• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYN: Episode 23 (12/09) - Real Men Use Items

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Where is a character update? What happened with December 3rd? What is the meaning of all these updates? Show Me Your News! answers all these and more!

Returning Pokemon, Friends List, and Basic Brawl are discussed in addition to a Brawl Viewpoint on Boss Battles! Buzz joins SamuraiPanda and Youko on the Roundtable, plus Rumor Central delves into a Korean Translation, Nintendrone, and the “SamuraiPanda Conspiracy Theoracy”.

NOTE: The “SamuraiPanda Conspiracy Theoracy” is a groundbreaking idea that could shatter several preconceived Brawl notions! It is not recommended for the close-minded, but should be intriguing for those who are fans of logic! This is a must-hear idea!

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
My voice sounds funny.

And wow, is that the longest episode you have ever recorded?

Nahhh, your voice sounds just fine!

And yes, it is the longest one. Probably by about ten minutes or so, actually.

Stalky

Smash Cadet
Hahaha, loved the attempt at the British accent. It did sound a bit Australian.

FYI, Yahtzee is actually a Brit who moved to Australia. :)

EDIT: Whatever they're planning on doing between the US and Europe releases, it won't be tweaking the game balance - simply because the games wouldn't be compatible online if they did.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Wow, I got the longest episode! Fabulous!

saif442050

Smash Apprentice
Samurai Panda Conspiracy Theoracy was awsome and thats wat i first thought when i saw the update. Nice to know that i am not crazy and other people thought that too. :)

Garuda

Smash Ace
Um... what? I don't exactly understand the reasoning concerning SamuraiPanda's thoughts concerning the roster.

When Sakurai announced Brawl's appearance at E For All (and the delay of course), he said that it would use a limited roster. You could interpret it either way, but I doubt Sakurai would play with words, he probably wants to make it clear: only certain characters would be playable at E For All. Same thing with the Ness controversy.

And seriously, why the HELL would you have the starting roster consist of Meta Knight instead of Kirby? Meta Knight is Kirby's rival, Kirby is the main character. It's like starting off as Luigi and having to unlock Mario (not as extreme, of course-- just tried to find an example). On top of that, the roster is displayed EXACTLY the same way as it was at E For All. I find it very unlikely that he would want to reveal all the spaces, even with new spaces appearing that had no question mark, like in Melee. Without the spaces without question marks, we will know that there are a certain amount of characters plus more, which were blank spaces. I really didn't say this very clearly, but I hope you can understand my point.

And I think people are taking the idea of unlocking characters in the Subspace Emissary too much to the extreme. First off, he said MOST characters, not ALL characters (somebody's stated this before, doesn't reflect this podcast). And he said CAN unlock them that way. You can't possibly forget that Melee had alternate methods.

He probably wanted to use the E For All roster as opposed to the starters, in the case that we'll know who's hidden and who's not. He said he wouldn't put much emphasis on that, but he hasn't announced, say, Ganondorf, who would obviously be a hidden character, so he isn't quite going "let it all out, yippee!!!" by 100 percent.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Glad I'm not the only one that thought unlocking dedede through event 1 was a possibility.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Just finished listening to it, it makes me bloody jealous of all you BRoomers! Nothing but spam and stupidity on the public boards most of the time! Argh! Great episode though, Sugar I'm gettin' ya' to make me a siggy as soon as you get through all of the requests you have right now, you did a great one for my brother Yaya.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Longest episode ever! And I enjoyed it so much!
Eh... I'd give an European flair to the podcast if I could! :p Sadly I do not own a mic or any other way of recording my voice...
Buzz did a great job though! Thumbs up to you! Thumbs up to Sugarpoultry as well! (And look, you made me a sig without me spamming your thread!)

SamuraiPanda was also the first person capable of providing a logical argument as to why Kirby wouldn't be a starter and why beating the 1st Event would already unlock a character (DeDeDe)... Really, good job at making me think, I like people who make me think.

However, one thing I would like to point out as a (rather weak) counterargument is that Sakurai only started talking about hidden characters in Friday's update, and hasn't mentioned them on the dojo (at least I can't recall if he did) in previous updates.
This lead me to believe that the characters we currently know of are the starting roster (except for maybe Snake) and that the following character updates would be unlockables so then Sakurai can reveal them himself first.

In any case! Great in-depth podcast episode filled with great humor! Props to all four of you!
And don't take the comments about the accents too hard, they're just from people who don't have a sense of humor :p.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I just realized, look at the Bellossom image, then look at the SE mage of Fox being chased...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Also, if Zelda isn't a starter, why is Peach?
Think about it: Peach teams up with Kirby who is a hidden character. So, Zelda will likely team up with some already available character. This way, at the start, you have one of two choices to unlock: Kirby or Zelda.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
loved the guests! sugar made my awesome sig and buzz kept cracking me up.

very funny episode (gigidi lol), very informative, loved it.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
i have a bit of a counter-atrgument to the demo using the starting roster.

in this pic of the box art, it shows Pit, Pokémon Trainer, Wario and Kirby on the cover of the game, so it would make sense that they would be starting characters

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
its the demo roster so he wouldnt give away anything even the demo stage select screen. Nothing no one will say will change that i usually agree but this time i disagree just look at the dojo hes announcing starters hence y we havn't got a new character in a while sorry samurai panda but i highly think u r wrong

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
Whew, when I read the intro, I was worried your were going to give an "unknown" on that Prima thing. It's incredible how many people thing it's still real.

RikyuXz.~

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I have a semi-counterback argument for the conspiracy thoracy!

I believe everything SP said is totally valid. However, I believe they only used all the facts SP stated with the demo release ONLY. Think about it, of course the first character you want to play is sonic when you see his video or hear about him, but i think they oonly put it on the demo release so that people can play as those characters right away.. Of course the real starting roster could possibily be the same due to the fact of rapidly unlocking characters making the game fun, but this is easily still be implemented even when adding a FEW more characters. In conclusion, SP could be right but I believe they only used that roster for the demo for those reasons and the real starting roster will include the same characters but with just a few more added. I could be REALLY REALLY wrong on this so dont bash me. Of course this isn't a big bad comeback as most of it is agreement but I'm just saying those facts could've been used a differen t way but is possible they could use the "original" method for these facts but switch it up a bit by adding a few more characters or even possibly removing a few? o_O?

Your thoughts?

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Zero Punctuation is awesome.

I doubt they do much of anything when they port.

For the X song, I'm betting on StarFox stages because X is supposed to be kind of a spiritual predecessor to StarFox. A lot of the X staff went on to do StarFox, right?

Mew is already a bonus in Melee; you can't master the game already without getting him. And it doesn't take too much single-player playing to get him. So I don't see how it's different if there's an exclusive track.

I'm sorry, those Pokemon looked terrible. Making them look a little better wouldn't bring any lag unless there are like 15 on the screen.

Halo 3 is rated M, though. So they can get away with it, because they're not supposed to be sold to kids unless their parents allow anyway.

Wow, you can pick up an Electrode? I've never tried that seeing as you can't interact with many other Pokemon. I feel a little foolish.

The Linux Penguin for Brawl would be awesome!

Less common characters: Skapon for Brawl. ;-) I'd love Ralph or Impa but I doubt that will happen.

As for the Conspiracy Theoracy, the Melee demo character select screen was way different than the final screen. If you guys actually haven't seen it, I can put up the image.

As fpr the whole disappointing on-line mode, it's possible to hack even a console game to access a different server. Wii hacking has gone a long way actually, so it wouldn't be too surprising if you could rerout Smash Bros. to a different server. It's already been done for Phantasy Star for GameCube... a long time ago. Warp Pipe for the GameCube also let you play LAN games online. It doesn't seem impossible that the player's name and taunt messages are already sent to the server or even the other Wii consoles, it might just not be revealed to the player normally.

J89Marth

Smash Rookie
1 point why SP Theory is wrong

:psycho:
One Thing i got on the theory is that

How would you unlock multiple character in the SE, where in melee you would finish adventure mode or classic and you would get the warning sign and fight the hidden character. Also lets say you beat Kirby that would mean that the warning sign would appear, to me that would not make sense because that would make you fight him an extra time and mess with the story or something like that. I mean i dont think that you will get kirby just by beating him without fighting him as a warning new challenger.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Actually that may not be the case. You will already be fighting those characters in the SSE most likely so you wouldn't need the "challenger approaching" screen to pop-up. However SSE wont be used to unlock everyone so I believe classic mode and other modes will still use "challenger approaching".

I have a few other thoughts about that starting roster though. Why is Peach on the starter list if you can supposedly pick which Princess you save? Though honestly I figured they'd have a story element that involved Zelda being capture and brainwashed into doing the bidding of the Ancient Minister and that could create the introduction of Shiek for one thing... or at least get good use out of Zelda's black outfit.

The other thing I don't like about that screen is the character franchises are scrambled. Why isn't Mario next to Peach and Bowser? Why isn't Diddy next to DK? Granted Melee did do a bit of tweaking to the select screen when you unlocked Luigi to put Pikachu in the bottom 5 (when he was next to Mario initially) so it could be one of those types of things... but it seems a bit too random.

Also, I don't believe Sonic will be a starter. If he was, he'd be on the box for sure because it would further help sell the game to buyers that somehow aren't aware of the awesomeness of Smash Bros.... Yeah I don't know who that would be but there's got to be someone who doesn't know still.

Great listen though. Nice Ninja Turtles reference. The X music does sound a bit like a Konami TMNT game music track.

Sponty

Smash Rookie
:psycho:
One Thing i got on the theory is that

How would you unlock multiple character in the SE, where in melee you would finish adventure mode or classic and you would get the warning sign and fight the hidden character. Also lets say you beat Kirby that would mean that the warning sign would appear, to me that would not make sense because that would make you fight him an extra time and mess with the story or something like that. I mean i dont think that you will get kirby just by beating him without fighting him as a warning new challenger.
Why is it necessary that the Warning come back? Why couldn't you unlock characters just by playing the SE (as SP explained on SMYN)?

Anyway, another fantastic show.

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
This was enjoyable to listen to. And just so you know, I prefer time matches over stock. ;)

saif442050

Smash Apprentice
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO REALIZED THAT THE ROSTER PICTURE IS NOT THE SAME AS THE ONE FROM E FOR ALL. THE PICTURE IN THE UPDATE ON THE TOP RIGHT HAS BUTTONS FOR "ITEMS AND "STAGE." BUT THE EFOR ALL ONE DOESNT.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
It's not right why would Sakurai give us the starting roster in the demo. Number one it's to short. Number 2 he said in the e 4 all announcement that he was not sure if he should put Sonic on it, and decided to for us. King dedede won't be unlockable grrr

Top Bottom