• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake's Tier List Placing?

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think he is amazing and definitely at the top of the tier list. He has an obnoxious grab range, making shield grabbing easy. He can literally chain everyone in the cast with his upthrow, straight into a c4, which is stupidly inescapable.. On light characters, the c4 can kill at around 70%, and since the c4 is not transferable in this game and can be easily lead into from a combo, snake can rack up damage insanely fast and kill at a relatively low percent. His pillar combos do a large amount of damage and the fast startup on the attack makes it amazing for escaping pressure. His ability to move during grabs makes kill setups possible from his dsmash if for some strange reason he has not already stuck you with a c4. He is also a heavy weight, so down cancelling with him is extremely useful. As if his crouch wasn't good enough, he can also duck grabs, making ducking be an extremely viable option against many characters. The only flaw with him is that he is juggled extremely well.

I've heard opinions range from being OP to bottom tier. I was curious to know what other people think of him.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I think he is a bit over the half-way mark on the tier list. He has a pretty horrendous time approaching other than grabs and DACUS. He gets juggled pretty easily with a very gimpable recovery for some characters. In my opinion, Snake has an incredibly high skill ceiling for people to break with all of the amazingly cool set-ups he can create. His air speed is just so bad.... :(

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
The general I've seen is that he's good, likely high tier. Though there are some, not a lot of people now who still believe snake is low. So yeah...

bombrider

Smash Rookie
Snake definitely is near the top (maybe somewhere between top 6-10?). I think most people say he is near the bottom due to his high learning curve...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Snake seems like a very versatile character (lots of options) and his weaknesses can be difficult to spot but they do exist.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I think he is a bit over the half-way mark on the tier list. He has a pretty horrendous time approaching other than grabs and DACUS. He gets juggled pretty easily with a very gimpable recovery for some characters. In my opinion, Snake has an incredibly high skill ceiling for people to break with all of the amazingly cool set-ups he can create. His air speed is just so bad.... :(
I think that him having bad air control is actually an interesting feature to his design. Fox and falco are really easy to juggle, but dangerous on stage. Sheik is a little similar to snake considering they both have poor aerial movement. On stage, they are very different though.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
I've said it once I'll say it again I hate snakea character who has a projectile for every single situation is ridiculous.
Personally, I think he is amazing and definitely at the top of the tier list. He has an obnoxious grab range, making shield grabbing easy. He can literally chain everyone in the cast with his upthrow, straight into a c4, which is stupidly inescapable.. On light characters, the c4 can kill at around 70%, and since the c4 is not transferable in this game and can be easily lead into from a combo, snake can rack up damage insanely fast and kill at a relatively low percent. His pillar combos do a large amount of damage and the fast startup on the attack makes it amazing for escaping pressure. His ability to move during grabs makes kill setups possible from his dsmash if for some strange reason he has not already stuck you with a c4. He is also a heavy weight, so down cancelling with him is extremely useful. As if his crouch wasn't good enough, he can also duck grabs, making ducking be an extremely viable option against many characters. The only flaw with him is that he is juggled extremely well.

I've heard opinions range from being OP to bottom tier. I was curious to know what other people think of him.
Sorry about that lol. He has a projectile for every situation. And every attack he lands, sets him up for another attack. His up smash hits u twice... meaning u have to get hit by the rocket part. And at low percents this can set up his fair spike. Any mine he plants or c4, he can throw u pretty much into them. Blah blah about his recovery. Why? Cause it still electricutes you and cancels your spike. Im strickly gannon. And im geting very upset that I have to go through hell and back just to get on the stage. Ganon cant sheild grab snake, his range is too low. But I get sheild grabbed all the time from snake. Wizkid911 plays him well. But something needs to give. Idc what anyone says. He has the best ground game by far. But for someone whos human as snake... he shouldnt be stronger than ganon. Let me explain, his dagger range has long reach, which you can see with the white slash marks. If I get hit with 2 of those... im at 23% from zero... dumb. And his 3 punch kick combo beats anyone to the punch. Im just sick of a human being stronger and more equipped then ganon(prince of darkness).

Fortress

Smash Master
Snake deserves the spot he has in the upper half of the tier list, but he's by no stretch of the imagination 'overpowered'. I have a couple of choice words for Snake, myself.

Recovering. Mario. Cape. Floor blast line.
The end.

Fortress

Smash Master
I've said it once I'll say it again I hate snakea character who has a projectile for every single situation is ridiculous.
His projectile and stage control game is pretty situational, in my own opinion. Plus, that's what he does. The dude's a zoner. Snake's the name, stage control is his game.

He has a projectile for every situation. And every attack he lands, sets him up for another attack. His up smash hits u twice... meaning u have to get hit by the rocket part. And at low percents this can set up his fair spike.
Plenty of characters hit multiple times with their U-smash. Link, for example. U-Smash into U-Air for a quick ceiling kill, which is entirely possible.

Any mine he plants or c4, he can throw u pretty much into them.
Why would he have them if they were these derpy little things that he had a hard time throwing you into? I can understand that you feel like the throw can be a little too easy to do for some Snake players, but you have to keep in mind that once a mine is fielded, you can toss Snake himself into it, or just go hide behind it and force him to slip up.

Blah blah about his recovery. Why? Cause it still electricutes you and cancels your spike.
There are pleeeeeeenty of options against Cypher to keep Snake off of the stage. Above him is really the absolute worst place to go, so if you're trying to spike Snake, of course it's not going to work. Snake's recovery is weak in that the path is predictable, and that he's protected largely from above whilst performing it. Shoot him out of the air with Link's bow, cape him with Mario (hilarious), F-Smash him from a sizable distance with Ike, gimp him with Pit, swallow him up with DeDeDe, fortressguard him with Bowser; most of the cast has a reasonable response to Snake's recovery, spikes not being one of them, and that doesn't mean that he's broken in the slightest.

Im strickly gannon. And im geting very upset that I have to go through hell and back just to get on the stage.
This is going to bite you in the ass no matter which character you match up as with Ganondorf. Save for another Ganondorf. It's one of Ganondorf's weaknesses, a poor recovery, and that's not Snake's fault at all.

Ganon cant sheild grab snake, his range is too low. But I get sheild grabbed all the time from snake.
Pretty much the same as above. Ganon's grab range is pitiful, Snake's is viable; it's not Snake's fault at all. Ganon's going to have trouble with grabs in most matchups in general.

But something needs to give. Idc what anyone says. He has the best ground game by far. But for someone whos human as snake... he shouldnt be stronger than ganon.
Saying that he's got the best ground game is a stretch, but he's got a solid one, to be sure. He's right where the he deserves to be on tier lists, but he's not unstoppable. Of course, if the only match you watch is Professor Pro versus Jolteon, then Snake is of course going to seem a tad overpowered. On the topic of in-universe power, Ike's a human, too, and so is Mario, and they both pack a wallop with the majority of their movesets compared to Snake. I don't think that the 'this character is stronger in their universe' sort of argument really applies in Smash Bros.

Let me explain, his dagger range has long reach, which you can see with the white slash marks. If I get hit with 2 of those... im at 23% from zero... dumb. And his 3 punch kick combo beats anyone to the punch. Im just sick of a human being stronger and more equipped then ganon(prince of darkness).
Ike can nail pretty much anybody with any move and do the same thing, so it's not just Snake himself packing all of this heat and range. It's not dumb, it's just his character. You're Ganondorf. You can zero to fist-through-face any character in the cast, save for Bowser, with your jab and forward tilt. If you're not seeing the huge amounts of power behind Ganondorf's meathooks, then something's up.

And, again, it shouldn't matter who's human or not. I like to use the Ike example a lot, because he's kind of scrawny compared to some of the cast members, and can flatten Snake pretty quickly if a Snake player isn't careful. Plus, in any game Ganondorf has shown up to, he hasn't exactly been armed to the teeth. The whole 'Snake's a scrawny nerd and Ganondorf lifts hardcore everyday' argument is just silly in the context of the Smash Bros. universe. You're in a game in which Peach can beat the living daylights out of Giga Bowser. Anything can happen.

Sorry if this sounds like a massive hissy-fit towards what you had to say, but I feel that if you only play Ganondorf, then you can't say that Snake is the ultimate character in the game that needs to be toned down. Explore some other matchups, figure out what Ganondorf can do for you in the first place, and try playing Snake sometime and exploring his limitations.

If that's not an option, then all I hear here is "salt".

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
Ok but ike is slow. But strong like ganon. And trust me. I used to main fox, I know alot of match ups. Were pros here lol. Go up against a great snake player. Im tellin you... hes a pain, no matter who u got. I mained link in melee. Abd use him in pm. Links up a sure hits 3 times. But it doestnt set up a spike off the stage. Imo his ground game is the best like I said. Its 2 quick and 2 strong. If its quick it dhould be weaker and have less force.

Maybe someday people will stop hiding behind snake, and act like hes such a ***** character. And cry anytime someone says about him. Ive been playing smash since 64. And no this isnt thrown directly at you lol, sry if it does. Im dpeakin in generalities. People baby snake. Im trllin u... if you play a good one, like my roomate. .. maybe people will start to understand how cheap as hell he is.

Fortress

Smash Master
Ok but ike is slow. But strong like ganon.
Ganondorf is slower than Ike on the planet I come from.

Were pros here lol.
I'm not, not by any stretch of the word.

Maybe someday people will stop hiding behind snake, and act like hes such a ***** character. And cry anytime someone says about him.
I think you're the only one whining about how 'overpowered' he is. The dude is fine, really. Nobody's hiding behind him. Just don't be sour that Ganondorf, a character crawling out of the pit of the lower tiers, is having trouble with a character like Snake; with solid stage control, recovery, and plenty of options against Ganondorf off of the stage.

Ive been playing smash since 64.
Neat. That doesn't mean a single thing to me. I've been playing since Smash 64, and I couldn't AGT my way out of a paper bag.

People baby snake. Im trllin u... if you play a good one, like my roomate. .. maybe people will start to understand how cheap as hell he is.
Funny that, my roommate plays him well enough to get by, and I've never at one point thought he was cheap, at all. Nobody's babying Snake. He's where he is on tier lists for a reason; he's simply a good character all around, but he's entirely stoppable.

Again, all I'm hearing is "salty salt with a heaping side of salt".

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
Funny that, my roommate plays him well enough to get by, and I've never at one point thought he was cheap, at all. Nobody's babying Snake. He's where he is on tier lists for a reason; he's simply a good character all around, but he's entirely stoppable.

Again, all I'm hearing is "salty salt with a heaping side of salt".[/quote]

Enough to get by? Now im the one hearibg the salt. I said soneone whos good with him.. meaning someone who is a pro.. makes the world of difference. Obviously if mewtwo king played with snake id be scared... but someone who "just gets by" coukdnt release the potential like he could. Soooooo yea agsin, play a oto. Then get back at me. Better yet go watch youtuve videos. A players skill level makes the difference. Example 2, everyone in melee thought ganjon sucked.. until kage cane along. He inspired me. You cant even talk if you havent played trully dkilled people. Its harsh and im sorry but so is reality.

You cant make assumptions when u havent even seen what hes capable of.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
No offense shwickid222, but your arguments are coming off as pretty unprofessional. I mostly main Snake but I'm no "pro," so my guess is that any input on my part wouldn't be worth much. But I'm pretty darn sure that legit PM Snake mains will tell you he's not nearly as broken as you make him out to be. He's good, he's fun, and he's manly, but he's not broken.

Fortress

Smash Master
No offense shwickid222, but your arguments are coming off as pretty unprofessional. I mostly main Snake but I'm no "pro," so my guess is that any input on my part wouldn't be worth much. But I'm pretty darn sure that legit PM Snake mains will tell you he's not nearly as broken as you make him out to be. He's good, he's fun, and he's manly, but he's not broken.
But mostly manly.

JTsm

Smash Master
Snake is top 10 at best. He's got a lot of options against spacies and such, but he can get hella bodied in other areas as well.

Solid(harhar) character if you know how to punish.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You guys just dont get it.
As probably the best Snake main atm, and played him in multiple MU's with different people, and have a very good understanding of his strengths and weaknesses, I can tell you he's not broken.

If you truly feel like your housemate depicts how Snake is 'broken' just record a few games and if it's apparent and their is something missing to the Snake metagame which isn't already public knowledge the community will change their mind.

I actually play the Ganon MU quite frequently with a friend who mains him and it's actually kind of annoying for Snake to get around Ganon's poke's and spaced aerials.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
As probably the best Snake main atm, and played him in multiple MU's with different people, and have a very good understanding of his strengths and weaknesses, I can tell you he's not broken.

If you truly feel like your housemate depicts how Snake is 'broken' just record a few games and if it's apparent and their is something missing to the Snake metagame which isn't already public knowledge the community will change their mind.

I actually play the Ganon MU quite frequently with a friend who mains him and it's actually kind of annoying for Snake to get around Ganon's poke's and spaced aerials.

Umm yet snake can just throw grenades, nikitas or spike on a gannon getting back on. Nikitas especially.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Pro was talking about the neutral game against Ganon, not specifically edge-guarding. When Ganon spaces fair or bair its really hard to punish and get around, although crouching while walking towards him can get around that. But ganon still has his jab, f-tilt, and d-tilt to get around, which is difficult for Snake that doesn't have a good approach in the first place.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Enough to get by? Now im the one hearibg the salt. I said soneone whos good with him.. meaning someone who is a pro.. makes the world of difference. Obviously if mewtwo king played with snake id be scared... but someone who "just gets by" coukdnt release the potential like he could. Soooooo yea agsin, play a oto. Then get back at me. Better yet go watch youtuve videos. A players skill level makes the difference. Example 2, everyone in melee thought ganjon sucked.. until kage cane along. He inspired me. You cant even talk if you havent played trully dkilled people. Its harsh and im sorry but so is reality.

You cant make assumptions when u havent even seen what hes capable of.

Yeah, this whole thing seems akin to how I've convinced the people at my college that Link is ridiculously fast and the best character in the game. You can't judge the entire meta based on a single matchup or the limited range of knowledge you have about the metagame and how the character interacts with it (even pro players [the intelligent ones] have difficulty agreeing on tiers and MUs sometimes since a metagame is such an intricate thing, so I highly doubt you're 100% enlightened on the subject). Losing to a character doesn't mean the character is broken. Bad players complain, good players assess what they're doing wrong and strategize for the future. For example, not to claim that I'm indisputably a good player because vanity, I played an Ivy in the finals of the local tournament, and I was getting completely wasted by his Razor Leaf and grab game because I was unfamiliar with the MU. The knee-jerk reaction was to call the character out on being ridiculous. However, I thought about how to counter it and I played him some more later, and now his Ivysaur isn't that much of a problem, provided I'm on my game because the guy's a vicious player. Anyway, I don't enjoy the mindset "This character has GOOD OPTIONS?! It's BROKEN!" It's just counter-productive. Characters should be allowed to have good things without people complaining that it's too much. If you study the matchup and have it completely mastered and lose not to your own shortcomings but to the character's infallibility, then perhaps it should be considered. But as it stands, we should WANT more characters to be good. It adds to the variety of the game.

This won't mean much to you I assume, and I get the impression that you're trolling. But there it is.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Umm yet snake can just throw grenades, nikitas or spike on a gannon getting back on. Nikitas especially.

mYzeALOT pretty much explained what I was talking about but yeah, I was referring to the neutral game, not edgeguarding.

But still it would be interesting if you recorded some games to see how you are managing the matchup.

Fortress

Smash Master
I'm finding it laughable that somebody is telling Professor Pro that he doesn't know anything about Snake.

HEY, HYLIAN. BET YOU CAN'T TOP MY LINK GAME. LITTLE DID YOU KNOW, HE'S ACTUALLY ALL ABOUT B-AIR GAMEPLAY. FORGET THE 'RANG AND BOMBS.

There, I said it.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
Im really not trolling lol. Im 23 years old and have better things to do. I will post a video sometime today professor pro. I didnt say yhe professor didnt know what he was talking about! Man.. are u a kid fortress? Anyways all im saying is... between snake crouching underneath my palm strike and my boots... and nikita killung me almost everytime I try to get back on is frustrating. Nothing more nothing less. U guys need to seriously let go of your weiners sometimes sheesh.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
^^^ about that ganon vid... When should we expect it

Fortress

Smash Master
Anyways all im saying is... between snake crouching underneath my palm strike and my boots... and nikita killung me almost everytime I try to get back on is frustrating.
Space him out more. You've got some reach on your b-air as G, and your d-air will do good work on a crouched Snake seeing as his crouching attack doesn't hit upper ranges at all. If Snake's crouching attack is giving you that big of a problem, crouch cancel it out and boot him in the face with a d-tilt. Ganondorf's a tank, he can take the hits for a while. As for getting killed by the Nikita during recovery, that's just Ganondorf's personal problem with having a poor recovery. Link and TLink can gimp him out with arrows, Mario with fireballs, Ness and Lucas with PK Thunder, Sheik with aerial needles; the list just goes on. Ganondorf just has trouble getting back to the stage, not really Snake's fault at all.

Really, Snake should be having a hell of a time getting close to you. In the Ganondorf matchup, G just has better spacers and punishers than Snake does. Snake's rolling attack comes out? Crouch cancel it and boot him in the jaw. Snake comes in with the crouching attack? Jump and d-air, if anything. He's coming at you with his jab? Space him out and b-air him, or crouch cancel the attack and bust his lip open with a jab or f-tilt. Jab's your fastest attack, so getting that in there while cc'ing Snake's attacks is a viable option.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Im really not trolling lol. Im 23 years old and have better things to do. I will post a video sometime today professor pro. I didnt say yhe professor didnt know what he was talking about! Man.. are u a kid fortress? Anyways all im saying is... between snake crouching underneath my palm strike and my boots... and nikita killung me almost everytime I try to get back on is frustrating. Nothing more nothing less. U guys need to seriously let go of your weiners sometimes sheesh.
Sounds good, and I know you weren't saying you don't know what I am talking about, you are simply disagreeing with me which is 100% fine. And to be fair you could still say I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm not 100% committed to my position and could be convinced with video evidence as written only goes so far. But I'm pretty confident in my position for how this MU can play out on both sides.

But it's good to know you are posting a video because I would like to see how you are handling it, because from my personal experience in this MU Ganon can handle it reasonably well and capitalize on Snake extremely weak approach, well enough imo to not have to post about Snake being OP lol, but yeah look forward to the video :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ganon vs Snake? Awkward MU because Ganon covers good angles with massive range, and Snake camps Ganon pretty well. Either character moving forward is a bit of a mistake for them, unless it's to maintain your spacing.

On topic of Snake's tier list position: I don't know where to place him, because some of his harder MU's feel like he's totally limited. Like a patient Marth or MK feels like the worst sh** to try and deal with. I don't think Ivy makes him feel good either... Idk man you Snake players got some balls that's all I can say lol

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good, and I know you weren't saying you don't know what I am talking about, you are simply disagreeing with me which is 100% fine. And to be fair you could still say I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm not 100% committed to my position and could be convinced with video evidence as written only goes so far. But I'm pretty confident in my position for how this MU can play out on both sides.

But it's good to know you are posting a video because I would like to see how you are handling it, because from my personal experience in this MU Ganon can handle it reasonably well and capitalize on Snake extremely weak approach, well enough imo to not have to post about Snake being OP lol, but yeah look forward to the video :)
Not really pertaining to your discussion, but this is directed at you. Do you think snakes up grab is cheap in the slightest way? It can literally destroy the entire cast and leads straight into death setups. Is there any way to escape, or are you really just dead once a decent snake player takes advantage of the crappy shield grab system and snakes large grab range?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Snake's Uthrow could be rebalanced to "release" people a bit higher so that it doesn't CG as far on floatier/bigger characters but still works on FF's. I'm guessing something further will be done about it to make it more like "regular" Uthrows that are more about juggles and good positioning instead of CGing everyone.

Fortress

Smash Master
Question: how do you 'walk' people with Snake's grab? I've tried everything I can think of, and cannot do it. I've seen Snake players do it a lot, but I feel dumb asking if that was something that was removed in 2.6b.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
All my bros are comin over tonight. Ill be recording. Check back on here around 1am eastern time.

Fortress

Smash Master
Sounds groovy. Smash some face and get some dunks in. I'm secretly hoping that you're absolutely wrong about Snake, and that you destroy him and crack him in half with Ganondorf.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Thats the plan lol
So about those videos Shwickid222, was there ever any attempt to get something to show us, or are you just the literal worst **** poster on these forums? Because, finding this thread gave me MAD dejavu from that Ganon thread that you went into, talking about mostly the same thing, that being "Snake vs Ganon is +100/ -in snake's favor and makes Ganon wish he was never born, me and my friend are better than pc chris and isai so don't worry about it" which has been pretty dang silly if you ask me. You got any videos or has this been eons of all talk and no game?

Top Bottom