• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Friend Finder Desktop App

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Hey all. After checking out the Friend Finder here on SmashBoards, I said to myself "this would be even handier if it had a desktop version for people to use." So, I decided I'd take it upon myself to work on one. I'm currently planning everything out, but hoping to have a test version out by next week. I'm going to be using Adobe's AIR platform, which is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X, with Linux support coming soon too (according to Adobe). That being said, the program will run on a majority of people's computers.

I'm currently working on fleshing out the interface and getting everything all set up. I'll keep everyone updated. If anyone is especially interested, feel free to voice in with a post. I'll take feature recommendations too, but I can't promise anything. For the most part, it'll be straightforward as a friend-finder only application. I might make it able to browse SmashBoards within the program as well, but I'll worry about that after.

I'll be editing this first post with project updates and the status when I begin work. Keep an eye on this thread if you're liking the idea.

- omg1337core

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Yep, it'll most definitely work for both Windows and Mac. I'm actually developing it on a Mac, but as the first post said, Adobe AIR is cross-platform. So there'll be no problems there.

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to mention that if it's possible for you to add such a feature, the ability to have a built-in chat bit would be handy, so we don't have to all post AIM info and add people via that to talk to them

Just a simple addition would be great, no need for different fonts/colors, just to print out "<name> Message" via the friend finder

VacantLight

Smash Rookie
Id like to try that out. Sounds very handy. Maybe add a rating feature so you can rate on how people did on your games and other people can test there skills with top rankers.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Well, I may have to revise this a little bit, since I'm having problems using Adobe AIR (at the moment at last) for the project. I may be able to get it working, but I'll be PM'ing Kirby King to see if I can get some help with the more advanced implementation of this. If it can't be done with Adobe AIR, I'll more than likely have to make it all in Visual Basic, which would leave all the Mac users out there hanging. I want to make this cross-platform, so I'm gunning to use the AIR platform, but we'll see.

Kamano: I may be able to do that through some basic stuff I could set up. I could run a server myself for the chat, so I wouldn't have to beg anyone to come up with any way of hosting the required stuff for that.

VacantLight: That might be something I'd have to work on with the Admins of SWF, due to the fact that the Friend Finder uses the forum accounts for information on players. That being said, someone would probably have to whip up something a little bit of advanced script. And I'm god-awful with writing really intricate scripts, plus I have no vBulletin experience (the forum system they use here). I'll see if we can maybe work on a feature like that.

At the moment, I have the basic window and layout designed. This is just a prototype, but the application is having trouble loading the databases, so this could take some work. Here's a screenshot of it running (what little is done) on Mac OS X:

If anyone knows their way around JavaScript or AJAX, send me a PM or something. It takes a while to load through the content frame currently, and it'd be a big help (qand a bit more user-friendly) to have a loading bar or something for that iFrame while the page is actually loading. I'll more than likely need a little help with this in some spots, so if anyone thinks they may possibly be able to help, toss me a PM.

Glad to see people want this. I'll try and get a working test version out ASAP. Just need to get over a few hurdles first.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Alright, I've seemed to have jumped the limitation I thought I was in with Adobe AIR, as I now have a somewhat easily accessible way of using the Friend Finder via desktop. That means both PC and Mac compatibility (Don't worry Master WGS, I won't leave you hanging :p). The program's currently in a pseudo-stable condition, and has hit where I'd like to consider it v0.1 Alpha. That being said, once I touch up some things, I'll be updating with a download of the program's unstable release, for anyone who wants to try it. I'm currently working on prettying up the basics of the user interface, and I need to test it on my Windows machine as well before the test release.

Here's the current list of features that'll be in v0.1a (Which WILL be up tomorrow night at the latest, I promise).

Current Features:
- Friend Finder access
- SmashBoards access
- A tentative placement of the chat system

Currently Known Issues:
- Known to crash in certain situations
- Known to crash in testing environment on Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Might be a Mac problem. I'm looking into it.)
- Friend Finder loads at a decent rate; SmashBoards loads pretty **** slow for the most part.
- No loading indicators when browsing SmashBoards or loading the Friend Finder

Planned Features for v0.2a:
- Chat system will be fully implemented
- SmashBoards Stage Browser access

I'll release more information before I put up the first test release tomorrow night. I have to write up all the documentation and such to get this all ready for a public test at first. I usually wouldn't test a program with the public at first, but I'm making an exception this time. :p

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
Looking great so far, I can't wait to try it out. :D

I also thought of a minor addition that could be useful; allowing players to post a small character icon of the char they play if they choose. That way if you're looking for practice against diddy you could find one easily. It would probably be best to -not- link it to the smashboards preferred character for a player, since people will often play outside their main character to work on secondaries or what have you.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Hey all, just an update:
Although I planned to release v0.1a of SmashBoards Friend Finder Desktop today, I may have to put it off until tomorrow due to some touching up I have to do. I can see that there's some interest in the project, so I'm going to try and make the test release the best that it can be (for a test release, that is). So, release is now pushed back to 3/19/2008 @ 7:30PM EST. By then I should have the final things touched up and have a tentative website setup for download and help.

Here's the final list of features that'll be in the first release (v0.1a):
- Friend Finder access
- SmashBoards access (This can cause instability, check the readme file after release to see the status of this feature)
- Help System

And the list of features planned for the second release (v0.2a):
- All v0.1a Features
- Additional Help Sections
- Chat feature (possibly)
- Stage Browser access (possibly)

If anyone has any more recommendations, throw them in. I can't promise that I can do everything, but I can try to implement some handier features should the demand be there. I'm hoping you guys are as excited about trying this as I am about releasing it.

Now that all that has been said, I'm off to finish up and make sure that it's all set for release tomorrow. :]

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
*sigh* Alright, project update status:
Before anyone rips me a new one, yes, I know I didn't make release again, but I'm noticing that setting myself a deadline about a day ahead is making me far too rushed to do a good job on this.

So, I'm rescheduling the first test release for the last time, with a more broad release date. As such, the final release date for SmashBoards Friend Finder Desktop v0.1a is March 31, 2008. Sorry for the remaining delay, but I want the program to be user-friendly, even for the first test release. I'm very close to being finished, I just need to touch up the final small details regarding the help system and the interface itself.

Progress is going well though, for all those who are waiting for this. Anyone sticking with me throughout all this, thanks a ton for the support. I'll try and make this as good as I possibly can for the test release.

I'll update when I make some more progress. :D

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
No one's going to freak out, dude. You're doing everyone a huge favor by sacrificing your own time to make a problem that helps us. Anyone who doesn't understand this fact isn't worth listening to anyway.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Just because I love keeping everyone in the know about this (plus going for three hours nonstop got boring):
Almost done. :]
Just need to mess around with a couple of graphical elements and finish up the help section, and the program should be ready to go.
Also, I'll be launching a small website for support for the program, along with feature recommendations and the like. I'll worry about that once I actually finish up the program itself though.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
CurryLad - Yeah, if it's done before 3/31 it'll definitely be released. I wanna make the release at the latest March 31 - In all honesty, my personal goal is to have the program itself finished by the 24th, and the website by the 28th.

Also, screenshots tomorrow, more than likely.

Chariot

Smash Rookie
I will worship you if this indeed works on a mac. So many people leave us behind with simple tools like this.

Much thanks.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Thank you Justice, I was just about to say that.
Thusly, I decree, no more FC postin' in my grand house (erm, thread) of Friend Finder Desktop.

PS> Screenshots later tonight :p

S2

Smash Lord
I wish you the best of luck with this project.

It's a great idea, I hope when you get it up and running that it becomes a main staple of site users.

mojo4395

Smash Rookie
OMG, this sounds like an awesome idea. I've having tons of trouble finding people to play. I just read all the posts, and I thought you might want to add some sort of location tool. In order to avoid lag, I want to make sure I'm not playing someone in Cali or Alaska or something like that. I'd just think that location should be part of any information that you collect for people to log on, so that people can focus on their areas.

Anyways, this sounds like an awesome app, and I'll be all over it when it comes out. Oh, and like someone else said, thanks for including the Macs on this!

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
First off, sorry for those lack of screenshots. I've been a little distracted since Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core came out. heh.

Anyway, status of the project - almost set for release March 31!
I'll be more than likely making an entirely new thread for the release of the project, since this thread pretty much bit it in terms of how far up on the forums it is due to the lack of posting.

Now, responding to what people have said here.

mojo4395: I'd love to add a location tool, but features like that are more something to aim at the developers of the FriendFinder itself. My program simply accesses the FF from the desktop - that's it. It doesn't modify it or remake it in anyway.

TheFirstOne: I swear to God, I've seen some pointless and idiotic posts on SWF before, but you just won my golden "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT AND DESERVES B&" award. Congrats.

(By the way, if no one can tell, I'm almost fed up with SWF due to the flood of new Brawl players who somehow haven't learned internets forum etiquette at all. Fortunately, I still love this place. Haha.)

ANYWHO - Just the heads up: Smash Boards Friend Finder Desktop v0.1a releases Monday, March 31, 2008 at 7:00PM EST. Watch the Brawl Online Discussion forums for the announcement thread folks :D

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Hey, let me help on this.

I am an expert on photoshop so I can help out with images. Here is a reskin I did

Top Bottom