• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake can gay Ike pretty badly... I need help

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
I often play a friend with a very good snake, the score is still in my favor but i still have a hard time fighting him. i'll try to give you my general strategy in the most concise way possible.

snake is a character that has it all, great dash attack, great AAA, great projectiles, great tilts.

since snake is a character that can go either way i recommend you start the match by analyzing the way he moves. all snakes have a preset style and they adhere by this style thru the match.

lets start with the meat of his game.

Grenade: a good snake wont throw a grenade that can be thrown back at him, he will try to let the counter on the grenade run out as much as possible before throwing it
- dont catch the grenade
- keep an eye for how the grenade bounces
- if you see snake charge a grenade let him throw it at you, block it. now he will try to
A: rush you, see ahead of time if he is doing a dash attack and keep blocking or
side-step dodge his grab
B: another projectile, 95% of the time its a grenade, since the last time he threw a
grenade you learned the trajectory of the grenade 70% of the time the trajectory
will be the same as last time so approach knowing this knowledge.

Nikita: great move too bad it can only fly fast if its going straight, a good snake will use this mostly for set ups and a killer edge guard.

-when using quickdraw you can strike the missile and make it go above you, however an
experienced snake will predict this and make the missile fly straight up then drop, your lag
will stop you in your tracks and if snake dropped the missile correctly it will fall on you.
- beware nikita fire when coming back to the stage using QD(quickdraw) you might strike
the missile and like he author of this topic said "get gayed by snake"
- the snake i fight likes to let his nikita circle around the edge, while this works on some
characters you dont need to worry if you are coming back to the stage using Aether
- Nikitas have a lot of after lag so dont be afraid to full jump or SH full jump a missile to
land with a Fair.

Remote Mine: this is a pretty minimal move and is mostly used for mindgames i bet all snakes use it in their own ways but if you are fighting a snake that is trigger happy with this move make him think that he can actually get you with it, when he detonates that gives you about 1 second to punish(more than enough)

Cypher: Jesus Mutha****ing Christ!!! this recovery is annoying, try to grab cypher. however most snakes already know of this gimp so they will likely try to keep away from the edge when using this so either they:
jump backwards -> cypher (below stage)
jump -> cypher (when coming back from high trajectory)

since this recovery leaves snake really open(its slow) and snake's Air moves leave something to be desired(english: suck) snake will most likely come out of this move with an air dodge, read it and punish. also as a sidenote try to rack up the damage, even if it wont kill him just keep pulling moves on him or bring him down with aether.

okay so now the specials are covered what are the other annoying moves, well that is his AAA combo and his Ftilts, MUTHER****ING OVERPOWERED.

AAA combo: Jesus ****ing Christ, this **** WILL kill you! so try to stay away from it, you can actually clash your AAA with his but his will win so after 2 clashed jabs just stop jabbing and go for an aerial or pull something with range on his ***.
the camping snake will use this moves like it is going out of fashion so approach with a Fair, Nair, or dashing shield grab. overall just be aware of this move.

FTilts: just stay away, hope you are not at hight percentage if hit. also i've been able to shield after the first strike of his Ftilt, pull something with range if he misses.

grabs: a quick note on grabs, while they are not particularly deadly you will want to watch out for Fthrow and Bthrow into a proxy mine. and stay away from being grabbed since it till **** your momentum.

Smashes

UpSmash: hard to connect but might mess with your QD, also a warning to not try to come back down from the air trying to swing at snake( you get launched in the air and instead of DI'ing to a safe area you try to go towards snake with a Dair) <--bad move.

DSmash: dont pay much attention to this move either just let it be or if you have the time take it out with a counter. most of the time snake will try throw you into it, not a bad idea if you do the same.

FSmash: just like your Fsmash this thing is deathly so dont get hit, also if you see snake charging it and have the time try to counter the move for free %.

most of snakes moves to be afraid of are ground moves but 2 of his air moves deserve a special spot.

Bair: holy **** sticks! this thing is strong and will likely only be used only if you on the air yourself.
Uair: see Bair, now turn it 90 degrees.

for the most part of the match your Nair and Fair are going to be your best friends, just be careful and keep one eye on snake and another his projectiles, dont use QD as much as you normally would and just try to rack up the damage and wait for an opportunity.

im pretty sure i missed a couple of things while writing this, mostly due to it being 4 a.m and me only having had 3 hours of sleep for the past 27 hours. so if you got any questions shoot some on this thread.

GenG

Smash Lord
You simply summed up my problems. It seems that we fight very similar Snakes! I'll try those things, plus rolling past mines to activate them, and capitalize over nikita cancel.

I also want to try well spaced dash attacks next time to see if he can't counter them.

RAQU

Smash Apprentice
My 2 cents

fight psycho ******. he's an awesome snake player
although it was a friendly i beat psycho ****** in a match against his snake using my ike.

so i dunno maybe he wasnt playing his hardest. but if he was that means ike players have some hope still. assuming psycho is really that good of a snake (which i think he is).

i mostly got thru his spam with perfect shielding (formerly called power shielding) it works nicely if u can do it consistently(of course combine it with other approach strategies). as for the grenades i just kept an eye on how long he held it to see if i wanted to grab it or shield.

this works against quite a few players but its purely mind games and is decent for building damage. im sure others have thought of this but ill say it anyways cuz this can go for any char. a little something that worked wonders for my Link in melee.

jab pause jab pause (use as many as u think will work) when you think hes gonna grab/attack you anticipating the pause follow thru with the full AAA combo.

note: this is not a spammable thing but its nice to work in every now and then for some easy extra damage. cuz im sure all us ike usuers know its nice to build up damage with non-KO moves and have all our other moves at max power. it makes KOing stupidly easy with almost all attacks

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
Technically its all mind games. Thats the way Snake is meant to be played. I will have a hard time if he is tempted to come it and power house him at the wrong times. Thats why its important to first understand the way Snake moves and the way his attacks work. Then one can create a counter to his playing style.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
although it was a friendly i beat psycho ****** in a match against his snake using my ike.

so i dunno maybe he wasnt playing his hardest. but if he was that means ike players have some hope still. assuming psycho is really that good of a snake (which i think he is).

i mostly got thru his spam with perfect shielding (formerly called power shielding) it works nicely if u can do it consistently(of course combine it with other approach strategies). as for the grenades i just kept an eye on how long he held it to see if i wanted to grab it or shield.

this works against quite a few players but its purely mind games and is decent for building damage. im sure others have thought of this but ill say it anyways cuz this can go for any char. a little something that worked wonders for my Link in melee.

jab pause jab pause (use as many as u think will work) when you think hes gonna grab/attack you anticipating the pause follow thru with the full AAA combo.

note: this is not a spammable thing but its nice to work in every now and then for some easy extra damage. cuz im sure all us ike usuers know its nice to build up damage with non-KO moves and have all our other moves at max power. it makes KOing stupidly easy with almost all attacks
you also have to take in the fact that brawl hasnt been out too long
so snake players might even come out with more tactics to annoy ike or vice versa.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
new snake technique courtesy of my friend:

backwards grenade hold: basically he holds the grenade while facing away from you. do not i repeat DO NOT hit snake if you are at high damage, the grenade will explode and damage you both.

grenade drop: scary if used right, its a timed mine that doesnt suck. feel free to pick up and throw if you think you got the time.

Top Bottom