• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... I now hate King DDD

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Chill. Punish his wiffed BairsEAR with yours.

Sorry, the DDD I play never uses Waddle Dee's much. I just dodge, punish with the fire balls.

SUPER GRAB ****ing BREAK

It makes life that much **** easier. SORRY for giving out decent tips monk. Wait, disregard that last post if you insulted me. If so :mad:
The thing is...you're not giving out decent tips...you're giving out bad advice "Punish his whiffed bair with your own" are you kidding me? D3 has more jumps thus more Bairs which also have MORE RANGE

I also have a much simpler solution to avoiding his CG...just run to the edge now this looks like bad advice...but I have tested this quite thoroughly

and yes I was insulting you. Frankly in my opinion...you're an idiot

PKNintendo

Smash Master
The thing is...you're not giving out decent tips...you're giving out bad advice "Punish his whiffed bair with your own" are you kidding me? D3 has more jumps thus more Bairs which also have MORE RANGE

I also have a much simpler solution to avoiding his CG...just run to the edge now this looks like bad advice...but I have tested this quite thoroughly

and yes I was insulting you. Frankly in my opinion...you're an idiot
K.

I was in a good mood, so I was giving it out my tips for my experience. I didn't say they we're good. Hell, I don't even indepth main Mario. Frankly In my opinion, your a...
Nice guy. And you not what a nice guy like you deserves?

K 10 chars

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Besides MK, I think ICs are a hard counter. I know Diddy, TL, and Pika give him trouble. G&W is probably the best choice if you don't wanna go MK tho.

SUPER GRAB ****ing BREAK
Does this work? Do you have any vids or anything?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Thinking back on it now, there was a lot I could've done against DDD that I didn't think of because I felt so hopeless back during the fight. Thinking on it, I could've used Up-B while he was doing his B-air spam. :ohwell:

That's what you get for falling into the opponent's pace...

@Ussi: I considered using Ike, but I wasn't very confident in him since he can be CG'd as well and I'm miles ahead better with Mario than I am with Ike (although for some reason... people say my Ike is a lot harder than my Mario *shrugs*). All the love I gave him in was only in friendlies though... and I won all those fights. :laugh:
You're problem was being unable to reach him because his bair was too long. Therefore go Ike so you outrange his bair and grab range. Then he'll panic and roll into your fsmash. And the crowd goes wild!~~:laugh:

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Personally I main snake and second DDD. I've also played ThatGuy's (Joel) mario on multiple occasions. The thing about it is... you have to play smart. Play to punish his mistakes and do whatever you can to not get grabbed. Bad DDDs very often go for almost nothing but grabs, you can use this to your advantage, if you are smart enough to not get grabbed, he will be the one feeling hopeless.

A few tips:
1) Do not attack his shield, ever. I know this is hard to do, but if you attack his shield, generally you will get grabbed.
2) Playing ThatGuy I know that Mario vs DDD can be pretty obnoxious for both sides. Mario spamming retreating SH fireballs makes it impossible for DDD to approach with a grab, forcing him to do other things, usually camping. This can turn into a camp fest which can be a problem. If you're not a patient person, just make sure your approaches are safe.
3) I don't know if you knew this but you can Cape DDD's upB. This can lead to an early kill if properly placed.

You can be as much of a campy pain in the *** as DDD. Don't get frustrated, keep your cool, and play smart.

EDIT: Do not go ike vs DDD lol. Mario has a better shot IMO. The hardest counter for DDD is MK. DDD has no answers to intelligent tornado spamming. G&W does fairly well. Personally I hate olimar, but maybe that's just me. Marth goes about even. Also, you say the DDD player wasnt that good. But the timing for an inescapable chain grab on marth is pretty tough (your friend should be able to upB out of it fairly easilly).

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Personally I main snake and second DDD. I've also played ThatGuy's (Joel) mario on multiple occasions. The thing about it is... you have to play smart. Play to punish his mistakes and do whatever you can to not get grabbed. Bad DDDs very often go for almost nothing but grabs, you can use this to your advantage, if you are smart enough to not get grabbed, he will be the one feeling hopeless.

A few tips:
1) Do not attack his shield, ever. I know this is hard to do, but if you attack his shield, generally you will get grabbed.
2) Playing ThatGuy I know that Mario vs DDD can be pretty obnoxious for both sides. Mario spamming retreating SH fireballs makes it impossible for DDD to approach with a grab, forcing him to do other things, usually camping. This can turn into a camp fest which can be a problem. If you're not a patient person, just make sure your approaches are safe.
3) I don't know if you knew this but you can Cape DDD's upB. This can lead to an early kill if properly placed.

You can be as much of a campy pain in the *** as DDD. Don't get frustrated, keep your cool, and play smart.

EDIT: Do not go ike vs DDD lol. Mario has a better shot IMO. The hardest counter for DDD is MK. DDD has no answers to intelligent tornado spamming. G&W does fairly well. Personally I hate olimar, but maybe that's just me. Marth goes about even. Also, you say the DDD player wasnt that good. But the timing for an inescapable chain grab on marth is pretty tough (your friend should be able to upB out of it fairly easilly).
FLUDD also goes through all of DDD's moves and makes it difficult for him to approach, but most people don't think of using it when they should.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Eh, just FLUDD him off the stage and edgeguard, so he can't grab. If he stands closer, just throw cross-up moves.

Better yet, Full Hop Fireball from a range until he gets hit by one, and don't approach, since you're up by percentage. Force him to approach, and then outplay him.

Or just run up to him and spot dodge, then jab, lol.

Also, use more cross-up techniques.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Eh, just FLUDD him off the stage and edgeguard, so he can't grab. If he stands closer, just throw cross-up moves.

Better yet, Full Hop Fireball from a range until he gets hit by one, and don't approach, since you're up by percentage. Force him to approach, and then outplay him.

Or just run up to him and spot dodge, then jab, lol.

Also, use more cross-up techniques.
I like your advice...except for the running up and spotdodging, that's kinda dangerous, lol.

The Pink Mist

Smash Rookie
Now this is a horrible situation but lets not blame D3 here, its stupid players who do thaat and ruin the games integrity. There are certain players that I've played int ournaments who will do stupid **** like that and frankly just try and ruin the experience, you just have to have faith that it wont happen to you. people who do that suck, yes they are trying to use their full advantage to win, but come on put your best foot foward and try to show other ways to do it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Now this is a horrible situation but lets not blame D3 here, its stupid players who do thaat and ruin the games integrity. There are certain players that I've played int ournaments who will do stupid **** like that and frankly just try and ruin the experience, you just have to have faith that it wont happen to you. people who do that suck, yes they are trying to use their full advantage to win, but come on put your best foot foward and try to show other ways to do it.
No, you're stupid. One for bumping a thread that had died and had no reason to be brought back to life, and also because while I think that CGs should be limited, it doesn't make the player stupid to use them. Chain grabbing is useful and it's a major part of D3s game.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
D3 is very heavy if he hits the ground from the air he reaaaaally lags.
D-Throw and U-Air are very effective at comboing and getting grabs. D-Tilt can be used situationally.
On the ground Mario has F-tilt it works well against Grabs D-Angled can work because D3 attacks low.
Because D3 is so big after a few hits Dash attack will hit under his shield.
F-air is very effective against D3 at 55-75% percents.
When D3 is in the air and F-air knocks him back to the ground past 60% he lags a long time, making it possible to Fastfalled F-air -> D-smash.
U-air can get grabs at low percents.
D-Throw->U-air->U-air->Grab or D-Throw->B-air->U-air->Grab can work at low percents.
D-Throw leads into repeated U-tilts also. D-throw->N-air->Punch->Grab can work also.
F-throw can also create openings at low percents.
F-smash has high enough priority to be used at low percents.
Caping D3 before touching the ground can really cause him to lag.

B-air Dashing into a walking Grab and N-air to B-air dash away can work as approach.
D-smash and U-smash only works when D3 is lagging and F-smash works better in most situations.
Wall of Pain B-airs work on D3 by making go into the air where his landing lag becomes a factor.
B-air cancels all Wadle Dees except the Spiked one.
Wall of Pain B-airs makes it easier to B-air dash into a walking grab.

So Against D3

Full jump Fireballs are harder for D3 to stop.
Dash Attack reaches under shield after a few hits.
Low vertical knockback moves cause high lag.(high landing lag)
(Fireballs,Cape,Punches,F-air (bounce D3 off the ground),end of Dash attack, FLUDD,U-tilt at low percents)
D-Throw, U-tilt and U-Air combo effectively.
F-Smash and F-tilt have good range and Priority.
F-Throw and F-air can create openings for combos.
Short Hop Reverse U-air and Short Hop Cape -> N-air are best for approach
Moves that bounce D3 off the ground cause him to lag from high weight.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I actually found a way to combat against DDD. If he doesn't come up next on Boss' match-up thread, I'll make a new topic about it.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
D3 is very heavy if he hits the ground from the air he reaaaaally lags.
D-Throw and U-Air are very effective at comboing and getting grabs. D-Tilt can be used situationally.
On the ground Mario has F-tilt it works well against Grabs D-Angled can work because D3 attacks low.
Because D3 is so big after a few hits Dash attack will hit under his shield.
F-air is very effective against D3 at 55-75% percents.
When D3 is in the air and F-air knocks him back to the ground past 60% he lags a long time, making it possible to Fastfalled F-air -> D-smash.

U-air can get grabs at low percents.
D-Throw->U-air->U-air->Grab or D-Throw->B-air->U-air->Grab can work at low percents.
D-Throw leads into repeated U-tilts also. D-throw->N-air->Punch->Grab can work also.
F-throw can also create openings at low percents.
F-smash has high enough priority to be used at low percents.
Caping D3 before touching the ground can really cause him to lag.

B-air Dashing into a walking Grab and N-air to B-air dash away can work as approach.
D-smash and U-smash only works when D3 is lagging and F-smash works better in most situations.
Wall of Pain B-airs work on D3 by making go into the air where his landing lag becomes a factor.
B-air cancels all Wadle Dees except the Spiked one.
Wall of Pain B-airs makes it easier to B-air dash into a walking grab.

So Against D3

Full jump Fireballs are harder for D3 to stop.
Dash Attack reaches under shield after a few hits.
Low vertical knockback moves cause high lag.(high landing lag)
(Fireballs,Cape,Punches,F-air (bounce D3 off the ground),end of Dash attack, FLUDD,U-tilt at low percents)
D-Throw, U-tilt and U-Air combo effectively.
F-Smash and F-tilt have good range and Priority.
F-Throw and F-air can create openings for combos.
Short Hop Reverse U-air and Short Hop Cape -> N-air are best for approach
Moves that bounce D3 off the ground cause him to lag from high weight.
Agreed with Matador.

What? Your saying using a Fair on D3? Your kidding right? Marios fair is garbage and shouldn't be even used on stage and even offstage because D3's gimping ablilties. Dsmash/Upsmash mostly rack up damage but can still kill sometimes stale. Fsmash should be always fresh for kills.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
U-smash and D-smash are usually too close to D3 if he power-shields its an easy grab. F-smash hits without getting into grab range.

If Short Hop Fastfalled F-air can hit D3 in the air past 60% it can cause him to lag enough to D-smash or grab him. If F-air hits him on the ground or when he doesn't have enough damage it can lead to a grab. If D3 spams B-air Mario can Reverse U-air or F-air with good spacing.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I've played a DeDeDe like this before; generally not acquainted with close combat, he relies on spamming and chaingrabs. I was ROB, and I won by beating the snot out of him and occasionally when I had a % advantage I just stayed back and relaxed.

A few tricks.

Jump in, airdodge and d-smash with good spacing.

Roll past whatever stupid spam he's predictably going to do. (he can't chaingrab you off the edge)

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
He wasn't ICG'd, he was regular chaingrabbed.

D3 can't generally kill with the chaingrab, so clearly he was good enough to hit you with a killing move / edgeguard. Don't understate his achievement. He beat you fairly, using the tools his character provided. Pure and simple, no johns.

if you were getting grabbed at every approach, clearly you weren't spacing correctly.
Hmm if only you truly mained mario. If only if only....

Seriously, ddd cgs destroy mario. Its so ridiculous, even my friend who mains a ddd stopped using those cgs out of respect because our matches ended to quick.

But hey man maybe your right, if you truly main mario or use him, then go for it. Go against a decent ddd and prove that his cgs are fair by recording the match. It will definitely help out most of us forreal. After reading the match up thread, I think I'll take monks verdict and go for the edge game. Maybe fireball retreating maybe the best possible tactic in combination in using edgecamping techniques...

Top Bottom