• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Crosses 130,000 Members

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Today, Smashboards crossed the 130,000 member threshold. This seems like a good time to offer an update on the site and various things that are happening around the Smash community. The health of Smashboards hasn't been this strong for many years and the last two months have seen a huge acceleration in features and site upgrades (thanks @Warchamp7). We still have some small issues to work through including getting a new support email, getting writers for our new news portal, and getting tournament moderators to help with the Smash Rankings, but many of these are good issues to have. One thing to note - we recently cleared all users settings for email notifications due to the excessive amount of emails being sent when it was the 'default on' setting - if you liked email notifications you can turn the setting back on by going to your preferences.

For the future we hope to pick activity up even future with more content, additional sponsorships (Apex 2014 and VGBootcamp were only the first), more comprehensive rankings, new staff, and support for all areas of the forum. What other things can we do better? What do you like about the site? Who or what should be sponsored next?

As always, if you like what we're doing, you can support Smashboards by going Premium - rumor has it that Premium Members have been getting chances at rewards of late like controllers, plushies, pens, and adapters.

By the numbers
  • Averaging over 100 new members per day
  • Averaging nearly 5,000 new posts per day
  • On December 17th, 474 members were added, the 2nd most ever in a single day (1st: Aug 10, 2011 - 725, 3rd: March 10, 2008 - 294)
  • As of February 5, 2014: 130,000 members, 230,000 threads, and 14,420,000 posts makes Smashboards the 10th largest forum using Xenforo (1st - IGN)
  • 251 brackets added to new rankings system in under 1 month (long way to go!)
  • 5,670 tournaments posted in Tournament Listings since 2007 (810 tournaments posted per year)

Kidbuu42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kidbuu42
As some one who signed up in the past week, I'm proud to be part of the new site traffic and community. :)

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Congratulations, Smashboards! This community just keeps getting better and better every day! I would've baked the site a cake if I knew about this sooner. XD

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I joined this site within the past month, and it is the third forum I have joined. Even in my short stay here (so far, I plan to stick around!), I can sincerely say that this is the best forum out of the three I am on. The features on this site are just outstanding, the layout is very clean and organised, the themes look nice, and the community seems to be bursting with activity. I can't claim to have any knowledge of the site's past ups and downs, but right now, I'd have to say it's on a high. And I'm sure with the hype for, eventual release of, and eventual community activity generated by Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS, the site has a guaranteed bright future right now, not to mention things like Smashboards Rankings and sponsorship agreements boosting the site's notoriety and overall importance to the Smash players around the world.

Kudos to the Smashboards staff for doing such a wonderful job of maintaining things, and just as many thanks to the community at large for being a pleasant bunch to converse and play Smash with all around! I look forward to my future on these forums!

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
I just joined a couple days ago, and I must say that I am astonished at how easily accepted I was into the smash community. Pretty much everyone is welcoming of anyone that wants to play smash with them and I must say, my expectations were pretty low since I'm not the best at the games yet. This website deserves the cred and traffic that it's receiving. It might actually be the single greatest spot for a console gaming community out there. Whatever you guys are doing is certainly working.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
the smash community is truly the only one that I feel I belong to and flourish within. HOWEVER, I cannot figure out how to 'like' posts in these news threads. I see other people liking posts, but there isn't a like button?? WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY!?!

Also, soon we will crush digital point forums and take our righteous place as #9!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Been here since 2003.
I've seen many many changes.
I like these changes.

Bye bye

Bones0

Smash Legend
The next thing you guys should tackle after the rankings get finished up is the video/tournament results.

Tournament results and tournament videos should all be included in the same thread. Once a TO uploads results to the ranking system, it should automatically generate the results thread with the bracket image, placings, characters, and prize amounts (manually if it isn't the usual 60-30-10 split). Below the results, the TO can include a list of all the tournament's videos within collapse tags to prevent spoilers.

The main video forum should have streams, combo videos, music videos, small clips, and other miscellaneous content, the video forum should utilize tags in a fashion similar to YouTube. If possible, adding a larger and more prominent search bar would promote searching, and people can just enter whatever characters, stages, or other specific terms they are looking for. It'd also be nice to have check boxes to quickly filter stuff you are looking for. These search functions would be based off of tags and also thread types.

For example, you can currently create threads with the "Legality" category next to the title. If you replicated this for "Combo Video", "Clip", and "Stream", people would be able to check boxes for those categories. If I only want to see combo videos, I can simply check the "Combo Video" box and only threads with the "Combo Video" category next to the thread title will appear. If I'm looking for a specific combo video, I can then add in keywords and tags. I can type "Falco" and "Mango" to find all the combo videos with Falco as a tag. This same sort of search feature could be added to the tournament results section to search for tournament videos with certain players or characters.

With streaming on the rise, an alternative to including streams in with other videos is to have a stream section. You could have a thread for each stream and somehow keep live streams pinned to the top. Idk how well Twitch can be fused with SmashBoards, but being able to go into a stream thread and have the stream/chat embedded would really make it easier to navigate the different streams. Currently, I have to memorize all of the different streams I want to check out and then manually type in the addresses to go from one Twitch profile to another. Replacing this with a "Back" click and choosing another thread would be so much easier (not to mention keeping traffic on SmashBoards).

I think a good centralized streaming hub (think 20XX DC++ :cool:) would go a long way towards making SmashBoards feel more like the home of Smash instead of splitting traffic between SmashBoards, FaceBook, and Twitch. With FaceBook in mind, I also think some instant messenger chat rooms for some of the major forums might be worth trying. For example, what would happen if the Melee Discussion social thread was an instant messenger/chat room thread? The biggest complaint most people have about forums is that they have to wait for responses. Having a select number of chat rooms for the more active sections might help encourage people to just hang out on SmashBoards and chat instead of coming here to do business then leaving as soon as they figure out when the next tourney is or w/e they really came for.

Idk how feasible some of these features are to implement, but that's what I would do if it were up to me. lol

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy I am part of this community of helpful players. I'm also glad that the smash series is growing and growing with its community. :)

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Daftatt you gotta be blind or something. It's right there, on the right bottom of each post

I just gave you a like, Lol
No it's not! This is what my screen looks like (and no, it's not because of the P:M theme)

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
I demand a YouTube channel featuring work of people on this site!!! Also info regarding anything smash related such as tournament recaps

Top Bottom