

Smash Ace
that would be really great if they brang melee back, I know so many people ( including myself ) who have gotten into melee just within the last couple months, and it's kind of sad feeling we missed the whole pro circuit days of melee, especially since we have been playing/training really hard to get good competitively.
Brang isn't a word.

It would be amazing if they brought Melee back. I'd be excited to see new pros emerge, and challenge the old ones. And, maybe, I could actually attend a tourny! :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Pretty convenient they left off mentioning that they dropped Melee at the same time Microsoft became a sponsor of MLG.

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
I doubt any tech in Brawl will be groundbreaking enough to kick Melee out for good
Exactly. I don't know if I could be wrong on this...but I think that if there was one they would've found it by now. Enough people are playing on it and studying it. It most likely would've been discovered, but it hasn't, eh? So, in conclusion melee losing its good AT to brawl can't happen

debaser

Smash Lord
I don't see any point in emailing them to persuade them to put it back on

They realize that they're different games and the community is somewhat split right now. It's all a matter of weather the melee continues to grow and hopefully get to the point where mlg will consider bringing it back

Zodiac

Smash Master
Pretty convenient they left off mentioning that they dropped Melee at the same time Microsoft became a sponsor of MLG.
The question is do you think Microsoft would stoop so low as the ban all other non Microsoft associated games from the pro circuit?

person701

Smash Journeyman
The question is do you think Microsoft would stoop so low as the ban all other non Microsoft associated games from the pro circuit?
Hope not <.< Though I wouldn't be suprised if they did. *******s.

Aside, my list is "down." IMO Mic, that was an unfair lock.

And the e-mails aren't to persuade them to bring it back in. They're to show that there are people still in the community that would like to see it(Melee) back up to it's former status. I mean as of now, they could still at least put Melee back in until something(if anything) is discovered in Brawl.

I say something(if anything) because of stuff like WDing and such ATs in Melee and how long it took for us to find them.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Wavedashing and other ATs took forever to find because we weren't looking for them. When Brawl came out, everybody was trying to break it. I don't think there is any real chance of something ground breaking that would change the game overall. People will find more character specific stuff, but that's about it.

Anyway, I'm in the same situation as Mass of the Phoenix. I missed Melee when it was big, and I'd love for them to bring it back.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Do you really think they'd fund people to promote the games of their rival businesses?

Top Bottom