• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake teammates...Who and why?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I don't think we've ever had extensive discussion on this, so I'll start.

Who do you think is a character that is well suited to team with Snake in doubles, and why do you think so? Hopefully we can extract some good opinions/experiences amongst you all, because I certainly would like to hear them. Consider friendly fire as well. I'll start.

G&W is a good candidate. Oil Panic helps deal with projectiles, and provides a powerful KO attack that is usually relatively easier to land in doubles. The ability of Snake to rack up a lot of damage helps in this respect. He's also quick, making up for Snake's shortcomings in speed, and has a very nice aerial game and safe approach, again making up for what Snake is lacking/weak in. Not to mention, G&W has some powerful KO moves of his own. The only problem I've encountered so far is G&W's light frame, so you're always trying to be careful not to blow him up too many times with your nades/mines/c4/mortar.

Farago

Smash Rookie
I find teaming up with wolf to be well suited

One of the my favourite things to do in doubles is the down throw. I get wolf to cover one side of the roll, I get the other side. If the opponent rolls towards the edge(my side), I do a chain grab and as I lower my opponent with down throw, wolf goes for the finishing spike, KOs at low percentages. If the opponent rolls towards wolf, he does a grab and does his down throw which slides the opponent down the screen. This sets up for a nice snake up tilt. You just have to become familiar with how far the opponent slides depending on his percent damage.

Wolf is also a heavy character, so you don't have to worry as much with mines and nades finishing him off.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I kinda come up with these Ideas for who should team with as I play against people.

Peach and Lucario come to mind for their counter move and good air game.

See I like at the start or some time when one of us finishes off an opponent to put a C4 on them.
This is good in two ways, they either transfer the stick or they preform the counter and I detonate. Note for Peach if its on her butt it didn't work last time or the timing was off.

Right now Olimar is my best character and I love having Snake as a teammate. The ground on complete lock down if someone gets grabbed. If Snake Grabs them and down throws Oli covers the entire back and Snake gets the front. If Olimar grabs and I can't kill with it I just start hitting them to let my partner know I need his up tilt and get the KO.

I really think Peach may be a great teammate but I love the Olisnake team too much ATM.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Interesting, so people have had good results by picking characters that complement and/or capitalize on Snake's dominance in ground game, rather than making up for his weaknesses.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
If friendly fire is off then G&W and Snake are my favourite team. If it is on then Marth seems like a good candidate. Marth has combo potential and good air moves which Snake lacks. G&W and Snake are IMO the two best characters (and two of my mains) and with friendly fire off G&W doesn't have to worry about mortars and the nikita. Snake doesn't have to worry about the turtle, fishbowl and oil panic.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
That's kinda how it is for me. Also because of Olimar's crazy range with his smashes he can just smash as well as grab after a down throw from snake while protecting himself. I think that Snake can compliment him perfectly and sticking him with C4 is a very good way to get Olimar back if he's knocked off and can't tether. Also C4 on the edge that you won't be watching is a good way of keeping people off Olimar while he's recovering. Example, Someone grabs the edge while Olimar is just under it and hasn't used his up B, they can be knocked off with a C4 explosion and Olimar can recover/edgehog back.

There are ways of complimenting snake and there are ways he can compliment other characters like Olimar.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Me and my friend have won three teams tournaments with a double Snake team. Just think about it double the grenades. Double the Chuck Norris. Double the Manliness. Its amazing.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Yea I too enjoy going twin snakes ;) It needs no further explanation besides that two Snakes can do a plethora of devious things on the opposing team. If FF is off, mortar sliding in synch back and forth is ridiculously fun and pretty effective.

Nava

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight is good as long as he doesn't hit you on accident all the time. :laugh:

He racks up the damage, you kill with ftilt/utilt. You can keep lives too since you'll probably be living longer than MK.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Usually my friends and I go either twin Snakes or DDD/Snake.

DDD/Snake suck-in claymore edgeguard rules. ;}

napZzz

Smash Hero
snake and g&w is the best (i also main them) and they are both toooo strong. g&w's air game is so good and snake dominates the ground so this= ultimate stage control. make sure not to kill him though! lol a fun thing to do is stick your partner and let him run in and you can blow them up lol

SaxDude93

Smash Apprentice
I like Meta Knight as the best. His fast damage racking up moves are killer on opponents. The at a good percentage, MK can throw the foe to Snake for a free kill. Or Snake can rush in. Then there is the general "Stick C4 on your buddy, then have said buddy run in full throttle" Having someone go WTF after (seemingly) exploding at random is fun.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
ive only tried with metaknight and marth, it seems pretty good. im going to a tourney with an ike teammate, i hope it goes well!

napZzz

Smash Hero
lol let ike charge is neutral b and then throw people into it its perfect me and my friend do it alot.

Rejjae

Smash Apprentice
I've found lucario to be a really nice partner cuz he sets up opponents really well for snake's edgegaurds and he can keep one opponent at bay by simply dodging then throwing them away from you to stall while you finish the other one, and you can switch opponents pretty easily when one of them has % within your killing range. Lucario also seems to live almost as long as Snake, and can stall opponents to keep them from edgeguarding you.

OGsloane

Smash Rookie
I team with Falco. Falco arrow laser spams as Snake crawls under them to dtilt or ftilt, if timing is better than mine and my partners. Or they can compine the greatness of their projectiles to outcamp the opponent to death.

ih0tfirei

Smash Rookie
i think pichachu is the best partner for snake. thunder from pichachu puts people on the ground for snake to abuse. and i dont even want to mention edgeguards with both of them. just imagine motars with thunder

Rejjae

Smash Apprentice
Just for fun Snake+Sonic, stick him and let him run making a superfast bomb (Iraq want's their hands on this move o.O).

Double Snakes is pretty good (Broken x 2 FTW) but you don't have much of an air game that way.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I just tried it out and Wario is great when teamed with Snake. He's not very light so accidental explosions aren't feared as much, his aerials are nearly as good as G&W's when spaced well (some are better IMO such as Wario's dair), and they work much better for offstage edgeguarding, easily allowing Snake to setup for some mortar edge spam.

The Bite is incredible in stopping the opposing teams momentum due to the small frame of intial super armor, and Bite chasing is great since Snake can follow that with an tilt if timed well. The Wario saves his incredible fsmash until the opponent has tacked on a good deal of damage, and we all know that's Snake's specialty. Then it's just an fsmash/clap/surprise fart and they're goners.

Yea Wario is a beastly Snake team mate.

Top Bottom