• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Mention in the Nintendo Direct "What Do You Think It Means?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
http://youtu.be/j0BBGzfw0pQ?t=6m40s

"Were Again Going To Have Something Like The Snake Codecs In Brawl"

I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one caught off guard by them mentioning snake.
Especially when they didn't have to. Does this mean he's coming back?
Maybe not but if anything it's nice to see that they remember he was a part of Smash.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Its just referencing his unique feature from Brawl, he's gone.
Pit has taken his codec thing.

There was something like that in the Kid Icarus game on 3DS right?

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I feel that he is going to come back eventually like Mewtwo. Kojima did day that he was okay with him being in the new game. So it is definitely possible.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Well, since we know character DLC is something Nintendo is willing to do, who knows? Could mean anything.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
I think the fact that Pit now has it confirms that Snake won't come back.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
That's just a reference to his Codec conversation feature in which is now given to Pit. Snake is yesterday's news now.

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
As rad as that would be, I highly doubt it. As a few people said, It was just said to refer to it as a new system that was like the codec.

I feel that he is going to come back eventually like Mewtwo. Kojima did day that he was okay with him being in the new game. So it is definitely possible.
But if this information is true, who knows?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai bias strikes again. At least Star Fox gets a shot at this as well.
As well as Fire Emblem. It's more about the feature making sense within the context of that game/series than bias.

Last edited:

Mr G W

Smash Cadet
It means nothing.

They just used him as a reference to the similarities between pit's dialogues with snake's codecs.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I think Nintendo has been getting less coy over the years, especially recently. Like, before they wouldn't mention Snake because they don't want to bring it up so people won't think about it. As if, people would forget about it. But nowadays, they seem to be more frank, like you know Snake was in Brawl, they know Snake was in Brawl, don't be afraid to say it. I can't think of any other examples at the moment, but it's just something I've noticed from Nintendo lately, especially with their online videos.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
For those who were wonder about the comments early.
Here's the video they were talking about.

http://youtu.be/owxT2sAOJQw?t=29m24s
(Has the time mark set)

Summed Up
-Will Snake be in the new Smash Bros
-Translator Says "I'm not working on that game but I think it's unlikely
-Kojima interrupts in and translator says "However if sakurai is watching please use snaek"

So obviously snake in the main game was never planned.
But since we know DLC is a thing now. Might have been something brought up.

As I said in the OP while I am still on a low level of thinking he'll return.
I'll always believe.

Spirst

I'd love for him to appear but if anything, I feel like that acknowledgement hurts his chances even more. Yeah, they recognized he was a character, but they just took one of his character-unique features (which would have probably stayed unique if he was in) and gave it to Pit. With one uniquely Snake aspect out of the way, it leaves less importance to him returning.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I remember when people actually read posts.
I clearly stated what it more than likely meant and others have as well.
Haven't seen anything outlandish in here.

Nothing worthy of grasping at straws.
Not like we saw a spec of grass and said
"It's naked snake in a guile suit!"

Every veteran has a chance of returning unless proven otherwise like ice climbers.
Just obviously others are higher than some.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I think Snake could be in a future DLC pack. It's possible. I'm not going to get my hopes up, though, because third party characters are less likely. Being a Brawl vet helps, because the code is easier to transfer over and update.

I don't think the mentioning of Snake in this video was a reference to Snake's future inclusion, though.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I'm just bummed it isn't for Little Mac. I expect Doc to show up in Pit's codec for him though.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't think it confirms "Because Pit has it, no Snake". It is just a simple reference and name drop.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one caught off guard by them mentioning snake.
Maybe not but if anything it's nice to see that they remember he was a part of Smash.
It means whatever you wanted to hear. :awesome:

But seriously, it's nothing more than using Snake codecs as a basis for comparison.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I think it means Palutena's conversations with Pit will be like the codecs with Snake and his team, just like they said?...lock this puppy up

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I had this conversation on another forum and they brought up a good point.
How often if ever has smash ever directly mentioned cut characters at all aside from trophies?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

The fact that they named Snake's Codecs could be a hint of Snake's return, because they could've referenced Fox/Falco's Smash Taunt on Melee's Corneria, or Fox/Falco/Wolf's on Brawl's Lylat Cruise, which are both confirmed to be in either version of the game and thus, making it weirder that they mentioned Snake's Codec. Of course, unlike the Star Fox Taunts, the Codecs one is specific to one of the opponents, much like Palutena's Guidance.

LinkedKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkedKnight
3DS FC
4983-5008-2730
If snake does get back, I hope his announcement will just be a black screen, then you hear the words,
"Kept you waiting, huh" :snake:

Khao

Smash Lord
Doubt it means anything.

It doesn't exactly hurt his chances of being added as DLC sometime in the future, but it was really just an easy way to explain what Pit's conversations are all about, so right now, it changes nothing, it hints at nothing, and it means nothing. Snake could be coming, or he could be cut forever, but I doubt either would really change the codec comparison in any way.

It's kinda like the time Sakurai was explaining Mega Man's moveset, and directly mentioned Marvel vs Capcom to explain where his uppercut comes from. It's just to help him describe stuff, you wouldn't expect it to mean Marvel characters are gonna get added into the game.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Just because Snake is not in SSB4 is not a reason for denying that he appeared in Brawl IMO. The Kid Icarus "codecs" are similar to Snake's in Brawl, so I think the relation is valid.
Now, the confirmation of DLC helps Snake chances more. I just wish the sentiment was mutual and we could get some Metal Gear games on Nintendo and not just helping them with free promo. But that is another subject.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the fact that Pit now has it confirms that Snake won't come back.
That was going to happen regardless because Sakurai.

I'd love for Snake to come back, the only past character DLC I'd really care about (Wolf would be neat, but I never really played him), his absence is sorely felt in the 3DS version already.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
They're amazing but there's one still missing: Pokédex entries for every character explained by Prof. Oak.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
With Kid Icarus: Uprising being a dialogue-heavy game, it was almost a given something like this would happen.

I don't see how it's Sakurai bias, considering Star Fox had this sort of thing since Melee.

Pit's latest game just happens to have dialogue, just like the Star Fox and Metal Gear series. The Snake mention was just pointing out a similarity: Snake called his comrades for intel on his opponents, likewise, Pit calls Palutena for the same thing.

Pretty sure if Snake had returned, we'd have him with this sort of Easter Egg as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom