• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake in reality

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
I know most people on here have never played a Metal Gear game, so I thought I'd point this out. Whenever I see someone making quotes for Snake to use, they tend to have excess profane words in his speech. Whick brings me to a question:

Why do people think Snake cusses profusely, when in reality, he doesn't.
Snake's never used strong language in any Metal Gear game.

And most people think Snake "kills" people with "guns a' blazing"; no, he's not meant to. The object of Metal Gear is to hide and accomplish your mission with killing as few people as possible.
The less people Snake kills, the better rank he gets. Snake's about stealth, not death.
He knocks people out with tranquilizers and physical attacks; he doesn't blow their heads off.

I hope I've made my point and you see Snake differently.
He's not "some R-rated gung-ho action movie guy".

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Most people haven't played Metal Gear games on here?

I just haven't noticed, I guess.

But yeah, you're right. He's not this action hero that carries two assault rifles in both hands firing at the same time. In fact, he'll tell you he's no hero.

But still, you shouldn't let it bother you if people portray him like that. He is a bit more mature than the rest of the characters.

I mean, when he "kills" someone, you see blood. If Link "kills" someone, you see white flashes of light, and the body disappears.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
I think you're missing the fun of speculation.

He's the closest thing Brawl is getting to the "Real life Action Movie guy" (or Chuck Norris, if you watched the Brawl Ultimate Showdown vid), Nintendo is not going to put Arnold Schwarzenegger in Brawl.

So, Snake is instantly the butt of every "Now it's Personal"/"Eat S**t and Die"/"This Stage ain't big enough for the both of us" quip because he is the only one who can satisfy our Action Cliché urges.

Enjoy it! Metal Gear Solid is a great franchise, Kojima has already made the atmosphere of Snake's appearance candid with his Codec scenes - let the fun continue I say.

Crystallion

Smash Ace

He's the closest thing Brawl is getting to the "Real life Action Movie guy" (or Chuck Norris, if you watched the Brawl Ultimate Showdown vid), Nintendo is not going to put Arnold Schwarzenegger in Brawl.

So, Snake is instantly the butt of every "Now it's Personal"/"Eat S**t and Die"/"This Stage ain't big enough for the both of us" quip because he is the only one who can satisfy our Action Cliché urges.

Enjoy it! Metal Gear Solid is a great franchise, Kojima has already made the atmosphere of Snake's appearance candid with his Codec scenes - let the fun continue I say.
I completely agree. I mean, it IS fun how he's portrayed even though it might be wrong. And ****, I also wanted to mention Chuck Norris xD Oh well, this is the way of life I guess.

Just don't take it to heart, and as Leobenmc already said, let the fun continue. ^^v

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Also...

He doesn't eat everything in sight.

He's far from gay.

He's one of the coolest/complex characters made... not lame like CF, or Chuck Norris.

I wonder how much he'll change in Brawl considering that there's no place to hide...except for maybe Temple...
Oooo... Do you remember the original trailer for MGS4?

"No place to hide"

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
not lame like CF, or Chuck Norris.
You have sinned in the eyes of many. I hope you wake up to a roundhouse to knee combo. Then, and only then, will you achieve true enlightenment.

121DL3Y

Smash Cadet
I hope most people don't see him like that. And if it's true that most people haven't played the metal gear games, they should totally rethink. Once I saw Snake in brawl I played through all 3 MGS games and they're all amazing hahaha.

nindgod

Smash Journeyman

nice post ..

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... that makes me think.
Which game franchises have I played?

Mario
I have played many Mario game, way to many to count.
YoshiPlayed Super Mario World 2 and Yoshi's story for the 64
Donkey Kong I've played the original, most of the country/land games but I have yet to play any of the "bongo" games.
Wario I have played a few of his platformers, but I regretably haven't played any of his "Microgames"

Legend Of Zelda I've played and/or between every zelda game besides the ones that don't exist and this new "Link's Crossbow Training"

Metroid
I have played the main series of games and the first two prime games (I'll get to Corruption eventually)

Kirby I must admit I have not played many of his games, but the ones I have played I have loved. I am looking forward to his upcoming adventure on Wii

Starfox
I have played Starfox 64 and Starfox Adventures. Both were pretty fun.

Pokemon I have played all of the main games and many of the spin-offs. Still a fun series even if it is getting a little stale.

F-Zero I have only Played the 64 one and a demo of GX.
I'm not much of a fan of racing games so this series didn't do much for me.

Earthbound/Mother
I have yet to play any of these, although I will try to get them when I get the chance. They sound interesting

Ice Climbers I played this game in Animal crossing, pretty boring.

Fire Emblem Sadly I have yet to play any of these. As with Earthbound I plan on playing these eventually.

Game&Watch Like Ice Climbers I played this in ice climber,
kinda fun for a few seconds.

Kid Icarus I have this game on the VC, and it is HARD.
I still haven't gotten that far in it.

Animal Crossing I have played both the gamcube and DS versions, I should probably check on my town.

Sonic
I have played most if not all of the older ones. I haven't been able to play any of the ones released in the last couple of years. The PS3/360 game, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rivals, and the one for the wii. I probably won't glance twice at sonic riders.

Metal Gear
Ah Metal Gear such a wonderful franchise.
I have played: Metal gear, Metal Gear II Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid(and remakes/extras), Metal Gear Solid 2, Sons of Liberty(and remakes/extras)
Metal Gear Ac!d(no plans on pickling up the sequel), And Metal Gear Solid 3, Snake Eater(and remakes/extras)

Since I've been kinda ignoring my PSP, I haven't been able to get to Metal Gear Portable Ops. I do plan on picking up Portable Ops+ though, And MGS4 is easily my second most anticipated game of next year.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know that, I never said anything like that about Snake, I barely said anything at all about him, I really don't care much for him, but I have thought of him as that, thanks for clearing it out =P

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Thanx for the info on Snake. I want to play a MG game, but none are on Wii...:(

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
He's far from gay.
You're right. He's not gay. He's not straight either. He's not anything.

If you remember, he has all the sexual libido of a brick, according to a mind-reader. His pick-up lines are so horrible it has to be on purpose, yet everyone humors him anyway. He has very little experience with flirting/loving/etc men and women.

He's asexual. But it's not like bisexual characters don't exist in Metal Gear, so it's just being childish to say he can't possibly be slightly gay ever just because it doesn't fit with your world view.

This may amaze you, but not everyone who writes Snake/Otacon is just a mindless fangirl. :| I've seen some absolutely great Snake/Otacon and Snake/Meryl and Snake/Everyone that actually pays attention to the facts of good old asexual Snake, and writes the man perfectly.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Trust me, it's a lot better than people give it credit for. Not to mention you can unlock NiGHTS as a playable character, that's pretty much instant win.
I haven't actually read any reviews or opinions about it.
Racing games just bore me most of the time.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
When I first saw Snake in MGS, I entered with the assumption he would be a gruff action hero, Chuck Norris-esque. I was a bit confused at first, but came to like his personality. I think people are very narrowminded when it comes to action heroes, with everyone falling somewhere between John McClane and Rambo.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
I posted this in s different thread(WWSD) but I figured that it pertains to this topic somehow.

FOR THOSE THAT DONT GET JOKES ABOUT SNAKE EATING THINGS(I assume their really are sum.)

In Metal GEar SOlid 3, you play in a prequel as, not snake, but big boss. But they're clones anyway so who cares?
AnywaY, in the game you have various codec transmissions with your team, like the ones you've seen. The big catch in snake-eater was that da boss was on his own....in a jungle.... in russia...... in 1950. SO he's not exactly gonna be able to just get mcdonalds. SO he has to hunt, kill and cook his own food, like a real man. SO throughout the game, whenever he would spot some random wildlife, you could call up someone on your codec and ask about it. Although it usually came down to "CAn I eat it?" or "whats it taste like?" TO the disgust of his teammates. He asked this cause he couldn't just eat anything. SNack on the wrong species and snake what get sick ], throw up, and be less effective in battle.
SO as you can see, it's not really random at all and makes perfect sense within the context of the previous game.

You've just been schooled, Dojo style.

Dragothel

Smash Journeyman

I haven't seen this, if anyone has a link of this video, could you post it? Thanks

Tom-Sawyer

Smash Cadet
Metal gear solid: the twin snakes is one of my favorite games :p

Anyway yeah, it's very true that snake is nothing like that in his own series of games. But, his false portrayal definitely does add extra personality and humor to him! ever since the box was lifted, smashers around the world though " wow a bad ***". Insanely amazing.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I know most people on here have never played a Metal Gear game, so I thought I'd point this out. Whenever I see someone making quotes for Snake to use, they tend to have excess profane words in his speech. Whick brings me to a question:

Why do people think Snake cusses profusely, when in reality, he doesn't.
Snake's never used strong language in any Metal Gear game.

And most people think Snake "kills" people with "guns a' blazing"; no, he's not meant to. The object of Metal Gear is to hide and accomplish your mission with killing as few people as possible.
The less people Snake kills, the better rank he gets. Snake's about stealth, not death.
He knocks people out with tranquilizers and physical attacks; he doesn't blow their heads off.

I hope I've made my point and you see Snake differently.
He's not "some R-rated gung-ho action movie guy".
Yeah it's amazing how many people think MGS is a "shooting" game. On the hardest difficulties, you lose if you get seen.

Rajun Cajun

Smash Rookie
I don't want to seem like an idiot, and I have played the Metal Gear games so I know how little shooting and exploding actually goes on if you do it right, but I thought I'd throw in a little tidbit about his "action hero" status. The original Snake character (from the Metal Gear games that came before solid) was based on Michael Biehn from the terminator for the cover art, and Mel Gibson (Lethal Weapon) for the in-game portrait, and then when snake got a face lift for solid he was based on Jean-Claude Van Damme. Even his NAME is an action movie tribute.

Basically, Kojima is a huge action movie buff, and this part of Metal Gear's heritage can't be completely ignored. Sure the snake we know is way more surreptitious and cunning than your run of the mill blockbuster badass, but... come on.

(anyone wondering where all this pseudoknowledge came from should know that it doesn't take long on wikipedia to see everything I just told you)

Top Bottom