• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So few Ice Climber mainers?

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen many.
Or is it just that the Ice Climbers aren't popular for competitive play? Fill me in.

K 2

Smash Lord
The IC's are amazing. They have multiple 0-death combos. The problem is, the IC's have a VERY steep learning curve, and until you get past that learning curve, you aren't going to be good. That's why you don't see many IC mainers, they are just so hard to learn (alt grabs, desync, etc) and they are very technical. MK is extremely easy to learn and that's why there are a flurry of MK mains. However, the IC mains you do hear about are amazing.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
^ Eh, don't forget their Squall, it needs precise timing for it to get it very high lulz. :p But I don't think that is why they're hard to learn, Squall just needs the correct timing, and it's impossible to get it right to get it to the highest so that may not need practice. And also.... their combos! 0.0

I'm an IC main, but I see some IC mains around these boards, but they're kinda underrated I guess. And what K_2 said... they're very hard to master. And plus people want to main them because of their CGs, but that's not right, they'll have to learn it later, first desynchs and their basic combats and then the CGs. O.o

KRDsonic

Smash Master
The reason there aren't that many IC mains is because they take a long time to get good with, and most people would rather go for an easier character like Meta Knight or Falco.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised how few IC mainers there are. I think it's because it's hard to master their chain grabs and desynching. And the fact that there are other characters that are easier to get better with faster.

smaci92

Smash Lord
The reason there aren't that many IC mains is because they take a long time to get good with, and most people would rather go for an easier character like Meta Knight or Falco.
^ This. Ice climbers are the hardest characters to master in brawl in my opinion...but once you're good with them, they ****!

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Eh, maybe when they look at the IC videos and try to master them, maybe they tried to give up because they couldn't try mastering desynching and CGing... eh, that's how hard they are to master, but if that person never gives up on learning the techniques, then I guess he/she will learn better. :D

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I think ICs are easier to use than most other characters, but that's just me.

You don't see a lot of ICs mains because most people are lame.

K 2

Smash Lord
^ Eh, don't forget their Squall, it needs precise timing for it to get it very high lulz. :p But I don't think that is why they're hard to learn, Squall just needs the correct timing, and it's impossible to get it right to get it to the highest so that may not need practice. And also.... their combos! 0.0

I'm an IC main, but I see some IC mains around these boards, but they're kinda underrated I guess. And what K_2 said... they're very hard to master. And plus people want to main them because of their CGs, but that's not right, they'll have to learn it later, first desynchs and their basic combats and then the CGs. O.o
How the heck do you get them to gain altitude on their squall? I can never seem to make them go up. I can only make them stay at the same height. Do you have to mash b or do you have to hit b at a precise frame?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Eh, I press the B button lightly and fast, and woah, they go up high like R.O.B's recovery + his jump and about Luigi's Cyclone + Super Jump Punch trick. I know it's hard but I just repeatedly tap B lightly and faster and there, it's very high and you can see how the ICs are a lot separated after the move. But sometimes the timing I do doesn't work, it goes the same length and then after the move, they separate a bit. And then online, online makes Squall even hard to perform.

Or... maybe hit B at a precise frame. And I THINK when you hear the bumping sounds on their Squall, do the precise timing and maybe it will work.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I just started using them after I saw KRDs combo vid. XD
But, Ive gotten better and such.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Too much Metaknight flying around Brawl nowadays. Either that, or you can't pick them up and learn most of their techs in a day.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I think ICs are easier to use than most other characters, but that's just me.

You don't see a lot of ICs mains because most people are lame.
We mained Ice Climbers in Melee. It takes a while for people to get used to the character.

I desynch fluently, and was able to discover all the
useful
chaingrabs within 2 hours in training mode right after I got the game. For me, it was simple, but that's just because I mained IC's in melee for a long time before that.

But yeah, there are harder characters to master... mostly because you have to look below the surface to find their most effective play style. Peach, Fox, Toon Link, and others... for them it's all in the strategy, and IMO that takes much longer to master than simple brickwalls strategies like IC's blizzard/cg style or Snake's nade camping.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
bringing ICs to a tourney can be fun because most people aren't prepared for them. its funny watching them flail around on their controller when you get them in an Ice Block Lock.

K 2

Smash Lord
bringing ICs to a tourney can be fun because most people aren't prepared for them. its funny watching them flail around on their controller when you get them in an Ice Block Lock.
lol. Or as they helplessly try to mash out of an alt grab. =P

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
3...2...1... GO!

(Waits 10 seconds)

The winner is Captain Falcon!

Pretty much the learning curve is high and people don't want to work their *** off to main ICs, so that's why they pick MK. It's also a saying that lazy people make the world advanced more. =D

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
3...2...1... GO!

(Waits 10 seconds)

The winner is Captain Falcon!

Pretty much the learning curve is high and people don't want to work their *** off to main ICs, so that's why they pick MK. It's also a saying that lazy people make the world advanced more. =D
you ever seen the movie Idiocracy? thats essentially the message of the entire movie.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Nope, I like never watch movies. Last time I watched a movie was a year ago (I have no life) xD

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Lol, it is fun seeing all the post saying that it was posted yesterday.

Well yeah... its funny hearing about odd things.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
some people, like in melee pick up ic to learn to be gay w/ grabs. they go to a tourney, realize people can space and f*ck nana up and realize "hey, its not that simple".

such is the story of alot of ic players.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
some people, like in melee pick up ic to learn to be gay w/ grabs. they go to a tourney, realize people can space and f*ck nana up and realize "hey, its not that simple".

such is the story of alot of stupid payers who wanna be hot ****.
there. i fix'd it for you. >_>

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I know why there aren't that many.......they're boring. Characters that are based around their grab game are almost always only for competitive players...........there is no such thing as Icies in friendlies and so most people don't enjoy them like competitive players do.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I know why there aren't that many.......they're boring. Characters that are based around their grab game are almost always only for competitive players...........there is no such thing as Icies in friendlies and so most people don't enjoy them like competitive players do.
*cough*

1. i don't use cgs

2. i ALWAYS use ics in friendlies.

3. they are the funnest characters to play with, hands down. body guarding and watching your opponent flip out because their projectile attack got canceled out by an ice block is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world.

smaci92

Smash Lord
1. They're not boring...Know what your talking about before you say anything.
2. They aren't based on their grab game. You obviously don't know anything about Ice Climbers if you think that it's all about the grabs...
3. We all use Ice Climbers in friendlies all the time...
4. everything FrozenPopo said above me...
5. Don't come back to the IC boards until you know your stuff---"Ice Climber hater"...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You're an idiot. Go back to spamming Din's please. ^__^.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman

i kind of agree.
i'm not trying to start a fight, but if you're good with the ICs, you'll know that they're not very good. they don't have many matchups strongly in their favor. the only thing they have that's advantagous for them are grabs. i KNOW IC play is not solely based on grabs, but they seem very limitted in terms of HOW they can be played. i main them and probably always will, but i have alot more fun as other characters because it makes the game alot faster. ICs are just slower paced.

again, don't want to start a fight. i love the IC :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
A lot of people don't MAIN IC's, but I have them as a sort of back up character. I rarely use them just because I like using Wario more and I do perfect with going all Wario in tourneys, but I know of some people that have them as secondaries or backup.

I never get a chance to use them in friendlies locally. It is of the opinion of the locals that IC's are cheap with CG's and quite a few people I know will refuse to play me if I try to pick them in friendlies. That is part of the problem I think about why people don't main them; u still get flack from people for picking them and using CG's.

lordterken

Smash Cadet
I trying to make Ice climbers my best but i'm torn to be Wario to. PS. IC are cute

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
A lot of people don't MAIN IC's, but I have them as a sort of back up character. I rarely use them just because I like using Wario more and I do perfect with going all Wario in tourneys, but I know of some people that have them as secondaries or backup.

I never get a chance to use them in friendlies locally. It is of the opinion of the locals that IC's are cheap with CG's and quite a few people I know will refuse to play me if I try to pick them in friendlies. That is part of the problem I think about why people don't main them; u still get flack from people for picking them and using CG's.
uh, i happen to main them.... i bring them out as my starter and i wipe the floor with them, and i don't even use cgs.

just because you generalize about people doesn't make you right.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
uh, i happen to main them.... i bring them out as my starter and i wipe the floor with them, and i don't even use cgs.

just because you generalize about people doesn't make you right.
Lolwut? My post wasn't an insult or a generalization. I just said that I use them as a secondary sometimes and that I would use them more if I did not enjoy using Wario a tad more. I was also pointing out that quite a few people I know have them as secondaries, even though they aren't true "mains" of the IC's.

Now as far as the CG's are concerned, I said the locals in my area hate the IC's CG's and they refuse to play against me if I pick them, even in friendlies. I never said that I thought they were cheap, or that IC mains have to rely on them to win, I just gave a reason why some people won't play as them because others around will whine and complain about it.

I still don't know how you saw my post as offensive lol, but I hope I cleared it up. :)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm as confused as you, lolz.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
People whine to much when you pick them and they are very hard to use. I dunno, we haven't seen someone bring out the beast in them yet. Maybe 1 or 3 people :3?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Lolwut? My post wasn't an insult or a generalization. I just said that I use them as a secondary sometimes and that I would use them more if I did not enjoy using Wario a tad more. I was also pointing out that quite a few people I know have them as secondaries, even though they aren't true "mains" of the IC's.

Now as far as the CG's are concerned, I said the locals in my area hate the IC's CG's and they refuse to play against me if I pick them, even in friendlies. I never said that I thought they were cheap, or that IC mains have to rely on them to win, I just gave a reason why some people won't play as them because others around will whine and complain about it.

I still don't know how you saw my post as offensive lol, but I hope I cleared it up. :)
your first sentence is what annoyed me. 'nobody MAINS the ICs, they just use them as a backup' thing. i think plenty of people use them as there mains outside of tourneys (enough at least that so many people have them as their primary.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I wasn't saying no one mains them, I was just saying that there are plenty of people I know that have them as secondaries instead of mains. Kinda like if someone made a "So few Wario mains?" thread, It's true that most people don't main him or the IC's, but plenty of people have him as a secondary IMO. That was the link I was trying to establish, not trying to detract from the IC mains out there.

Top Bottom