• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake aerials

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
If most of you have noticed, snake has some pretty good aerials. But others are hard to connect with. His two best aerials, his b-air and u-air, powerful, good knockback, good range, good hit box, and both good kill moves. His other aerials... well not so much. Now don't get me wrong his fair is a good kill move when timed right and hit right, but those are some big ifs. His u-air is almost no-existent in my game plan, its long has a relatively small hit box and its not necessarily a good kill move. If you could somehow shorthop it and connect with the last stomp, good for you, but its a little tougher for me.

Feel free to discuss. :)

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
I usually use his u-air to juggle after an utilt (probably not a great idea but I'm use to it from Zamus lol).

Cho?

Smash Apprentice
i guess the more we keep playing with snake the easier it'll be to utilize his uair with better frequency.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
Ive been trying to get better at short hopping the u-air, to hit with all the stomps or approach with the first ones and just connect with the last one, but so far ive only been able to at least connect with the last one 25% of the time

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
nair owns, so he has 3/5 great aerials. better than some other characters.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
That's not Uair

That's Dair

Dair = Stomp
Uair = flipped dropkick
I call the Uair "Rising Tackle" since I am such a SNK Dork.

But yea, Aerials were a prime topic of discussion. With 3 months of Brawl gameplay from the JP release, people pretty much considered Uair and Bair the best due to little lag and Nair for an approach. I personally cant do Nair because I can never time it right, I prefer the Bair or Uair with their tricky hitboxes.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
Uair is good but its not essential to his game, nor anything special. its just good. an uptilt that can be used higher up. good oponents will just airdodge it anyway so why not try an up smash and get in a good position for when he lands?

bair is essential for attacking out of shields, edge guarding, switching to defensive mode, etc.

nair is just plain godly. its a serious leak to not have nair in your game

Da N

Smash Journeyman
That's not Uair

That's Dair

Dair = Stomp
Uair = flipped dropkick
Yeah my bad, d-air, u-air, whatever. Anyways I still havnt been able to get it right, Ive had acouple kos with the d-air but its not in my normal game plan, I usually just throw it in there to try to trick people

nair owns, so he has 3/5 great aerials. better than some other characters.
I have to admit his nair is ****, if you can time it right. Thats all snakes aerials are all about, the timing, if you can get the timing right youll be an awsome snake player

Cho?

Smash Apprentice
i was about to say something about your confusion of dair and uair but it's already been fixed :)
i've never been able to hit with all of the dair stomps either because the timing is very difficult. 3/5 of his aerials might be good but at least his tilts are amazing in all directions =P

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Anyone ever try a ledgehopped dair? This actually worked for me once or twice when the opponent didn't expect it. It's a little risky though and would only hit if they're right up on the ledge :/

Cho?

Smash Apprentice
that does sound risky but..then again snake's play is built around explosives and risks =P i definitely will try it out

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
U-air is very good for Snake, expecially after a u-tilt or d-tilt sending them up. I'm aware I should use B-air more, but I do use it occasionally.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
i use all his aerials, most u-air and n-air though. n-air is a killer shorthopped. I do use b-air when i can but im definitely not that great at RAR'ing so that limits me 2 an extent. i just need 2 get better at doing in an actual match.

i know ppl use d-air quite a bit and i can land all 4 hits but i just dont know when 2 actually apply it. it seems as if i always have better options available. in what situations do u guys use d-air?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
i use all his aerials, most u-air and n-air though. n-air is a killer shorthopped. I do use b-air when i can but im definitely not that great at RAR'ing so that limits me 2 an extent. i just need 2 get better at doing in an actual match.

i know ppl use d-air quite a bit and i can land all 4 hits but i just dont know when 2 actually apply it. it seems as if i always have better options available. in what situations do u guys use d-air?
About the nair, just to not confuse new Snake players, you can't short hop it if you plan to land all four kicks. Gotta hold down jump as you hit A when you rise.

About dair...I wouldn't say use it often, but just to vary your attacks once in a while. A good situation is to punish a laggy attack. Another is to do it out of your shield (out of a powershield gives you a better chance to land it). Just short hop and immediately dair while DI'ing in your opponent's direction. There's also a chance that you'd land behind them if you DI'd enough.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah technically its not a shorthop, but im sure you understood that. thanks for clearing that up for new snake players. iono even in those situations u presented i feel a n-air would be better used and has more range. i guess for variety to keep the power of the n-air, but would it give me an actual advantage in using d-air instead? or is it only longterm due 2 the depreciation of moves?

yoonie

Smash Cadet
dair is not a KO move, uair is. if you're trying to use dair to ko and not using uair at all, you're just doing it wrong.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
yeah technically its not a shorthop, but im sure you understood that. thanks for clearing that up for new snake players. iono even in those situations u presented i feel a n-air would be better used and has more range. i guess for variety to keep the power of the n-air, but would it give me an actual advantage in using d-air instead? or is it only longterm due 2 the depreciation of moves?
For approach, nair wins hands down. I'm not 100% sure about this but if you sh-dair wouldn't that logically make it come out faster than a full-hopped nair? So as a close quarters punish if you want to pack more of a punch than jabs/tilts you could dair instead.

Anyway I'm not saying use dair often, it's your call really.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
dair is not a KO move, uair is. if you're trying to use dair to ko and not using uair at all, you're just doing it wrong.
I've seen the Dair KO at the same percentages as the UAir and Bair, it's just that the Dair is harder to time due to the 3 preceding kicks. Apparently DSF was able to slap around some people with it.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Dair is easier to advance with then Nair, IMO, simply because it's easier to get some starting forward momentum before using it, and it can be SH'd... It ***** big characters, although you'll need better timing for smaller ones. So long as you can get the last hit in, you'll be fine.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
yeah dair is only viable vs big guys like DDD and DK. as for approaching, why the hell would you approach with dair? i'd rather just run past the guy so i dont get punshed. (i wouldnt do that either) seriously, if you get daired by a snake and youre shielding, count 4 swishes and then bair his as s.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
yeah dair is only viable vs big guys like DDD and DK. as for approaching, why the hell would you approach with dair? i'd rather just run past the guy so i dont get punshed. (i wouldnt do that either) seriously, if you get daired by a snake and youre shielding, count 4 swishes and then bair his as s.
If your planning to short hop or full hop the dair, yes it mainly only works on tall or big characters, but i can throw it in some times to confuse and sometimes KO enemies at high percentages. His main KO moves are his b-air and u-air. His b-air can be spammed like DKs, start off facing behind them and when they get close, short hop to a b-air and continue. It really starts to frustrate players 'cus of its reach.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
The good thing about the bair is that it stays out for days. I'm used to D3 so I bair all the time.

I still call the nair a short hop, even though you hold the jump button, you still hop short if you brought it out immediately, but I see where it can confuse new players.

I'd love to work the dair into my game though. I'll have to try out the ledgehop dair, but does the last hit pop them up? I don't have much experience with it.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
The last hit of the dair usually sends them flying at a 45 degree (more or less) angle from you. I think they fly in the direction opposite of where Snake lands his foot, aka if he lands the last foot on the left side of the character, they'll fly going right. If he's in the center, then I'm not sure.

Top Bottom