• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHBOUND/SSB PRESENTS: nothing. Cancelled. Sorry.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Unfortunately, the venue has been completely booked for February and most of (by which time we'll be into Brawl), so unless Brawl is delayed again, consider this thing cancelled. This doesn't mean I'll never host tournaments again, it just means I won't get another chance for Melee. Honestly though, Starfurry was great enough so I'm not too dissapointed. Smashbound will be back to hosting tournaments for Brawl, and you can expect something much larger scale. Think FC big. Maybe...Summer 2010?

Grmo

Smash Champion
Put yourself in the position of someone in the third round of a tournament, loser's bracket. I'm sure we've all been there before. So this time, you meet up with your opponent, and you're doing fine until they play you into their grab. You can't get out of it, and your damage meter racks up until they smash you off. You wonder what the hell just happened. Then it happens again, and again, and again, and you get 4 stocked. I imagine you're very frustrated, but after another round of this, you have come to accept that they have mastered wobbling and you can't do anything about it. So, you accept your loss and shake hands with your opponent, wish them good luck, and go sit down to play friendlies somewhere.

On a personal note, I would feel ripped off. Wobbling is hard enough that anyone good enough to do it consistently against me is probably good enough to beat me anyway. I would want to have a good match, and be beaten in a real match. Moreover I don't want people practicing wobbling so that they can beat people. I know that people practice for tournaments so they can prove themselves worthy players, and I would feel bad if someone had spent their time mastering wobbling and nothing else. It's happened before.

Finally, I don't think anyone genuinely needs wobbling to win. Playing your character intelligently is far more important in the long run, because if anyone's mental game exceeds yours, they probably won't be letting you grab them.

Wobbling is frustrating, and annoying, and although this is a somewhat personal decision - banning the tactic, that is - I feel that I'm being fair to people this way. If anyone doesn't understand that, I employ you to put yourselves in the shoes of someone I described in the first paragraph, and to try to understand why wobbling could make a tournament less fun for someone.

Everyone wants a good, real set, so one thing I'm doing to help this tournament be the best it can be is to enforce the probability that everyone gets one.

unknown522

Some guy
I'm coming. Lol, if you ban wobbling, might as well ban shiek. That's many worse things than wobbling like "easy combos" and shine spikes, and brinstar.

oh well, you choice

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm kinda surprised at the lack of posts...I'll see if Ottawa people are down for this, I don't know if anyone else here is aware of this tourney yet!

HAMnEGGS

Smash Apprentice
I may or may not come, depending on how well I do at Alphamale and whether or not I have exams and assignments that week. Although, I would probably still come if I lose terribly at the tourney. School is what would cause me not to come. =]

~Nemo

HAMnEGGS

Smash Apprentice
Put me up for Singles. If I find a doubles partner, I'll sign up for that too. Same applies to crews. The only thing that may affect my coming to the tourney is whether or not I have exams or assignments that week. Or how well I do at Alphamales. hehe, but I don't think losing at a tourney will affect whether or not I enter! =P

~Nemo

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I may or may not come, depending on how well I do at Alphamale and whether or not I have exams and assignments that week. Although, I would probably still come if I lose terribly at the tourney. School is what would cause me not to come. =]

~Nemo
lol.. I can say a lot to that, but I'm just gonna laugh. Hahah. 1st tournaments are like club initiations; get ***** and you're good. LOLL

Grmo

Smash Champion
Oh well, there's still SFF3. I think I did face you once. February 2006 at an NNR tournament. You were red sheik and you were using the tag ORLY. I was marth and I was like WTF HAX CHAINGRAB.

but yeah...I sucked then. Maybe we can play at SFF3, if you're going.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Oh well, there's still SFF3. I think I did face you once. February 2006 at an NNR tournament. You were red sheik and you were using the tag ORLY. I was marth and I was like WTF HAX CHAINGRAB.

but yeah...I sucked then. Maybe we can play at SFF3, if you're going.
It's possible we've played, those old NNR tournaments were soooo long ago though. I should be at SFF3, hope to see you there!

Top Bottom