• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 28th

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Both games will have two screens, and if they've moved the damage percentages off to a separate screen, it's now harder to watch your opponent and their damage at the same time.
If they did that, it's at least optional; we've already seen footage in the Direct with the damage percentages on-screen with the fighters.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I remember reading a review of the Direct and that when someone was hit, steam flew out of them and people thought it was a visual representation of hitstun. Now i'm worried...

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I remember reading a review of the Direct and that when someone was hit, steam flew out of them and people thought it was a visual representation of hitstun. Now i'm worried...
In those videos the characters looked to be normal coloring, not this red tinted version also it was pretty clear the smoke was being made behind them not around.

Edit: Anyways I don't see why everyone is hating on this so much, if it happens only after 150% then in most matches we wont even see this.

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I can see this being really helpful in teams. At least for me it helps differentiate those at high percents from those at low percents on the other team. Provided this effect varies given the percentage and doesn't start at like 100% or something and stays fixed.

I can see this being even more helpful in free-for-all. My eyes are off from the action too long just figuring out who's the most vulnerable.
So I don't mind this little addition at all, it's not hindering gameplay in any way. If anything it's making me appreciate all these little details being put into the game.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Yea, I don't remember high-damage characters just casually emitting steam in any of the videos. Either this can be toggled or it happens at like 200%.

Malion

Smash Ace
while i think this is ok. That whole battle damaged look would have been awesome. Though admittedly not as fitting with ssb4's toony asthetic.

I'm reminded of when the villager hits his neighbours with the net.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I actually kind've like this visual indicator, it looks to be panic-inducing and gives you a bit of a wake up call to not get hit by that F-smash your opponent is throwing out. I don't get exactly why everyone is opposed to this, it's a nice cartoony/anime-esque touch.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Maybe it was just added because the developers thought it would be cool, and not for the reasons that you guys are assuming...

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Oh awesome! Remember when Brawl was originally going to have characters show battle damage? Well, now we can tell how damaged our opponents are without constantly glancing at the bottom of the screen.
but you won't notice the battle scars at all... only if you pause the screen and zoom in... while battling it won't be clear to see... thereforo this steam thingy could be an answer to that problem, but if it's better...? Nah!

Ragna22

Smash Ace
So what happens when you reach 999% of damage? Are you just a walking cloud of smoke?

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
That's such a steamy change~ (Rimshot)

Seriously though, I think this might get really funny in FFAs or Multi-Man/Mii modes.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
To all the haters, guess what. CONSTANT DASH DANCING AND WAVEDASHING LOOKS LIKE THIS ALREADY SO SHUTUP!

I'd rather have tons more costumes though, unless they're already in the game.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Hope we can turn it off, as everyone else is saying.

Does this deconfirm battle damage? Eh.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Yesss always wanted to enter Gear Second in Smash!

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
It also looks like the characters turn slightly red. Maybe it's the stage itself that has a red lighting to it, but the red is especially noticeable on Sheik. Maybe characters will be steaming and slightly flashing red. I hope that it's just a lighting thing and not actually flashing, because I feel like it could be the visual form of Pokemon's red health noise.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Cancelled Battle Damage feature from Brawl returns. I wish it was character specific though, like Link's Shield cracking or CF's Visor Breaking.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
This just seems weird to me. At least it's not very opaque. I don't really understand why humans who take a lot of damage would emit steam, although it would make sense for the robotic / mechanical characters.
In Smash 64, the characters were toys in someone's bedroom. Maybe they're all little robots this time? Just kidding, but still, I just don't get it.

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I always feel like the people talking about casual players ARE casual players.

Neat addition.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Haha, this feature doesn't matter much.

That being said people are wasting their energy being upset over it- it doesn't matter much.

It's interesting to say the least.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'll be honest, I thought I was dreaming when I saw the pic last night. But it makes sense for SSB3D, since the damage meters are likely on the bottom screen.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm hoping that the audio que when someone gets hit with a hard attack at high percents is still there. I thought it was great in Melee and I love how Project M used the sounds that Brawl decided against using for some reason. I thought It was a great indicator.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm hoping that the audio que when someone gets hit with a hard attack at high percents is still there. I thought it was great in Melee and I love how Project M used the sounds that Brawl decided against using for some reason. I thought It was a great indicator.
I think we've seen/heard the Brawl version and seen/heard the lack of the Melee version.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I find it ironic how there is a Smokey the Bear Ad. above as I am viewing this.

Top Bottom