• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Konami vs Capcom: Concerto of Champions

Should our game be 3v3 or 2v2? Or something else?

• 3v3

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • 2v2

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • screw it, we’re making this a 4v4 i guess

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Surprising no one, I really want some Bemani reps! I just think there are tons of fantastic and strange characters and vibes in each of Konami's rhythm games. I really love Sound Voltex, it's my go-to game at any arcade that has it.

I actually managed to get Metal Gear and Tokimeki Memorial in pretty quickly...so I think Reiko would be fun, which is why I've pitched her previously. Other than that, Django and an MMBN rep!

I actually love the idea of bringing in TvC Giant-sized characters, it'd be sick to get some of the actual monsters from MonHun in, but I have a few interesting ideas for playable MonHun reps otherwise, and I also think that there should be some room for licensed guests, even if it's just one from each side, as both companies have made some really interesting licensed games and it makes sense to pay tribute to that legacy.

If I had to be specific my choices would be something like... Afro/Emi, Rasis, Django, Bass.EXE, Colonel.EXE, Reiko, Rajang, Hinoa & Minoto, Scrooge McDuck, and a Ninja Turtle (or even Homer Simpson...).

Oh, it'd be neat to get Hades from Bomberman 64 as well, he could be another Giant character...lots to choose from here.

EDIT: Oh oh oh! Of course! Gillian Seed from Snatcher! Any chance I get to put him in something I will take.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Oh shoot, there's lots of picks I'll honestly want to see in this project...

Konami: Besides Simon Belmont (who I feel is inevitable), there's:
  • Sparkster (easily at the top of a list)
  • Oolong/Lee from Yie Ar Kung-Fu (well, Street Fighter/Metal Gear isn't ringing right in my head)
  • TwinBee or Pastel
  • Vic Viper (with elements from Zone of the Enders) or Moai
  • Maybe Gillian Seed and Master Higgins/Takahashi Meijin, as well.
  • Getsu Fuma definitely deserves a mention for having done this the month before Ryu: "HADOKEN!"
Capcom: Super Ace from 1942, Captain Commando, Linn Kurosawa for reasons below, pretty much any other obscure/retro character overall. If there's anything to say about Resident Evil, maybe Leon Kennedy and Lady Dimitrescu for a change while representing different eras.

Pipe Dreams: I definitely agree with giant fighters returning from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, as HyperSomari and Fly just said. For licensed guests, Capcom should have:
  • Scissorman from Clock Tower, as they were involved in a third game and later on, Haunting Ground (Fiona) whixh was kind of related. Besides, seeing him duking it out with fellow survival horror characters (especially Pyramid Head with those scissor blades and relations to clock towers) would be a dream come true.
  • Scrooge McDuck because of Capcom's partnership with Disney back in the NES/SNES era, with a collection released on PS4/Xbox One/Steam and WayForward's DuckTales remake in 2013.
  • Mickey Mouse also makes sense as a Disney rep, considering that Hudson Soft (bought by Konami) developed Mickey Mousecapade before they published it, though Capcom created the Magical Quest trilogy for the SNES and Game Boy Advance.
And for Konami, either:
  • Buster Bunny would be damn perfect if he and Mickey are both chosen together. Also, he clearly would have a Deadpool-like wacky moveset and has good interaction dialogue potential, as they said in the opening song of Tiny Toon Adventures: "Expect the unexpected!"
  • The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themselves (as a pseudo-team, yet differs from Injustice 2) or their arch-enemy Shredder with elements from both Tournament Fighters and beat 'em ups, considering that Digital Eclipse (known for working with Capcom, even a PS3/Xbox 360 port of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 during their time as Backbone Entertainment) is developing a new TMNT collection alongside Konami, with all 13 games for next-generation consoles this year.
Or have Xenomorph and Wolverine to represent both companies instead as they appeared in the games developed by them; Xenomorph in 1990's Aliens beat 'em up & Capcom's Alien vs. Predator (long time before the film), and Wolverine in 1992's X-Men (WELCOME TO DIE! MASTER OF MAGNETS!) alongside the Marvel vs. Capcom series, starting with X-Men: Children of the Atom.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Listen, I was planning on just going off and revealing these when the time is right, but if the topic is gonna be asked, so be it.

On Konami's side, I am very partial to this dude right here: Power Pro-kun. They actually put him in that weird DreamMix TV World fighters game that had Optimus Prime. I've played his games, but not for super long. Still, I think he hits a perfect balance of being adorable, iconic, and I think the baseball stuff would make for a cool moveset.
Power Pro Kun.png

I also just really want to see more Silent Hill and Hudson representation in general. Silent Hill is tricky because the fun of a Silent Hill game to me generally revolves around feeling absolutely powerless, and that's going to be hard to translate to a game where you're supposed to fight. On the other hand, I would rather have Heather or James over Pyramid Head. Hudson I think is just in a tough place where its parent company is hard to beat, and they've built almost their entire brand on Bomberman, so I'm predicting it and Bloody Roar will be all that gets in here, but Ninja Five-O or one of the many failed Hudson mascots would make me happy.

For Capcom's side, I want to see representations for Ace Attorney and Resident Evil because they're in my all-time favorites, but I also want to single out Fiona from Haunting Ground. She has that same issue I mentioned Silent Hill protagonists have where the reason that game is effective is that you feel powerless in it, BUT she has a dog named Hewie who's adorable and you can use to make her a stand character.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I think we should put in Edward Falcon from the Power Stone franchise that would be very cool I think

Also Devilotte and Nina and Linn Kurosawa and Rival Schools representation and-

Basically I want all the semi-obscure 90s Capcom picks

As for Konami, uhhhhhhh we already have Goemon and he tends to be My Dude when it comes to Konami stuff. Other than that, I'd like to see stuff from ZoE or Suikoden or Bloody Roar, I'd like Gillian Seed, uhhhhhh I dunno ****innnnnnn Getsu Fuma or something??? Oh wait, Twinbee! I definitely want some Twinbee stuff!!! I also actually really vibe with the idea of Hikaru and Akane even if I'm not particularly into Parodius - they just feel like the kind of cool fun outside-the-box pick that I like seeing with these rosters

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Aight since it’s been a couple hours and there’s a clear landslide winner, I’m gonna call the tiebreaker. Chun-Li will be next Capcom character and our second Street Fighter representative. Congrats to Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds for getting your submission in. I’m gonna start our next job tomorrow, but for now I wanna share who my most wanted are.

Capcom Wants:
  • This one isn’t super high up on my “things to push hard for” list because it’s basically inevitable, but Resident Evil anything! One of Capcom’s biggest franchises, has been represented in every MvC game since 2, and has excellent crossover potential with one of Konami’s flagship franchises. We just gotta have it in! I’m personally partial towards Jill Valentine with her MvC2 look and moveset, but I’m open to other options. Finally having Leon in a Vs. game would rock, Lady D would be super fun, and I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing back Chris or Wesker either. I think we can come up with a fun selection for our RE picks.
  • Morrigan is cool and epic and I love that she’s in, but I would be super bummed if we didn’t pick up another cool Darkstalkers rep somewhere down the line. I said it before, but that series has some of the coolest characters in Capcom’s catalog and though it’s relatively small compared to other series, it’s always gotten more than one pick in the Mahvel games. I’m an advocate for B.B. Hood, but I’d totally be down for someone who hasn’t been in a Vs. game yet. Lord Raptor would be a ton of fun and I’m genuinely shocked Jon Talbain hasn’t shown up in one of these yet.
  • Linn Kurosawa is a deep cut that I really want us to include if we have space for her. It’d be a fun way to acknowledge both Konami and Capcom’s involvement with making games for the Alien franchise and she’s just a cool character all around.
  • Speaking if Darkstalkers, more semi-obscure mid-late 90s Capcom fighting game reps would have me pop the **** off. Think your Rival Schools, your Cyberbots, your Power Stones. Things that don’t really show up a whole lot in Vs. games but are still really cool regardless. I can’t explain why, but those picks in particular always make me smile when I see them in Vs. game fan rosters.
  • Originally I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do guests or not, but now that I’ve warmed up to the idea, I want DIO. In part because I’m a huge Jojo’s fan and Heritage for the Future is fun, but also because I’d love to see how the Castlevania crew would interact with this ******* man.
Konami Wants:
  • If you put a gun to my head and asked me what out biggest omission is currently, I’d answer Silent Hill in a heartbeat. When you have the opportunity to put Resident Evil and Silent Hill in the same game, you take that opportunity and run with it! Hell Dead by Daylight understood this. While Pyramid Head is very likely gonna be the go-to for most folks here, I wanna see if we can try and push for one of the human characters as well. Heather is my personal go-to because I just think she’s neat.
  • Aside from SH, I think Suikoden and Twinbee are the big Konami hits that I’m most invested in getting in our roster. Suikoden has a huge cult following and is The Konami JRPG franchise, and Konami loves putting Twinbee in everything. Both of them should definitely be included at some point.
  • I didn’t know much about Rumble Roses before starting this project, but Fly’s write-up has totally sold me on Reiko. Idk, she seems like someone who would gel incredibly well with this game’s vibe. Also helps that she’d be a really unique take on the grappler archetype.
  • Gillian Seed would rock as well. I only started looking into Snatcher somewhat recently, in part because it came up in that five hour Tokimeki Memorial review that I’m still working my way through, but I gotta say that I dig it. There’s just something about the aesthetic of late 80s-90s Japanese PC games that I cannot get enough of. Add that on top of this being one of Hideo Kojima’s early hits and the cyberpunk aesthetic, and I can tell that this game is going to be right up my ally. At the very least, a Snatcher stage would be ****ing gorgeous.
  • As far as second reps go, I’d like to see some more cool Castlevania reps. We need to add a Belmont eventually, and I’m a huge proponent of getting Soma in as an Aria of Sorrow stan. I’d also love to see Metal Gear get one more wild card pick, maybe someone like Ocelot or The Boss.
  • Although we banished Yu-Gi-Oh! to the shadow realm, Yugi would definitely be my go-to pick for Konami’s Wacky Guest Spot. The association is already there and most of us agree that he’s cool, so we might as well when we get to that point. Or we could do Homer Simpson for no other reason than because it’d be funny.
There’s probably a lot of picks I forgot to bring up, but this should cover most of what I want to see.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I see a lot of wants I generally agree with and am stoked to see once they get submitted and/or included. Despite me agreeing with a lot, I'll still try and make a post confronting my most wanted for this project, cause I still wanna gush too lol.

Capcom:
Just as a general preface, I ****ing love Fighting Games, they're my go-to video game genre, so it comes to no surprise that a lot of my most wanted characters are from... well, Capcom fighting games. I do understand that we've got to diversify genres too with a limited roster size, and that everyone needs their fair share in the spotlight, but these are just my general thoughts. Without further ado.
  • 3rd Street Fighter Rep: G. Definitely G. 100% G. Just think about it and it'll make sense. Ok now that's out of the way.
  • More Darkstalkers: Whenever I boot up fightcade, Vampire Savior is proooobably the game I spend the most time in. The horror aesthetic is what initially made me interested, and the characters and the more fast-paced gameplay (compared to other Capcom fighters) is what hooked me in. Now, well, I main Jedah and he's easily my favorite character in the entire franchise. But simply put, he's already been the Darkstalkers co-rep in MvCI and I want to give the other characters some time to shine as well (despite there being a tiny urge inside me that just wants to submit Jedah again when the time comes). I feel like it's best to put some characters in that haven't had any 3D appearances on their plate. B.B. Hood comes to mind thanks to the previous prompt, her last appearance has been in MvC2, just like Anakaris. But man, my most wanted out of this bunch would definitely be Lord Raptor. His moveset is probably the most goofy out of the cast, and really does justice to that side of the Darkstalkers franchise, and to be honest, it'd be fun to make basketballs out of characters and dunk with them. In general, he just rocks. You really got to see how goofy the man is for yourself. Although if you ask me, I would say Darkstalkers could warrant 3 reps, but that ultimately depends on our roster the closer we get to the end.
  • Rival Schools!: I learned of Rival Schools thanks to CvS2 lol. I still find it absolutely weird how they put Kyosuke in that game but I'm not complaining. But when Tatsunoko vs Capcom came around, Batsu became the sole representative. And then in Street Fighter V, they put in Akira (which was absolutely the best course of action, and I'm still so glad that happened). So I feel like, when it comes to representing Rival Schools, Capcom kind of just picks a different character each time around? Now, my gut instincts absolutely wants Akira cause she's by far my favorite character. But if I had to pick a character different from the ones that were already chosen, I think it would be very swagger if we could take either antagonists of the series, Hyo Imawano (the main antagonist of the first Rival Schools game) or Kurow (to rep Project Justice). But either way, the Rival School cast is immense and there's tons of lovable faces to choose from. I do personally think it would be kinda lame to retread on the same representative though just because on the basis of "oh they've been in this game so that means they have to be chosen again!" despite precedence clearly showing that's not really how Capcom works.
  • Fighting Game etc.: Capcom has a whole plethora of Fighting Games under their umbrella that they don't use outside of the occasional SFV costumes and rereleases. My favorite part of MvC2's roster was that I discovered Cyberbots and Star Gladiator through it, and I'm sure I'm not the sole exception. There are so many characters from series that are (unrightfully) dormant to be found here. The aforementioned Cyberbots and Star Gladiator, Power Stone, etc... I'm glad we've already managed to put Tessa in though. Although you know what would be the biggest power move ever? A Capcom Fighting All Stars rep. Yeah, game is cancelled, but I don't care. There were playable builds of it to be found in arcades for testing and we know of established characters that have even been given Shadaloo character guides for SFV. And hell, Ingrid is a thing, although I would pick one of the other original characters. Personal choice would either go to D.D. or Rook.
  • Non-Fighting Games?: This is where most of the roster will come from. But funnily enough I have the least to say about this part. I could really roll with anything here. I would especially love to see Ace Attorney in here and Resident Evil of course. Maybe instead of Phoenix Wright we could have someone else to represent the series? Or maybe we could have more than one Ace Attorney rep? Time will tell. Although I do think we should somewhat switch it up from other Capcom crossover games. I love my wild surprises.
Konami:
  • Bloody Road: If there's a Konami fighting game I definitely have to see get in, it's Bloody Road. This series has had 5 entries, and definitely left its mark in the arcades and at home for a lot of people. Characters could be accompanied with combination styled moves (think of Tekken characters in SFxT), and hence could diversify gameplay as a result. I think Bloody Roar in our project is an eventuality. Although I wouldn't be opposed to introducing more than one rep for it, a lot of people love the characters in it and they all have very unique playstyles. Gotta give these characters a chance again after being dormant for nearly 20 years.
  • Non-Metal Gear Kojima games: To many's surprise, Kojima directed quite a lot of games besides the Metal Gear franchise. 2 IPs come to mind personally, Boktai and Policenauts. As I've elaborated in my Fog Castle submission, Boktai really is a neat piece of Konami's gaming history and I'm fully set on putting Django in this project. As Fly stated, Boktai and Mega Man Battle Network have crossed over on multiple occassions so I see no reason to not make the 2 series meet again while we have the chance. Now onto Policenauts. Policenauts was an awesome game for the PC-9821 and was heavily praised. It's definitely a game everyone needs to give a chance. If I personally had to give a game an award for its engrossing setting, the quality of its animations and voice acting I'd give it to Policenauts on frame 1, and I'll definitely submit Jonathan if I ever have the chance. Now there's definitely still other Kojima games, like Zone of the Enders and Snatcher, but I personally have no experience with them so I can't say much about those. They do look cool though!
  • Other?: Just like many have said already, Silent Hill. Orpheus made her point about wanting the human characters to shine and I'm fully on boat for it. There's still Twinbee which is an arcade classic and left its print. Suikoden is a necessity as well, and Castlevania just needs more. Oh man, there's too many. But pick & choosing is the fun part! Can't wait to see how this side of the roster is going to look like.

Guests?
From the Konami side? Definitely Yugi Moto, there's no one else that really pops into my mind. Yu-Gi-Oh is huge, and has ventured into the video-game landscape itself on several occasions, more recent example being the very popular Master Duel. There's no way Konami won't push Yu-Gi-Oh in a big crossover game, and man, the idea of Yugi being in a fighting game is just kickass.

Capcom? Alright hear me out. I think it would be very dope to see a Street Fighter EX character in here. More specifically? Skullomania! The big goof and mascot of Arika (the company that was in charge of those games). Street Fighter EX characters have gotten Shadaloo profiles by Capcom, and they've got ties to the Street Fighter series, so I very much think it's a feasible thing to do, despite them hailing from another company. Hell, Skullomania even appeared in SNK Heroines, an SNK crossover game, the masked man knows no bounds and must defeat evil wherever it lies.

Apologies for the big post. But yep, that's it from me. Looking forward to how this roster will shape up.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Now that I'm back home from work, I think it's time to close the discussion and move on to our next job. Thank you all so much for participating in this discussion, it was nice hearing everyone's input!

Job #15: Submit minigame for arcade mode!

We're finally taking the first steps towards fully fleshing out our arcade mode! We already have a general outline of how each character's arcade mode will play out courtesy of our very own Fly, now we're gonna iron out the specifics! Fist thing, we need to determine what the minigame in the middle is going to be. Think something similar to the car smashing bonus stage from Street Fighter II or what have you. I'd generally prefer if the minigame stayed close to our established gameplay formula, but other than that, go nuts!

Job 15:
Car Smash

1649352182037.png

Car Smash is one of most recurring Street Fighter minigames and it's about destroying a Toyota Celsior car and it debuted in SFII on Arcades.
In this game, there are 2 cars and the car's appearance depends on franchise:
  • Classic Car (Capcom)
  • Sports Car from Konami GT (Konami)

I nominate this one, because it's one of Iconic fighting game minigames and it needs to be in KvC.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #15: Bonus Stage/Mini-Game for Arcade Mode - Multi-Mook Battle

This bonus stage is mainly inspired by Konami's Yie Ar Kung-Fu released in October 1984 for the arcades, in which Oolong (or Lee in the MSX and NES/Famicom ports) fought against eleven opponents with different abilities, with one of them being Feedle, who appeared as the fifth opponent in the original arcade version. His fight differs unusually from other opponents, as it actually consisted of a team of ten identical clones who look like him, appearing from the right or left to attack Oolong, who has to strike all of them, with them going down in one hit, in order to advance on his journey to become the Grand Master.

This was later applied to it's beat 'em up-like sequel released for the MSX in 1986, Yie Ar Kung-Fu II, where multiple mooks/enemies will appear from the sides of a screen while Lee Young (son of the NES/MSX port's protagonist, Lee) goes through three sections of a level to face it's boss, much like Irem's identically playing Kung-Fu Master, which was more popular with it's NES/Famicom port developed by Nintendo themselves.

Considering that most of Capcom and Konami's popular games in the arcades were beat 'em ups like Final Fight, Captain Commando, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sunset Riders, etc., I found this idea quite fitting thematically to represent the genre itself, besides that secret Konami Code-unlocked shoot 'em up.

In Konami vs. Capcom, this would work similarly like it was in the arcade version of Yie Ar Kung-Fu, and even has some elements from Street Fighter II's Barrel Breaker mini-game, being pretty much an endurance bonus game than a race against the clock.

Twenty weak, identical-looking enemies will run from the sides of a screen to attack the player who starts in the middle, who has to defeat all of them with a count shown next to their health/life bar, decreasing each time they knock out an enemy (though their speed will rise one by one upon spawning to make it a little difficult). The round will be over if the player manages to defeat all 20 enemies or gets killed themselves instead, though it doesn't lead into a continue screen and goes right to a next round in the arcade mode. Mooks/enemies and a location will change depending on the leading fighter/story, such as:

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Hey yall, sorry I’m late to starting the next round. Got caught up with a bunch of other stuff and it completely slipped my mind. Just a heads up that I am an incredibly busy woman and I’m near the end of my current semester, so if I’m not around as much or I’m late to updating the thread, it’s not because I’ve abandoned the project or anything. I just have a lot on my plate right now and things may slow down a bit this month. Anyway enough rambling, looks like Multi-Mook Battle will be our arcade mode minigame!!! Congrats to tonygameman tonygameman for winning this round! It’s an insanely well thought out idea that really fits the vibe of this crossover. Now onto our next round, and it’s going to be our biggest one yet if you catch my drift.

Job #16: Submit a giant fighter for Capcom and Konami

Ever since we decided we were doing Konami vs Capcom, a common request that was brought up to me was the return of giant characters. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, giant characters are an archetype exclusive to Tatsunoko vs Capcom that consists of characters who are... well, giant. In exchange for your ability to build a full team, you got to play as this massive, powerful boss-like behemoth of a fighter that towers over the rest of the cast. And since the demand for giant characters was so huge (lol), we’re bringing them back for Konami vs Capcom. I mean it’s not hard to see why this game in particular would be an excellent place to revisit the concept. One of Konami’s biggest franchises deals with ultra powerful giant walking weapons, and that’s not even getting into the other cool giants that both companies have to offer. Why wouldn’t we wanna take advantage of that?

Some ground rules for giant characters before we go further. Just like in Tatsunoko, selecting the giant character bars you from creating a full three-fighter team and you’re restricted to only using that character during the match. We’re also adding two giant characters per company, making the grand total of giants four. Tatsunoko had two giant characters, our roster is more than twice as big, I feel like four is a pretty reasonable number for us. We’ll do the other half of giant characters at a later date. Also, every Capcom and Konami franchise is on the table for this job, regardless of if they’re already represented by another fighter or not. Given our pool of choices here, I don’t think it’d be wise to restrict our options to just new series. And just a heads up, future character jobs will be more lenient for allowing second reps. I just wanted to make sure we weren’t pulling from the same stuff constantly, but now that we have a solid enough foundation, I think I can allow for a bit more leeway. That being said, I still wanna put some rules in place to make sure we aren’t retreading ground too much, so I’ve decided to cap each series at three fighters max. Any series that reaches that threshold will no longer be eligible for future jobs, so keep that in mind when submitting. I’m not sure if I wanna count giants in that total since they’re kinda Their Own Thing, but we’ll see how things pan out. Anywho that’s enough from me, submit your giants!

ABIGAIL (STREET FIGHTER)

Abigail is penultimate boss of Final Fight Arcade game and he is a giant-sized bodybuilder, who was former member or mad Gear gang as it was shown in his games.
He might be not very known Giant, but he also appeared in Street Fighter V as DLC Fighter.
It's also interesting that his name has word "Big" in his name (ABIGail).

He would definitely have moveset potential, since he appeared in Fighting games like Street Fighter V and we saw him fighting characters. Also having a hulking brute in our roster doesn't really hurt especially when it comes from beat'em up game.

D

Deleted member

ABIGAIL (STREET FIGHTER)

Abigail is penultimate boss of Final Fight Arcade game and he is a giant-sized bodybuilder, who was former member or mad Gear gang as it was shown in his games.
He might be not very known Giant, but he also appeared in Street Fighter V as DLC Fighter.

He would definitely have moveset potential, since he appeared in Fighting games like Street Fighter V and we saw him fighting characters. Also having a hulking brute in our roster doesn't really hurt especially when it comes from beat'em up game.
I could be wrong but I don't think he quite counts. He's huge but I think we're looking for like kajiu sized characters. Its up to the op though

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
ABIGAIL (STREET FIGHTER)

Uhhh I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post, but this isn’t necessarily what I was looking for. What I was moreso looking for was something closer to the giant mechs in Tatsunoko, not characters who are slightly larger than the rest of the cast.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rathalos (Monster Hunter)
If we're going for a massive Capcom character then it only makes sense to go for a Monster Hunter Monster. There are a few options but I think this guy is hands down the most iconic.

Jehuty (Zone of the Enders)
Here I go submitting ZOE again. This is the main Orbtial Frame featured in the original game. He'd attack with his blade and a verity of sub weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #16: New Giant Fighters

Capcom - Grand Kaiser (Tech Romancer)

Grand Kaiser is the main protagonist of the 1998 3D arena fighter video game Tech Romancer, which was ported to the SEGA Dreamcast console in 2000 two years later and considered a spiritual sequel to Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness (Jin Saotome from Marvel vs. Capcom). It involves giant robot mechas fighting against each other while utilizing their weapons and was designed by mecha designer Shoji Kawamori and Studio Nue, who were responsible for many anime series such as The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Gunbuster and Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.

The game takes place in a far future of Earth, where advanced technology have made things calm and decent for the citizens of Japan and the rest of the world, which unfortunately ended when an evil alien tyrant, Goldibus, invaded the planet and seeks to conquer the Earth while enslaving the human race. A unlikely group of heroes with their own unique mecha robots, including Grand Kaiser's pilot Junpei Todoroki, who wants to avenge the death of his family, assembles together to fight Goldibus to keep the world safe from the imminent danger. Grand Kaiser later appeared as a cameo in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and All-Star Group.

In Konami vs. Capcom, Grand Kaiser will fight against opponents by dashing around with it's jets, firing rocket fists similarly to Mazinger Z, performing diving kicks, shooting out Kikaioh energy beams, dropping Napalm Bombs, using it's sword for powerful slash attacks such as flying uppercuts and a series/combo of strong swipes, summon a giant doomsday bomb that does massive damage and materialize a large rock to throw at them.

Konami - Vic Viper (Gradius)

I originally considered submitting a Moai head, as they're normally quite huge themselves and how they appeared in lots of other Konami games as a easter egg (first appearance being Pandora's Palace and TwinBee as Blockun before Gradius, plus a cameo in Skullgirls) and even a playable character, with other variants and a Kid Dracula-like puzzle spin-off, Moai-Kun, to bring up, but suddenly a fellow mascot from the same franchise came to my mind.

Vic Viper is the trans-dimensional spaceship that is controlled by the player as they face against the waves of Bacterian's alien empire throughout the shoot 'em up series Gradius, that Konami developed since it was first released for the arcades in 1985, having achieved high popularity to the point it got multiple sequels, spin-offs, appearances in other Konami games such as Parodius, Otomedius, Super Bomberman R and Zone of the Enders itself, outside them and even a Salamander OVA/anime series, with the Konami Code itself debuting in the first game's NES/Famicom port and the franchise having influenced/pioneered dozens of shoot 'em up games like Fantasy Zone (even though it's art style is closer to a fellow 1985 series that debuted in the arcades, TwinBee), R-Type, Darius, Thunder Force, etc. The games themselves includes a power-up meter gimmick that allows Vic Viper to use multiple different weapons such as speeding up, dropping missiles, firing laser beams and summoning Options to increase it's firepower or gear-like shields in-front of it.

For Konami vs. Capcom, we're focusing not only on Gradius, but also Zone of the Enders by compositing both of them, especially Vic Viper's appearance as the Laborious Extra-Orbital Vehicle (LEV; hence a huge size) that Leo Stenbuck pilots in The 2nd Runner, except with James Burton himself (Vic Viper's original pilot from Gradius, Nemesis 2 where he used Metalion, and Gradius ReBirth) instead for interaction dialogue with classic announcer phrases like a infamous "DESTROY THE CORE!", and Eric Kelso having previously voiced a unnamed pilot of Vic Viper T-301 in Gradius V.

Besides using it's normal blade arms and energy beam guns, Vic Viper can use additional weapons/power-ups (such as Ripple Laser) from the Gradius franchise, perform an air dash by using Speed Up, summon up to four Options that follows it around while shooting projectiles on their own and finally, transform into it's iconic spaceship form for various special moves (like a temporary flight move which mimics Gradius' gameplay) and supers, with a Level 3 one involving Vic Viper blasting off the opponent inside the Bacterian base's core by using a huge Galactic Laser beam from MSX's Nemesis 3 alongside other playable fighter ships in outer space, similarly to Mega Man and Ridley's Final Smashes in the Super Smash Bros. series.

If we went for traditional alternate costumes, I would've seen Lord British (pretty much the Gradius counterpart to :ultluigi:) from Salamander/Life Force with a similar mech body type, different accents, it's own ship form and a same-named pilot from the OVA series replacing James.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 16 - Capcom: Fortinbras (Onimusha)
1649522162001.png
1649524184477.png

The most powerful Genma, king of the demon world, a monstrous gargantuan creature and the primary antagonist of Onimusha Warlords and Onimusha Dawn of Dreams. Fortinbras has existed since time immemorial, a creature of chaos who created the Genma, a race of demons who wish to enslave humanity and sacrifice them in the name of power. Fortinbras even managed to take the soul of Oda Nobunaga shortly after his death and enslave him. Though defeated in Warlords, Dawn of Dreams sees the protagonist of that game attempting to prevent Fortinbras's resurrection. Fortinbras gets a snazzy human form in that game, too, which could be fun in a taunt or as a pre-battle animation.

1649523212483.png

Anyway, I just think he's a cool demon skeleton dragon and as a major antagonist would be awesome to play as and experience the power of.

Job 16 - Konami: Ryukotsuki (GetsuFumaDen)
1649523913946.png

1649523949208.png

GetsuFumaDen is an NES game (that recently got a sequel! Check it out!) perhaps best explained as "what if Castlevania focused on Japanese horror instead of Hammer horror". Ryukotsuki is the primary antagonist, final boss, and a common cameo character. According to the game it is "a demon from the deepest pits of Hell", who even crossed into the Castlevania franchise in the PS3 co-op game Harmony of Despair in its special GetsuFumaDen chapter. It is, as you can see, an extremely cool skeleton who is made up of other extremely cool skeletons. GetsuFumaDen is an interesting cut and I think this would be a sick way to represent it, especially since this character has shown up in various capacities in Konami Wai Wai World, Otomedius, and even as a Yu-Gi-Oh card.

Attachments

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Konami: Metal Gear Sahelanthropus (Metal Gear Solid)
Sahelanthropus.png

When I think Konami and I think of giant things that can fight, I think of the Metal Gear. Y'know, the thing that the series is named after. Throughout the series, many Metal Gears are featured. It is considered to be the ultimate army weapon, so much so that bad guys constantly try and use them to wage war. Simply put, they are basically big tanks on legs, equipped with a variety of weapons at their disposal, including usually a nuclear bomb (just not the one I'm submitting). They are usually the final bosses in their respective games, but the series has also given you the opportunity to control them in fights before.

I could really put any of the Metal Gears here but I'm going to argue for Sahelanthropus from MGSV for a few reasons. On a meta level, we are coming up on three Metal Gear reps and if we were to get a third rep, I would really like one from the Big Boss era. Sahelanthropus was one of the first ones in canon, and one of the best Metal Gear fights in the franchise. The battle with this is what many would consider to be a highlight in The Phantom Pain. To actually get a chance to fight as and against this thing in a fighting game setting would be awesome.

On top of it, it allows us to represent two more popular Metal Gear characters. In-game, the Metal Gear is controlled by TPP's Eli and Tretij, better known as Psycho Mantis and Liquid Snake. Tretij has burgeoning psychic powers, so in addition to the Metal Gear weaponry, you can have moves based around telekinesis.

Capcom: S-008 SUPER-8 and Devilotte
Devilot2.png

This menacing mech is one of the main playable characters in Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness, a fighting game all ABOUT giant robots dukin' it out. It may not seem like it's much of a threat to one of the upright robots, but please don't let its appearance fool you. Sure, it looks like a simple round ball-shaped ship with multiple tall legs standing up, but it has a unique quirk to it...
cyber_super8.gif

You're looking at this right. Those legs come out like tendrils, making it basically a giant octopus mech. I believe the uniqueness would make for a really standout and cool giant character for this game. While the SUPER-8 is made to be used underwater, it can actually fly on land and pierce you with those sharp pointed edges, and the majority of the fights in Cyberbots take place above land and in the stars. This ship is the traveling vessel and super weapon for a band of space pirates who fly around space looking for parts to steal and upgrade their mech with. Who would pilot such a ship?

Princess Devilotte.png

None other than Princess Devilotte de Deathsatan IX: a narcissistic and ruthless princess who embraces a life of piracy and villainy. She scours the galaxies plundering and conquering with the assistance of her henchmen, Dave the Scientist, and Xavier the Wizard (seen behind her in this image). Of all Cyberbots characters, it seems like Capcom likes her the most, so I think if we were going to have a Cyberbots rep she should be the one. On a major note, she appeared in both Puzzle Fighter games as a playable character, she was a support unit in Project X Zone, and she's made tons of cameos in various Capcom projects. Tech Romancer, the first Marvel vs Capcom AND Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and more recently she was one of the cameos on the arcade stage of the Street Fighter V. Both for her character and the fact I think it would make a unique and very fun mech, I think she would be an amazing pick for the roster.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay I have an idea for my own that I wanna put forward. It’s a tiny bit on the wacky side, but hear me out.

Job #16: Karl Heisenberg (Resident Evil)

BCBA98C6-6E28-4045-8BBB-DBAEC8010484.jpeg

While not as popular or well-known to outsiders as the tall vampire lady, Karl Heisenburg has established himself as a fan-favorite villain in his own right. As one of the four lords of the village, he served Mother Miranda and runs the Heisenberg Factory. At first glance, Heisenberg might not seem eligible for this job, being a normal sized human being and all. But that, my friends, is where you’re wrong. As the result of Miranda’s experiments, Heisenberg has the power of ferrokinesis, allowing him to control metal. And just what does he use this power for, you might ask? To mutate into a giant mess of scrap metal and sawblades, of course!

10C243EF-8D2C-4805-BD34-E44AF154807F.jpeg

The Heisenberg form I’m pitching is this giant boi right here. He’ll be in his human form for his entry animation and quickly mutate before the start of the match. We’ll probably have to change the design a bit so that it’s a little more mobile, but he’ll still have the same core abilities in this form. Sawblade arms, using his psychic abilities to slam more slabs of metal at you, the works. I just think Heisenberg would be a really fun out-there idea for an RE villain and he just so happens to work really well as a giant fighter. Truly a weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, submissions are now closed! Here’s what we got!

Konami:
Capcom:
Vote for your top two from each category. Your own submission may only go on last place.

1. Vic Viper
2. Jehuty

1. Devilotte
2. Rathalos

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Konami:
  1. Ryukotsuki
  2. Vic Viper
Capcom:
  1. Devilotte
  2. Grand Kaiser

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Voting has come to a close! Let’s see who are two biggest winners are:

Jehutty: 5
Vic: 12
Ryoukotsuki: 3
Metal Gear S.: 2

Rathalos: 7
Grand Kaiser: 4
Fortinbras: 0
Devilotte: 10
Heisenberg: 0

You’ve heard it here first, folks! The next two characters to join Konami vs Capcom, and our first batch of giant characters, are Vic Viper and Princess Devilotte in her SUPER-8 mech! Congrats to tonygameman tonygameman and PuyoWitch PuyoWitch for getting their characters in! Now onto the next round!

Job #17: Submit a Metal Gear stage and/or a Mega Man stage

It’s finally to start getting more specific with these stage prompts. I’ll come back to the broader stage jobs later, but I wanna mix things up just so we aren’t doing the same thing over and over again. This time, we’re looking at two of our big boys again. Both Metal Gear and Mega Man are way too big not to get stages to themselves, so why don’t we knock em out of the way right now? They can come from any game in either series, including spin-offs. As always, describe what the stage looks like, any possible cameos, any unique features or gimmicks, etc etc etc.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 17 (Capcom): Nino Island (Mega Man Legends 2)
1649769080091.png
1649769204462.png
1649769222311.png

Nino Island is the location of floating military base Ruminoa City in Mega Man Legends 2. It's hard to detail it in pictures exactly so here's the BGM that plays in this area. It's the defense location for the underwater Nino Ruins, a place that harbors a gem containing great power (and great value). As a result it's a very rigid and industrial area that also contains a lot of beautiful sculpture and relief work. It's also the site of an exciting battle against the sky pirate Glyde and his army of Birdbots who want to steal the gem, a battle that sees them trying to sabotage the heavily-armored doors as Roll Caskett works to repair Ruminoa's secret defense weapon to end the fight.

As a stage I see it taking place on one of the outer defense platforms, with the doors open to see inside the city where the mayor, soldiers, and other NPCs are milling around and performing their daily duties. In any round past the first one, the doors shut as Glyde attacks in the background, dodging defense rays from the superweapon that emerges from the top of the fortress and is manned by Roll.

Honestly, I picked this place because it's one of my favorite locations in MML2. I love the vibe, I love the Nino Ruins, and it's overall just a really fun and memorable part of the game for me.

For Metal Gear I'm re-submitting the final area of Metal Gear Solid 3. I think it's really neat!

Job #6 (Konami Edition): Rokovoj Bereg (Metal Gear Solid 3)

View attachment 347838

The Lake of Destiny, the final meeting place of Naked Snake and The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3. Just like the place it's based on, this is a simple stage, a field by the lake full of beautiful flowers that sway in the breeze, blowing petals across the battlefield. I see it as similar to the Field of Fate from the Street Fighter series in that it's a simple but meaningful level. There are minor cameos, though, as far, far off in the distance helicopters close in...

During the final round, the flowers turn from white to red in a smooth transition and the wind from the approaching helicopters is for more intense.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
If it doesn't close down by the time I get to it, I may submit a Metal Gear stage. For now, I am going to resubmit Undernet Square.

Job #6: Capcom Stage: Undernet Square (Mega Man)
View attachment 347852
The hive of scum and villainy in the Mega Man Battle Network games. It's basically the dark web of Mega Man.EXE's cyber world. It's a reoccurring area in the series, but it has different looks in every game it's in. The look I have in mind would be closest to its appearance in the third game (pictured above).

I think the Tron/Space Paranoids aesthetic could make for a fun looking stage, and I would include cameos from a few of the villainous 'NetNavis' in the background (Serenade.EXE, Cybeast Gregar, Cybeast Falzar, Dark MegaMan.EXE, and Bass.EXE), as well as the Count from the Konami series Boktai. Why the Count? He's actually a boss in the Japanese version of Mega Man Battle Network 6 in one of the rare Konami and Capcom crossovers that have happened, and this is where you fight him in the game.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, I think enough time has passed for us to start voting. Here’s our selection:

Metal Gear:
Vote for your favorite choice here:

Mega Man:
Vote for your favorite choice here:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
And the results are in. Rokovoj Bereg and Undernet Square will be our next two stages! Give it up to Flyboy Flyboy and PuyoWitch PuyoWitch for their wonderful submissions! Now onto the next round.

Job #18: Submit a Capcom boss

Aw yeah, we’re finally talking about bosses! What would a fighting game arcade mode be without a stupidly strong computer fighter waiting to completely body you at the end? I’ve held off on bosses for a while because I wanted to wait for just the right time, but now that we have our arcade mode structure figured out and I’ve had time to really think about how I wanna handle them, I think now’s a great time to start tackling them.

Basically, how bosses are gonna work is that each company is gonna get one boss that serves as the final obstacle, and a slightly weaker sub-boss that you fight right before the big bad. Since I want these boss jobs to feel like a Big Deal and since there’s only four total, I plan to space them out a bit more and focus only one one company per job. First off, we’re going to decide which one of Capcom’s super powerful baddies will serve as the main threat for the heroes. Describe where you’re going to be fighting them, what their moveset is like, any additional phases if applicable, and any other things you feel are necessary to include. There’s not really any big restrictions for who is or isn’t eligible, but do keep in mind that because we have giant characters on our roster, it might be a good idea to lean towards characters who are on the larger side for the sake of keeping things balanced. Do keep in mind that any character who wins this round will be disconfirmed for the base roster.

Anywho that’s all I have, let’s see what yall can come up with for bosses!

D

Deleted member

Zero Akima
A secret character from Cyberbots based on the demonic Street Fighter antagonist. He is a big mecha and has all the perks that come with that, but also has Akuma's moves, including his iconic raging demon.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #18: Lucifer (Ghouls 'N Ghosts)
Lucifer.png

No matter who we go for as this game's big threat on the Konami side, be it Dracula, a Metal Gear, or whatever, I really think Lucifer would be a perfect choice for this. Despite literally being the devil, not to mention the final boss of Ghouls 'N Ghosts, he's never really gotten a chance to take the spotlight in any of the crossover titles, and his boss fight is already perfect for a big fighting game like MvC.

I would have a similar boss fight to his Ghouls N Ghosts Resurrected fight with some additional moves thrown in. He sits on his throne and casually just hits you with a barrage of fire and lightning moves, and he also stomps and swats at you. All the while, you're also dealing with that dragon behind him who can wrap himself around the stage, and attacking it does nothing, but it can damage you if it hits you.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, it’s time to bring voting to a close! Here’s what we got:
Since we only have two submissions, I’m just gonna make this a poll. Vote for your fave here.

While we vote, I think now would be a good time to move onto our next character job and keep the momentum going.

Job #19: Submit a Capcom and Konami character who debuted in the 80s

For these next few jobs, we’re gonna be going through the decades and pulling characters from all different eras of Capcom and Konami history. We’re of course gonna be going in chronological order, starting with the 1980s. This is when both companies really started to establish themselves as dominant forces in the fledgling video game market. Not only were they dominating the arcades, but they’ve been wriggling their way into the average gamer’s household with their iconic releases for the NES and, moreso in Konami’s case, the MSX home computer. Obviously there’s a lot to pull from here, since this is where most of these company’s iconic franchises started, so I expect a great variety with our submissions. As always, I encourage you to submit characters from both companies, but don’t feel too pressured if you can only come up with an idea for one. In regards to second reps, what I said in the giants job still applies here. I’ll be allowing characters from already repped series to be submitted for this and all future jobs, but if a series hits the three character limit, it’s no longer eligible for the rest of the base game. Also in light of today being Easter, I’m going to leave this job open until Tuesday. Hopefully that’ll give yall plenty of time to get your submissions in.

That’s it for the rules, submit your totally tubular 80s characters. As for me, both of my submissions from the arcade job happen to be eligible here, so I’m just gonna put Haggar and TwinBee forward again.

Job #18 (Capcom Character): Mike Haggar (Final Fight)

View attachment 348117

Mike Haggar is a professional wrestler and mayor of Metro City. He’s one of the three player characters in Final Fight alongside Cody and Guy, who he teams up with to save his sister Jessica from the Mad Gear Gang. He’s also a regular in Capcom’s Slam Masters series, and cameos regularly in the Street Fighter series due to it and Final Fight taking place in the same universe.

I was gonna go for Akira originally, but Batsu was already submitted and I didn’t wanna step on the toes of another Rival Schools submission. Instead I decided to pull from the other Street Fighter Cinematic Universe™️ series and went with Haggar. I know he was already in two Vs. games and Final Fight probably has other characters who could use the spotlight, but come on! It’s Mike ****ing Haggar! The badass pro-wrestler mayor! Why wouldn’t you put this guy in anything you could given the opportunity? I won’t go too in depth with his playstyle because he’s already been in two MvC games, but he’d do a great job filling the obligatory Big Grappler Guy role that every fighting game has.

Konami Character: TwinBee

View attachment 348116

Going from Big Beefy Wrestler Boy to cute little spaceship, TwinBee is the titular sentient aircraft from the TwinBee series. To protect Donburi Island from invaders, the inventor Dr. Cinnamon decided to invent two ships, TwinBee and WinBee, who would help fight off the enemies. Debuting in arcades in 1985, TwinBee would go on to be a pretty big success for Konami, spawning multiple sequels, anime and manga adaptations, and a ** ton of cameos in other Konami games. We kinda have to include him somewhere, and it just so happens that he has more than enough material to work with as a fighter. Being from a shoot-em-up game, TwinBee would use a lot of missile and bomb attacks. He’s not just limited to shooting though. His fists are another reliable asset of his, and he also has a hammer he uses as a weapon. There’s absolutely nothing stopping him from completely wrecking ** should he get into Concerto of Champions. Also look at him, he’s too cute not to include!

Last edited:
80's characters:
Capcom:
Nathan Radd Spencer (Bionic Commando)

Alright, we had a lad on this submission!
Presenting, Nathan Radd Spencer!

That's right, fellas! Nathan Radd Spencer is main character of Bionic Commando games and he is a soldier that has mechanical arm that has ability to use grapple hook or shoot a projectile at opponents. He fights Nazis who try to take over the world.
He debuted in 80's and he got rebooted in 2009, which is very cool for a 80's character.

He has moveset potential taken from his games, like his iconic metallic arm that can turn into grappling hook that can be used in fights.

Konami:
Bonk (Bonk)

Stepping aside from futuristic lads, we gotta a prehistoric baby boy that has hard head...
Presenting, Bonk!

Bonk, aka PC Genjin or Super PC Kid is a main protagonist of self-titled platformer series "Bonk" and he is a baby caveboy, whose head is very hard that can damage anyone with his Signature attack, bonking with his head.
Bonk needs to save princess Za from evil King Drool (Main Villain of Bonk games) and he defeats a lot of enemies and bosses with power of his head.
He was created by Hudson Soft for Turbografx-16 computer and he was mascot of it.

Bonk's moveset would include his iconic move: Headbutt and he would also use other attacks like punching or even biting like a real feral caveman!
Also Bonk would get a slight redesign to fit the modern times (Maybe Dragon Ball-esque redesign would fit since we haven't got any Bonk games since 90's).

Top Bottom