• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake and Sonic Join the Brawl

gmony

Smash Rookie
I don't know about you, but I am a punk who gets stuck in those video games that came out fifty years ago that only me and my friends find interesting. I am also that kind of punk that likes how you would say "following the rules". Snake and Sonic enrage me, none of them are Nintendo only characters. Especially Snake, in fact, he is not only not all Nintendo, but he is all Playstation/sony. Sonic at least has a stand on Nintendo consoles such as the Gamecube and wii. But it doesn't matter, even if mario were all of a sudden on the xbox 360 or ps3 (god forbid) then I would say he shouldn't be included in the next Smash Bros. Title, after all, thats what smash bros is all about, Nintendo characters. I am not saying Snake and Sonic are evil characters (well actually, I do have a thing against Snake), all I am saying is that they aren't part of the family. Even if Master Chief was in Brawl (and those of you who don't know who he is, well theirs gonna be a problem), I would still be pretty enraged. I mean, he is the ultimate hero, but he IS NOT NINTENDO. Basically, just tell me what you think about this.

TamOtter

Smash Cadet
They fit in. They're in the game. Snake was actually supposed to be in Melee, but they didn't have time.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
SEGA will probably be bought out by Nintendo in the next decade anyway... as if it has happened already. If an guest will continue to appear in Smash Bros. it will be Sonic and his friends due to their close ties to the rest of the Nintendo elite in the History of Video Games. I don't know about you but if I heard they were making a fighting game with Mario AND Sonic in it ten years ago I would have crapped my pants. Sonic's an arch-rival turned family friend.

NitrousFlare

Smash Cadet
Hey **** more just like everyone else that's making threads now-a-days.

If you don't like brawl, the characters, or the fact that you suck balls at it, then don't fcking play it you whining ****.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Snake was on the NES before he became mainstream popular in the Solid series for the PS games...plus the Twin Snakes remake was a GCN exclusive...

Sonic, while not being on any Nintendo consoles unless you want to count the Sonic games for the DS and GBA or Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games...well, Mario and Sonic fighting has been the ultimate dream match for many gamers in the 90s. Putting him into a game where he can kick Mario's *** and get his *** kicked by Mario is like...a no brainer

Hutsetsugen!

Smash Apprentice
Snake was on the NES before he became mainstream popular in the Solid series for the PS games...plus the Twin Snakes remake was a GCN exclusive...

Sonic, while not being on any Nintendo consoles unless you want to count the Sonic games for the DS and GBA or Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games...well, Mario and Sonic fighting has been the ultimate dream match for many gamers in the 90s. Putting him into a game where he can kick Mario's *** and get his *** kicked by Mario is like...a no brainer
That's exactly right. Snake had, what is it, two or three other Metal Gear games which came out on the NES and even the GBA, right?

Don't forget Sonic Adventure DX and SA 2 Battle... Even Sonic Mega Collection, or Gems. All of which were exclusive to the Gamecube.
Of course, SA and SA2 were on the DC first, but I count the GC exclusives as different games altogether, and rightfully so.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Think of them as "guest" characters, and it's not so bad. I mean, a friend of yours isn't part of your family, but they can still come over, right?
Yup.^ I feel the same way about Donkey and Diddy, in the Mario spin-off games. They've always been rivals and deserve another chance to battle it out.

SEGA will probably be bought out by Nintendo in the next decade anyway... as if it has happened already. If an guest will continue to appear in Smash Bros. it will be Sonic and his friends due to their close ties to the rest of the Nintendo elite in the History of Video Games. I don't know about you but if I heard they were making a fighting game with Mario AND Sonic in it ten years ago I would have crapped my pants. Sonic's an arch-rival turned family friend.
I'm not sure if Nintendo wants Sonic after what SEGA's done to the poor guy. Nowadays, the only good thing that's coming from his games is music.

Yeah Sonic and Snake fit, they have history with Nintendo, they are good characters in Brawl. Sonic doesn't have his own console to call home so he's been on Nintendo consoles a lot lately and Snake originated in Nintendo. as long as they don't put random, obscure third-parties or ones that have yet to appear on a Nintendo console (Despite the fact that Ratchet and Clank would be perfect.) there is no reason why they chouldn't.

Hutsetsugen!

Smash Apprentice
Yup.^ I feel the same way about Donkey and Diddy, in the Mario spin-off games. They've always been rivals and deserve another chance to battle it out.

I'm not sure if Nintendo wants Sonic after what SEGA's done to the poor guy. Nowadays, the only good thing that's coming from his games is music.

Yeah Sonic and Snake fit, they have history with Nintendo, they are good characters in Brawl. Sonic doesn't have his own console to call home so he's been on Nintendo consoles a lot lately and Snake originated in Nintendo. as long as they don't put random, obscure third-parties or ones that have yet to appear on a Nintendo console (Despite the fact that Ratchet and Clank would be perfect.) there is no reason why they chouldn't.
Whoa, whoa, whoa,... The music? In recent Sonic games?
It's all that type of horribly "Yeah, Sonic, Go!" "Go Sonic!" type, mid-90's theme songs. It's almost disturbing... and that's the first time I've heard anyone over the age of 12 (assuming you are, of course) call music in a (recent) Sonic game good.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
It's all that type of horribly "Yeah, Sonic, Go!" "Go Sonic!" type, mid-90's theme songs. It's almost disturbing... and that's the first time I've heard anyone over the age of 12 (assuming you are, of course) call music in a (recent) Sonic game good.
Heh heh, I guess I better rephrase that. As much as I love Sonic Boom, I was thinking of Angel Island Zone in Brawl when I typed that. Live and Learn was good too. Mainly the music that has no little to no vocals. On my closing note, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Booom...

zelink551

Smash Rookie
Theres so much anger, lets just be frank. More characters = better game. Nintendo owns this, nintendo gets money. remember kojima BEGGED for snake to be in. Brawl owns. FACT

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping he was talking about the old Sonic music... but I knew I was fooling myself :urg:

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why people enjoy Live and Learn so much...frankly, I dislike it XD It was the song that marked the end of the good Sonic games, at least for me. I remember when I first bought my Dreamcast back in the late 90's (It had to be 1999, I remember playing Toy Commander with my friend while waiting for Y2k to end the world =P) I played Sonic Adventure day in, day out.Hell, I even replayed it at least 5 times, mostly because my memory card was a third party POS, partially because the game was so great.

Then when I bought Phantasy Star Online, I think it came packaged with the SA2 demo...I played it and was sorely disappointed...so much so that I was in a horribly bad mood for a week. Then when the game actually came out, I bought it and played through it and...that was pretty much that. Didn't care enough for it to keep playing it... Sonic lost his soul pretty much right then, I think.All the badniks were replaced with mecha cops and whatever other cold metal contraptions there were, Robotnik was turned into an even more laughable villain.. Eggman...ick.Yea, that was his original JP name, but to be honest I preferred the name Robotnik and the look/personality that went with him, mostly the SatAm/Archie look...ah, good old Julian...

Anyways, I went off on a tangent. Almost all the Sonic games pre-SA2 were great, SA2 was decent, and every one after that with the possible exception of the GBA and DS games (Haven't played them except for Sonic Advance 1, and I'm also not counting Sonic Battle) was pretty bad, IMO...

GuMz

Smash Apprentice
I hope you do know that the FIRST metal gear game appeared on a nintendo system.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Snake does have a place with Nintendo. Hell, he debuted on the NES. And he has Twin Snakes on the GC.

You obviously don't know the first thing about him. :ohwell:

Sigurd_von_Hosenfeld

Smash Rookie
Personally I think that Snake was a great addition to the cast for many reasons. As for Sonic, I never liked him so I won't use him at all (except for the obligatory trophies, target tests etc.). Problem solved!

Darkslash

Smash Master
I gotta agree especially this

"Beat catch the beat catch the ****ing, beat catch the beat"

I'm like WTH????

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Sonic is, in his own way, an important part of Nintendo's history. If I say "Videogame Rivalries" to any random person on the street, there's a very good chance they'll say "What, like Sonic and Mario?" It was about 10-15 years ago, but people still remember it.

I think Sonic earned his spot in Brawl. Snake... he's a cool character, but he didn't really do anything important for Nintendo. He's still an awesome addition to Brawl, though.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Well, to be completely honest, Metal Gear actually debuted on the MSX computers over in Japan, and got a horrid port on the NES followed by a non-canonical MG title named Snake's Revenge, while the real sequel was only on the MSX (I think)

Still, I don't care, Snake ****ing rocks anyway XD

ConeZone

Smash Ace
sonic and snake belong, and they handle differently because sakurai wanted them to be unique from the regular nintendo characters because they are from other systems...i think it is a great idea and i hope they add 1 or 2 more 3rd party characters in the next smash bros.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Hmmm.

Well, I'm fine with Sonic. But I don't like Snake, mainly because of the games he comes from.

If it wasn't for Kojima, a better 3rd party pick would've been in over Snake, OR no third parties would be in. Megaman or Bomberman, anyone?

That said, except for the games he comes from, Snake IS pretty cool. :p

Top Bottom