• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: An Alternate SSB Universe, Part II: Melee

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I mean, Master Hand is good pick, but I preferred Nintendo Man, because of Smash bros being Nintendo Allstars and Nintendo Man is NES made by Nintendo, yknow?

Job 74:
Unira (Resubmission)

Acts same like in Smash.
I do like the idea of Nintendo Man, and I think he’d be a great boss in place of Tabuu for Smash 3’s Adventure Mode.

I think the roster is pretty good and some really neat choices. Some characters did miss out on the roster (Zelda, Game & Watch, third parties, etc.), but there's always the upcoming Smash 3 thread, which I'm looking forward to. By the way, how will cuts be handled? Will we vote on who has to go?

Also, had I known that there would be four submissions for clones, lining up with the empty slots left, and no votes, I probably would've submitted Marill as a water based clone of Pikachu over Toad. I don't regret submitting Toad, nor do I want him switched out, as I think he serves as a nice tribute to the old rumor of him being playable in Melee, but with hindsight, I would've waited until the next thread to submit him.
Compared to the actual Melee roster, it is nice to see ours adding major characters missing the original game (Wario, Diddy, Dedede) and giving Ganon(dorf) a unique moveset. Also, Giygas is a really interesting choice of a clone that I would’ve never thought of. Outside of the obvious (Zelda and Third Parties), I’m curious to see which Pokemon and retros get added. I forgot to mention this, but I like seeing how the frontrunners for both the original and alternate Smash 2 poll made the cut (Bowser in the original, Wario, Dedede, Peach, Ganon, Mewtwo, and in ours Yoshi and Ness)
In terms of cuts, I’ll probably do it similar to this thread where we vote for which characters should stay, but the characters will be pooled into unique (everyone except clones and Luigi) and “clones”, Our Smash 3 roster will be similar to Brawl‘s where it gets 32 unique newcomers (including Snake and Sonic; Snake will be one of the opening prompts since he was a personal request from Kojima) and 7 “clones” (I’m counting Jigglypuff in this group since it has a similar model to Kirby)
I kind of did the all submissions idea being added last minute since we were almost done with the thread, so I thought that adding everyone’s submissions would be nice to see.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Do you think it would be possible to bring a unique veteran back over Wolf/the empty pseudo clone slot? I only ask because I've seen someone mention it before and I think the timing could work out; he had slightly less time put into him than a completely distinct newcomer, but I think it could be enough to have someone return. Just a thought, I can understand if things may not be able to actually work out.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
This was fun. I managed to get a fighter in (Diddy Kong) along with a bit of Pokèball Pokémon. Hopefully I get to join more, as long as there is less crashing of this sight (the reason why I don’t post as often)

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
This was fun. I managed to get a fighter in (Diddy Kong) along with a bit of Pokèball Pokémon. Hopefully I get to join more, as long as there is less crashing of this sight (the reason why I don’t post as often)
There'll be more to cover, as the next game is bigger than the last two, so don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Do you think it would be possible to bring a unique veteran back over Wolf/the empty pseudo clone slot? I only ask because I've seen someone mention it before and I think the timing could work out; he had slightly less time put into him than a completely distinct newcomer, but I think it could be enough to have someone return. Just a thought, I can understand if things may not be able to actually work out.
I‘d like to say yes, but it probably wouldn’t be possible since Mewtwo was the only unique veteran left out on the original roster, and I saw another thread that supposedly Mewtwo was cut because it was difficult to reuse it’s Melee’s assets, meaning that it’s development time would be similar to a newcomer’s. (I can think about this before we get to that point since this would be near the end of Smash 3).

I’m happy to hear you liked this. There is one more Pokemon prompt for this thread, and there’ll be three more threads for the upcoming entries.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
I‘d like to say yes, but it probably wouldn’t be possible since Mewtwo was the only unique veteran left out on the original roster, and I saw another thread that supposedly Mewtwo was cut because it was difficult to reuse it’s Melee’s assets, meaning that it’s development time would be similar to a newcomer’s. (I can think about this before we get to that point since this would be near the end of Smash 3).
Thanks for the heads up.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
From the items, there were two nominations: Lip’s Stick ( Pupp135 Pupp135 ) and Unira ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds ), both of which will be added. Since one more item can be added, the first submission will be added by default.

For Ness’s moveset, we’ll stick with the original one.

For King Dedede, there is a poll to decide if his side and down specials are going to be his original moves or if they should be respectively changed to Hammer Throw and Hammer Spin.

Job 76: Submit a Pokemon and how it would work.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
I'll submit another event.

Terrorsome Trio:
You play on Meta Crystal as a character of choice against Black Shadow, Giygas, and Mewtwo. It's basically Troublesome Trio, but with the three remaining villains (counting the first Pokémon movie for Mewtwo) and a different stage.

Job 76:

Since its current form is a playable character and its baby counterpart is a Pokeball summon, I figured I may as well Pikachu's evolution in the form of Raichu. It uses Tail Whip as its attack.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
For our last Pokemon, there will be a poll to decide between Raichu ( Butters Stotch Butters Stotch ) and Zapdos ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )

Also, Dedede‘s side and down specials are respectively Hammer Throw and Hammer Spin.

The next job is to add a stage and describe how it would work.

I’m going to renominate Goldenrod City, which works similar to Saffron City.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Zapdos is the winner of the poll for the last pokemon, so it will be added.
Since there were only 3 nominations, all three nominated stages will be added (Goldenrod City, Big Blue, Flat Zone).
Job 78: Submit the three all star type events missing.

All Star Event: Mario’s Friends and Rivals
Order: Luigi (Mushroom Kingdom), Peach (Princess Peach’s Castle), Yoshi (Yoshi’s Island), Wario (Wario’s Castle), Bowser (Bowser‘s Castle)

All Star Event: Newcomers
Order: Diddy Kong (Bramble Blast), Ness (Onett), King Dedede (Fountain of Dreams), Ganon (Pyramid of Power), Mewtwo (Pokemon Stadium)

All Star Event: Bonus Fighters
Order: Toad (Princess Peach‘s Castle), Falco (Corneria), Young Link (Great Bay), Black Shadow (Big Blue), Giygas (Onett), Roy (Castle Siege)

I’ll submit a few events later

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 78:

All-Star Battle 3 (focuses on characters that are either from outer space or, for Ness and Black Shadow, have some sort of connection to it; Mewtwo is only here because of his alien-like appearance):
  • Black Shadow (Big Blue)
  • Falco (Corneria)
  • Mewtwo (Goldenrod City)
  • Ness and Giygas (Onett)

All-Star Battle 4 (similar to the OP's submission, but focuses on Mario characters that got their own games and are fought in order of when said games released):
  • Wario (Wario's Castle)
  • Toad (Princess Peach's Castle)
  • Yoshi (Yoshi's Island)
  • Diddy Kong (Gangplank Galleon)
  • Luigi (Mushroom Kingdom)

All-Star Battle 5 (focuses on characters themed around royalty with Young Link thrown in because I don't know what to do with him):
  • Peach (Princess Peach's Castle)
  • Young Link and Ganon (Pyramid of Power)
  • King Dedede (Fountain of Dreams)
  • Roy (Castle Siege)
  • Bowser (Bowser's Stadium)

Last edited:
Job 78:

Allstar Event 3: Halfway to Victory!
Opponents:
  • Mario (Peach's Castle)
  • Link & Young Link (Great Bay)
  • Kirby (Halberd)
  • Pikachu (Pokefloats)

Allstar Event 4: Penultimate Melee!
Opponents:
  • Fox and Falco (Corneria)
  • Marth (Archanea)
  • Ness (Onett)
  • Captain Falcon and Samus (Mute City)

Allstar Event 5: The Last Showdown!
Opponents:
  • Mewtwo (Pokemon Stadium)
  • Black Shadow (Big Blue)
  • Giygas (Out of this Dimension)
  • Bowser and Ganon (Duel Zone)

(I made them if they were 3 last Allstar Events)

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the nominations:

Pupp135 Pupp135 : Mario’s Friends and Rivals (Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, Bowser), Newcomers (Diddy, Ness, Dedede, Ganon, Mewtwo), Bonus Fighters (clones)
Butters Stotch Butters Stotch : All-Star Battle 3 (Black Shadow, Falco, Mewtwo Ness, Giygas), All-Star Batlle 4 (Wario, Toad, Yoshi, Diddy, Luigi), All-Star Battle 5 (Peach, Young Link, Ganon, Dedede, Roy, Bowser)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds : Halfway to Victory (Mario, the Links, Kirby, Pikachu), Pentultimate Melee (Fox and Falco, Marth, Ness, Falcon), The Last Showdown (Mewtwo, Black Shadow, Giygas, Bowser, Ganon)

Vote for your two most wanted, where your submission is not first.

1. All-Star Battle 3 (Black Shadow, Falco, Mewtwo Ness, Giygas), All-Star Batlle 4 (Wario, Toad, Yoshi, Diddy, Luigi), All-Star Battle 5 (Peach, Young Link, Ganon, Dedede, Roy, Bowser)
2. Mario’s Friends and Rivals (Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, Bowser), Newcomers (Diddy, Ness, Dedede, Ganon, Mewtwo), Bonus Fighters (clones)

Also, feel free to submit additional event battles or submit one last item (the first item submission will be selected). After this job, there will be only two more jobs: choosing which fighters are unlockable and additional alts for characters

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
1. Pupp135
2. Mine

(accidentally put the votes in the wrong order)

Here are some names I came up with for my submissions:
  • All-Star Battle 3: Out of this World
  • All-Star Battle 4: Side Marios
  • All-Star Battle 5: Royal Rumble
The first two can just have their decades named (1980s and 1990s respectively).

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
1639755803011.jpeg

As it was featured in Melee, but no other Smash game, I'll submit the Cloaking Device from Perfect Dark. When we get to doing Smash 3/Brawl, I'll submit another item with the same purpose and function (like the Vanish Box or the Stealth Suit from Star Fox Assault).

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes
Mine 2
Butters Stotch Butters Stotch 7.5
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds 2.5

We’ll use Butters Stotch Butters Stotch ’s events

While I originally mentioned that the first submitted item would be selected, there will be a poll since the submissions were close enough.

Last Jobs: List which characters (note, the original 8 were Mario, Excitebiker, Link, Samus, Marth, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu) and stages should be unlockable, and state their criteria. Also, submit any special alts that you would like to add.

For my unlockable fighters, I’ll go with the six clones in addition to Mewtwo, Diddy, Ganon, Ness, and King Dedede.
Criteria
Toad: Beat Classic/Adventure Mode as Peach or play 20 matches.
Diddy: Beat Classic/Adventure Mode or play 10 matches
Young Link: Beat Classic Mode with 10 fighters or play 40 matches
Ganon: Beat Classic/Adventure Mode as Link or play 140 matches
Roy: Beat Classic Mode as Marth or play 160 matches
King Dedede: Beat 10 events or play 60 matches
Falco: Beat Century Smash or play 80 matches
Mewtwo: Play for 20 cumulative hours or play 200 matches
Black Shadow: Beat Classic Mode in 15 minutes or Adventure Mode in 30 minutes or play 120 matches
Ness: Play vs. with the entire starting cast or play 100 matches
Giygas: Beat Target Test with all starting characters or play 180 matches

Stages
Bowser’s Castle: Beat Classic Mode as Bowser
Bowser’s Stadium: Beat All Star
Fountain of Dreams: Beat Target Test with all fighters
Corneria: Survive 15 minute Smash
Poke Floats: Play 50 matches
Big Blue: Play 100 matches
Onett: Unlock Ness
Duck Hunt: Beat Classic Mode on Very Hard
Flat Zone: Beat Adventure Mode on Very Hard
Metal Cavern: Beat All Star with 5 characters
Duel Zone: Beat all event matches

Before I submit additional alts, I want to first submit an armorless alt for Samus and a Daisy alt for Peach since armorless Samus was an Easter Egg/spoiler in Metroid, and Daisy has a similar appearance to Peach.
Debut appearance

I’ll submit a couple more events

It’s My Turn to Be the Hero
Player Character: Toad
Stage: Bowser‘s Castle
This is similar to Princess in Peril in Melee, except the stage is Bowser‘s Castle

Rising Warrior
Player Character: Young Link
Stage: Golden Pyramid
This is a 1v1 match against giant Wario, who has 2 lives, and you have 1.

Racetrack Revenge
Player Character: Black Shadow
Stage: Big Blue
This is a 1v2 match against Excitebiker and Falcon

Princes vs. Young Warriors
Player Character: Roy
Stage: Castle Seige
This is a 2v2 battle against Link and Young Link, and your partner is Marth. You and Marth have 2 lives, and the Links have 3.

Intergalactic Destruction
Player Character: Giygas
Stage: Out of this Dimension
This is a 1v3 event against Fox, Falco, and Samus. You have 2 lives, and everyone else has 1,

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 79:

Luigi is the only unlockable veteran. Diddy, Dedede, Ness, Mewtwo, and the clones are the unlockable newcomers. Their criteria?
  • Diddy Kong - Complete Classic Mode/play 25 vs. matches
  • Young Link - Complete Classic Mode with no continues/play 50 vs. matches
  • Falco - Complete Century Smash/play 75 vs. matches
  • Dedede - Complete Adventure Mode/play 100 vs. matches
  • Ness - Complete 15 events/play 150 vs. matches
  • Luigi - Complete the first Adventure Mode stage with a 2 at the end of the timer/play 200 vs. matches
  • Black Shadow - Complete Traverse the Level or Target Test with all starter character/play 250 vs. matches
  • Mewtwo - Play for a total of 20 hours/play 300 vs. matches
  • Toad - Complete Classic Mode with all starter characters/play 350 vs. matches
  • Roy - Complete 30 events/play 400 vs. matches
  • Giygas - Complete Target Test with every other character/play 450 vs. matches

Unlockable stages:
  • Gangplank Galleon - Collect the King K. Rool trophy
  • Big Blue - Complete Classic Mode with Captain Falcon and Black Shadow
  • Out of this Dimension - Unlocked with Falco
  • Halberd - Complete Classic Mode on Hard
  • Golden Pyramid - Collect a combined total of 1000 coins in Coin Battle
  • Fountain of Dreams - Get 1 or more K.Os in Killer Smash
  • Mushroom Kingdom - Complete Adventure Mode with all five Mario characters
  • Duck Hunt - Complete Race to the Finish with every character in Classic Mode
  • Bowser's Stadium - Complete Traverse the Level with every character
  • Flat Zone - Complete Classic or Adventure on Very Hard
  • Duel Zone - Complete Classic Mode with all characters
  • Metal Cavern - Complete All-Star Mode with all characters
1639821204363.jpeg

Since I don't want to go overboard with special alts, as I have quite a few ideas, I'll just submit Mach Rider (for Excitebiker) and Raichu. Mach Rider gives us further retro representation and can fit over Excitebiker well, as they both ride motorcycles. Raichu is compensation for the lack of a Pokémon clone and is quite popular.

Last edited:
Alt Submittion:
Fox: Wolf O'Donnell (Fox's Rival and popular star fox Character)
Ness: Paula (Ness' friend and one of Earthbound's popular characters)

My Criteria submittion:
Fighters:
  • Diddy Kong: Complete Classic Mode
  • Toad: Complete Classic mode with peach with no Continues
  • Falco: Play 25 matches
  • Dedede: Play 50 Matches
  • Ness: Complete 10 Events
  • Luigi: Complete Traverse through level
  • Black Shadow: Play 100 Matches
  • Mewtwo: Complete Adventure Mode
  • Young Link: Complete Classic Mode while playing Link
  • Giygas: Play 150 Matches
  • Roy: Complete 50 Events

Stages:
  • Gangplank Galleon:
  • Halberd: Unlock King Dedede
  • Out of this Dimension:
  • Golden Pyramid: Unlock Wario
  • Onett: Unlock Ness
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Complete Adventure Mode
  • Duck Hunt: Play 200 Matches
  • Bowser's Stadium: Complete Adventure Mode on Very Hard
  • Flat Zone: Unlock all Others Trophies
  • Duel Zone: Complete Classic Mode with All characters
  • Metal cavern: Complete Allstar mode with all characters/Complete All events

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Went through pretty much all of the alts I would add or change, including ones for the characters absent from the original game. Anything not mentioned would remain the same.

Mario:
  • Brown alt is replaced with Fire Mario
  • Green alt has blue overalls to resemble Luigi
Luigi:
  • Blue alt is replaced with a purple one to resemble Waluigi (Samus's purple alt in Melee is listed as part of the blue team, so I think this could work)
  • Pink alt is replaced with a red and blue alt in contrast to Mario's green alt
Peach:
  • Daisy replaces the recolor based on her (mentioned by OP)
  • Her white alt’s hair is now red to resemble her SMB1 sprite
Bowser:
  • Red, blue, and black alts are replaced with his recolors from Mario Golf 64
Toad:
  • Red alt (default)
  • Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple alts based on the then upcoming Super Mario Sunshine
Donkey Kong:
  • Black alt is replaced with an orange one to reference Lanky Kong
Diddy Kong:
  • Has his first five alts (only a few characters had four or six alts) from Brawl
Yoshi:
  • Blue (not cyan) alt is replaced with Black Yoshi
Wario:
  • Red alt from Brawl has a black shirt instead of a blue one to reference VB Wario Land
  • White Brawl alt is kept to reference Wario Land 3
  • Has his blue and green alts from Mario Golf 64
Excitebiker:
  • Red alt (default)
  • Orange alt based on the cover for Excitebike NES
  • Blue alt based on one of the opponents
  • Green and brown alt based on the grass and track colors
Mach Rider (Excitebiker alt):
  • Original appearance based on NES sprite
  • Melee trophy appearance
Link:
  • White alt is replaced with the Fierce Deity alt from Smash 4 and Ultimate
Young Link:
  • White alt is replaced with his pink one from Ultimate
  • Black alt is replaced with a slightly darker green alt with pink hair to resemble his ALTTP sprite
Ganon:
  • Blue alt (default)
  • Cyan alt based on his Zelda I sprite
  • Red alt based on Agahnim
  • Dark green alt based on Ganondorf
  • Black alt based on the Zelda II game over screen
Samus:
  • Brown alt is replaced with a yellow one that resembles her Super Metroid sprite
  • Purple alt is replaced with a blue one that resembles Ray from Custom Robo
  • Now has a Zero Suit alt (mentioned by OP)
Captain Falcon:
  • Green alt is replaced with the one from Smash 4
Black Shadow:
  • Purple alt (default)
  • Yellow alt based on Dr. Stewart and, in hindsight, Falcon's yellow alt from Smash 4
  • Red, green, and blue alts for all three teams colors
Kirby:

(this, but white)
  • White alt now resembles Classic Kirby and has slightly different facial expressions
King Dedede:
  • Has his Brawl alts, except for the purple one
Fox:
  • Blue alt is replaced with a cyan jacket and white fur to resemble Fay from the cancelled Star Fox 2
  • Orange alt has blue fur to resemble Krystal in the Dinosaur Planet prototype (which was dated 2000, the year Melee began development)
  • Now has an alt that replaces him with Wolf (mentioned by Tankman)
Falco:
  • Green alt is replaced with a blue jacket and green feathers to resemble Leon Powalski
Marth:
  • White alt has brown hair to resemble Leif
Roy:
  • Default alt is now assigned to blue team in team battles
  • Blue alt is replaced with a white alt with blue hair to resemble Sigurd
Ness
  • Yellow alt is replaced with his black one from Brawl
  • Now has an alt that replaces him with Paula (mentioned by Tankman)
Giygas:
  • White alt (default)
  • Red and black alts to reference his form in Earthbound
  • Blue alt to reference parts of his original sprite/Giegue
  • Green alt to round off the three teams colors
Pikachu:
  • Hats are replaced with its red, green, and blue alts from SSF2
  • Also has Raichu (mentioned above)
Mewtwo:
  • Green alt is replaced with Shiny Mewtwo (original greenish yellow color)

Also, will there be All-Star trophies like in the original game or will they be replaced with another prize?

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Do you think we should have a limit to how many third parties should be in Brawl? Nothing against them, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to dedicate most newcomer slots to them.

I have to wonder who will get cut.
I’ll limit it to at most 2 or 3 third-party fighters (excluding Snake, who will be decided on from a poll since he was a personal request from Kojima).
For cuts, I can only really see clones and maybe Ness getting cut, so newer semi-clones like Wolf, Dixie, and Lucas join.

I feel like Sonic should probably make it in. After that I'd argue Megaman is the third most likely but a case could be made for characters like Bomberman, Banjo and Pac-Man, amoung others. Its gonna be tough to choose.
I believe Sonic, Banjo and Pacman are gonna be likely ones to Join.

Top Bottom