• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 2nd

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. We didn't introduce ALL of the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here's Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western!! He may rival Sonic in the art of rolling."

He also included a second picture saying "Pic of the day. This is his trophy. He may be an animal, and his buckles are definitely on the adorable side, but there's no denying he looks cool!! His Assist Trophy can even do things like a quick charge."

Last edited by a moderator:

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
Hope I wasn't the only one expecting a Meta Knight reveal today.

Then again, not seeing Meta Knight might be a good thing.

Jupo

Smash Cadet
Wow Meta Knight does look different with that hat on

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The first character of the threads I created to be deconfirmed.

He looks beautiful in HD though

I want to see more Dillon in Nintendo's future

A Cowboy western would be a welcome addition to their line of series

Poor Dillon! I know quite a few people wanted him to be playable. He's an interesting character, but my hopes weren't high, since he's all about rolling.

Tune in next week for Shulk's assist trophy.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Interesting to see the relation to Sonic here. I remember completing the streetpass panel for Dillon's Rolling Western and watching the animation and thinking "Hmmm...this guy seems inspired by Sonic...but they'll probably never be in the same game together". I stand corrected.

[EDIT] The designers went pretty hard on his design. Heck, even his assist trophy looks more detailed than some of the ones we've already seen.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
My sympathies to his supporters. Maybe next time.

But if it's any consolation, you guys have the best looking AT revealed so far.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I love the AT choices this time around o.o

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Although he was a character I only kinda wanted to see playable (partly because my best friend had the first game and loved it), it's kinda disappointing due to the model alone. Seriously, he looks as good as the playable fighters, if not better than some of them.

Though, that comparison to Sonic may be a hint as to why he isn't playable. Maybe they just couldn't make him feel different enough to Sonic in terms of rolling attacks.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I've no idea who this character was before his announcement, but he looks awesome. Shame hes not playable, but I bet he will make a killer assist trophy. Welcome to Smash Bros. Dillon!

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
I do admit. This seems to get me abit off guard since he never crossed my mind. To be honest, I only heard of him, but never played his game. However when I look at it in this perspective, he seems like a perfect fit as an Assist Trophy.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. We didn't introduce ALL of the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here's Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western!! He may rival Sonic in the art of rolling."

He also included a second picture saying "Pic of the day. This is his trophy. He may be an animal, and his buckles are definitely on the adorable side, but there's no denying he looks cool!! His Assist Trophy can even do things like a quick charge."

Now all we need is like half of the gematsu smash leak characters to be confirmed as assist trophies and I can then smugly rub in their faces the phrase " I TOLD YA SOOO!!!" ;)

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
I kind of wanted him as a playable character, kind of. Oh well, still got him in the game :3. I'm guessing as an assist trophy, he will roll around maybe do some attacks with his arms or legs, and apparently he can quick charge.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh well. I always thought he would be a waste of a roster slot, as he can only do one thing, so I'm glad to see him as an assist. I'm sure he'll fit well. He does look astounding in HD though.

This also confirms that system-exclusive series assists trophies will be on both consoles, as Dillon's Rolling Western was only on the 3DS. That means there is still hope for an HD Fawful assist....

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Never played his games but i've loved him as a character, he's pretty awesome. Wish he could be in but as peeps have already stated, him being like the most well-designed AT so far in terms of aesthetics is a nice consolation. :D

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Wow. I almost feel like its best for him this way. Ah well. Glad he made into the game at least.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Although he was a character I only kinda wanted to see playable (partly because my best friend had the first game and loved it), it's kinda disappointing due to the model alone. Seriously, he looks as good as the playable fighters, if not better than some of them.

Though, that comparison to Sonic may be a hint as to why he isn't playable. Maybe they just couldn't make him feel different enough to Sonic in terms of rolling attacks.
If you see the thread on Dillon we have many response to how he can be unique from Sonic. Anyway judging by Sakurai's response for Dillon and the fact he gave out 2 pics of the guy makes me have high hopes for the next game. Dillon looks like he has way to much polish to not be considered a playable character at some point in development.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least the eShop only titles are getting some representation. To be fair, I didn't really think that Dillon would've made it as a playable anyway.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
For those hoping for a character reveal because of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, take into account that the game released in Japan back in January, and I believe that was the time when Dedede was revealed. If they're doing character reveals tied in with game releases, it is Japan's release date, not North America's or Europe's.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
My third most wanted character. So much missed potential, he's not all about rolling, afterall, he has so many other attacks and abilities in his games such as dynamite, digging underground and those homing claw attacks.

Ah well, his model is beautifully made and he's still getting some good representation in the game. I'm glad he's an assist trophy, so he gets to interact with the fighters still, worst case scenario would be not appearing at all. :)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For those hoping for a character reveal because of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, take into account that the game released in Japan back in January, and I believe that was the time when Dedede was revealed. If they're doing character reveals tied in with game releases, it is Japan's release date, not North America's or Europe's.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
*cough cough*
*Movie voice*
"This summer. This is a story about Mighty leaving Sega forever. He goes into the wild west to get tougher. Now that Mighty has been hardened, he decided to change his name to Dillon.... And now he's back, for revenge."

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Im not buying Triple Deluxe now. Thanx Sakuai.

But seriously, Im pretty bummed. My hopes werent that high, but they were there. His moves couldve been super different to Sonics. He only needed one spin move, whereas sonic has 3 (umless they changed that). I mean that shouldnt be a problem bc Yoshi has a spin move. Its okay tho. I just have to move on now.

Hopefully we get a rolling western stage.

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Rolling around at the speed of sound, got places to go gotta FOLLOW MY RAINBOW ~

To be honest, I totally thought Dillon had a chance to be playable. Not disappointed that he's an AT though.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
So yeah, never played this game he's in, but he looks cool though. *Wondering if Nintendo is doing more with this character...*

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
"Holy ****! It's that character I didn't know existed until people talked about him on the forums! And he's that good at rolling?!"

He looks really good, though. From the small amount of art that I've seen of him, he looks like he's probably pretty much perfect.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dillon looks amazing. For those that haven't checked out the eShop titles, Dillon's are some of the best, and are worth giving a go.

Nintendo really need to release a demo for Dillon honestly. I think that would help greatly.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm actually pretty happy that this guy is only an assist trophy. It's a nice nod to indie developers. Plus he's not taking the place of a potential bigger character for the roster.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
I feel bad for not knowing this character before. He looks so cool!

Top Bottom