• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so i found the means to record myself

Levitas

the moon
Get that short-hop down, and learn how to land outside your opponent's grab range before they learn to shield-grab you.

Also, opening PK flash might work against people who don't play, but don't do it ever. It will get you hit hard if there isn't some kind of absurd setup going on (there never is)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Pretty cool. But save your second jump for recovering. Don't always just come back with PKT2.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
i also need to play better competitors, or at least forcefully educate those that i have

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I dont have the time to watch all of the videos atm, only the first one.

First off I loved the pkt2 at 1:49 after luigis botched recovery lol.

Second, early in the first video :22 about you were trying to use Dair after luigi popped you into the air. IDK about other ness's but I find that using Dair defensively (Defensive since you are trying to get back on stage at this point and your opponent is trying to pop you back up into the air) doesn't work like that. It's better to punish dodging, and more of an approach for myself.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
PK Fire can be risky when you use it right next to an opponent. If you did hit with PKF, I would dtilt or fsmash. You landed some close PKFs, but you grabbed instead of any of those. That's fine though, grab after PKF is the most reliable. The others give more damage. Also don't use your bthrow at low percents, you gotta keep it fresh so it can kill easier.
I also wouldn't use dair in the the middle of some aerial combos, keep using quick moves so your opponent can't attack/airdodge out of the combo.
And good use of PKT2. :)

I didn't see any jabs or tilts, although Ness's jabs/tilts aren't anything special, but you should use them.
Utilt sets up aerial combos and can follow up by itself at low %. Also has a wierd disjointed hitbox.
Ftilt is an average get away from me move, but it can kill at 150% when its tilted up.
Dtilt is pretty mindgamey, has lots of follow ups, and racks up damage like crazy. Can't forget the dtilt fsmash combo! :D

Uffe

Smash Hero
I have no idea how you guys d-tilt > f-smash. I usually do something different since I want to get my attacks in quick.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
wow that's good quality, what means did you use to record such
ask mistoroboto

PK Fire can be risky when you use it right next to an opponent. If you did hit with PKF, I would dtilt or fsmash. You landed some close PKFs, but you grabbed instead of any of those. That's fine though, grab after PKF is the most reliable. The others give more damage. Also don't use your bthrow at low percents, you gotta keep it fresh so it can kill easier.
I also wouldn't use dair in the the middle of some aerial combos, keep using quick moves so your opponent can't attack/airdodge out of the combo.
And good use of PKT2. :)

I didn't see any jabs or tilts, although Ness's jabs/tilts aren't anything special, but you should use them.
Utilt sets up aerial combos and can follow up by itself at low %. Also has a wierd disjointed hitbox.
Ftilt is an average get away from me move, but it can kill at 150% when its tilted up.
Dtilt is pretty mindgamey, has lots of follow ups, and racks up damage like crazy. Can't forget the dtilt fsmash combo! :D
i love dtilt to fsmash, but only in certain situations; i normally dont trust dtilt to trip my opponent

and yeah, i tend to grab because i normally expect my opponents to DI out of the flame pillar

---
and yeah guys most of the dumber stuff i do is just because im fairly certain i can get away with it against my friends

but you know, excuses, excuses

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
You rolled a fair amount in the first half of the match vs. Luigi. Don't do this, as it is precdictable and you can get punished. Don't use PK Fire too much, especially at close range, and save your bthrow until you know you can kill with it.

And you need MOAR NAIR!

mobilisq

Smash Ace
the vid of me vs my girlfriend's dk is how i currently play

the vid vs bmf is actually from december last year, and i knew i rolled too much then. old habits from smash 64, man, they sure died hard.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
You can... umm... use wireless without a Wavebird? umm... not need to switch controllers? Yeah. That's it.

Actually, i sorta would prefer the flat-topped analog stick, because my Gamecube controller is starting to wear down and if my thumb is sweaty it slips. NOT FUN with pkt2 recoveries. That doesn't happen so much with the nunchuk controller analog stick, which is the same as the classic. Otherwise, the GC controller is far superior.

...actually does anyone know if you can take the rubber part off of a nunchuk and put it on a gamecube controller?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
lol I use the classic controller, its actually EASIER to short hop with it in brawl vs gc controllers. All of the buttons require less input to register. And it doesn't hurt to get used to it especially cause once all the gc controllers run out people are going to have to lol.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I guess people still SH with tap jump? I guess that's fine and all, but I just SH with the buttons and roll my finger to A. I don't really need to SH any of Ness's specials, so that's fine with me.

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
Try setting a shoulder button to jump. It makes it easier (or at least I think), as you just have to push down and slide your finger off it. Also, it lets you double shuffle aerials a bit better, while letting you do the PK Jump.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
lol I use the classic controller, its actually EASIER to short hop with it in brawl vs gc controllers. All of the buttons require less input to register.
this is actually the problem

i got used to the cc because my girlfriend likes the gc controller, and i only have one. now ive come to prefer the orientation of the sticks (helps with my MAN SIZED HANDS) and the fact that the sticks will probably never lose their resiliency, if not take a ****ed long time

the problem is that i tend to use a little bit of pressure on my button presses

great for rapid fire stuff, not so much for pressure sensitive stuff

edit: oh and god no i leave tap jump turned off. another benefit i guess, i dont have to waste time making my own profile all the time. just bring mine with me

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I have tap jump on, but I had no idea you could shorthop with it. I like it because I use it for rising uairs. I don't have problems with uptilts or accidentally double-jumping though.

TRAMD

Smash Cadet
lol I use the classic controller, its actually EASIER to short hop with it in brawl vs gc controllers. All of the buttons require less input to register. And it doesn't hurt to get used to it especially cause once all the gc controllers run out people are going to have to lol.
I have 5 GC controllers in use right now and 3 more in packages because Brawl seems to be pretty hard on controllers. I haven't tried the CC, might have to.

My wife introduced me to Smash when we were dating (why do you think I married her) and I think her Pikachu could take your girlfriend's Ike or DK.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
OH MAN IS THAT A CHALLENGE? lol.

anyways. I also like the placement of the cstick and joystick on the classic controller as well, and when I would play with tap jump on I could short hop with that easily too, idk. The main turn off for smashers about it is the size and that the A is in a different location. IDK which one has more endurance, (probably gc controller, it seems the whole gc could last under much more pressure) but the classic controllers are still good. But I myself am going to have to go ahead and purchase a gc controller off amazon for melee :( my wavebird is ****ing up.

As for the other video(s)
I just watched mobilisqs video against his gfs dk. Seems you're very aggressive in the blue suit, makes sense according to a thread discussing costume colors affecting playstyle since I myself played like that when I tried out blue lol.
I believe everything that can be said has been said already, don't use pk fire so close, though dk's so big I think it was permissible. and I'd say work on yo-yos? Though I saw you mostly in the air in that match so thatd be useless lol.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
its also my favorite ness color, so there probably is something subconscious going on there

Top Bottom