• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So do the lack of threads here mean pikachu is not as popular anymore?

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
Actually pikachu looks like a great character to choose this time because as T0mmy said, Pichu evolved into a pikachu (yay!). I always really liked pika's costumes and pichu's attacks. Maybe people just aren't posting as much because they're interested in other characters like meta knight?

Sorry I don't know much about pika because i'm just a kirby main, but i think people need to appreciate pikachu more ^_^.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Its just that Pikachu's following (due to how horrendous Melee made him) waned a bit, so he lacks the insta-follow Fox's ilk gives, but also isn't new. I've always mained him, and always will. However there isn't much that needs saying about him.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Pikachu is cool but I am interested in the new "cooler" characters.

Diddy, Sonic, Snake to name a few.

Pika is old news ;P

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
No way, Pikachu can never be old news.

I actually like his buffs and his final smash, despite what people may say. All his smash attacks seem to have better killing potentials, especially the down smash. I heard the up smash got nerfed but still works the same way as in Melee. And Pikachu got more range and less lag time on his attacks, like Thunder. And his final smash should be able to get off at least a kill if used properly.

Pikachu forever!

SaxyPlayah

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu is my first love....i can never replace him, lol.

Ive never really mained pikachu. Hes just my best character, i dont use him a whole lot though. I believe that pikachu still has its popularity (Ash hasnt gotten a new partner yet as his pokemon tag along) so yeah, i guess people are just so caught up with the new characters being in brawl that they leave pikachu in their lost, forgotten memories.....:(

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Though I still use Pikachu, I think he was slowed down in Melee so... Meh...

However, if he gets a speed boost in Brawl along the lines of his 64 Smash configuration... That'd be cool.

But I like Pikachu. In Melee, his forward smash is quick, has range, and on the safe side. He has the back flip up smash I LOVE, and who else has a projectile that runs down edges? I'll use him in Brawl but if I want speed I lean towards Sheik, Falco, and Fox... :/ And soon, Sonic.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's because Pikachu is nothing new to the SSB series. People tend to get excited more easily about new characters, and especially the addition of characters never seen before in Smash at all really cracks people up. Pikachu is just old stuff to them.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
It may also be that Pikachu is old news when it comes to the Pokemon series in SSB. He's been in since the beginning, and in terms of the Pokemon universe, I see a lot more hype about Pokemon Trainer (mostly because of the 3-Pokemon use) and if Mewtwo is out (which I won't debate.) Also, we really haven't received anything new about Pikachu since his Final Smash.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
It's because Pikachu is nothing new to the SSB series. People tend to get excited more easily about new characters, and especially the addition of characters never seen before in Smash at all really cracks people up. Pikachu is just old stuff to them.
Well said. For those of us who strongly anticipate the return of the almighty rAt (Pika, not me), we mostly know what to expect so there isn't a whole lot to discuss.

Also, one should also consider that most of the threads in the character specific forums are completely redundant and contain the same information and discussions.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Well said. For those of us who strongly anticipate the return of the almighty rAt (Pika, not me), we mostly know what to expect so there isn't a whole lot to discuss.

Also, one should also consider that most of the threads in the character specific forums are completely redundant and contain the same information and discussions.
QFTx2

Not to mention, Pika is a balanced character. Balanced characters are never hyped. He doesn't have anything that brings him over the top like Oli or SS.

PokemonLegacy

Smash Apprentice
People probably don't see as much in Pikachu (Or any Pokemon for that matter) is under-appreciated is because of the anime. Just read Wikipedia's page on Pokemon. Apparently Pokemon is "offensive" to Christians, Jews, and Buddists.
What all Poke-fans have to realize is that being a fan is about beleiving in something no matter what people say about it. You have to forget about the negatives and think about what made you like Pokemon in the first place. Master this and you will acheive true Poke-perfection.
Yes, I'm that obsessed...

Panduh

Smash Journeyman
Pikachus great..but nothing new about him...not even his appearance.. but he kinda looks smaller...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
People probably don't see as much in Pikachu (Or any Pokemon for that matter) is under-appreciated is because of the anime. Just read Wikipedia's page on Pokemon. Apparently Pokemon is "offensive" to Christians, Jews, and Buddists.
What all Poke-fans have to realize is that being a fan is about beleiving in something no matter what people say about it. You have to forget about the negatives and think about what made you like Pokemon in the first place. Master this and you will acheive true Poke-perfection.
Yes, I'm that obsessed...
Er... why is Pokemon offensive to ANY religion? I dont get it.

And I think it's just because of Pikachu's nerfing in Melee, people lost faith in him, and many new characters have been confirmed, which are new, and thus more interesting to people. So they, of course, flock to those character's forum sections, instead of Pikachu's. DK is getting the same treatment, dont worry.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
This is because a year or so back, there was this Catholic school who banned Pokemon because of the 'evolution' aspect of it.

Blame denominations...

Pikachu will be as popular as ever, there are probably not alot of Pikas on the forums yet.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
This is because a year or so back, there was this Catholic school who banned Pokemon because of the 'evolution' aspect of it.

Blame denominations...

Pikachu will be as popular as ever, there are probably not alot of Pikas on the forums yet.
sigh why must my fellow Catholics act like children...

anyway, People are amused by new peeps right now, so pika is getting little notice

PokemonLegacy

Smash Apprentice
Er... why is Pokemon offensive to ANY religion? I dont get it.

And I think it's just because of Pikachu's nerfing in Melee, people lost faith in him, and many new characters have been confirmed, which are new, and thus more interesting to people. So they, of course, flock to those character's forum sections, instead of Pikachu's. DK is getting the same treatment, dont worry.
Dont ask me ask the religions, Lol. ( Me am Christian).
Heck, Anime compinies call PKMN movies a disgrace to anime. Its more than just SSB, its Pokemon! Also the whole "Shiny Shiny New Chars" people flock to is true.

Jayster

Smash Rookie
Pikachus my 3th main...with the green headband anyway ;)

I think he's been overshadowed a bit due to the Pokemon Trainer and his lack of "new" moves, other than his FS...

People will regret ignoring him when the thunder hits though :p

Baiten

Smash Rookie
I think he's been overshadowed a bit due to the Pokemon Trainer and his lack of "new" moves, other than his FS...

Yea, all the Poke-fans probably switched to P.Trainer because he has three for the price of one...
They will regret it though, once the blue lightning appears.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Yea, all the Poke-fans probably switched to P.Trainer because he has three for the price of one...
They will regret it though, once the blue lightning appears.
They will regret it when I up-smash them, or show them his new shiny down smash.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No way dood, Pikachu's still awesome, he's just not that much different in appearance or moves, so he's not getting too much attention. He'll still kick butt like before, against newcomers and vets alike!

Pika Power!

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
I've mained him since 64, and while he was less powerful in melee I enjoyed playing with him the most nonetheless.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I agree, but the subtraction of the blue party hat has made me think about using him or not. They just gave him blue goggles now, which he stole from Pichu.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I plan on maining Sonic, Pikachu, and Bowser.

I loved playing as Pikachu in 64. I'm looking forward to doing that again in Brawl. =)

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
The reason that there's a lack of threads here is because pikachu hasn't been changed much compared to others. Also the fact that sheik has been confirmed has drawn people to the sheik threads.

MuMastr

Smash Rookie
once people get bored of the new characters they will pay more attention to the old ones

Top Bottom