• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - March 6th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away."

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away."

His moveset (So far) reminds me a lot of Steve fox's options from Tekken. Looks cool though. I still want to know his status on that knockout punch.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
I'm guessing the body hook is a combo setup move. If it doesn't knock players away then it should have them grounded or juggled in the air. I like it :3

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
This keeps making Little Mac more unique by the update. Also this might give mac an option with his body hook to get an opening for his KO punch and other moves. The move itself might cause a trip if it hits them on the ground from the description and how the move looks. I want this out already. :'(

DJVictor

Smash Cadet
NNID
VictorLarbi
its like marths side B you can do the same and the Up B is a bbit like marths to..

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
If only they would've had this up yesterday, I would've been able to make a hump day joke like "Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac! What day is it, Mac?"

LMacPunch

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMacPunch
It's mechanics like this that will distinguish the noobs from the pros.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Don't forget his second comment:
The trick in activating these punches is to avoid tilting the controls diagonally from the get go--instead, tilt up or down right after the smash attack starts kicking in. You can also tilt up or down while you're powering up.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm glad it's easy to perform, always hated to tilt the stick diagonally and instead ended up doing an Up Smash.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Very interesting that only Mac has been shown to have this ability. It'd be cool if a few other characters had their side smash changed to include variations, but I guess considering his lack of air options, it makes sense to give more more than the standard ground options.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Very interesting that only Mac has been shown to have this ability. It'd be cool if a few other characters had their side smash changed to include variations, but I guess considering his lack of air options, it makes sense to give more more than the standard ground options.
Other characters has had this ability in the past. Samus and Mario was able to change the angels of their side smash in Brawl. There are others, but those 2 are the ones I can think of off the type of my head.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Other characters has had this ability in the past. Samus and Mario was able to change the angels of their side smash in Brawl. There are others, but those 2 are the ones I can think of off the type of my head.
Yeah I remember some characters being able to tilt their side smashes, but this is clearly beyond that. Changing the angle of the same attack is one thing, but changing the angle of the input in order to do a different attack is quite another.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah I remember some characters being able to tilt their side smashes, but this is clearly beyond that. Changing the angle of the same attack is one thing, but changing the angle of the input in order to do a different attack is quite another.
That is true. But at it's core it's still the same.
Who knows if those characters will get changes as well.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Little Mac is looking good so far. Now i might wanna buy the wiiu
for games like this. *sighs*

:pow:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I thought this was his side-B for a moment. I like how it's similar to it though, and I still hope they implement a side-B that's like Marth's. Like a string of punches.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
Luigi, Kirby and Sonic were some of the most noticable, but Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and most characters who don't bring the attack from above their heads like Ike, Marth, D3, and G&W.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm liking this unique moveset I'm seeing. The options are definitely welcome. You could easily be tricky with your smash attacks. Which is sweet!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Cool. Sounds to me like it will make trying to DI it properly more difficult/dependent on the victim getting a good read.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I personally hope you can still angle it with the C-Stick (equivalent on the WiiU controller). It'd be fast to set up that down-angled FSmash in a combo, which looks a lot like a launcher/pop-up move and hilariously leads right into the up-angled FSmash, an Up-B or an aerial. Me likey.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm curious to see how the response is going to be with the new smash in terms of competitive play. Personally I'm going to play PM and Smash 4 but there's no GC controller(unless you have an adapter to have it work on the Wii U) so I'm curious to see what will become of it. Will people pick it up? Adapt?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'm curious to see how the response is going to be with the new smash in terms of competitive play. Personally I'm going to play PM and Smash 4 but there's no GC controller(unless you have an adapter to have it work on the Wii U) so I'm curious to see what will become of it. Will people pick it up? Adapt?
Well, obviously, we won't know how the competitive scene will play out until release(or at least a demo becomes available). So far, I think it has a fair shot at being competitive.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The Wii U Pro Controller is pretty close to it, isn't it? That'd probably end up being the default for us competitive types.

So Mac has even more variance than normal on his f-smash. Seems like they're giving him a ton of advantages between that, super armor on a few of his attacks, and that knockout punch we still need to know more about. Will his air and offstage games really be that bad in order to compensate? Or maybe these advantages only seem really good right now. After all, Pit had a ton going for him in Brawl but he also had enough flaws where it evened out and made him pretty average...

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Well no, they didn't have it like this, a lot of characters could change the directions but this different because each f-smash has different properties depending on the tilt

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
I love reading the comments here cause alot of Miiverse is just crying about how this was waste. Sakurai tries so hard and they expect more than that

Anyway, I am impressed that he technically has 3 different forward Smash (which we might see in the trailer, im not sure). This will be an interesting character for sure and am I the only one who agrees what after someone saying that ChuDat looks like LIttle Mac that he will be maining him

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
The Wii U Pro Controller is pretty close to it, isn't it? That'd probably end up being the default for us competitive types.
It probably will just for the fact that the only alternative is the Classic Controller(probably). Personally, I find the GamePad extremely comfortable, but have yet to try the Pro Controller. Bit of a bummer that the Wii U only supports one(technically two) GamePads at once...

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well no, they didn't have it like this, a lot of characters could change the directions but this different because each f-smash has different properties depending on the tilt
The tilt smashes did have different properties, because i know from experience that Samus' down tilt F-smash angled opponents towards the ground.

And as i mentioned before this thing takes it one step further, but the core mechanic has existed in past smash games.

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
The tilt smashes did have different properties, because i know from experience that Samus' down tilt F-smash angled opponents towards the ground.

And as i mentioned before this thing takes it one step further, but the core mechanic has existed in past smash games.
That can also be DI thing, but yea. But I would say the concept was there but this is kind of a different feature cause it almost acts like a different move. Samus' move launched you no matter what, his low body sweep doesn't launch but instead might pop you into a juggle state

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Reminds me a little of Mario's f smash ( not the uppercut though )

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
That can also be DI thing, but yea. But I would say the concept was there but this is kind of a different feature cause it almost acts like a different move. Samus' move launched you no matter what, his low body sweep doesn't launch but instead might pop you into a juggle state
Like i said, ive seen Samus' D tilt F smash traject characters downward at an angle quite a few times. Noticeable around the 50-70%. Little Mac differs greatly due to his smash tilts changing not trajectory but also his hitboxes.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Like i said, ive seen Samus' D tilt F smash traject characters downward at an angle quite a few times. Noticeable around the 50-70%. Little Mac differs greatly due to his smash tilts changing not trajectory but also his hitboxes.
that's what I have been saying and you have. Its half and half, it has a similar concept but in actual use its different

Top Bottom