• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
I've been using Zelda a fair bit in SLHG... she has a devastating punish game. I also think she has some of the stronger tech chase options in this game if you're good at reads, and she's got good tools for restricting your opponent's recovery.
Combo game leaves a bit to be desired, and it can be hard to get an opening on your opponent, but there's something about her playstyle that's really satisfying.
Zelda's really cool imo, I've had two friends show me what she can really do. One of my buddies (who moved :/) was a Zelda main in PM and Sm4sh 3DS. He visited a while back and we played some SLHG, that dude could punish out of nowhere! He didn't whiff a single F-air or B-air, and he could D-throw > F-air me with any character until like 60%.

Her tech chase options are sexy. You can challenge a lot of get ups with a SH Nayru, and her new Down-B is actually really good at gimping people since recoveries are more limited. Nayru is an excellent combo breaker too.

Saddest thing tho is that U-throw > Up-B no longer connects reliably :( you can still tech chase with it tho...

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
just noticed... Is SLHG back online? I cried in the corner for weeks but im back ^_^

Fundingle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fundingle
Id like to play with someone online. Keep in mind im not very great and kinda new so im sure there's lots of things I don't know about. My NNID is Fundingle

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Id like to play with someone online. Keep in mind im not very great and kinda new so im sure there's lots of things I don't know about. My NNID is Fundingle
I'll gladly play you some time. Not sure if I'll be able to today though. Regardless I'm gonna send you a friend request.

Muro

Smash Lord
Been playing a lot more with falco. His changes in the last patch were pretty cool, his dair still sucks but you can find a use for most other aerials. I wish he had a faster dash, he could be high tier. Almost all his moves are good/great but the lack in dash speed makes him a sitting duck.

Also, whatever happened to our "Meta" tag?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Thanks for coming out you guys, helped brighten the mood in light of the unfortunate news regarding Iwata.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I find this pretty fun, want to play online but don't know how to create a lobby, do I have to add every single person on here as a friend before I can play matches online? That sounds tedious

Muro

Smash Lord
Ok so I find this pretty fun, want to play online but don't know how to create a lobby, do I have to add every single person on here as a friend before I can play matches online? That sounds tedious
You only need to add people you want to play with, as you'd do for any online match with friends. Creating a lobby is also pretty easy, just go online > with friends > create lobby.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
You only need to add people you want to play with, as you'd do for any online match with friends. Creating a lobby is also pretty easy, just go online > with friends > create lobby.
There's an extra step involved in that you have to set the rules in special smash before creating the lobby.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
So who exactly plays this? I don't usually bother with online gameplay so I haven't a clue who's out there, if it matters at all I live on the east coast

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I may be wrong, but I believe that's vanilla. I remember seeing it posted on Reddit without any context behind it being SLHG, even in the YouTube video itself. Along with that, it doesn't look much different from vanilla.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I may be wrong, but I believe that's vanilla. I remember seeing it posted on Reddit without any context behind it being SLHG, even in the YouTube video itself. Along with that, it doesn't look much different from vanilla.
Someone just told me it was vanilla. It looked like HG to me because of how the dthrow hit though.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
^Just ninja'd your post. Oh well.

Edit: So would anyone be open to playing in a bit? Now that I've got it on the mind I'd like to get some matches in today....

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I haven't tried it myself yet, but this SLHG looks insane. The game suddenly looks a LOT faster and the combo potential I've seen is sick! Really excited to see where this is heading.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Ugh... me and my friend tries this, but we have 2 problems:

1. When I used the hammer on one of the challenges, I got the wrong agility badge. I got the Wallopper instead of the Item Hitter one....

2. We keep getting an error message only a few seconds into the match that sends us back to the Online menu... anyone else having this problem?

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Ugh... me and my friend tries this, but we have 2 problems:

1. When I used the hammer on one of the challenges, I got the wrong agility badge. I got the Wallopper instead of the Item Hitter one....

2. We keep getting an error message only a few seconds into the match that sends us back to the Online menu... anyone else having this problem?
1. Did you reset? You should have reset. Otherwise you may have to unlock another hammer.

2. This means that one of you did not do the online glitch correctly.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
1. Did you reset? You should have reset. Otherwise you may have to unlock another hammer.

2. This means that one of you did not do the online glitch correctly.
But... another hammer? But what challenge do I then have to unlock?

Also, hmm, maybe. What we both did was to go into Special Smash, check Heavy, click Y to get into Rules, return to the Special Smash screen, then return to the main menu, then go online. Is that the correct way? We were in heavy gravity, it just kept giving us errors.

NatP

Smash Ace
Actually I had this "problem" lol. Turns out the Walloper Agility Badge is the exact same equipment as the Hitter Agility Badge, they just changed its name in the european version.

Last edited:

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Actually I had this "problem" lol. Turns out the Walloper Agility Badge is the exact same equipment as the Hitter Agility Badge, they just changed its name in the european version.
I can confirm that. Was confused by this myself when I unlocked it but the stats are exactly the same.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
But... another hammer? But what challenge do I then have to unlock?

Also, hmm, maybe. What we both did was to go into Special Smash, check Heavy, click Y to get into Rules, return to the Special Smash screen, then return to the main menu, then go online. Is that the correct way? We were in heavy gravity, it just kept giving us errors.
Seems Walloper was the correct one after all :)

And you may have done it correctly, but if its not right after the start screen, it won't work. So be sure to exit out to the start screen if you've done anything first.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Seems Walloper was the correct one after all :)

And you may have done it correctly, but if its not right after the start screen, it won't work. So be sure to exit out to the start screen if you've done anything first.
Did what you said - worked earlier today :D But then we tried again now, and... nop. We exited to the title screen, went back into the Special Smash menu and did those things, and about 5 seconds into the match, we got the error D:

Muro

Smash Lord
Did what you said - worked earlier today :D But then we tried again now, and... nop. We exited to the title screen, went back into the Special Smash menu and did those things, and about 5 seconds into the match, we got the error D:
That is weird, one of you must be making a mistake. It disconnects as soon as you guys interact right? that's exactly what happens when you both have different settings, so either you or him did something wrong.

My only advice would be to repeat the process.

To reiterate:
1. Go to the Special Smash menu.
2. Toggle on Heavy Gravity.
3. Press "Change Rules".
4. Back out into the main menu.
5. Hit online. Select "With Friends".
6. Create or join a lobby.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
That is weird, one of you must be making a mistake. It disconnects as soon as you guys interact right? that's exactly what happens when you both have different settings, so either you or him did something wrong.

My only advice would be to repeat the process.

To reiterate:
1. Go to the Special Smash menu.
2. Toggle on Heavy Gravity.
3. Press "Change Rules".
4. Back out into the main menu.
5. Hit online. Select "With Friends".
6. Create or join a lobby.
Worked when we reset the game. Thanks :) Do we need the EXACT same settings? Like, in how many stocks? Think we had that before, too, but... hmm, weird. Oh well, it works now, at least :) If it repeats, we'll just reset the game :)

Muro

Smash Lord
Worked when we reset the game. Thanks :) Do we need the EXACT same settings? Like, in how many stocks? Think we had that before, too, but... hmm, weird. Oh well, it works now, at least :) If it repeats, we'll just reset the game :)
Actually, one time I changed to stock in the "change the rules" screen and it messed it up, so it might be that. It's better to change the rules only once the lobby is made just to make sure.

Last edited:

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Sorry ive been kinda dead i just snagged my gamepad charger back and should be ready for some matches tomorrow i need to shake off some rust. (I missed you guys ;-; )

Last edited:

Hyper_Kirby

Smash Cadet
Sorry ive been kinda dead i just snagged my gamepad charger back and should be ready for some matches tomorrow i need to shake off some rust. (I missed you guys ;-; )
Lol. I'd love to play any of you guys. I'm still tryna get me a gamepad charger.

Last edited:

Lift

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chaos4Livez
Ok, well thanks to Hobbes I've gotten into SLHG, my NNID is Chaos4Livez. I'd be willing to play with anyone here.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I was testing a bit with Marth's ledge options, specifically with edgeguarding, and found out that due to the huge gravity boost, he can move significantly faster than before. When hanging on the ledge, Marth's primary edgeguard option on recovering opponents is dropping down into his B-Air. However, as Marth is recovering from the B-Air and getting back to the ledge to edgeguard again, the opponent has all that time to recover. This is exceedingly problematic if B-Air's tipper isn't landed, as it gives the opponent a ton of time to start their recovery up again.

Due to the higher gravity, dropping from the ledge and onto the stage will allow characters to land significantly faster than before. Instead of dropping back into B-Air and recovering, Marth can use a more complicated input to act faster. He can drop down, double jump, use B-Air with the C-Stick, then slightly nudge forward into a fast fall. This will put him right on the lip of the stage, able to act again.

For a frame comparison, from the first frame Marth drops off the ledge, it takes 32 frames before Marth can act again when landing on-stage. If he snaps back to the ledge, however, it takes him 92 frames before he can move again (this includes the mandatory hang time). That's 60 frames faster than before. This gives him much stronger options when punishing recoveries after the first B-Air, such as tipper F-Smash.

Obviously, this isn't restricted to Marth. I'm just using him as an example as I'm most comfortable with him. This will be an essential technique for ledge play in SLHG, similar to ledgedashing in Melee. This generally allows players to move faster off the ledge if they aren't being threatened, too, so it's all around a good thing to implement into your play. This'll be required for certain characters if they'd like to drop off the ledge and use an aerial for edgeguarding, or they risk major punishment/death.

---

Completely unrelated but I was messing around with Jigglypuff after watching Hungrybox in Melee today. She can use D-Throw > Rest on fast fallers similar to U-Throw > Rest in Melee. The good thing is that she can still use D-Throw > Rest at Rest's SLHG kill percents, so it's function is similar to Melee's counterpart. She can also use D-Throw > U-Air > Rest on missed techs when platforms are involved, just like Melee. This kills incredibly early, too, so that's good.

D-Throw > Rest kills Sheik at around 40%, by the way. The platform variant kills her at 30%, lol.

EDIT: o also new thread is almost done, we just gonna finish videos 'n stuff

Last edited:

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Obviously, this isn't restricted to Marth. I'm just using him as an example as I'm most comfortable with him. This will be an essential technique for ledge play in SLHG, similar to ledgedashing in Melee. This generally allows players to move faster off the ledge if they aren't being threatened, too, so it's all around a good thing to implement into your play. This'll be required for certain characters if they'd like to drop off the ledge and use an aerial for edgeguarding, or they risk major punishment/death.

D-Throw > Rest kills Sheik at around 40%, by the way. The platform variant kills her at 30%, lol.
As a Falco main, I can attest this technique is extremely useful for edge-play, especially with F-air or D-air. Guarding the edge can be safe, relentless, and effective with certain characters in SLHG. Very satisfying.

Jiggs sorta works like Melee.. She can definitely U-throw into Rest yes, but it wont kill until ~40% like you said. Unfortunately, by the time U-throw > Rest kills, it no longer true combos, so I usually rely on U-throw > U-air > Rest for the kill setup.

U-air sets up for rest until ~80% and U-tilt does until ~50%.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm not sure if you meant D-Throw, but her U-Throw has too much base knockback to do any true combos, even at 0%. I'll test it with DI, but I think it can true combo on fast fallers like Fox and Falcon.

Muro

Smash Lord
didn't know d-throw comboed into rest with jiggs. I play her from time to time for fun but she struggles to kill big time. I'll give it a try next time.

I also haven't played with marth/lucina in a while, but I liked his side B as an edgeguard option. You can run offstage and side B a recovery, you don't spend a jump and the relatively low lag is good to catch characters airdodging through you with an up-B. Since it leaves every option open you can double jump > nair/fair/bair or even up B to the ledge. It also has the side effect of stalling marth's fall, which is a plus. Using it after a double jump can be tricky because it also stalls marth's rise, so I think right after a doube jump fair is better.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
To anyone who mains megaman I just wanna say try and incorporate footstooling into your playstyle it makes him 10x more dangerous especially at utilt kill percents. Ive been kinda of bored so im going through all the characters to see how much footstooling helps thier combo game/kill setups and ive been finding some pretty cool things if falco catches some1 with a falling uair at mid %'s footstool immediately you can ftilt to lock them and then you do anything you want. Of course there are characters who don't benefit from footstooling, (marths jab was a blessing and a curse) Oli has some really cool things but ill save the details unitil i have some matches with you guys. I'll keep testing to see if i find anything cool if you have questions let me know.

Top Bottom