• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake can gay Ike pretty badly... I need help

GenG

Smash Lord
He has AAA and ftilt combos faster and stronger than yours, they can kill at 100% on the sides of stages like Battlefield and Final Destination.
Mines and grenades are the gayest thing ever, they stop quickdraw approaches (aka grandviper) forcing Ike to walk, run and jump, and thus becoming more predictable. And since Ike has no multihitting moves, Snake can simply dodge your air moves and punish, or see how you eat the explosive.
Snake can set a mine in front of him and nikita camp you, forcing you to approach by air, canceling the missile and counter-attacking you afterwards.
Usmash is lame. I mean, you hit him, but the missile comes down and hits you because Ike's afterlag.
His explosives in general are very strong, and Ike has a problem with projectiles in general.

Snake is the worst matchup for me as Ike so far. He can plant mines, C4, drop grenades, throw short-fused grenades to stop your movement, Nikita camp, is better than Ike in close quarters...

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
It's been rather apparent that Ike has a pretty bad matchup against Snake and Projectile-based characters. If you still want to play as Ike, I recommend playing defensively. Have Snake come to you instead of making the approach. He can only force you to move so much.

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet
It's been rather apparent that Ike has a pretty bad matchup against Snake and Projectile-based characters. If you still want to play as Ike, I recommend playing defensively. Have Snake come to you instead of making the approach. He can only force you to move so much.
And the guided missiles...?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm pretty sure you can roll over grenades and pick them up or just run and pick them up with a dash attack.

As for the Nikita. Just roll past it.

Snake takes a moment to put his launcher away. Use that time to close in with quick draw.

If he planted a mine then I'm pretty sure you can roll over to blow it up and you will take no damage.

Also it is obvious that Snake's ground game is better then Ike's, but Ike out ranges Snake in terms of close quarters combat. So space yourself well for your A combo.

When coming in from the air, try using more Nairs. Nair has no land lag and the range is only slightly less then Fair.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Personally, I believe Ike has a harder time with Dedede. <.<

I never have fought a Snake yet though but I totally can see what you're saying.

GenG

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you can roll over grenades and pick them up or just run and pick them up with a dash attack.

As for the Nikita. Just roll past it.

Snake takes a moment to put his launcher away. Use that time to close in with quick draw.

If he planted a mine then I'm pretty sure you can roll over to blow it up and you will take no damage.

Also it is obvious that Snake's ground game is better then Ike's, but Ike out ranges Snake in terms of close quarters combat. So space yourself well for your A combo.

When coming in from the air, try using more Nairs. Nair has no land lag and the range is only slightly less then Fair.
Those are nice tips. The only things I'm still having issues with are the mines, which are placed in a way that I can't roll past over them since Snake has spaced them to punish my roll.

I can't pick all grenades since some of them are timed to explode in my face. It's a bit hard to me to avoid all of this while paying attention to where Snake is planting what, in some stages the mine is very hard to see. I'll try to roll more past the explosions, something I didn't do.

I'm not sure if Ike out ranges Snake in close quarters. Snake ftilt comes quickly, has very good priority, range and power. He can cancel his AA jabs into ftilt which pisses me off.

I could win as Fox but it's not the same. I must win as Ike next time.

You have a sword. You can hit the guided missles.
Even if you hit the missile you don't destroy them in the spot. They can still fall, explode and hurt you.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I know Ike can cancel his jabs too.

Can you test something for me?

See if Ike can jab cancel in Aether, u-tilt, grab and d-smash.

If Ike can do either one of these it greatly increases his options.

GenG

Smash Lord
Ike can cancel his jabs into anything, but the pre-lag of the following attack may be too high. So yes, you can combo into any of these moves, but it depends on the distance between the characters and the stun of the second jab. Because that, sometimes the grab won't work.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, **** the grab. Jab to aether works?

Or jab jab to aether.

Jab jab to d-smash works?

Do you know what that means?

Ike would now have a reliable damage builder since Aether does around 25%. And a reliable combo into a kill move. D-smash kills around 100% I think.

This may very well push Ike into the low end of top tier if this stuff works.

GenG

Smash Lord
Aether doesn't seem to work, you can block the rising sword and roll over the falling strike.

Dsmash works fine at any percentage since Ike's first 2 jabs seem to have fixed knockback. But you must be sure that the guy doesn't block the jab or the after lag will screw you over.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That's not a problem since you can hit confirm. Do the two jabs and if the second one hits shield cancel into d-smash.

Ike is officially high tier.

It's not even debatable anymore.

Also his jab combo alone is a decent damage builder so not being able to go into Aether isn't a big deal.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No he isn't.

He is weird. Running speed is average, but quick draw gives him a crap load of mobility.

Also who said slow means bad?

Ever seen Potemkin in Guilty Gear or Zangeif in Alpha 3?

Viable options and good strats makes a character good. Not speed. Speed is a bonus.

Look at Chipp Zanuff in Guilty Gear. Fastest character with pretty much the best rush down.

He is bottom tier.

Why? His options aren't as good and he sucks at doing damage.

Ike has very fast moves and very slow moves. Stick to the fast moves and he *****.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Ever seen Potemkin in Guilty Gear or ...?
THANK YOU. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way. I don't want to bring it up because someone will come along and cry about them being two totally different games but still.

I believe some people make Ike out to be too slow for his speed. When I played as Ike about a week ago or whatever, he actually seemed perfect to me, or in specific, his speed actually felt good to me. I'm not saying he's fast, but still.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
We need to see of Ike can jab cancel into u-tilt since that kills better then his d-smash.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman

Sorry, had to reply this because of the title.
I'm also taking notes because I may end up playing Ike a lot.

Fe Lords

Smash Cadet
You can jab cancel into utilt and ftilt, havent tried fsmash but I think it'll work since fsmash has SAF and it knocks them into the air so the'll have to airdodge it or they'll DIE from Ike's awesome power and Ike is High tier

GenG

Smash Lord
I tested jab cancels today against real people (the Snake) and you can chain grabs (sometimes the distance was a bit off and didn't grab) and dsmash (works wonders). Utilt worked once, then he blocked all of them. Ftilt is too slow for chaining.

He still gayed me though. I can't get close with those nasty AAA and ftilt moves.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, but d-smash is doable.

Great, perfect.

This means Ike can kill reliably.

Snake might just have advantage in the match-up but I'm just suped that Ike can combo into a kill move.

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
Hey Emblem Lord, nice to see that you'll be helping out the Ike boards. Your advice in th Marth boards was always of great assistance and I can only assume you'll continue to be as insightful. Also, I'm happy to see someone who is serious about tourney play and all that speaking up.(Some of th topics recently have been equivalent to that of the Roy boards)

Anyway, I havent had the chance to play Ike yet sadly but from what I've seen of him the only advice I can give to the topic matter is to maybe use an aerial eruption to aproach over the mines. Use the SAF to your advantage. Or maybe even an aerial quickdraw right over the mine, but, as I've said, I haven't played yet so those may not be viable options. Best of luck with the Snake problem GenG.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
LOLOL I find this thread kinda funny

LOLOL You can counter the land mines and theres nothing snake can do about it. I don't have any problem with Snake for some reason but umm maybe it's just me and my awesomeness. Also for grenades I just catch them and throw them back...eventually the snake will get the picture and stop spamming grenades. after that it's just a matter of hand to hand fighting...atleast that's how my Ike vs Snake matches go.

As for the dynamite it never seems to be a problem to me. For some reason I never get hit by one ...as long as i have control that is. I only get hit with one when I stop paying attention and forget where one is..but that rarely happens. It's just a matter of paying attention. Also the nikita missiles or whatever.....what I do is just run straight towards them shorthop and air dodge...even if he cancels it you're already past the missile and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Oh and just FAIR him out of his upb with proper spacing it will prevent him from hitting you with NAIR or FAIR. If you see him going for the edge just drop down and edgehog it's not like he'll hit you..let him pass through you then jump on the stage with a fair if you have the dexterity to.

Goodluck guy with your Snake problems lol. Also whoever wants to Ike ditto me online needs to im me on AIM @ "xsilvenx" ^_^

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Good strats Silven. You know what's up, and this is why I've showed others your Samus videos to promote high level gaming within Smash.

I'm adding you on AIM. Not really because of Ike, but more because of Samus since I plan on being one of the best with her along with Marth, Ike, Luigi and Falco, so I look forward to fighting you very much.

I know for those who see my posts a lot I may seem like a broken record, but Silven, please sign up to the two smash leagues for online play. They both need more gamers who know what's up.

www.wifiwars.com
www.smashbrawlrankings.com

others who don't know about either definitely check them out. For wifiwars make sure that you not only sig up, but reserve your smash league name.

These both seem like they will offer great services for those looking to compete online and are looking to meet people in the same region to compete offline as welll.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
LOLOL You can counter the land mines and theres nothing snake can do about it. I don't have any problem with Snake for some reason but umm maybe it's just me and my awesomeness. Also for grenades I just catch them and throw them back...eventually the snake will get the picture and stop spamming grenades. after that it's just a matter of hand to hand fighting...atleast that's how my Ike vs Snake matches go.

As for the dynamite it never seems to be a problem to me. For some reason I never get hit by one ...as long as i have control that is. I only get hit with one when I stop paying attention and forget where one is..but that rarely happens. It's just a matter of paying attention. Also the nikita missiles or whatever.....what I do is just run straight towards them shorthop and air dodge...even if he cancels it you're already past the missile and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Oh and just FAIR him out of his upb with proper spacing it will prevent him from hitting you with NAIR or FAIR. If you see him going for the edge just drop down and edgehog it's not like he'll hit you..let him pass through you then jump on the stage with a fair if you have the dexterity to.

Goodluck guy with your Snake problems lol. Also whoever wants to Ike ditto me online needs to im me on AIM @ "xsilvenx" ^_^
These strategies probably work for you, I dunno, but Snake can easily overcome your counters. He can hold grenades until the timer is short enough to make them explode on impact so you can't throw them back, and if he cancels his Nikita short of hitting you, you could shorthop airdodge into the resulting explosion.

Trying to ledgehop a fair will just get you a bair in the face, as will fairing him during an up-B. He just has to airdodge, fastfall, and bair you off the stage. Then follow up with a gimp.

There is not a formula you can follow for beating people in Smash. What works for you against your friends probably doesn't work on other people. Snake can gay Ike really easy.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So wait....if Ike suffers a lot against Snake, what about Marth out of curiosity? He to has got to be countered against someone! =P

Ike can do the freaking Jab to Downsmash!? My god, I'm so gonna love playing him. I'm a Mario main btw. It's something I do a lot.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
<double post>

EDIT: The heck...my posts are doing something really weird. Excuse me if I double posted....or something...it seems one of my posts disappeared on me...or something. X_X

EDIT2: WTF?! Reappears on the third page? I couldn't even access it until I posted this one! Wow.

GenG

Smash Lord
Marth isn't that difficult, and when I mean difficult, I mean that, even if Marth is superior, Ike can hold his own against him with jabs and spaced nairs for example, and then trying to finish him with other moves (seriously, any of them can work depending on the situation). Even against characters like Metaknight and Pit.

Snake isn't just an extremely annoying tactician, but also a power hitter. Maybe I'm sounding a bit n00bish here but the ftilt is just an overpowered move in my book for a long range character, I mean, Samus has WORSE projectiles, WORSE mobility overall and she's WEAKER than Snake. XSilvenX said to jump-evade the nikitas, but I don't know if that's gonna work all the time. Snake can deploy his mindgames cancelling the missile at the end of your jump, or just cancel and move out of the way. I can't pick grenades because they are timed to explode in my face, even the ones in the floor. It's like Snake could set a proximity mine, a remote mine and two extra timed mines. And then the Nikita.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
Yea i would say that if your alot better then someone then you can usually beatem dispite charicter advantages over others. I think The real problem comes when snake starts sheild dropping his grenades. when your about to strike. Just use your disjointed hitbox to take out his projectiles and grab when he trys to sheild drop grenades.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
@Metamarth: You realize Ike is slower than Bowser, and much stronger as well, right? You also show a complete lack of understanding about Ike altogether. >_>

I myself find pwning Snake if he ends up getting lured in close because avoid projectiles from a distance can be easy enough.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
I ain't played yet but I'll give you the "RoK approach" on things.

First off, turn tragedy into triumph, learn how to play with Ike better and start paying attention to your opponent mid-game. Once you get close to him; grab and down thrown to aether, if he D'I's away from that, don't worry about it and pursue. Stay on his nuts. Use Hyphen Smashes as well as your RAR's. He still is slow from Nikita camping. I know you can't quick draw approach THIS SHOULDN'T be a major part of you rgame in the first place. Use Aether When coming down to stop him if he wants to dodge and try to hit you; hold it out for a bit then hit him with that, Once you do that; Quick draw To chase him while he's stunned so he can't activiate that mine. **** him.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Are you telling a story or what?

This is about how to play against Snake using Ike, not about how you saw someone beat a Snake with an Ike once.

Advice like "use Aether" won't work every time so it's pretty useless. You can't just tell people to hit Snake a bunch without considering the other player and how he might react.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
These strategies probably work for you, I dunno, but Snake can easily overcome your counters. He can hold grenades until the timer is short enough to make them explode on impact so you can't throw them back, and if he cancels his Nikita short of hitting you, you could shorthop airdodge into the resulting explosion.

Trying to ledgehop a fair will just get you a bair in the face, as will fairing him during an up-B. He just has to airdodge, fastfall, and bair you off the stage. Then follow up with a gimp.

There is not a formula you can follow for beating people in Smash. What works for you against your friends probably doesn't work on other people. Snake can gay Ike really easy.
LOLOL I want to play the Snake player that's gaying Ike.

Top Bottom