• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Date: Double Tuesday

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Too wicked. I liked Snake being in the game but, to me, he didn't look like a good character till now. I'm looking foward to trying him out.
This is why we can't really judge any character (like Diddy or PT) until we've played them. The B moves that are shown on the website are such a small section of what makes a character good or bad it's all but impossible to tell if they're good or not just from those.

Did anybody else catch the quick shot of the baseball bat and Mr. Saturn? Guess that means there in. First post here!
Good point. Does Mother 3 have Mr. Saturn in it? I know Earthbound does, but they're obviously different games. Just... ya know... wondering? :)

Also, I never thought that Zamus is only an "after-final-smash" deal. I feel confident that she'll be selectable. Possibly in the Zelda/Sheik fashion, but I'm kinda leaning more towards the theory that Zamus is her own character, and Samus is her own but that Samus turns into Zamus after using a Final Smash until she dies, after which it's Samus again. That's my theory. Could be wrong on the method, especially with Snake's comment today seeming to link the two even more, but who knows?

Too much work was put into making Zamus for it to be such limited use as "only after doing a Final Smash." That's my opinion on the matter, at least.

There is still so much win to be analyzed from this update, and it's almost tomorrow!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Know what I just realized from watching the AWESOME new Snake trailer for the millionth time today just now?

Look at the short snippet just before the Super Smash Bros. Brawl logo flashes. That isn't a edited animation, it's the second half of Snake's dSmash. Now, without a doubt, I know Snake will have a SUPER disjointed hitbox now. Basically, it's another way for this guy to have another special move! Sure it's awesome, but... unfairness much? And it looks like Snake's Box acts like an item. But I don't see how it could be so heavy that Mario needs to bend his knees to hold and throw it.
maybe because his cardborad box wa only meant for snake lol, but yeah snake and the cardboard box are gonna PWN in brawl, can't wait for more another double or triple update

WAAASSSUUUPP

Smash Apprentice
This was epic. ****, I'm going to try and main everybody, but Snake is too awesome. I like the japanese voice better though, maybe it's because I heard it first and I'm too spoiled from anime. The english voice seems too forced to me. ****, Snake has the ultimate edgeguard. Plant a mine near the edge, then use the missle to keep them off the edge XD

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
I must admit, I was doubting Snake until these past few updates.
Last update I was left wondering how he would do something as time consuming as digging a mine. However, it seems like Snake can plant the mine and then set it off remotely. What an edgeguarding strategy! Plant a mine on the edge and blast it off when your opponent attempts to recover. The gameplay footage looks sweet as well.
And the Metal Gear stage looks amazing. All in all this update was a solid 10/10

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
When Snake and possible third party characters were announced, I thought it would ruin the game. I figured that it would look so unnatural for some of the characters floating around, rumored to be in, to actually be in.

Snake? Come on, who saw that coming? But they did a very good job incorporating him into the game and making him look like he belongs there. His moves seem smooth and fitting.

I can't' wait to see what else they've done. Any time I doubt something, they prove me wrong.

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
im sticking with the metal gear attack theory for his fs, like on his stage, but more epic. at any rate, i wonder how those codec scenes will incorporate into the game. like will it be a move, a taunt, or something only used in singleplayer

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Good point. Does Mother 3 have Mr. Saturn in it? I know Earthbound does, but they're obviously different games. Just... ya know... wondering? :)
_ :chuckle: _ :chuckle: _ :chuckle: _ :chuckle: _ :chuckle: _
:chuckle:_Nope, just Earthbound._:chuckle:

All in all this update was a solid 10/10
I think you mean that this update was a "Metal Gear" solid 10/10!
Har har har!

what would Snake's FS be???? setting off a giant bomb or something?????
Snake calls out a Metal Gear, OR Raiden comes along to help with his nifty katana (if he's not already an AT).

EDIT:
BAMF= BadAss Mother... Funnelcake

RAQU

Smash Apprentice
Oh ****z.

Snake should be High tier material.

AND we know shield bubble is in the game again. But it seems like it has sound this time.
shielding always made a sound. in SSB it was a clicking sound and in Melee it was a sound similar to "Blub" of "Bluh"

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
:chuckle:_Nope, just Earthbound._:chuckle:

I think you mean that this update was a "Metal Gear" solid 10/10!
Har har har!

Snake calls out a Metal Gear, OR Raiden comes along to help with his nifty katana (if he's not already an AT).

EDIT:
BAMF= BadAss Mother... Funnelcake
LOL Ok ok I think i knowhat BAMF means now XDDD LOL

EDIT and Mother two also had Mr. Saturn... i think :S

Edit: Ok........Y did I just pictured Snake doing the Macarena??????????? O_o

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
LOL Ok ok I think i knowhat BAMF means now XDDD LOL

EDIT and Mother two also had Mr. Saturn... i think :S

Edit: Ok........Y did I just pictured Snake doing the Macarena??????????? O_o
1) Glad I could clear that up for you.
2) Mother2 IS Earthbound you fool! You n00b! You no0l! You f0ob!
3) ...I don't really know... but knock that off. Crazy random kid.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Does Sakurai actually think this game is going to get an E rating? Not only have we seen snake "cracking" Mario's neck, and we've seen about the same level of violence in Melee... snake threatened to EAT YOSHI! Come on! That's horrible. lol.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Just noticed Mario didn't stand up after the neck snap. Think it's an instant kill? Like, using that move removes that player from the game disc?

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Just noticed Mario didn't stand up after the neck snap. Think it's an instant kill? Like, using that move removes that player from the game disc?
i dont think the moves that good. I bet it paralyzes the person like mewtwo's disble.

Also the cardboard box with snake in a fetal position all about?

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
1) Glad I could clear that up for you.
2) Mother2 IS Earthbound you fool! You n00b! You no0l! You f0ob!
3) ...I don't really know... but knock that off. Crazy random kid.
1. (^^)v
2.I KNOW EARTHBOUND IS MOTHER2!!! I WAS JUST MENTIONING THE JAPANESE VERSION AS WELL!!!! call me a noob again and u will get the biggest Betchslap of your life! >=D
3. ITS MONEY, SAKURAI, SUPER SMASH BROS., AND RANDOMNESS THAT MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND U FOOL!!! >=D

Edit: Also What would u consider Snake as???
American as Apple Pie?
Japanese as Sushi?
or Japanerican as Sushi Pie?????? XDDDDD XP

salmonofdoubt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2628-7737
I'm disappointed in the regular bloggers of this site. I expected a full analysis of the physics and gameplay elements that this abnormally long gameplay video has revealed. I don't know enough about programming and game design to do it myself, but it would be awesome if someone else would, instead of just pointing out shallow, obvious things about it.

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
Not only did he snap someones neck and threaten to eat his fellow players, but Snake also wanted to strip off his clothes and 'catch' *wink* Zero Suit Samus :D

I think it will be rated T 4 Teen.

-Link-

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Did the mods just not give us a thread for wednesday's update? I guess I'll just include it in this post since I hadn't commented on tuesday's update yet either...

Shadow Moses looks pretty nice. I think I can say it's one of the stages that I really look forward to playing on. Seems pretty basic yet with enough quirks to it to make it not Final-Destination-boring. I'm curious what exactly the spotlight will do to you, though.

The video was excellent and I wrote a pretty in-depth dissection of it, picking apart clips and giving my ideas on what's what, about an hour after the update. Although honestly, I didn't post it here on SWF because I knew it would get flooded away by stupid posts and that no one would ever read it.

But the two big things I got out of it were two Special Moves: Snake's down special will be planting the remote mine, while using his down special again will detonate it, as you see him do in the second scene of the movie. Wario's standard special seems to be an inhale-like ability that can swallow physical projectiles (so a physical PSI Magnet). There may or may not be a damage-over-time component applied to opponents caught in the bite.

As a side-thought, referring to the first thing shown in Snake's footage: return of entrances plox?

For today's update, I personally thought the addition of sprite ATs is cute and nostalgic, like Andross was. However, if they overuse this idea I can see it becoming cheesey and lame. I think there'll be enough ATs to balance that out, though.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Hey, does anyone know if Charles Martinet is voicing Mario again for Smash? (And Galaxy for that matter.) I know it seem like a given, but it's not like he can't just up and retire one of these days. I just wasn't sure from the tiny little voice snippet in the trailer, if that was Mario's usual voice or not.

Also, it's late to say, but I'm glad the shield bubble has returned, though I'm not sure how it wouldn't.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Hey, does anyone know if Charles Martinet is voicing Mario again for Smash? (And Galaxy for that matter.) I know it seem like a given, but it's not like he can't just up and retire one of these days. I just wasn't sure from the tiny little voice snippet in the trailer, if that was Mario's usual voice or not.

Also, it's late to say, but I'm glad the shield bubble has returned, though I'm not sure how it wouldn't.
Why of Course Charles Martinet will voice for Mario...He's also doing the voice for Wario as well so yeah (^^)v:)

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I was thinking:

What would be so distracting about Snake signaling his FOXHOUND members? Yes, if it took up the whole screen I could see it being bothersome and getting in the way of the fight, but what if it's done like with PT's FS or Fox/Falco's secret taunt on Corneria?

EDIT:
The Fox/Falco thing wasn't too distracting. It just took away the damage counters for a little bit and then went right away.

And now I have a question that I can't believe I never thought about before:
If they managed to get Fox and Falco's voice actors for the secret taunt, why couldn't they have their voice actors voice them in the english setting of the game?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I was thinking:

What would be so distracting about Snake signaling his FOXHOUND members? Yes, if it took up the whole screen I could see it being bothersome and getting in the way of the fight, but what if it's done like with PT's FS or Fox/Falco's secret taunt on Corneria?
indeed it would be distracting if it were to take the whole screen while playing smash, but I believe it should appear at the top of the screen since it wouldn't cover up the damage counters, or possibly pausing the game to do so (just like in the MGS games)

And now I have a question that I can't believe I never thought about before:
If they managed to get Fox and Falco's voice actors for the secret taunt, why couldn't they have their voice actors voice them in the english setting of the game?
which secret taunt do you actually mean? the one where you change the game setting to Japenese or the one that had to be done in Corneria? because i'm a bit confused about what you mean to ask lol :)

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I mean it's not that unbelievable... you did notice they sound exactly alike. Even Luigi's Down-B was actually a rip of Mario's from 64, if I'm not mistaken.

Top Bottom