• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda So... Did you hear about this new petition?

What do you think about it?

• I like the idea, Nintendo should totally do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Valacar

Smash Cadet

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I really don't like when affirmative action tries to sully people's works when their work isn't offensive to begin with. It's one thing when your work portrays a group of people in a negative way, but just because a group isn't represented as the start of a piece of work, they feel like they need to change it. Are you insinuating that it is wrong to be white and male? It's not like Link is a bad protagonist.

Changing stuff like this also just completely puts plot and lore to the side, which is pretty important to the Zelda series. The only thing that should trump plot/lore is gameplay.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I really don't like when affirmative action tries to sully people's works when their work isn't offensive to begin with. It's one thing when your work portrays a group of people in a negative way, but just because a group isn't represented as the start of a piece of work, they feel like they need to change it. Are you insinuating that it is wrong to be white and male? It's not like Link is a bad protagonist.

Changing stuff like this also just completely puts plot and lore to the side, which is pretty important to the Zelda series. The only thing that should trump plot/lore is gameplay.
Why does changing Link's race/gender "sully" anything? How does changing Link's race/gender affect plot at all? How does changing Link's race/gender affect lore at all? What is so unique to white males that the series has to be gutted in order to compensate for the lack of a white male protagonist?

The different iterations of Link are reincarnations. What's so outlandish about him being reincarnated into a body that isn't white and male? Like, we can suspend disbelief to the point of allowing for the hero to be reincarnated in the first place, he can be incarnated into a child or a teenager or a young adult, he can have darker or lighter hair, but make him not a man and/or not white and suddenly whoa, too much?

Not representing a group is a negative portrayal of that group. Because not representing a group ever at all represents the group as invisible. How do you argue that there are no negative consequences to not representing those groups, but when there's a slight indication that maybe one character of how many out there is not a white male for once and you jump to "Are you saying there's something wrong with being a white male?" What do you think it says when you say "Uhhh no why do we need to represent anybody but white males"?

Nothing has to change about Link's character for those things to change. The way the lore is built up makes perfect room for that to happen. Unless I'm mistaken, nowhere in any lore does it say that the hero has to be anything but a hero. Would a black woman not be capable of adventuring and stopping Ganon too...? Like I am legitimately very confused as to what drastic changes you see occurring. Very, very little has to change to accomplish that. Just look at Avatar: The Last Airbender into The Legend of Korra. The avatar is a hero who is reincarnated. In Avatar, this hero was a white male; in Korra, the avatar becomes a non-white woman. The only thing that's changed based on race and gender is her place or origin.

I do not by any means believe Nintendo will change Link now, or any time in the near future, and perhaps ever, but I am baffled as to why people are so offended at the thought of it.

My knowledge of Zelda lore is, granted, not perfect, so if there is a contradiction to these concepts feel free to cite it. But I still think the aggressive opposition to the idea is unnecessary.

Last edited:

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Ive always liked the concept of Link and Zelda having reincarnations that switched roles. Link having a female reincarnation and Zelda with a male, keeping "Link" the heroine/hero. Heck there is even art for a female link in the Hyrule Warriors CE art book.

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
That would be really cool when I picture it. But I don't understand why there is a petition for it. It's not that serious. There is no injustice going on, and I don't get how Nintendo went too far in making him white again. Why would they suddenly make him any other color? The game comes from Japan, of course he's not going to be black. But anyway, an African tribe based Zelda game would be pretty darn cool.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just allow the player to customize Link's appearance. Not only will it make sense in lore, but it would allow for the player to truly make Link into his/her avatar.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't know why this needs a petition. While it would be nice if they did make Link dark-skinned and/or female, nothing would be ruined if they chose not to change Link's consistent designs as a Caucasian boy/man. That's just how they make the games, and if that's how they feel it should stay, then so be it.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Sully as in peer pressure the author to make his work different from what he or she originally intended. It's not sullied because minorities are involved, it's sullied because the author/artist/creator is peer pressured into doing something else than he/she wanted. Take Dragon Ball Z for example. Akira Toriyama originally wanted Gohan to be the hero for the second time in the Buu Saga. However, intense amount of fan pressure caused him to change the script so that Goku was the one who saved the day, and you can kind of tell this happened in the show.

Another similar change the Shredder in the new TMNT film. Originally, William Fichtner was supposed to do it according to interviews during filming, but when the movie came out, welp, he's not the Shredder. This was another something wanted by fans, and I can understand why they didn't want their character changed, but it ended up going against the artist's original intention and created a bunch of plot holes.

If Nintendo wants to make Link black in the next game and take the change seriously, as in give a good explanation as to why he is black (ie, he's half black, half Hylian or the NPC praise him for being an example of how ANYONE can be the hero), then cool. What I don't want to see is Link turned black with no thought about how it changes the game and the world around him.

the8thark

Smash Lord
If you want to be really specific you could say this:

Good Guys
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Kirby (originally white then made pink)
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Captain Olimar
  • Pit
    etc etc
]
All white/pink.

Bad Guys
  • Bowser
  • Kamek
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
  • Ganon
  • Ridley
    etc etc
All non white.

You could say white guys are good and non white guys are bad on Nintendo games. Nintendo does not really do anything buy good white guys and bad non white guys. Wario/Waluigi being exceptions but they are not purely evil as they are the "good of sorts" stars in their own games now.

Last edited:

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
This is a stupid petition in a lot of ways. Not least because even if Link were black, he wouldn't be 'African-American'. LoZ takes place in a fantasy counterpart of Europe.

The petition says a lot about how close minded the more extreme factions of the social justice movement can be. Not every major work in every major culture needs to represent every minority. I don't demand that American media represent Australian Aboriginals or Torres Strait Islanders. It's American media's responsibility to make sure that minorities of America receive equal treatment, not anyone else's.

That said, making Link customisable would make a lot of sense. He was originally named for being the 'link' between the player and the game, and making him customisable would definitely further that goal. But if Link is going to be made customisable it should be to further the gameplay experience, not because a bunch of ethnocentric SJWs think it's every other country's job to fairly represent their minorities.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Whilst I think frankly Link should be left the frick alone, I'd be down for more games in the Zelda series that co-starred Impa as a second playable option to fill the request gap here;
She occasionally has olive coloured skin, and as the guardian of Zelda her doing the trite 'rescue the princess' schtick makes as much sense as Link.
Let the Sheikah race have a shot to do their job too.

Hyrule Warriors has spoilt me a bit, but I'd pretty much like at least one other character option to play as other thank Link in future Zelda games, and if that character is female I'm down with it.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
I think Nintendo does need to show more love for women and black characters.

As a long-time Zelda fan who has played nearly every Zelda game, I wouldn't be opposed to Link being black or a woman at all. Though I don't think its necessary either.

Top Bottom