• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 29th

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I
That picture looks like Mario is tripping. Sakurai said it's gone, but I still get anxious every time I see something resembling it
it might be the end of his dash animation but it does look similar. Sakurai would never lie. Even though he said ZSS wasn't coming back only to prove that wrong 3 seconds later

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Probably it's Mario's side taunt or something. I remember his d taunt looking like a trip.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Either Mario slipped on an off-screen banana peel, that's Mario's death taunt, or Eruption is just as scary as I remember from P:M.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
While I would also like to see Ragnel's Sword Beam in his moveset, I wouldn't have wanted Eruption gone over it, that move is too good to remove it.
If Sword Beam is implemented, fine; if not, not gonna lose sleep over it.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
On a character like Ike, weak anything is an insult.

Might be cool if his old side B always did the swing attack (if a target is there or not) and also did a wind push (no damage) that resembled his 2 range ragnell attack.

Would also make it okay to hit a shield as it'd push them away before they can shield grab
Good point, and I agree. I was just saying that weak projectiles themselves aren't useless. And I like the idea of adding the energy wave thing onto Quickdraw.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Sakurai be like "Trolololoooo here's the random trippin' back"

*i like to post inappropriate gifs*

No but seriously... people are stupid and naïve enough to believe their own made up ideas, don't forget to keep that in mind.

THERE WON'T BE ANY TRIPPING!!! Just by banana peels, nothing more.
Seriously? There are kids reading these posts. Get it together.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Mario is stunned by the manliness of Ike's power!!!

Hong

The Strongest
Right. Because Ike kept using blue flames as his primary form of attack in his games.
That's not it.

If you are going to make up moves for a character (which is 100% okay for a fighting game), you may as well go the whole way. How bummed would people be if Ganondorf's dark flames and Luigi's green flames were just stock particle effects?

Not going to lose sleep over it. Just rubs in the fact it was such a boring move to begin with.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ike: "Thunder! THUNDER! THUNDER CATS!! HOOOOOOO!!" *ahem* "I'm excited because I can't believe I'm back."

link2702

Smash Champion
does it annoy anyone else here that there are still noobs who think ike is op'd after over 6 years of brawl being out?

Seriously it's mind boggling how casual players haven't figured out how slow a lot of Ike's moves are after 6 years when competitive players figured it out within a day.

EDIT: as for mario.

It somewhat does look like a trip, and I'm pretty sure its not his taunt.

no banana in sight...

but there is another way charactesr can trip that I think people are forgetting....

I'm betting if we zoomed out we'd see the tingle AT on the stage with his trip effect active.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Mario is SKIDDING. In Brawl,to skid,you have to be running,then you make a sudden turn,and you face the opposite side,with one leg holding up,and a clutch of dust comes out as you lift your leg.

Problem solved.

Darknut

Smash Cadet
It seems really obvious to me Mario was dashing in from the left and pivoted, and that's either his stopping animation or the pivoting animation. When he's running fast in one direction and suddenly turns around. Notice the dust puffs to his left indicating he was running.

link2702

Smash Champion
Mario is SKIDDING. In Brawl,to skid,you have to be running,then you make a sudden turn,and you face the opposite side,with one leg holding up,and a clutch of dust comes out as you lift your leg.

Problem solved.
I never saw mario have shocked look on his face when skidding.

also his turn around animation was never like that.

I'd be willing to bet money its from the effects of the tingle assist trophy. It still more closely resembles his tripping animation, but we already know random tripping is gone. So it had to be started from an item of some kind.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I never saw mario have shocked look on his face when skidding.

also his turn around animation was never like that.

I'd be willing to bet money its from the effects of the tingle assist trophy. It still more closely resembles his tripping animation, but we already know random tripping is gone. So it had to be started from an item of some kind.
Characters are supposed to be "more expressive."

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
You guys, its obvious. Ikes Eruption now forces trips just like Bananas. Chill guys!

link2702

Smash Champion
Characters are supposed to be "more expressive."

That doesn't mean they suddenly would have a look of fear/shock on their face from just turning around.

again, mario's turn animation never had that look, it seems obvious that its from a trip. It far more closely fits the tripping animation than it does the turn around one

EDIT: I just noticed I wasted my 1,000th post here on an article comment....

Last edited:

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
If the whole tripping thing is back on this game alot of people are going to be RAGING.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
How can you guys see Mario tripping? It doesn't even look like a tripping animation at all, especially the tripping from brawl! Instead, he's most likely either doing his spinning taunt or is at the very tip of the platform, causing him to lose balance.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Is mario doing an edge animation? I'm not sure.

Anyway, I do hope they changed eruption in some way. I don't think it was very good in brawl.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
About the tripping thing. It's important to remember that Tingle is very likely still an assist trophy. Even if that is tripping, it could be from the "banana peels" random effect of his.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I guess I'm a little disappointed. Eruption is back in the same form as Brawl, no Ragnell projectile, no aura effect...it's not a deal breaker or anything, though.

Our next question is: What changes--if any--were made to Eruption? Is its hitbox bigger now? Does it have less end lag or is it safer to use overall?

And what's going on with Mario there? We know random tripping is gone, so either he's dodging or something made him trip. Did he get hit from below with a banana? Is Tingle somewhere offscreen?

...Or does it have something to do with that ring of light? Could that be a new effect of Eruption when it gets charged high enough, stunning opponents to ensure they get hit?

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
a few months ago

Sakurai:"Haha... These fools thought they'd get Ridley. Let's make him a stage hazard!!!"
Sakurai's assistant:"Good one boss!"

Now
Sakurai:"How should we depress the fans now... Deconfirm Mewtwo? King K?"
Assistant:"Smash boards just lit up talk about giving Ike blue flames after you confirmed him"
Sakurai":......On it"

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
Weak projectiles aren't pointless.

See: Fox, Falco
Weak projectiles aren't pointless, but they would likely make a sword beam significantly slower to fire than those lasers. Low fire rate and weak would not be a very exciting combination. Fast and weak could work, but... it would likely be a bit out of place with his moveset.
Anyway, just how I felt about it relating to Ike.

And, as Powerhouse said,
On a character like Ike, weak anything is an insult.
And yes I saw:
Good point, and I agree. I was just saying that weak projectiles themselves aren't useless. And I like the idea of adding the energy wave thing onto Quickdraw.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Our next question is: What changes--if any--were made to Eruption? Is its hitbox bigger now? Does it have less end lag or is it safer to use overall?

And what's going on with Mario there? We know random tripping is gone, so either he's dodging or something made him trip. Did he get hit from below with a banana? Is Tingle somewhere offscreen?

...Or does it have something to do with that ring of light? Could that be a new effect of Eruption when it gets charged high enough, stunning opponents to ensure they get hit?
At first I guessed the ring of light was showing where the hitbox would be, but that would be huge! Also in Brawl, the attack was centered on himself and mostly vertical. The more I look at it though, the more it seems that the circle is just a lighting effect (like a lens flare), as it's centered on his sword shine.

Can't tell what Mario is doing, but I'm guessing it's his dash turnaround. Did he use this in the demo vid?

Top Bottom