• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Video Game Brawl of Fame! A platform fighter with no Nintendo! (INDIEPALOOZA))

FazDude

Smash Master
Alt Votes
  1. 8 Minimum
  2. 10 Alts Total
  3. Five Alts Total
Music
My vote goes to KneeOfJustice's submission, with the additions of Normal Mode - Pac-Man Championship Edition (NES) and PAC BABY - Pac-Man Championship Edition from the other submissions.

Retro Stage: Arcade Invasion

This stage takes place inside of an arcade cabinet, giving it a border like Flat Zone and Dream Land GB from the Game That Must Not Be Named. However, rather than being inspired by any specific game, it's a mashup of several space-themed arcade titles!

While the central platform uses vector line-art (mimicking the style of Asteroid's graphics), a Space Invaders UFO ocasionally flies by as a soft platform, and KOs are celebrated with Missile Command-style explosive fireworks!

This stage doubles as a way to really get into the game's crossover aspects while giving us some room to represent games that might not get much otherwise.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Also, would you like moveset submissions for Centipede and the Space Invaders yet, or do you want us to wait for jobs for them? :)
Originally I wanted to make jobs for them, but it might be better if moveset submissions were automatically opened whenever new characters were added.

So here's a question for everyone reading! Would you like moveset submissions to work like this from now on? Let me know and I'll make it work that way starting with my next full update post.

FazDude

Smash Master
Originally I wanted to make jobs for them, but it might be better if moveset submissions were automatically opened whenever new characters were added.

So here's a question for everyone reading! Would you like moveset submissions to work like this from now on? Let me know and I'll make it work that way starting with my next full update post.
I'd be fine with that - Might give the Invaders a shot later tonight.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

Sounds good to me! :D

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. 10 alts
2. 5 alts
3. 8 alts

Music:
KneeOfJustice99's submission, with the addition of Main Theme - Pac-Man World 2 (New Remix) & PAC DIMENSIONS - Pac-Man Championship Edition.

Space Invaders Stage
I had a lot of trouble coming up with one, but I think this has some weird potential.

Space Invasion
This would be weird, weird stage based on the inaccurate cabinet art from the original game.

A tall stage with multiple alien spacecraft flying back and forth in the sky as platforms. On the bottom is the main stage, an orange desert wasteland with mountains in the background and a crater in the foreground. This is no ordinary crater, if you jump into it it'll actually shoot you out like a cannon up to the spacecrafts, which you can't reach by jumping.

In the background you'll find a few of the black hairy monstrous Space Invaders from the art.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion

May as well take a crack at Centipede in that case - it's a pretty unique character to try and design for, but I think I have an idea that might work.

Centipede is unique in that it’s usually a fairly typical heavyweight - but with the unique ability to split up, it can effectively become two lightweights. Coupling this with their generally good vertical coverage and access to a burst tool in Hungry Bug, as well as their ability to attack from unexpected angles due to having more than one of them to face off against, they’re surprisingly skilled in taking advantage of an opponent, but struggle a little at actually getting an opponent into a disadvantageous position to begin with.

Centipede is one of the heavier characters in the game, and has decent ground speed, though middling air speed. However, their weight decreases and their air speed increases when they split up. They can cling to walls as well as jumping off them, but don’t have any additional jumps. Their design is predominantly based on the original arcade game and its sequel, Millipede, as opposed to the various remakes and reimaginings that the series has seen since (such as Centipede: Infestation or Centipede: Recharged.)

Attack NameButton ExecutionDescription
Segment
N/A (Fighter ability)​
Centipede has a unique property allowing it to split itself into two different centipedes of equal length. These are known as the first half (the one you control), and the second half (the AI-controlled partner.)

The AI-controlled partner uses an AI that takes in your own playstyle and tries to match it, a little like the process of training Amiibo in Ultimate, albeit on a much faster scale.

When in segmented form, Centipede’s attack power is slightly reduced, but it’s possible to have the AI-controlled partner attack for you in some cases, or even set up combos with them. Each of you is also lighter than normal, given you’re only three “segments” long in segmented form, compared to your typical form being six “segments” long.

Any damage dealt to either half is shared equally, any effects taking place on either half is also shared, and if the second half is killed, you’re stuck in segmented form until you lose a life.
Sharp Mandibles
Hold B whilst grounded​
Centipede prepares itself by charging, then snaps its mandibles forward, “biting” opponents that it hits. It’s a quick and fairly simple strike with a slight disjoint that lets you cover decent space, though its attack power depends on how much you charge it.
Cocooned
B whilst airborne​
Centipede curls into a ball and spins in the air, hitting opponents away in the process. This attack has more range if used in base form, and less range if used whilst segmented. It's not very powerful either way, though.
Bug Blaster
↑ + repeatedly tap B whilst grounded​
Opening up its mouth, Centipede points it upward, firing pixelated darts from it directly upward - just like in the original game! These darts don’t do much damage overall, but are pretty quick, and work well for vertical coverage. However, it won’t work well to hit grounded opponents.

If you also input a horizontal direction whilst holding up, Centipede will begin to walk along the ground in that direction whilst continuing to point upward. This also allows you to fire whilst moving, though again, you can only fire directly upward.
Hungry Bug
→ + hold B​
Centipede rapidly charges forward, and chomps down on opponents that it comes into contact with - knocking them away with pretty scary damage.

If used whilst airborne, Centipede moves horizontally forward for as long as you hold the attack, but can’t move up or down whilst using it, making it good for lateral recovery.

Should it hit an object or wall (including its own Mushroom), it’ll move down the object by default, clinging closely to the wall (if applicable.) This is unless you let go of the input, in which case it’ll just drop normally.
Mushroom / Insecticide
↑ + B whilst airborne​
Centipede places a Mushroom underfoot, standing on it - which acts as a platform of sorts. Other fighters can stand on it too, and it acts a little bit like a wall. After a few seconds, it’ll break automatically, but can also be broken by being attacked. Only one can be on screen at a time, and the previous one will be removed without incident if another is placed.

When it actually breaks, it explodes in a cloud of pesticide, acting as an explosion with a unique poison effect that gradually deals a small amount of continual damage to an opponent over time. However, Centipede can also be damaged by this attack. It’s a loose reference to the DDT bombs in Millipede.
Split Up
↓ + B​
If in full form, you can input this move to segment yourself into two separate Centipedes, entering Segment form. The second Centipede is an AI-controlled partner.

The second Centipede will remain on the screen for up to 30 seconds, or will return to you if you input the command again, allowing you to reform into full form.

s

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
LETS LOOK AT THE VOTES! WOOOOO!

Job #14, alt amount!

7 alts: 1 point
8 alts min, 16 alts max: 11 points
5 alts: 12 points
10 alts: 14 points

Each character will be getting 10 ALTS with a non-universal ratio of recolors and alt costumes! Congrats to FazDude FazDude !

Job #15, Pac-Music!

I won't beat around the bush here, KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 won by a landslide (3 points compared to 1)! We'll be using their track list, with the extra songs added in:

This makes for a whopping 15 tracks to choose from for Pac-Championship!
________
Let's dig into submissions!

Job #16! Submit a Space Invaders OR Retro Arcade Game stage!

Stratosphere Invasion ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Arcade Invasion ( FazDude FazDude )
Jousting Field ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Space Invasion ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )

Lot of invasions here, makes sense. Vote as you would most stage jobs here.

Job #17! Submit a Collectible!

We've only got one submission here, but it's a great one! Congrats to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 , Cuz Tokens will be added as a Collectible! I can't wait to get into some of those jobs later down the line!
________
Movesets! From now on movesets submissions will automatically be open whenever characters in need of them are added, right now only Space Invaders is in need of a Moveset. KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 shadowdropped one for Centipede as I was writing this.

I'm going to make one request for Space Invaders moveset makers, please make it clear how the character will appear visually. 2D like game & watch? Vowels? Something else? It's something I feel the moveset designer should have control over.

Moveset votes will only take place if multiple people make a moveset for the same character in-between these big update posts.

Job #18: Submit a set of alts for any character except Space Invaders. (as it's unclear how they'll look)

Job #19: Submit an Idea for how Arcade Mode works, you should also list what the reward for finishing it should be.

FazDude

Smash Master
Sonic
  1. Default
  2. Classic coloration
  3. Tails coloration + Boom bandanna (orange)
  4. Knuckles coloration + Adventure sunglasses
  5. Amy coloration + Ribbon
  6. Shadow coloration + Gold cuffs
  7. Silver coloration + cuffs
  8. Darkspine Sonic coloration + gold cuffs
  9. Werehog coloration + Chip's bracelet
  10. Brown with blue shoes

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #16:
  1. Arcade Invasion. I think the idea of going for a stage with plenty of space-themed inspirations seems like a lot of fun. It's just cool. I like it.
  2. Space Invasion. I just think it's neat.
  3. Stratospheric Invasion. Arkanoid babyyyy
Job #18: May as well give PAC-MAN a shot. Considering his Smash colourations are very lacking (mostly because of a presumed contractual obligation to always depict the man himself as yellow), I think this would be a good opportunity to do something unique. I should note that his design is based on his appearance in games like Pac-Man World given it's a fan-favourite and seems to be his modern default.

As for the lack of model swaps such as Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man with a hat like from Pac-Land, the version from that one Bloodhound Gang music video, or 1980 Cabinet Art Pac-Man (my beloved), I felt it'd be best to keep things simple. He's effectively Mr. Video Game, sharing that role with a certain plumber or something, not sure of his name - probably Linguini or something. He's got more than enough for himself!
  1. Yellow (default.)
  2. Red (based on Blinky, the first of the four classic ghosts, and with orange gloves and boots.)
  3. Pink (based on Pinky, the second of the four classic ghosts, again with orange gloves and boots.)
  4. Cyan (based on Inky, the third of the four classic ghosts, once more with orange gloves and boots.)
  5. Orange (based on Clyde, the last of the four classic ghosts, this time with red gloves and boots.)
  6. Purple (based on Sue, a ghost introduced in Ms. Pac-Man, again with red gloves and boots.)
  7. Green (based on Miru, from Pac & Pal, featuring pink gloves and boots.)
  8. White (based on BeroBero, a type of ghost found in Pac-Pix, also featuring pink gloves and boots.)
  9. Olive (based on Orson, a reoccuring villain from the Pac-Man World series, with dark green gloves and boots.)
  10. Blue (with unique orange details on the face, gloves and boots, representing a ghost after eating a Power Pellet.)
Job #19: I'd suggest that an Arcade Mode could work more like a traditional fighting game's - you go up against five randomly selected AI opponents in one-on-one matches of increasing difficulty, then a bonus round (akin to Break the Targets or something like that.) Then, you go up against a unique Rival, and after that, a Boss (if we're including them.) Bog-standard, but works fine enough.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
1. Arcade Invasion
2. Stratosphere Invasion
3. Space Invasion

Job 18: Jill's Alt Costumes

1. Resident Evil 1 Remake Design (Default)
2. Red (reference from Ada Wong)
3. Green (reference from Chris Redfield)
4. Yellow
5. Purple
6. Indigo (reference from Jill from Resident Evil 6)
7. Brown (reference from Leon Kennedy)
8. Black (reference from Nemesis)
9. White (reference from Lady Dimitrescu)
10. Resident Evil 3 Remake Design

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. Arcade Invasion
2. Stratosphere Invasion
3. Space Invasion

Job #18: I'll be providing some Centipede Skins! Centipede is a game that cycles through its color pallete, but I've decided to avoid intentionally referencing them as an extra layer challenge, but it's likely coincidental references will occur.

1. Green with yellow underside and red eyes. (Default)
2. Red with yellow underside and blue eyes. (Based on the Millipede from Millipede)
3. Black with red head and dull yellow underside (Based on real redheaded centipede)
4. Yellow with green underside (simple inverted colors)
5. Shades of black (millipede colors)
6. Light blue (Based on a type of Centipede)
7. Shades of pink (Worm)
8. Black and Yellow, alternating each segment (Bee)
9. White (Based on a type of Centipede)
10. Swallowtail Butterfly Caterpillar Pattern

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Lara Croft costumes

1. Anniversary Design (Default)
  2. Light Blue Top + Grey shorts + Sunglasses (Classic design)
  3. Brown Top + Shorts (Based on Tomb Raider: Legend)
  4. Black Top + Shorts (Based on Angel of Darkness )
  5. White Top + Shorts (Based on Cradle of Life)
  6. Green top + White Shorts (Based on an alt from Legend)
  7. Orange Top + White Shorts (Based loosely on the Antarctica suit from III)
  8. Reboot (alt)
  9. Reboot with Red Jacket (Based on an outfit from Rise of the Tomb Raider)
  10. PS1 Lara (Alt Costume. Looks similar to how it did in Fortnite)

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
ITS VOTE COUNTING TIME!!

Job #16! Submit a Space Invaders OR Retro Arcade Game stage!

Jousting Field: 2 points
Space Invasion: 8 points
Stratospheric Invasion: 14 points
Arcade Invasion: 18 points

Arcade Invasion has won and will be added to the Stage list! Congrats to FazDude FazDude for coming up with such a great idea!
_______
SUBMISSION STATION:

Job #18: Submit a set of alts for any character except Space Invaders.

Lucky for us, every submission for a different character, so we won't have to deal with any votes this time.

Thank you to FazDude FazDude , KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 , DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 , @Me!, and darkvortex darkvortex for submitting these alts. They will be added to the game.

Job #19: Submit an Idea for how Arcade Mode works.

We only got one submission for this Mode, once again by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 . I'm very happy with said submission though, and I'm very excited that rivals will be a thing in our game!

_________
Moveset submissions are open for: Space Invaders.
________
New Jobs!

Job #20: Submit a Centipede/Atari Stage!

Similarly to Space Invaders, I'm opening up the submissions to allow stages based on any atari game to allow for more variety, good luck!

Job #21: Submit an Item!

We're double dipping on this job so soon because I feel like we need more items.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #20:
Stage Name: Enchanted Forest
Stage Origin: Centipede (Atari 7800 pack-in comic, 1986)

Fun fact - a few of Atari's games had pack-in or tie-in comics specially designed to set up the story surrounding the game's narrative, though some of the most notable looking back are probably the SwordQuest series, maybe Yars' Revenge, and of course, Centipede. This stage would be inspired by the Atari 7800 version's pack-in manual, which recontextualises a lot of what you see in the game as a part of an actual plot.

In terms of design, the stage is a fantastical forest packed with all kinds of strange beings, like the evil Mushroom Wizard, as well as characters like Spider, Flea, the Elves, and of course Centipede, all of which act as decorative background elements. The stage itself takes place on a fallen log between two rock faces, as well as some other tree branches - but too many attacks directed at the central log breaks it in two and opens up a chasm below. After a certain amount of time, another log will fall into place.

Job #21:
Item Name: Boss Galaga
Item Origin: Galaga (1981)

Functioning similarly to in that other platfighter game with video game characters in it, Boss Galaga can be picked up and thrown, at which point it'll fly to the top of the screen and trace another fighter horizontally before diving back down, activating a tractor beam, and trying to drag them to the top of the stage and into the blast zone. You can, however, escape by mashing - plus, you can hit it to get it away from you. It maintains its unique arcade aesthetic, using sound effects from the original game when active, as well as darkening the background.

Moveset Submission: Space Invaders

Space Invaders are designed to be a little bit unusual in terms of their general nature, closely resembling their appearance in the original arcade game as opposed to using a design from an external media source. This design means they, and their attacks, have a unique property in that they're designed to represent traditional sprites to a reasonable degree of accuracy. This also means that attacks that land on opponents have a unique pixellated "explosion" resembling when you successfully manage to hit an Invader in the original arcade game. That said, I'd pull from a variety of pieces of Space Invaders media in order to represent them on a more general level.

In terms of moveset, they're intended to be very vertically and aerially focused, but heavily lacking in close-up and horizontal tools so as to offset this. That said, they're not completely helpless when on the ground - but when in the air, they're almost playing their own kind of game. That being said, you need to be smart when playing as them due to their unorthodox playstyle.

In terms of stats, they're pretty slow and floaty - being lightweights with high air speed but middling ground speed. They have a total of three jumps, and can't wall-jump or wall-cling. Many of their attacks are fairly weak, aside from their charged ones, resulting in a defensive and ranged playstyle that rewards you for playing to their vertical strengths.

Invader Squadron
None (fighter ability)​
By default, the Space Invaders act as a unified horde of three - the Light, Medium and Heavy Invaders. They're also able to call in the UFO for some attacks. Similar to Ren & Stimpy in NASB or Tom & Jerry in Multiversus, they don't have the ability to desync akin to the Ice Climbers, instead fighting as a singular unit. From time to time, they'll change their "order" around depending on what moves they're doing, though again, this is purely cosmetic.
Speed Up!
None (fighter ability)​
Purely by default, the Space Invaders gain faster horizontal movement over time, both on the ground and in the air. This is a direct reference to how they'd typically move faster as they got further down the screen in the original game. This property is reset if they lose a stock, and only continues up to a certain point.
Hover
Hold Jump whilst airborne (fighter ability)​
By holding Jump whilst airborne, it's possible for the Invaders to hover - as well as being able to control their horizontal direction for so long as you hold the input. However, the effect stops after a couple of seconds, so you can't just camp at the top of the screen forever.
UFO Strike
B​
This move allows you to call in a UFO, which will fly over your head before scanning in front of you. If it detects an opponent, it'll lock onto them and fire a series of low-powered pixel bullets at their location when the lock-on happened. If not, it'll just fire the bullets directly forward.
UFO Trace
→ + B​
This move allows you to send the UFO forward and away from you, with it having a field around it. If an opponent enters that field, the UFO will perform UFO Strike on them automatically without player input - plus, it'll then try and follow the player horizontally.

At any time whilst this move is active, you can press B to recall the UFO back to your own location.

The catches to this are twofold - firstly, when UFO Trace is active, you do not have access to UFO Strike. Secondly, the UFO can only travel horizontally, so if an opponent manages to evade it from above, it'll struggle to attack them.
Upward Small-Scale Fire
↑ + repeatedly tap B​
This simply allows you to fire a low-powered pixel "bullet" downward directly above you, with it moving in a straight line even if you're moving when you let the attack off. Each bullet is fired by a different Invader on a cycle from S/M/L, though there's no difference in damage.

Repeatedly tapping the attack is capable of massively slowing your falling speed if used in the air, but the attack lacks somewhat in outright power. For that, you'll want...
Upward Broad Upgrade Fire
↑ + charge B​
A more powerful variant of the Small-Scale Fire, which shoots five bullets at a time, but lacks the spammability of its weaker brother, even though it does still stop your falling momentum upon being fired in the air. This item is a reoccurring one in various games in the Space Invaders series, such as Space Invaders Extreme.
Upward Beam Upgrade Fire
↑ + fully charge B​
Fully charging an upward B input has the attack upgraded to a powerful beam which remains in place for multiple frames, with above-average horizontal coverage on top of that, and stopping your vertical aerial momentum during its entire duration whilst still allowing you to move horizontally if airborne. It's even capable of being fired through walls and opponents that it hits!

However, its power is offset by the fact that it needs to be charged up fully in order to use it. This attack has also featured in various Space Invaders games over the years.
Downward Small-Scale Fire
↓ + repeatedly tap B whilst airborne​
Effectively a variant of Upward Small-Scale Fire, but downward instead. Identical properties to its aerial variation, but doesn't work on the ground for obvious reasons.
Downward Broad Upgrade Fire
↓ + charge B whilst airborne​
Effectively a variant of Upward Broad Upgrade Fire, but downward instead. Identical properties to its aerial variation, but doesn't work on the ground for obvious reasons.
Downward Beam Upgrade Fire
↓ + fully charge B whilst airborne​
Effectively a variant of Upward Beam Upgrade Fire, but downward instead. Identical properties to its aerial variation, but doesn't work on the ground for obvious reasons - and also has very slightly increased damage.
Barracks
Shield (fighter ability)​
When you input shield, a Barracks (from the original game) will spawn over you, protecting you from attacks.

Unlike a normal shield, the Barracks can last forever... but attacks to the shield will whittle it down, pixel by pixel. If it breaks, you're stuck in a dizzy state, and if it gets damaged, it takes a short time of not being used to start to reform.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Atari Stage: Adventure

Would be based on the original Atari game - While still rendered in pixel art, the background is more elaborate, almost like a 5200fied version of the game's box art. Yorgle, of course, appears as a miniboss, being about the same size of the Flying Man from Magicant.

Item: Time Net (Ape Escape)

It's time to get Sony involved in this shindig! While a fighter holds this item, they gain (or have their preexisting B move replaced with) a new B move which has them swing the net. Catching an opponent allows the fighter to carry them around and throw them forwards or backwards, essentially giving them a cargo throw. Caught fighters can mash out of it, however.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Stage Submission:

Breakout (Breakout, 1976)

A compact stage where you fight atop the rainbow breakout bricks, the breakout ball & paddle (younger sibling to the pong ball & paddle) will act as they do in the game and break the stage from below at a slow but steady pace. Players can also chip away at the bricks from the top.

This creates holes in the stage for players to fall through and the ball to sneak through. Eventually though, the paddle will miss the ball, resulting in a game over for it and a reset to the stage's default layout.

If you manage to fall through the stage onto paddle, it'll bounce you off like a ball.

Item Submission:

Chrome Power Pellet (Pac-Man series)
Hailing from the Pac-Man World games, this item acts much like the Metal Box from that other platform fighter. Eat it to become metal for a short time. You'll get stronger, heavier, and you'll fall faster! As he's pretty much our lead, I see no reason why Pac-Man's series can't have an extra item or two.

(I had to use a random stock image for this because for some reason there's no images of the actual power-up online)

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Space Invaders Moveset
Space Invaders are a trio fighting together,similar to Ice Climbers,but the player controls Medium Invader,and their moveset is kinda original

Plasma Shot (Ground B)-Space Invaders shots a green plasma projectile

Galactic Rush (Ground Side B while Running or Walking and Aerial Side B)-Space Invaders gives a dashing headbutt

Psycho Asteroid (Forward Ground B)-Space Invaders summons a meteor and shots the meteor forward,the meteor is a reference from Asteroids

Telepathic Confusion (Backward Ground B)-Space Invaders do a telepathic flash on opponent making them dizzy,this attack is similar to Mewtwo's Down Special

UFO Ride (Up Ground and Aerial B)-Space Invaders enters into an UFO and the UFO flies,it's possible the UFO shots

Alien Wheel (Aerial Neutral B)-Space Invaders spins in circle together

Brain Eater (Aerial Down B)-Space Invaders dives downward and "bites" the opponent

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
No old votes to tally this time, we're moving right into submissions!

Job #20, Submit a Centipede/Atari Stage!

Enchanted Forest ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Adventure ( FazDude FazDude )
Breakout ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )

As only there submissions were made, we'll once again use StrawPoll for voting Click Here!

Job #21, Submit an Item!

Boss Galaga ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Phoenix Down ( darkvortex darkvortex )
Time Net ( FazDude FazDude )
Chrome Power Pellet ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )

Vote using the Y or N system like the last item vote.
________
Moveset Submissions: Space Invaders

We've got two Space Invaders movesets so that means a vote must take place!

Moveset Submission: Space Invaders

Space Invaders are designed to be a little bit unusual in terms of their general nature, closely resembling their appearance in the original arcade game as opposed to using a design from an external media source. This design means they, and their attacks, have a unique property in that they're designed to represent traditional sprites to a reasonable degree of accuracy. This also means that attacks that land on opponents have a unique pixellated "explosion" resembling when you successfully manage to hit an Invader in the original arcade game. That said, I'd pull from a variety of pieces of Space Invaders media in order to represent them on a more general level.

In terms of moveset, they're intended to be very vertically and aerially focused, but heavily lacking in close-up and horizontal tools so as to offset this. That said, they're not completely helpless when on the ground - but when in the air, they're almost playing their own kind of game. That being said, you need to be smart when playing as them due to their unorthodox playstyle.

In terms of stats, they're pretty slow and floaty - being lightweights with high air speed but middling ground speed. They have a total of three jumps, and can't wall-jump or wall-cling. Many of their attacks are fairly weak, aside from their charged ones, resulting in a defensive and ranged playstyle that rewards you for playing to their vertical strengths.

Invader Squadron
None (fighter ability)​
By default, the Space Invaders act as a unified horde of three - the Light, Medium and Heavy Invaders. They're also able to call in the UFO for some attacks. Similar to Ren & Stimpy in NASB or Tom & Jerry in Multiversus, they don't have the ability to desync akin to the Ice Climbers, instead fighting as a singular unit. From time to time, they'll change their "order" around depending on what moves they're doing, though again, this is purely cosmetic.
Hover
Hold Jump whilst airborne (fighter ability)​
By holding Jump whilst airborne, it's possible for the Invaders to hover - as well as being able to control their horizontal direction for so long as you hold the input. However, the effect stops after a couple of seconds, so you can't just camp at the top of the screen forever.
UFO Strike
B​
This move allows you to call in a UFO, which will fly over your head before scanning in front of you. If it detects an opponent, it'll lock onto them and fire a series of low-powered pixel bullets at their location when the lock-on happened. If not, it'll just fire the bullets directly forward.
UFO Trace
→ + B​
This move allows you to send the UFO forward and away from you, with it having a field around it. If an opponent enters that field, the UFO will perform UFO Strike on them automatically without player input - plus, it'll then try and follow the player horizontally.

At any time whilst this move is active, you can press B to recall the UFO back to your own location.

The catches to this are twofold - firstly, when UFO Trace is active, you do not have access to UFO Strike. Secondly, the UFO can only travel horizontally, so if an opponent manages to evade it from above, it'll struggle to attack them.
Upward Small-Scale Fire
↑ + repeatedly tap B​
This simply allows you to fire a low-powered pixel "bullet" downward directly above you, with it moving in a straight line even if you're moving when you let the attack off. Each bullet is fired by a different Invader on a cycle from S/M/L, though there's no difference in damage.

Repeatedly tapping the attack is capable of massively slowing your falling speed if used in the air, but the attack lacks somewhat in outright power. For that, you'll want...
Upward Broad Upgrade Fire
↑ + charge B​
A more powerful variant of the Small-Scale Fire, which shoots five bullets at a time, but lacks the spammability of its weaker brother, even though it does still stop your falling momentum upon being fired in the air. This item is a reoccurring one in various games in the Space Invaders series, such as Space Invaders Extreme.
Upward Beam Upgrade Fire
↑ + fully charge B​
Fully charging an upward B input has the attack upgraded to a powerful beam which remains in place for multiple frames, with above-average horizontal coverage on top of that, and stopping your vertical aerial momentum during its entire duration whilst still allowing you to move horizontally if airborne. It's even capable of being fired through walls and opponents that it hits!

However, its power is offset by the fact that it needs to be charged up fully in order to use it. This attack has also featured in various Space Invaders games over the years.
Downward Small-Scale Fire
↓ + repeatedly tap B whilst airborne​
Effectively a variant of Upward Small-Scale Fire, but downward instead. Identical properties to its aerial variation, but doesn't work on the ground for obvious reasons.
Downward Broad Upgrade Fire
↓ + charge B whilst airborne​
Effectively a variant of Upward Broad Upgrade Fire, but downward instead. Identical properties to its aerial variation, but doesn't work on the ground for obvious reasons.
Downward Beam Upgrade Fire
↓ + fully charge B whilst airborne​
Effectively a variant of Upward Beam Upgrade Fire, but downward instead. Identical properties to its aerial variation, but doesn't work on the ground for obvious reasons - and also has very slightly increased damage.
Barracks
Shield (fighter ability)​
When you input shield, a Barracks (from the original game) will spawn over you, protecting you from attacks.

Unlike a normal shield, the Barracks can last forever... but attacks to the shield will whittle it down, pixel by pixel. If it breaks, you're stuck in a dizzy state, and if it gets damaged, it takes a short time of not being used to start to reform.
Space Invaders Moveset
Space Invaders are a trio fighting together,similar to Ice Climbers,but the player controls Medium Invader,and their moveset is kinda original

Plasma Shot (Ground B)-Space Invaders shots a green plasma projectile

Galactic Rush (Ground Side B while Running or Walking and Aerial Side B)-Space Invaders gives a dashing headbutt

Psycho Asteroid (Forward Ground B)-Space Invaders summons a meteor and shots the meteor forward,the meteor is a reference from Asteroids

Telepathic Confusion (Backward Ground B)-Space Invaders do a telepathic flash on opponent making them dizzy,this attack is similar to Mewtwo's Down Special

UFO Ride (Up Ground and Aerial B)-Space Invaders enters into an UFO and the UFO flies,it's possible the UFO shots

Alien Wheel (Aerial Neutral B)-Space Invaders spins in circle together

Brain Eater (Aerial Down B)-Space Invaders dives downward and "bites" the opponent
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's submission
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 's submission

Vote for the moveset you think should be the official one!

Job #22: Submit a Mode!

It's that time again! Submit anything that falls under the label of Mode!

Job #23: Submit a Music List for Green Hill!

Like last time, no smash remixes are allowed. You cannot go below 4 or above 8.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
KneeOfJustice99 takes my vote for the moveset

Boss Galaga Y
Phoenix Down Y
Time Net Y
Chrome Power Pellet (Refraining from voting for this)

Sonic music list submission!

Green Hill (Classic) - Sonic Generations
Green Hill Zone, Act 2 - Sonic Mania
South Island (Lovers) - Sonic the Fighters
Emerald Beach - Sonic Battle (New Remix)
Rooftop Run (Day) - Sonic Unleashed
Ocean View - Team Sonic Racing (Remix of You Can Do Anything - Sonic CD)
Open your Heart - Sonic Adventure
Escape from the City - Sonic Adventure 2

hoo boy this was a very tough selection to make, at the end, I've decided to feature a mix of fan-favorites and personal favorites. I've got two versions of the Green Hill theme since the stage is Green Hill, two songs from the sonic fighting games since that felt appropriate, and 2 lyrical songs since those are often the most iconic. There was definitely a temptation to add more lyrical songs, but I felt like only having a few popular ones was best.

Edit: accidentally added 10 songs, removed the hard boiled heavies theme and super sonic racing in the hardest decision of my life.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Job #10!

Legacy Mode!

Basically All-Star mode from smash, fight every character in the game in chronological order or reverse chronological order depending on how high the difficulty is set. You'll have the same health for the whole run, and only sparse opportunities to heal.
I'll be resubmitted Legacy Mode for the mode job, with one added detail.

I assume arcade mode will reward players with Tokens based on the character you beat it with. So for Legacy Mode, beating it will give you a Token based on a different design/look for the character (when applicable) usually this would just use one of the designs from the alt costumes, but if that's not applicable for whatever reason, then things can get weird.

Using the six characters on the roster so far as examples we can have:

Pac-Man: Arcade Cabinet Art Pac-Man
Sonic: Classic Sonic
Lara: Reboot Lara
Jill: Resident Evil 3 Jill
Space Invaders: Arcade Cabinet Art Space Invaders OR PS1 Reboot Space Invaders
Centipede: Millipede

In the rare event we add a character with no alternative designs or outfits, we'll use a major character or item from the Series instead.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Green Hill Music
Decided to focus primarily on Classic era music since I think we'd really benefit from having both a classic and modern stage when it comes to Sonic.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Boss Galaga: Abstain (my submission)
Phoenix Down: Yes! I think it'd be a really fun item to work with, plus we're kind of lacking healing items.
Time Net: Yes! I think it'd be pretty neat, even if Spike would probably use it as his default weapon if he got voted in.
Power Pellet: Yes! Honestly just a really neat idea, I think this makes a lot of sense.

In terms of the Space Invaders submissions, given I was one of the submitters, I'll vote DragonRobotKing26's.

Job #26: Resubmitting Sound Test!

Job #10: Mode Submission
Sound Test! Basically, a mode where you can listen to the game's music or voicelines, which may potentially be organised by series/stage/character depending on how we do it. Nothing particularly special in terms of actual gameplay or outright uniqueness, but it'd be nice to have this here nonetheless.
I'll make a couple of changes, though. Namely, when you're playing a song, you'll be able to see the artist/performers who did the song and its release date, coupled with the option for a brief blurb describing the song's use or origins. Akin to that one other platfighter, the Sound Test is also designed to work similarly to a traditional music player in format, allowing you to create your own playlists as well as interacting with the music with options like pause, play, rewind, fast-forward, skip, and so forth.

Job #27:
The difficulty with picking music to represent a wide-lens view of the entire Sonic series is that it runs the risk of favouring representation in one place or another, but at the same time, you want the stage to have a very specific sort of vibe. With that, my musical selection was difficult, but I think it's a decent mix of music from throughout the series that'd fit well in a game like this.
It's an eclectic mix, but I think it does an okay job at feeling like it covers a decent variety, coupled with a mix between some fan-favourites, obvious pulls, and some less obvious but still fun inclusions. In terms of some of the notable omissions - S3&K is represented through Angel Island Zone's Mania remix as well as Sanctuary Falls, and I felt the Adventure series would work better in a future stage that might be more modern-centred. I just wanted to ensure we didn't have a tracklist completely full of the "the first level in a sonic game" tracks, hence why picks like Back In Time and Frog Forest were picked, giving decent variety whilst keeping to a general kind of vibe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom