• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 30th

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't think this is a Zelda-style targeting system, people. I'm pretty sure it's just a visual cue. I don't think you'll be able to "lock on" to an opponent to make attacking them easier. This just puts a reticule over somebody, I think.

Last edited:

IKEkameHAMEha

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5300-8881-3567
I don't think this is a Zelda-style targeting system, people. I'm pretty sure it's just a visual cue. I don't think you'll be able to "lock on" to an opponent to make attacking them easier.
yes i agree it will go when she teleports then reappear when she is done sakurai would not do this to zelda players.

Last edited:

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
im pretty sure the stock will be shown in those shaded rectangles above each charcters damage in the screen shots we got today on the bottom screen below where its says P1 P2 P3 P4

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Mario at 3%? Half Life 3 confirmed!

Link with the highest damage %? Sakurai is actively antagonizing the Zelda franchise and it's fanbase.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm happy we're finally able to know what the bottom screen is.
I've been wanting to know since forever!

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
What a huge nerf to characters that can mind-game or teleport.

This is also a buff to characters who need such a targeting system. Characters like Link and Ike could definitely use this to their advantage against Zelda, Sheik, Pikachu and Fox, due to their rather fast recoveries. This makes them outright predictable now and could land them in a bad spot within the metagame, as the targeting system can be used as a technique.
Buddy, this is on the 3DS. I'm sure no one's going to trying to use advanced tactics or actual competitive play on the casual version of Smash.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
If someone has said this already then sorry. I'm not gonna read every post.

In melee if you had a tag then you could see how sheik/zelda moved when they were "teleporting". In Brawl they fixed it and made the tag disappear when a teleport happened. I'm pretty sure the same is going to apply to this.

And keep in mind sakurai said highligh... not target. Some of these posts are acting like it's an auto target system.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
This could be really useful for team battles, IMO. It would be a lot easier to keep track of your partner when he/she is in danger or needs assistance

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I was always wondering what they were going to do with the bottom screen on the 3DS. I'm glad this is what they did with it. I can see things being interesting as far as the lock-on mechanic goes. It makes me wonder with Greninja's Shadow Sneak and Sheik's Up-B if it will track them through their actions. Hopefully that's a no, like they did with tags in brawl. I can see this being really helpful, however, when characters blend in with the background.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm thinking Stocks and the like will appear just above the characters' names on the bottom screen. While the time will probably appear on the top screen still.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm thinking Stocks and the like will appear just above the characters' names on the bottom screen. While the time will probably appear on the top screen still.
YEAH! And coins will!... Wait, I forgot... no one plays coin battle.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Coins would probably be in the same place that Stocks would appear, since I believe you can't have both on at the same time.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
This looks almost exactly like that mock-up someone did in the Smash 4 subforum.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
What a huge nerf to characters that can mind-game or teleport.

This is also a buff to characters who need such a targeting system. Characters like Link and Ike could definitely use this to their advantage against Zelda, Sheik, Pikachu and Fox, due to their rather fast recoveries. This makes them outright predictable now and could land them in a bad spot within the metagame, as the targeting system can be used as a technique.
Not necessarily, it probably only affects the character when they are visible.

Also, fox had a pretty linear recovery, and it wasn't that fast.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Cool but I want to know about the shield? Sakurai has not given any intel
Totally forgot about the shield.... no i'm curious. And it's not just about how the shield will work but i'm more interesting in if it will look different from brawl. Why am i more interesting in looks over mechanics.... idk :p

Last edited:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The downside now being you have to take your eyes away from the action to check percentages.
If you still have trouble using both screens for DS titles at this point, there's really little hope for you.

More precisely, your periferal vision is more sensitive to changing shapes and motion than your focal vision, such that seeing percentages changing as characters are hit, especially when the numbers are made to be this large, becomes a very easy proposition. The brain is strong enough at processing that you can flash your eyes down without even "looking" at the numbers and your brain will be able to piece together the necessary information in a shorter time than it takes to blink.

As a matter of fact, the eye only takes in an extremely tiny fraction of the information fed into it (The approximate size of the focal area of your eye is the size of your thumbnail when held at arm's length). Everything outside of that miniscule area is blocky and blurry, but your brain can figure it out with very limited information since it's practiced visual processing for, well in the minimum case for smashboards, 13 years.

Last edited:

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
I like how it shows their franchise icons in the top left:
Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog,
Samus from Metroid,
Link from The Legend of Zelda,
and Mario from 3DS

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
Makes "relentlessly targeting an individual" a bannable offense,
adds an option to easily target an individual.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, still confused on where the stocks and timer are going to show up...
In the Direct, the Timer shows up on the top screen.

As for stock and such, there is an overlay at the top of the character art slots, and black bar below them that could display it.

Last edited:

Hiro of Time

Smash Rookie
It'd be cute if the characters on the character display flinch when they take damage or flinch when they lose a stock, kinda like Kingdom Hearts, for those of you who have ever played a game of the series.

Also, Link confirmed low tier ._____.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Think of this the other way for Link: He managed to take all that damage and NOT get KO'd. That is at least commendable.

Makes "relentlessly targeting an individual" a bannable offense,
adds an option to easily target an individual.
That is most likely for the Wii U version. If it is on the 3DS version, then what most likely will happen, is that the targeting/marking system will be off automatically.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It'd be cute if the characters on the character display flinch when they take damage or flinch when they lose a stock, kinda like Kingdom Hearts, for those of you who have ever played a game of the series.

Also, Link confirmed low tier ._____.
It's a very common occurrence in Japanese fighting games that utilize character portraits to the left and right of the action.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
That bottom screen pic looks like something done in Photoshop...but I'm glad that Sakurai actually acknowledge the 3DS game and post pics of it.

LinkmasterX9

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkmasterX9
3DS FC
5343-8072-9987
It's weird how people are saying that Link is low tier just based off a picture. There could be a chance that everyone got KOed and Link was the only one who hadn't yet. That or handicap.

D

Deleted member

'RIDLEY' can fit in those name spaces. Ridley Confirmed?

Top Bottom