• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... Do we only have the five DLC fighters left for Smash Ultimate?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
This isn't something I'd love to expect, but I'm worried we might only have the five DLC characters for Smash Ultimate left.

ugh.png

Plus "all packs will be released by Feb 2020". Obviously this could just be being too literal with one website thing; the Pirahna Plant seems to not be included in this despite being DLC. But we seem to be getting the five set characters up until 2020:
ugh2.png

So unless there's some kind of marketable exception like the Pirahna Plant, that could be it for essentially the first year, and that's not too bad actually. Similar to Smash 4 that had 7 characters all released around a year after the game release, 3 of which were existing characters. Here we have six totally unique characters (including Pirahna) within a similar amount of time.
What's worrying though, is the Rex costume.
Dq7eA3FU4AEsMiU.jpg

Sakurai says "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning had started."
I'm not sure if he's just talking about the base character roster and why he couldn't be a base character, or the five DLC characters (thus them also being planned from 2015, which would narrow down the potential choices for DLC even more) and why he couldn't be one of those. But it begs the question, did they intentionally stray away from developing him as a unique character because they had a fixed number of around 5 characters they were going to make for DLC, and by being relevant after the 2015 planning period including DLC they could only make him a Mii costume?
b2d0bebcfc0d882f44eb684b5c6f31f8f2a5e8b0r1-1920-1080v2_hq.jpg

Plus the stage layout. Five stages are coming in the DLC and there's still the weird, uncentered room left for just one more stage than that.
ugh2.png

And this may be being too literal as well, but when reaffirming the year timespan, they say "all the DLC", so whilst not including Pirahna in this context, should we be worried? They could totally do this as "Year one" for DLC but, I wonder if they'll only go a year into it like the case with Smash 4.

If so, we might just have the five characters and a marketable exception like Pirahna for the foreseeable future of Smash.

But hey, they could just be testing the water on how "year one" DLC sells before making anymore, compared to the smaller(?) monetary audience for Smash 4 which was also near the end of the Wii U's lifespan. That'd be smart business-wise, to not start work on MORE DLC before the first batch is even considered successful.

Out of the five characters, we can assume from Vergeben's information of a supposed Square Enix character, that maybe that's one of them. He's also mentioned Minecraft being in the game in some form which we've yet to see, and considering his track record with this Smash game, maybe both of these things are DLC-related, there's still a Minecraft boss we haven't seen or something in the base game, or they decided to scrap Minecraft stuff at some point in development. Not to mention wasnt there some VGA thing with a character announcement rumoured?

1. SE character
2. ?Minecraft character?
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???

Last edited:

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
This isn't something I'd love to expect, but I'm worried we might only have the five DLC characters for Smash Ultimate left.

View attachment 174589
Plus "all packs will be released by Feb 2020". Obviously this could just be being too literal with one website thing; the Pirahna Plant seems to not be included in this despite being DLC. But we seem to be getting the five set characters up until 2020:
View attachment 174595
So unless there's some kind of marketable exception like the Pirahna Plant, that could be it for essentially the first year, and that's not too bad actually. Similar to Smash 4 that had 7 characters all released around a year after the game release, 3 of which were existing characters. Here we have six totally unique characters (including Pirahna) within a similar amount of time.
What's worrying though, is the Rex costume.
View attachment 174604
Sakurai says "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning had started."
I'm not sure if he's just talking about the base character roster and why he couldn't be a base character, or the five DLC characters (thus them also being planned from 2015, which would narrow down the potential choices for DLC even more) and why he couldn't be one of those. But it begs the question, did they intentionally stray away from developing him as a unique character because they had a fixed number of around 5 characters they were going to make for DLC, and by being relevant after the 2015 planning period including DLC they could only make him a Mii costume?
View attachment 174605
Plus the stage layout. Five stages are coming in the DLC and there's still the weird, uncentered room left for just one more stage than that.
View attachment 174609
And this may be being too literal as well, but when reaffirming the year timespan, they say "all the DLC", so whilst not including Pirahna in this context, should we be worried? They could totally do this as "Year one" for DLC but, I wonder if they'll only go a year into it like the case with Smash 4.

If so, we might just have the five characters and a marketable exception like Pirahna for the foreseeable future of Smash.

But hey, they could just be testing the water on how "year one" DLC sells before making anymore, compared to the smaller(?) monetary audience for Smash 4 which was also near the end of the Wii U's lifespan. That'd be smart business-wise, to not start work on MORE DLC before the first batch is even considered successful.

Out of the five characters, we can assume from Vergeben's information of a supposed Square Enix character, that maybe that's one of them. He's also mentioned Minecraft being in the game in some form which we've yet to see, and considering his track record with this Smash game, maybe both of these things are DLC-related, there's still a Minecraft boss we haven't seen or something in the base game, or they decided to scrap Minecraft stuff at some point in development. Not to mention wasnt there some VGA thing with a character announcement rumoured?

1. SE character
2. ?Minecraft character?
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
it does seem that way, as of now. personally, i'm not really trusting any leakers, so i can't speak on what i think the 5 DLC fighters will be.
also! piranha plant will have its own stage and music, which, with the 5 other character packs, will fill up the stage select. there could be a surprise announcement of more DLC packs later, but i really wouldn't keep your hopes up - the team said not to expect many more fighters, and i wouldn't be surprised if that carries over to the DLC as well. i could be wrong though!

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
it does seem that way, as of now. personally, i'm not really trusting any leakers, so i can't speak on what i think the 5 DLC fighters will be.
also! piranha plant will have its own stage and music, which, with the 5 other character packs, will fill up the stage select. there could be a surprise announcement of more DLC packs later, but i really wouldn't keep your hopes up - the team said not to expect many more fighters, and i wouldn't be surprised if that carries over to the DLC as well. i could be wrong though!
Where did it say anywhere that we're getting a stage with the Pirahna Plant fighter? Maybe that'd be mentioned by now or in the direct.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
What you also have to take into consideration is that the 3DS and the WiiU are near or at the end of their life cycle. The Switch, meanwhile, is still relatively young on the scene. Combined with the current Nintendo President's sentiment on more First Party games and more DLC for those games, it is entirely possible (though unconfirmed), that we could get a second DLC pass.

...I mean- Heck, look at what those crazy people at Bandai Namco are currently doing with Dragonball Xenoverse 2. They already have more DLC out than what the initial Season Pass covered.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Did Sakurai stutter? He said five DLC fighters + five DLC stages + Piranha Plant.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
There is the possibility of more than 5 fighters being included via another Fighter Pack, considering how popular the Smash series is.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
i never did fact check it, but i found it in this tweet!
That source doesn't mention Pirahna Plant stage/songs. A screencap of the page in a tweet reply shows it mentioning those though. Maybe that was an error, or a cover up of leaked information that wasn't supposed to come out yet.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I think the stage select has a clue for us. Namely there's 6 spaces, enough for the 5 remaining stage and a NEXT button.

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
That source doesn't mention Pirahna Plant stage/songs. A screencap of the page in a tweet reply shows it mentioning those though. Maybe that was an error, or a cover up of leaked information that wasn't supposed to come out yet.
just looked around, right you are! time will tell, i suppose.

StormC

Smash Hero
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a second wave, especially one that magically reflects fan wishes.

Assume this is all that remains of Smash for the foreseeable future.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai is known for going back on his word and doing things he said he wouldn't.
Yes. He is but he hasn't done that to the same Smash game. He changes his mind in the next Smash game.

For example, Sakurai said no to Villager in Brawl. He changed his mind in SSB4, but not in Brawl.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
5 characters is enough. Heck, the roster is so huge already, it really doesn't need 5 characters.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
You might want to add Katalina from Granblue Fantasy to the third spot and it's not just Vergeben claiming that one.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think there will probably be 3 to 4 seaons of DLC

At least 2 at best 4, this system ain't going nowhere for a minute and if Smash 4 got multiple installments so can this game.

Even if say season 2 has echoes or whatever, I just can't see this game having one season of DLC.

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
in my opinion, I want sakurai to go to a nice big farm and take his vacation and let someone else take the reigns for a while and they promptly milk this game for waaaay more than it's worth, 5 dlc characters is so underwhelming when you consider the fact that echoes are a thing, I want to see the roster to break 80, I also think that promotion dlc could happen if there is enough outcry for it (just be respectful about it).

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It seems like Katalina from Granblue Fantasy seems likely as one of the 5 too. Not too happy about that. That leaves two spots if the Samurai Showdown leaker is right.

I'm willing to bet one of the other two is a Bethesda character due to them talking to Nintendo about it. Although nothing could have came out of it, but it seems likely that they could snag a DLC spot since they have charaters that would sell well.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
As pessimistic that I may have become; I think there WILL be more seasons. That DLC statement Nintendo recently made makes me feel relatively confident in saying this.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
There's no reason for there not to be, although I expect lengthy breaks between seasons for the team to relax and/or work on other things.

However, Smash likes to disappoint. For now, we know of 5 more for sure. Let's assume, until further notice, that we're only getting the singular season.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't know what else their time would be better spent on than churning out Smash DLC. I would be confused (but not surprised, because Nintendo), if they stopped making DLC after the first five.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
We could get a free echo or two. But Sakurai is normally good on his word so I probably could only see five unique characters.

With enough push we could get a twilight princess Link, and a three sacred treasures Pit, (brawl pit) for their old play styles of these characters like how Dr Mario is melee Mario

Last edited:

Judd

Smash Rookie
I really hope they will work on adding Echo Fighters like Octoling, Medusa, Tom Nook, Black Shadow etc if there isn't a second season of unique characters which would be understandable

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
with the DLC we will have 80 characters, matching the commonly assumed max number many thought this game would reach.

I mean this isn't League of Legends now.

cybersai

Smash Ace
There's a very, very small chance of a season second of 5 more reps only assuming:

1. The DLC sells EXTREMELY well

2. Sakurai wants to stay on. But given how exhausted he looks and everything he says, he seems to really want a break from Smash.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Wtf video game design is Sakurai’s job. When i finish something at my job i dont “go away for a break” he works monday to friday like anyone else.

If nintendo was smart they would tell their employees to churn out as much content for this cash cow as they could. Even if sakurai moves onto other projects, nintendo could easily tell a group of its employees to work on smash dlc full time.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
There's a very, very small chance of a season second of 5 more reps only assuming:

1. The DLC sells EXTREMELY well

2. Sakurai wants to stay on. But given how exhausted he looks and everything he says, he seems to really want a break from Smash.
Idgaf if Sakurai works on the DLC.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Speaking of Sakurai and work..... if he were to chose a torchbearer to handle Smash Bro's development for the future; who would you nominate to continue the legacy?

Top Bottom