• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashCon Presents: TASOL 2012 [Road to WHobo] ($200 pot bonuses)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Come on guys, I asked nicely. Please take this kind of discussion elsewhere. If the rules bother you that much, then feel free to PM me or something. I don't want this thread to be cluttered with little arguments and non tourny related topics. If you are going to talk about character performances on certain stages, take it to the character discussion board, stage discussion board, or message each other outside of this thread. If anything, you guys should be hyping for this tournament, not trying to cut it down in any way. Smashcon is supposed to be for fun and competition. We have rules set in place, we are looking to attract people to build a community. I appreciate the feedback and I will take everything said into consideration and who knows, there might be changes in the future, but for now, the rules for Brawl stand as is.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
We don't expect you to change it and that's why it isn't directed at you. I can't possibly see the logic in you saying we can't discuss it...it's not like anything else is going on in here.

:phone:

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Bomber doesn't want us to argue here so I wont. I have just 1 response to that "japan". They play on 3 stages and zeldas comes in second at regionals. Just think about that for a second and hope you dont play me in brax.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Before the tournament on Sunday, I want to explain what we are going to be doing with the recording. I've already explained this to Bomber, but the more people that understand our system beforehand, the faster and easier it will run at the event.

The AL crew has 11 sd cards at its disposal, and all of them have three hacks on them:

1) Infinite replay (overriding the 3 minute limit)
2) Tags in replays
3) Forced save hack

Number 3 needs a little explanation. The hack will literally force you to save the match after it's over. It won't let you go back to the character select screen until you do so. If it's a friendly, save it to the Wii. If it's a tournament match, save it to the sd card. At the end of the tournament, I'll collect all of our sd cards (which are numbered with little tags btw), so I'll have every match from the tournament in my possession to upload to youtube.

The hacks don't require homebrew or anything else special. All we need is for there to be no custom stages in stage builder. We put in the sd card, turn on the Wii, go to stage builder, and it automatically loads Gecko with our hacks.

As far as identifying replays goes, we created a really simple computer program that I'm going to run on my laptop. It will save in a notepad file the names of the players facing off, the setup number they are at, and the time. So, if I played Bomber at setup 5, it would say 6:42 Bomber vs. Cam setup 5. This tells me who to look for in each replay and in what order I will find them in later when I'm capturing and uploading. It also helps me know if I'm capturing an actual tournament match, and it helps me identify people when they don't use their tags. For instance, Kismet uses the tag :obv: so I wouldn't know it was him without the information copied down somewhere.

What does any of that last paragraph mean for you guys? It means that you can't just go off and play your match whenever you're ready without telling us. We need you to either tell us what setup you are going to play on, or more likely, let us tell you what setup is available.

I'm explaining this now in the hopes that I don't have to explain it to 60 people on Sunday and end up slowing down the tournament :) I'm also explaining it because there will be times that I have a tournament match, and I can't make sure people are saving replays and running our computer program properly while I'm playing. Finally, things will go much faster if I'm not the only one loading the hacks on 11 different setups.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm going to link that post under the tournament link in our social because it sounds pretty important.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm going to link that post under the tournament link in our social because it sounds pretty important.
I'm also going to be learning how to perform this process at the tournament so I can use it for my tournaments. I will do my best to learn it so I can pass on the knowledge to anyone else who wants to learn it.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Possible we can get a spot for one more on Sunday night? I'm pretty sure I can pull another player.
I'm sorry I don't quite understand the question. Did you mean you need housing for Sunday night or something?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That was our plan. Get there the morning of, stay the night so we don't drive back exhausted, leave Monday morning. If we have a miscommunication there, then that could be a major issue.

I was simply asking if we can add one player to our group at the last minute. I should have a for certain yes or no by tomorrow.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
That was our plan. Get there the morning of, stay the night so we don't drive back exhausted, leave Monday morning. If we have a miscommunication there, then that could be a major issue.

I was simply asking if we can add one player to our group at the last minute. I should have a for certain yes or no by tomorrow.
As far as getting housing for an extra night goes, I don't know, you'd have to ask Erick about that, I posted his information a few pages back.

As for adding another player, I'm sorry but no, I said no to everyone else who wanted to bring people who didn't sign up for housing. Please understand but it wouldn't be fair if I said yes to you after saying no to everyone else.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
He didn't ask to stay extra nights...

If we can't add an extra player, that's fine. You did say last call on housing. I guess we'll have to drive back to Mobile that night. I don't want to tell Brannon that he can't go just because we can't all get housing.

EDIT: You risk upsetting someone if you start early without putting that in the schedule. Change the schedule if you are thinking about starting early. It's more acceptable to start later than you said than earlier.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
He didn't ask to stay extra nights...

If we can't add an extra player, that's fine. You did say last call on housing. I guess we'll have to drive back to Mobile that night. I don't want to tell Brannon that he can't go just because we can't all get housing.
Sorry if there was any misunderstanding Cam. Can't wait to see you guys on Sunday, get hyped!

*Cam*

Smash Lord
There was no misunderstanding. We had a friend from Mobile that said at the last second "I want to go," and now we are working to accommodate him. I was pretty sure you'd say no, but luckily Mobile and Slidell are only two hours apart.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
There was no misunderstanding. We had a friend from Mobile that said at the last second "I want to go," and now we are working to accommodate him. I was pretty sure you'd say no, but luckily Mobile and Slidell are only two hours apart.
Well, I wish you guys the best of luck with finding your friend some accommodations. Hope to see your friend there as well on Sunday.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
*IMPORTANT* Depending on how many people sign up for Brawl (which I'm sure there will be many), we might do pools. I was thinking if we get 40+ people we will do pools or if we somehow only get 10 people sign up just so they get their money's worth of matches. If we do pools, I might decide to start the Brawl tournament a little early. Most likely 30 minutes early, so make sure you are at Ohana Pier as early as possible.
Me and Bsp will probablly be just making it in time. No offense but upping it 30 min earlier could really screw us over. I'm not sure if we can make it in time if that's the case. We will still try either way but is there any possibility you could just put us down and leave our matches for last if we can't make it 30 min before hand?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Me and Bsp will probablly be just making it in time. No offense but upping it 30 min earlier could really screw us over. I'm not sure if we can make it in time if that's the case. We will still try either way but is there any possibility you could just put us down and leave our matches for last if we can't make it 30 min before hand?
I will see what I can do. Like I said, I might start 30 minutes earlier. If not, I will just start pools at 2 after registration closes.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but Bomber, what's going to happen when someone shows up right on time and realizes that you started early? What if they drove six hours to get there like we are doing? If you are going to change it, then change it in the schedule. Some people coming to this probably don't read every post in the thread. I still hold that starting a little late is more acceptable than starting early when you don't know if other players are going to show up.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but Bomber, what's going to happen when someone shows up right on time and realizes that you started early? What if they drove six hours to get there like we are doing? If you are going to change it, then change it in the schedule. Some people coming to this probably don't read every post in the thread. I still hold that starting a little late is more acceptable than starting early when you don't know if other players are going to show up.
Very good point. I think that will be a better idea. I just hate starting late, but if I really need to, I will.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
So i'm just curious before I drive an hour and a half. Do you guys think the turnout for melee will be more than 15 players?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I can't say for certain how much of a turn out we will have for Melee. I would come anyway just in case but also to have fun. We have plenty of other tournaments for you to join.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ah for sure. I'm thinking about joining the Project M tourney too. It would be my second time playing it lol.
I want to join so many tournaments but since I'm TOing Brawl, I'm gonna have to restrain myself to Brawl, and maybe 64.... I'm not sure yet, I have to see. I'd love to play P:M but I've only played it once. xD

Can't wait to see you there Jake.

Okuser

Smash Ace
I can zip around forever without messing it up, I just can't do the back and forth **** on the ground, or the double quick attack forward on the ground.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Quick Attack Canceling around the stage makes you feel like you can do anything. If you don't feel the inspiration, if 80s rock and roll isn't permeating your ears and harmonizing with your beating heart, if an army of hawkmen isn't following your lead into an ill-advised charge on the enemy's position, then you aren't QACing; you are just Up-Bing and jumping. There's a big difference.

Top Bottom