• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~[Smashtography] Discussion Topic~

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
So, my fellow Brawlers, I call myself a "Smashtographer." Wanna know why? Simple, really.

I take many snapshots.

Yup. Using the Ocarina "unrestricted pause camera" hack, I take in-depth, artistic, one could say, snapshots. After the initial snapshot, I upload them to my computer using bin2jpg, and I name each and everyone individually, and upload each to my Photobucket album, made specifically for my Brawl Snapshots.

Here are a few examples of my work;

xBEAST
Burst-
Wonder~
.//Warrior's Gaze
~Stay Gold.

I can also make graphic works out of these snapshots. (Most are avatars for AllIsBrawl.com)

[wt]Llumys Olimar Avatar
SailingDreamer Avatar
[wt]Overgames Avatar
F5xKirinBlaze Avatar
Darky-Sama Avatar

So, what do you guys think? Can you foresee getting interested in my little hobby? I know that people already take many snapshots, but those are normally for humor or cleverness... I want to let everyone see the unseen in Brawl. Things that past the unseen eye, but deserved to be noticed...I'd like to see more people doing this.

So, who wants to be a Smashtographer?

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
This thread is for the competent and open-minded, not the immature.

:\

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
If you're competent and open-minded, please post in this thread.

Don't have to be like that. Anyways, I usually take snapshots of humorous situations in Brawls. Or just ones that are related to something new/important.

For example. This one was made in response to the Tier List being released, and everyone suddenly accepted Metaknight's dominance.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
I know that people already take many snapshots, but those are normally for humor or cleverness... I want to let everyone see the unseen in Brawl. Things that past the unseen eye, but deserved to be noticed...
I'd appreciate it if you read the whole first post, because you're missing the point.

<_<;

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Photography is not my cup of tea, but your pictures are great. Hopefully you can find more people to take talented snapshots like those. My favorite was Wonder.

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
I'd appreciate it if you read the whole first post, because you're missing the point.

<_<;
So? What you're saying is, is that humor is not an art? Why? Because you don't believe it to be? I don't agree. Sure, Brawl's snapshots have served as an amusing medium.

But what you're saying is that jokers and comedians are the same. That there is no true evaluation to be bestowed upon humor-art.

Forgive me, but I think you're shunning a part of the style you're trying to spread.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Ugh. What I'm trying to say is, Smashtography, or at least the kind that I take part in, is original. Everyone's done the humorous or clever snapshots before; they're nothing special, now.

If you're just going to sit here and argue with me, just go to some other thread, because frankly, you're very annoying, and it seems that you have no idea what you're talking about.

:034:

Smash Hero
Personally, I think what you're doing is nearly repulsive. You are merely taking screenshots of a video game that you never even made, then put them up under the name of 'art'. "In-depth screenshots" is accurate, but I would never put the word 'art' over it.

And, to be honest, I've seen better screenshots, I honestly wasn't amazed by your screenshots.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think what you're doing is nearly repulsive. You are merely taking screenshots of a video game that you never even made, then put them up under the name of 'art'. "In-depth screenshots" is accurate, but I would never put the word 'art' over it.

And, to be honest, I've seen better screenshots, I honestly wasn't amazed by your screenshots.
Hm. To each his own, I suppose. But, let me ask you this; I use the word "art" loosely, but I would like to thoroughly assure you that I never even posted the word "art" in my first post, as the closest word to it was "artistic", which I also use loosely. Of course I know that this isn't a true art; its a hobby to go along with my pastime, Brawl. Also, I truly would like to see these "better screenshots". Hopefully, then I'd have something to aspire to.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I take many snapshots too, but unluckily, without Ocarina. Even artistic is fun, I think.

I made one with Ike releasing a fully charged Neutral Special on the colorful line the Dragoon leaves behind when it passes. The result was awesome. I'll post it some time.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
That sounds very intriguing, Akiak. At least someone is taking the slightest interest in this...

Akiak

Smash Ace
I'll post it tomorrow. I made lots of "artistic" ones really.

I have one with Mario which looks like he's training a Kyogre. Or Groudon surrounded by Ho-ohs flames, etc.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
I don't really take snapshots that don't include the actual characters of the game. The only ones I captured that included non-playable characters are "xBEAST", (a Ridley Snapshot), and "UnXpected...", (a picture of Silver the Hedgehog at Green Hill Zone.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I just out crazy Item settings and go in cool places with cool characters and stuff and pause often. But Pokeballs and ATs have great effects.

Gotta go!

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
Humor is art. Believe it.

10narutos

In all seriousness. What you're doing now is heaping praise on your own work. And all that is secondary is bad. And like The Flying Dutchman said, it's not art as of. It's loosely art if you use it to photomanip. Even that isn't really art, but hey. We all need stock photos, right?

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
*sigh*

I'm not praising my own work, but think as you wish. And of course, I know its not art, I never called it art, so please, do not dwell on your own false assumptions. Still, to each his own.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
good stuff. can i get some good shots of each of the bosses? you know, if you're bored you could help me :)

some nice shots of Ike's final smash is nice too. thanks for your time.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
good stuff. can i get some good shots of each of the bosses? you know, if you're bored you could help me :)

some nice shots of Ike's final smash is nice too. thanks for your time.
I'll get to it later. I'll send the snapshots to you when I'm finished.

Adapt

Smash Lord
can you link me to the code for the unrestricted pause camera?

Also, is there something else to make the shots higher quality?

This is one I took, but see how the whip looks very choppy :(

:034:

Smash Hero
Hm. To each his own, I suppose. But, let me ask you this; I use the word "art" loosely, but I would like to thoroughly assure you that I never even posted the word "art" in my first post, as the closest word to it was "artistic", which I also use loosely. Of course I know that this isn't a true art; its a hobby to go along with my pastime, Brawl. Also, I truly would like to see these "better screenshots". Hopefully, then I'd have something to aspire to.
Are you kidding me? Look it up yourself. Do the work.

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
Ugh. What I'm trying to say is, Smashtography, or at least the kind that I take part in, is original. Everyone's done the humorous or clever snapshots before; they're nothing special, now.

If you're just going to sit here and argue with me, just go to some other thread, because frankly, you're very annoying, and it seems that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Truth hurts? I'm not a [butthole] for telling the truth. That'd be silly. But okay, you won't listen anyways. Sorry I tried to deploy a logic mine on your feeble mind.

I sort of ruined this thread at post 2, so I guess I'm happy.

It's no use, Flying Dutchman. Forget it. He's hellbent on the fact that he's automatically right if he says: "To each his own." Let him be. He'll learn eventually, I hope.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
"To each his own" means that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Seriously, you are an idiot. I respect Dutchman for stating his opinion in a civil manner, but you... just, wow. Go ahead, just leave the topic.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace

Well, you're snapshots are no more special than his. Frankly, I'm shocked that such a fantastic idea for a topic could occur in such a feeble mind, no offense. This so called 'art' isn't your forte, I would recommend being a radio talk-show host or tank driver. Said occupations do not require your relentless creativity and uniqueness, for such gifts should never be wasted on a worthwhile job; those talents are reserved for those who fulfill the meaningless ways of idiocy. That sounds harsh. Let me rephrase: Are you the sort of person who simply takes screenshots and plays With Anyone while spamming the taunt button, refusing to fight?
Ultra Pokemaster2000 said:
Does he seriously sit on his couch at home and press up the D-pad nonstop? Is this fun in any way? Does he laugh at imagining other people being annoyed by this? That's what he does, isn't it? He sits on his couch, pressing a single button over and over again and laughing by himself, like a crazy person. It's not even annoying, it's just... perplexing.

But seriously, can you actually imagine someone looking through their game collection, "Hm... Orange Box, nah, not in the mood for an FPS... Fire Emblem, nah, don't feel like thinking that much... SSBB? Hell yes! I feel in the mood for an invigorating taunt barrage." Then they actually go through the trouble to put the disc on the Wii, boot it up, select With Anyone, wait ages for people to join, and then finally... press the same button one hundred times.

I mean, with all that trouble just to taunt spam, it makes me wonder if they just leave their Wii on with SSBB on With Anyone all week.

At least in offline matches you can interact with the people going "ENOUGH WITH THE YOU'RE TOO SLOW". At least in online matches with voice chat, or hell, even text comments, you could enjoy people's reactions. But here? Seriously? I mean, you have to imagine people getting annoyed! Why not just lock yourself in a room and imagine all sorts of funny things happening?
...see that? It's a mixed message. It doesn't really make sense, does it? But you're logic doesn't flow perfectly, that was my point. I'm not flaming, just using a radical technique to grab your attention to an issue. You're being a tad hippocritical, because you flame the screenshots of another, yet your material is of the same game, he just took a different tone in his images than you did.

Almas

Smash Lord
I'm fine with you criticising each other's artwork (with, or without, quotation marks), but calling one another an "idiot" and "feeble-minded" respectively, is a step too far.

How about y'all tone down this discussion, and if you really have an issue with each other, take it to PMs. Let's try and keep this thread from becoming horribly derailed.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
In an attempt to umm...rail the thread, heres some of my favorite snapshots taken using unrestricted camera. Enjoy and feel free to comment on them.

It's all in the background you see...:) Considering how big the snapshots are, I'll only show a few at a time.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I do like that charizard one

In response to the critizisms in this thread towards Bakithi:

this is a form of photography in the same way that making a machinima is a form of filmography.
In case people are not familiar with the term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima

It's obvious that the artistic aspects of "smashtography" are diluted when compared to photography, many of the artistic aspects of a photograph remain, such as a sense of composition, lighting, and form, to name the most important. There are major drawbacks as well, due to how limited the nature of the medium is.

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
"To each his own" means that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Seriously, you are an idiot. I respect Dutchman for stating his opinion in a civil manner, but you... just, wow. Go ahead, just leave the topic.
Oh. So. I actually try to talk some sense into you, and all you say is: "You are an idiot. Go ahead, leave."

I dunno about you, but I think it's weak. Whatever, you won't care. Sorry for raining on your internet-parade.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I take pics like these all the time. I didn't think they were anything special.
this

between the averageness of the pictures in the OP and the ridiculous names ("xBEAST" and "Reach~"... really?), I figured this was a troll thread.

What the hell?

Why is everyone so hell bent on shoehorning their opinions into this topic? Wouldn't the logical thing to do be just NOT post so you stop bumping it? xD
Unless you have fun doing that sort of thing, I suppose.

So this post has some semblance of on-topicness, I'm going to go ahead and say that the Charizard one and Wonder~ actually look pretty good. =D

Also, ecksdee at the "QFT" posters. They amuse me to no end.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Yes, NAKEDedede, that Charizard snapshot is very nice. The Kirby one was pretty amusing, also. And hey Mith, how about you post some of your snapshots? I'd love to see 'em. =D

And Greenpoe...you're assuming that I'm an online taunt spammer, simply because I take snapshots? I see no connection between the two. You sound absolutely ridiculous to me. Going so far as to call me "feeble-minded", and persecuting me like I wronged you is completely disrespectful. Wait, that sounds harsh. Let me rephrase: You're a joke.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'm fine with you criticising each other's artwork (with, or without, quotation marks), but calling one another an "idiot" and "feeble-minded" respectively, is a step too far.

How about y'all tone down this discussion, and if you really have an issue with each other, take it to PMs. Let's try and keep this thread from becoming horribly derailed.
Listen to the mod guys...!

So about those pictures, I never mentioned which ones I liked. The Marth one is decent I suppose...but that's sadly the only one I really liked. All you need is to get more people posting thier snaphots and then hopefully this thread can be filled with cool looking snapshots. I'd hate to see an idea this nice to go to waste.

And...777 posts!

Sharky

Smash Master
I'd be interested in adding my photos, once I can upload them. I've some pretty neat ones, myself.

Top Bottom