• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS So how 'bout dat Nintendo 2DS?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While Smashboards was down, Nintendo introduced a new Nintendo 3DS model: the Nintendo 2DS.

It should have all the bells and whistles of a regular Nintendo 3DS MINUS the 3D effects or a closeable flap (not to mention very funny shaped). Plus it costs less then a 3DS or 3DS XL. However I don't see how they can get a new Circle Pad Pro for this system (if it will ever get one).

I still have the regular 3DS model and have zero plans on getting a 2DS if my current one breaks but what's your opinion on it and how will it affect Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS?

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
It seems more comfortable than a regular 3DS, but that can be changed if you buy a grip. I like it, but even if my current 3DS broke, I would think of buying a 3DS XL instead of buying this one. Most people who don't have a 3DS yet would probably prefer to waste less money. Also, like you, I see no accesories coming to this console, Nintendo said this was a console for the children, what childish game is so hardcore that it would need such a thing as a second pad.
Smash-related. Nothing. It's still a cheaper option for the people that plan to play the 3DS version but doesn't have a 3DS already.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I wouldn't be surprised if CPP doesn't come to it. It's mainly marketed to the children Nintendo doesn't recommend 3D to.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As my current 3DS is broken, this is looking to be the most appealing solution for me. Don't care for the XL, and disliked the original's low battery life.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Doesn't appeal to me as I already have a working 3DS, and I think it's too big to be considered portable, but I understand its appeal.

Though it would probably render the SM3DL perspective stages unplayable....

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
The 2DS is the Game Boy Pocket of this generation basically. Just got my 3DS last X-mas and it works just fine. Sticking with it.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The reception of the 2DS has been pretty mixed. Was there really that pertinent of a reason for Nintendo to invest into something like this? I still use my entry model 3DS I got back in Christmas 2011 and it works faultlessly. This model comes without the 3D, which makes it a crutch choice for parents with young kids to play without the possibility of turning on 3D, so this can't happen to their precious, developing retinas. The slab of cheese design does look ergonomic. Definitely functions different from the clamshell design we're so used to. Going back to marketing this to kids, the clamshell design can break off the hinges if not handled with properly. Maybe kids just aren't that mindful of taking care of their things. But still, give me a break. My nephew has an XL and the hinges are totally intact! When they get older, will they want to change their model for a model with the 3D and probably better storage capacity as well? It's a 3DS without the 3D! If my 3DS broke, I'd just get an XL. Way to take your selling gimmick out of the system, Nintendo. I don't care if that was the design intent. The 2DS is a watered-down cashgrab just in time to correlate with Pokemon X & Y.​
Now, on the topic of the importance of the 3D functionality, TBH, there really wasn't an importance to begin with. By making a model that completely removes it despite the namesake of the system shows that Nintendo realizes the 3D is not as effective a selling point as they hoped. Gamers now this damn well. Was there any gameplay innovations brought by the introduction of 3D? What, like two or three hidden rooms in Super Mario 3D Land where the platform layout was completely counterable through the 3D switch or a vision block? What about full 3D movies, TV shows, etc.? Is there even Netflix or Hulu? I know there's Nintendo Video, but all the content is meh. Nintendo boasts that they bring in new ways to play, but this gimmick sometimes comes back to bite them in the ass. So, I may be eating my words here, but why would you make the 2DS otherwise without this? If Nintendo or some other developer can make a game that utilizes the 3D at its core to make challenging, innovative gameplay, then you will have made me proud for making something truly unique to the 3DS.​

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Eh, I'll stick to my launch 3DS. Even if I'm unable to actually see the 3D effect, it's got all of my ambassador games on it.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
It seems alright to me. I am still getting the 3DS XL though.

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
This might save Nintendo. Well, just look at Sony. Ps Vita and Ps4 are cross-compatible. That's there only competition.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Why the F#$% doesn't it fold!?!

That screen's gonna get so much dust it aint even funny.
I am seriously interested in it as I just want to be able to play 3DS games because pretty much everyone else on the planet owns a 3DS.
But I don't feel like paying 50 extra bucks for the built in 3D effect that isnt necessary for any games and hurts my F#$%$#$ eyes.
The 2DS seems like an awesome option for people with little B#$%$ eyes like me and toddlers who would go cross eyed from it, but the lack of folding is a deal breaker.

I feel the same way about the Wii U Gamepad. Like, couldn't they make a cheaper one by designing a controller without the NFC scanner thing or camera in it?

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
But I don't feel like paying 50 extra bucks for the built in 3D effect that isnt necessary for any games and hurts my F#$%$#$ eyes.
Well, holding it at a certain angle really makes it pop out, but I'm getting into the habit of playing Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon WITHOUT 3D.:mario2:

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Why the F#$% doesn't it fold!?!
Because little kids break things, and the 2DS is as close to unbreakable as Nintendo can get to.

That screen's gonna get so much dust it aint even funny.
I am seriously interested in it as I just want to be able to play 3DS games because pretty much everyone else on the planet owns a 3DS.
The 2DS seems like an awesome option for people with little B#$%$ eyes like me and toddlers who would go cross eyed from it, but the lack of folding is a deal breaker.
It really isn't marketed to older folks at all. I mean, it looks god awful. And they know it, but they don't care because a little 5 year old doesn't know the difference.

But the 3D effect is definitely worth the money. Having that sense of depth is really fun, especially for games like Super Mario 3D Land that make good use of it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll probably get one when it's price has dropped, am poor as ****.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Agreed about all of this. The $40 off isn't a big enough drop to make me want to buy one. Not only does it not have the 3D, the lack of folding makes the screen more vulnerable and makes it so you can't put it in your pocket. Also, apparently the speakers are worse as well.

No, I'll definitely wait for it to get cheaper.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It just seems a little...clunky. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but the shape is just...off. Although, since I already have a 3DS it isn't a big deal, but still. The shape kind of baffles me, but I'm sure they'll make it not too bad.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
As somebody who's visually impaired and has no use for the 3D feature, I'm hating Nintendo right now for not making this sooner. That's a good amount of money I could have saved on a feature I'll never have any use for in my life.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm going to say it was a smart move by nintendo.

It's awesome for kids, and a nice other choice for older people who don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'm personally not getting it, (especially since I have a 3ds XL on pre-order), but this is very nice.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It just seems a little...clunky. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but the shape is just...off. Although, since I already have a 3DS it isn't a big deal, but still. The shape kind of baffles me, but I'm sure they'll make it not too bad.
So, I guess if I fit a 2DS in my pocket, it would stretch it out?

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
It would only be considered a good move if the (very young) target demographic doesn't actually care about the lack of stereoscopic 3D. I can't say for sure b/c I don't know what the kiddies think (if they even know it's coming), but I can see it working well.
Heck, it could succeed in making this gen's Nintendo handhelds more mainstream (like the GBC back in the day) just because of the price drop.

Blazingskittles423

Smash Rookie
I'm not really a fan. Without hinges, it would break much easier, especially considering that kids under seven aren't necessarily all that careful with stuff. Some may be, I don't know. Besides, I thought it was a troll when I first heard about it.

I just don't think I'll be getting one. I love my 3DS XL too much.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm not really a fan. Without hinges, it would break much easier, especially considering that kids under seven aren't necessarily all that careful with stuff. Some may be, I don't know. Besides, I thought it was a troll when I first heard about it.

How would it break easier? The hinges are the weakest part of the 3DS.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Am I the only person that actually LIKES the 3D effect on the 3DS? >.>

For action games like Kid Icarus it can be hard to deal with but for games that require no movement (such as Fire Emblem Awakening) the 3D effect looks fantastic.

It really is a shame that a large portion of 3DS owners can't even enjoy the effect.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409

For action games like Kid Icarus it can be hard to deal with but for games that require no movement (such as Fire Emblem Awakening) the 3D effect looks fantastic.

It really is a shame that a large portion of 3DS owners can't even enjoy the effect.

I like it. But clearly for Smash it won't be the focal point.

Games like Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, etc. are just fine with it and I love the depth it gives.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
The best part about this is that it is cheap. My little sister wanted a 3ds because there was a Barbie game (or whatever she is into), but I told her it was too expensive. Since I don't need to pay for taxes, food, etc. My money adds up quick and I think I could get enough money for one when she has her birthday, but I hope she doesn't think I'l give her a Christmas gift, because I am also saving up for Japan.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

I like it as well, Kid Icarus was amazing in 3D. Same with Starfox 64 3D, MGS3, ACNL, and much more.

NSMB 2.......not so much. You see, side scrollers can be amazing, but I believe it doesn't at most. SSB has that similar function, so I wouldn't really mess around with the 3D. The backgrounds of each stage could be strikingly significant, but that's just about it. My two cents.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan

dude, I can't turn it off without feeling weird. I'm taking it for granted when playing console games... the perception of depth I gain in things like Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus: Uprising helps more than I thought. I only ever turn it off when I play Ocarina of TIme 3D because the port seems to handle the 3D very strangely

Top Bottom