• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sneak's ZSS Video Thread

Adapt

Smash Lord
A thread asking for critique is fine... because vids don't get critiqued in the other thread

However, just posting vids to show off is best done in the video thread.

Munas

Smash Cadet
from just the Ike video: You need to space much more. You shouldn't have been approaching him but rather making him approach you. Short hop your side b much more. Also EVERY SINGLE time you recovered you used your down b. That gets predictable and he started to punish you for it.

VanillaWaffle

Smash Apprentice
commentary - munas, dont tell him that approaching is bad and call it spacing. thats the difference between being offensive and defensive and thats all just playstyle.

critique - not bad, however you have a kinda obvious killing pattern. it looks to me like once they reach threat range you only go for the side b for you killing move. that makes you easy to predict. you have to mix it up a bit. id say more double d smashs and follow up with a back air on the release of the stun. also whenever they grabbed the ledge you immediately spammed d smash, again it was obvious it was coming and it became easy to avoid. mix it up, back up and backflip over to em, side be, hover above em with up airs. zss has a lot more options than you are using.

FK1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...VanillaWaffle's right about the option thing. Needs less thoughtless Dsmash and more uptilt in my opinion. Against characters like Ike and other ZSS's, especially ones that know they can cancel out the jab with their jab, I would recommend using only the initial jab then shielding and punishing accordingly. Also, it seems that you think that retreating SideB's will always bait them into the tip. Not always the case. Short hop a few SideB's every now and then. What's always fun to do, since ZSS shorthop is pretty high, is to shorthop backwards then DI forward and then try a SideB. It sometimes catches people off guard or sends them up into shields if they see you delaying an attack while short hopping. Just adds to your unpredictability, I s'pose. Also, another thing I noticed was that when you shot the stungun, you assumed it would hit and went in for a grab. HUGE MISTAKE. I used to do that all the time, too. Grab only if you know you can make the grab. Otherwise you're toast, especially at around 80-90% because at that point anything will kill you. LOL. I realize not everything really will kill you at that point but it's better to be cautious, right? I think I've written way too much. I hope it helped you out.

Munas

Smash Cadet
commentary - munas, dont tell him that approaching is bad and call it spacing. thats the difference between being offensive and defensive and thats all just playstyle.
I understand what you're saying, but atleast as far as the Ike video is concerned I stick to what I said (I didn't watch the others). If you play an aggressive game in that match up - well, Ike has a lot longer range than you so if he knows your just going to approach him he's going to wait and punish you for it, and with a character as light as Zero Suit Samus getting punished by Ike is pretty bad.

Perhaps my original advice was a bit strong, however I still think that the OP would be best served by spacing more, keep the pressure on Ike while being safe. If the OP wants to play an aggressive game and approach a lot, they need to keep the opponent on their toes because approach's are often easier to punish, especially considering many characters have moves that will punish ZSS before she get's into striking range with her "aggressive" moves.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
yea honestly the ike video was pretty bad.... we played alot of friendlies and then all of the sudden that match was uploaded by the other person because he played well and its cool and all but the other vids i play alot better imo.... i'll have more videos soon but i'm just working on issues with quality before i upload anything else

VanillaWaffle

Smash Apprentice
i practice against an ike main, i know they do exist...weird right...

anyways i go full aggressive against him, he may have some range advantage, but zss has speed. once again its a playstyle choice.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
really against ike you have to stay away from his sword and his jabs man those hurt alot.
I like that the first match u had against toon link Forget that Front smash exist and punish him more with the down tilt. i did not see the other match to lazy.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
Is this even supposed to be advice? That's like saying "don't get hit because it hurts you."
Well IN general IKE have to much priority against ZSS because of the jabs and the jabs are faster then the down smash so you must have a lot of spacing against ike with side b.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Well IN general IKE have to much priority against ZSS because of the jabs and the jabs are faster then the down smash so you must have a lot of spacing against ike with side b.
D-tilt has more range and is about as fast as Ike's jabs.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Against Ike, feel free to camp more, at least if it's a tournament. Ryoko shouldn't have been sitting there while he was behind, and you shouldn't have chased after him.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Against Ike, feel free to camp more, at least if it's a tournament. Ryoko shouldn't have been sitting there while he was behind, and you shouldn't have chased after him.

RYKOSHET.

And for serious, he's a master of mindgames.

VanillaWaffle

Smash Apprentice
best advice you'll ever get, its been my strategy since day one. its just 4 simple words that will get you the win every time if you follow them

JUST DONT GET HIT!!!

great advice right.

ps up tilt beats ike jabs in speed.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Don't use the third hit of the jab combo unless the opponent is in the air as they're being hit. 99% of the time they will shield it and punish you for it.

When you're next to another character, your first priority should always be jumping away. ZSS's jump is large and if spaced right with a bair or fair they'll get punished for chasing. Her spotdodge and rolldodge both have a lot of frames pre-invincibility, and often you'll get hit out of them. Most of her moves have startup lag or ending lag, and thus attacking from anything but near-perfect spacing often means you'll be eating percentage.

Don't Down-B to the stage, down B to the edge and footstool them if they're hugging it. You'll get punished quite often for going onto the stage. Only use the attack if you know it's going to hit.

When the opponent is on the ledge and you're not, charge the downsmash at perfect spacing. Spamming it has a lower chance of landing and also advances you into the range you'll get hit in.

Use the grab sparingly, and after you've trained them to shield side-B a lot. Never use it too much in succession.

I'm still working on several of these items myself.

Out of interest, Sneak, what caused your interest in ZSS?

EDIT: @VanillaWaffle, who the hell are you?

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
i played zss for a while... even at that play n trade tourney but i never really used her in tourney.... that match vs ryko i was playing pretty stupid, we were just messing around on wifi for the most part but its still good to see what people think about certain situations and things that were happening in the video. ZSS is the closest thing i get to real combos, that's one of the main reasons i played falco in melee, so that's my reason for playing her

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I honestly don't often approach ZSS at all, there's absolutely 0 reason to so if I'm doing it it's only because of impatience.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
I honestly don't often approach ZSS at all, there's absolutely 0 reason to so if I'm doing it it's only because of impatience.
How can Ike do anything without approaching? What can he do to her from a long distance? Or do you just mean you wait for zss to come to you?
Cause the whip is pretty long, it even outranges his counter.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
How can Ike do anything without approaching? What can he do to her from a long distance? Or do you just mean you wait for zss to come to you?
Cause the whip is pretty long, it even outranges his counter.
He just powershields it and makes me eat nair or fair.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
But if you're behind, the ZSS has absolutely no reason to do so either. And if you are approaching, then as you say it's due to impatience, and ZSS does much better when her opponent is approaching her, especially if her opponent is impatient.

VanillaWaffle

Smash Apprentice
when close your first priority should be jumping away? that doesnt sound to right to me. once again we get into playstyle. u tilt is amazingly fast and has deceptive range. if i get in close i generally use that and let me tell ya, it works.

as for asking who i am, pardon me for assuming you could read being on the boards and all, ill keep my assumptions to myself for now on. I am Vanilla Waffle....

Top Bottom